HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brad Richards News Part IV

View Poll Results: Will Richards Sign In NY?
Yes 118 53.15%
No 64 28.83%
Kesler Did It 40 18.02%
Voters: 222. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 06:34 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Dreger was on NHL Live. The Rangers have told him they won't pay Richards upwards of $7M. They want for less than $7M. Dreger speculated Toronto or LA might meet his demands.

It's good that Slats is more realistic than the fans.

Plus, even if all things are equal, I would prefer to go to LA than the Rangers the Kings are closer to winning the Cup than the Rangers (and the weather is beautiful there during the hockey season).

Old
06-10-2011, 06:34 PM
GregNYR19
agitator

Send a message via AIM to GregNYR19
ive been tweeting at him to join the rangers and save us and if he does ill get an authentic home #91

@gregnyr19

Old
06-10-2011, 06:44 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
let richards walk if he wants. I am tired of big ticket free agents.

Here is an idea. Clear cap space. KEEP THE CAP SPACE, tank a few seasons and GET SOME HIGH DRAFT PICKS. Next years draft is supposed to be a good one allegedly.

I understand hank is not getting any younger, but you know what? Hank is not the rangers. The rangers have Hank on their team. Big difference.

Fans want to toss everything into the fire to get the best free agents so hank has a chance to win a cup in the meantime we bargain the future away.

There have been LOTS of good players who have not won the cup. Lets draw a plan up. Stick to the plan. Whether hank gets the cup or not.
It's not about getting Hank a cup, it's realizing that the longer we wait, we'll just end up creating as many holes as we fix.

Old
06-10-2011, 06:45 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post

Plus, even if all things are equal, I would prefer to go to LA than the Rangers the Kings are closer to winning the Cup than the Rangers (and the weather is beautiful there during the hockey season).
That might be the worst reason I ever heard to debate whether or not we should get a star player to improve our team.

Old
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
It's not about getting Hank a cup, it's realizing that the longer we wait, we'll just end up creating as many holes as we fix.
Couldnt have said that better myself.....and its much harder to find a goalie.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
Couldnt have said that better myself.....and its much harder to find a goalie.
Not to mention that our current younger players come much cheaper in terms of cap hits while they're still young. For exampe, right now our top defensive pairing is only costing us a combined $7.3 mil cap hit. 4 years from now it's going to cost us several mil more. Easier to be more competitive while your key roster players are younger and earning less because it frees up more cap space for filling out the remainder of your roster.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:19 PM
frozenrubber

Quote:
Dreger was on NHL Live. The Rangers have told him they won't pay Richards upwards of $7M. They want for less than $7M. Dreger speculated Toronto or LA might meet his demands.
This talking through the press to players/agents honestly has to stop.

Both Toronto and the Rangers have been exploiting speaking through the media to players under contract, and until July 1st, Brad Richards is a Dallas Star, and this is bordering on tampering.

I don't care that Dallas isn't going to re-sign him, if other teams were doing the same to a Ranger UFA to be, I'd be equally pissed.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:29 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:

Here is an idea. Clear cap space. KEEP THE CAP SPACE, tank a few seasons and GET SOME HIGH DRAFT PICKS. Next years draft is supposed to be a good one allegedly.
And do what with all this cap space? Put it in the bank, and save it for a rainy day? It took me a long time to jump on the Richards bandwagon. The team IS rebuilt. It has 2 -- literally, 2 holes it needs to fill. Richards fills both those holes.

If Gaborik played like himself, or Callahan was healthy, we very well could have advanced passed the Caps. You throw Richards in the mix, add another years experience to our rookies and young core, and you have a true competitor.

You people need to get away from this "rebuild" fantasy. It doesn't guarantee success. NEITHER DOES USING THE CAPS LOCK KEY TO PROVE A POINT.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:32 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

vCash: 823
Why can't Sather just front-load the **** out of the contract? I know Sather doesn't like to do that, but why does it matter to him?

06-10-2011, 07:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

Quote:
So they're willing to pay him what he's worth. LAK and TML can't pay him north of 7m either. Neither of those teams have the cap space after they sign their RFAs. Richards is going to have to come down to reality if he thinks he's getting north of 7m.

Old
06-10-2011, 07:40 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by frozenrubber View Post
This talking through the press to players/agents honestly has to stop.

Both Toronto and the Rangers have been exploiting speaking through the media to players under contract, and until July 1st, Brad Richards is a Dallas Star, and this is bordering on tampering.

I don't care that Dallas isn't going to re-sign him, if other teams were doing the same to a Ranger UFA to be, I'd be equally pissed.
Yeah I'm kind of skeptical about all this too and if the Rangers really are leaking info directly to the press they need to watch themselves. They've never done this before so it would seem rather unusual, but...it's kind of weird

Old
06-10-2011, 07:52 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Hradek asked Dreger about Dallas possibly trading Richards rights and Dreger said that's strong possibility but then contradicted himself by stating Richards controls the situation with the NTC. Then Dreger's cell phone went out and NHL Live couldn't him back on the air. Hradek added he heard Richards wants to go to July 1 to hear all of the offers.

Dreger didn't mention TB.

Reportedly(LeBrun and Simmons),Richards doesn't want to play in Toronto. Kevin Allen said on NHL Live this week,Richards wants to play in the east.

Yzerman spoke today about his situation

Stamkos and Brewer are at the top of his list then come the other guys

Quote:
For the Lightning, that means also being able to sign goalies Dwayne Roloson and Mike Smith, and wings Sean Bergenheim and Teddy Purcell. Wing Simon Gagne, who had a good second half of the season and playoff, but also had injury issues, might be one of those players further down the list.

Yzerman also has to be cognizant of potential free agents for whom he might want to bid; Brad Richards anyone?

"Before we can worry about any potential player," Yzerman said, speaking generally, "I have to know how much money I have left over."
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1174633.ece

Old
06-10-2011, 07:54 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
And do what with all this cap space? Put it in the bank, and save it for a rainy day? It took me a long time to jump on the Richards bandwagon. The team IS rebuilt. It has 2 -- literally, 2 holes it needs to fill. Richards fills both those holes.

If Gaborik played like himself, or Callahan was healthy, we very well could have advanced passed the Caps. You throw Richards in the mix, add another years experience to our rookies and young core, and you have a true competitor.

You people need to get away from this "rebuild" fantasy. It doesn't guarantee success. NEITHER DOES USING THE CAPS LOCK KEY TO PROVE A POINT.
We have more than 2 holes to fill...

Top line center, top line winger, 2nd line winger, power play quarterback.

Gaborik not only needs a complementary center, but another competent winger. No more of this Vinny Prospal/Erik Christensen stuff.

We also need a clear cut 2nd line winger. I dont want hear about another center being converted to play wing. We have too many passive players who lack scoring ability on our first 2 lines. That means no Dubinsky or Anisimov as our 2nd line left wing next year... or Derek Stepan as our right wing...

Finally we need a power play QB... and a coach who will teach this group of players that the goal is not around the boards... i'm sick and tired of a) watching the puck go up and down the boards. it leads to many turn overs and clearances, little offense, and ultimately frustration for everyone involved - players, coaches, and fans... and b) not having a ****ing point shot who is willing to actually shoot on net (seeing as how our pointmen love shooting 5-10 feet to the right of left of the net... yea im looking at you Dan Girardi and Michael Sauer).

Richards fills 1 and a half of those 4 holes. He runs a decent point, he doesnt have some monster shot which will keep defenders at bay.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:01 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
So they're willing to pay him what he's worth. LAK and TML can't pay him north of 7m either. Neither of those teams have the cap space after they sign their RFAs. Richards is going to have to come down to reality if he thinks he's getting north of 7m.
The Maple Leafs, after signing their RFAs, have that cap space and more, actually.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:02 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
Why can't Sather just front-load the **** out of the contract? I know Sather doesn't like to do that, but why does it matter to him?
What?

Practically all of the contracts Sather hands out are front-loaded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjets36 View Post
We have more than 2 holes to fill...

Top line center, top line winger, 2nd line winger, power play quarterback.

Gaborik not only needs a complementary center, but another competent winger. No more of this Vinny Prospal/Erik Christensen stuff.

We also need a clear cut 2nd line winger. I dont want hear about another center being converted to play wing. We have too many passive players who lack scoring ability on our first 2 lines. That means no Dubinsky or Anisimov as our 2nd line left wing next year... or Derek Stepan as our right wing...

Finally we need a power play QB... and a coach who will teach this group of players that the goal is not around the boards... i'm sick and tired of a) watching the puck go up and down the boards. it leads to many turn overs and clearances, little offense, and ultimately frustration for everyone involved - players, coaches, and fans... and b) not having a ****ing point shot who is willing to actually shoot on net (seeing as how our pointmen love shooting 5-10 feet to the right of left of the net... yea im looking at you Dan Girardi and Michael Sauer).

Richards fills 1 and a half of those 4 holes. He runs a decent point, he doesnt have some monster shot which will keep defenders at bay.

Dubinsky______Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-MZA
Feds-Boyle-Prust

Don't want Prospal as our #2LW? Maybe one of MZA, Wolski, Boyle, or Grachev can fill the void.

I have a lot of faith in Del Zotto, which is why I didn't think we had another hole. I think the combination of Richards+Del Zotto could be exceptional. Especially if another LH shot is on the right side of the blue-line with his stick cocked back (Erixon).

So, yea, imo we have 2 legitimate holes that needs to be filled, and Brad Richads fills them both.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:05 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The Rangers have been leaking how much they want to pay Richards since the winter.

Quote:
As far as the Rangers are concerned, sources close to the team said tonight that there is some feeling the Rangers would want Richards not just for a stretch run this season, but to have the exclusive negotiating window before July 1 to try and sign him to a long-term contract.

Reports around the league have indicated that the bidding for Richards on July 1 could get crazy, seeing as how he's the top center available. But it doesn't appear as though the Rangers, who almost always get their man on day one of free agency, will go nuts for Richards should he reach the open market.

They will, as has been reported here and elsewhere, not be going nuts tomorrow for Richards either. From people I've talked to, the Rangers' first-round pick would be in play in a possible deal, but it's doubtful any of the core players currently on the NHL roster would be seriously discussed.
http://mobile.newsday.com/inf/infomo...ed:i=1.2717805

Brooks wrote last Sunday about $6.5M being the Rangers number.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:06 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
What?

I mean front-loaded to the extent of a Kovalchuk contract, but way less than 14(?) years.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:11 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneone View Post
I mean front-loaded to the extent of a Kovalchuk contract, but way less than 14(?) years.
Devils were penalized last summer for those types of contracts.

If that what it takes for a player to come here, then I probably don't even want him.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:13 PM
Kane One
HFB Partner

Quote:
Devils were penalized last summer for those types of contracts.

If that what it takes for a player to come here, then I probably don't even want him.
Good points.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:17 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Huh? No one here is particularly interested in signing Richards if it means a cap hit large than 7 million. At most, people are basically willing to settle for 7.5, which is a relatively minor difference, all things considered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
That's not true. They'll both have plenty of money left over, especially the Leafs. Too bad Richards won't want to play for them.

Old
06-10-2011, 08:53 PM
NikC

Quote:

I understand hank is not getting any younger, but you know what? Hank is not the rangers. The rangers have Hank on their team. Big difference.

Fans want to toss everything into the fire to get the best free agents so hank has a chance to win a cup in the meantime we bargain the future away.

There have been LOTS of good players who have not won the cup. Lets draw a plan up. Stick to the plan. Whether hank gets the cup or not.
Did you happen to hear/read the interview with Shoenfield last month? You and and any other ranger fan that has this "tank fantasy" need realize what franchise you are following!

They will NEVER tank deliberately! That is not the way they do things here. Jim Shoenfield said it clearly! When and if Sather finally leaves, I still doubt ownership would allow that to happen.

Fans of this team who are "in reality" realize we have to rely on the draft, UFA, and trades to aquire talent. How many times must you hear that this team never finishes low enought to get top picks?
Are you getting it?

There's a reason why people want to sign the "next big star"! We have NO top line talent in our prospect pool. We might have a few top six players coming up. Because of this, myself and other are always hopefully they can bring in another top player that fits this system.

No offense, but either come to grips with the philosophy of this franchise or find another team to follow. do yourself a favor.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

I don't really know how this stuff works, but can't the Rangers give him a signing bonus so that we can pay him less. For example, give him a 6.5 mil contract (6.5 cap hit too) and then give him a 7 mil signing bonus (1 mil per year, assuming a 7 year contract is signed)? or are signing bonuses only allowed for ELC's?

Old
06-10-2011, 09:15 PM
Rust Heisenberg

Quote:
What?

Dubinsky______Gaborik
Prospal-Anisimov-Callahan
Wolski-Stepan-MZA
Feds-Boyle-Prust

Don't want Prospal as our #2LW? Maybe one of MZA, Wolski, Boyle, or Grachev can fill the void.

I have a lot of faith in Del Zotto, which is why I didn't think we had another hole. I think the combination of Richards+Del Zotto could be exceptional. Especially if another LH shot is on the right side of the blue-line with his stick cocked back (Erixon).

So, yea, imo we have 2 legitimate holes that needs to be filled, and Brad Richads fills them both.
Dubinsky doesn't belong on the 1st line. He's a questionable 2nd line winger, ideally a 3rd liner. He's part of the soul of this team, unfortunately, despite the fact that he's our leading scorer, he's not talented enough to be on our first line. If we were to compare him in basketball terms, he's the hockey equivalent to a ball stopper. He has little vision on the ice, not a great passer, and not a great shooter. The majority of his shots are either between the lettering on the goalie's chest, whiffed upon, or go wide. However, he is a valuable asset to our team because he's the heart that keeps churning, the energy that is needed when the rest of the team needs a boost. He's capable of being a 2nd liner because of the sheer fact that he is able to produce a decent amount of points (due mostly to his puck-hoggish nature, however, his role is best as a 3rd liner.

As for Prospal, he shouldn't be on this team next year. He can't keep up with our youth. He's unpredictable, his knee was clearly not anywhere near close to 100% last year, he could be out at any time, and even if he's not what are the benefits to having a 1 legged player on our 2nd line? There are none, he's a veteran, but at this point in his career not much more. If he's on our 2nd line next year, we're in a lot of trouble. Him being on the 1st line this year pretty much summed up our offense this year... Someone who had the heart and determination to come back, even when he wasn't supposed to, who has some offensive talent, but just doesn't cut it.

Anisimov I would prefer to be on the 3rd line, although he is perfectly capable of being our 2nd line center. I just prefer Stepan as our 2nd line center, although if he doesn't improve on face-offs Anisimov should be it. They both have very comparable offensive skill sets, whoever is better on face-offs deserves the spot. Thing is however, if our 3rd line is our energy line, Anisimov is better suited to be the center as he's bigger and more physical than Stepan, who is more about finesse and offense.

Onto the 3rd line... Wolski is being bought out. He's also in Tortarella's dog house. That line may have clicked last season but I doubt we see anything more than a short reprisal of it during the course of this season (that is if Wolski isn't bought out). Aside from that, although Wolski has the talent, he's not going to fit on this team. He'll be a healthy scratch or a 4th line player.

Zuccarrello is someone who I am uncertain about on this team. Obviously the hope is that he turns out similar to St. Louis, however, exactly where does he fit? We have a surplus of 3rd and 4th line players, and while Zuccarrello can be on the 2nd line I just don't think he fits on this team. He's not explosive enough to really be a top 6 player. He also disappears during the course of the season. Maybe it was because it was his first year in the NHL, it's an adjustment period, especially since he is getting used to the different rink size and rules from Europe, however, I just don't see his place on this team... unless he somehow becomes an identical copy of St. Louis and finds his place on the 1st line. He's just not that dynamic of a player. He's just a phenomenal shoot out specialist who has a lot of hype because he's decent and can play at the NHL at his height.

Besides that, I like Avery with Prust and Boyle. That's one hell of a grinding line that will give energy off every game. Fedetenko is an ideal 3rd liner. I see him on the same line with Anisimov and Dubinsky. Stepan and Callahan are my 2 slotted 2nd liners. And Gaborik is my slotted 1st liner.

Hopefully Richards (at a manageable contract length and salary - 4-5 years at 6.5-7 mill ideally) is our 1st line center. Then we either have to wait until the following year for our other 1st line winger or trade for one at some point. Kreider will likely come up next year too, however, i don't see him being better than a dominant 2nd line winger - and that's throughout his career not just when he comes in. I see him as the 2nd line winger fix after this year.

As for pp QB, Del Zotto is similar to Richards. He can move the puck around well, has above average vision on the ice which will hopefully develop into great vision and decision making, however he lacks the explosive point shot we need. We have no one to do that. McCabe was the closest we came to that this year and he's on the decline. We need a Shea Weber esque player.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:22 PM
NikC

good analysis kenjets36. So glad i'm not the only one who doesn't want to see broken down prospal on this team next year.
I like Fedatenkos game as well but he's not as rugged as he used to
be. We could upgrade over him.

Finally someone who sees Dubinsky for what he is as well.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:42 PM
bassassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I don't really know how this stuff works, but can't the Rangers give him a signing bonus so that we can pay him less. For example, give him a 6.5 mil contract (6.5 cap hit too) and then give him a 7 mil signing bonus (1 mil per year, assuming a 7 year contract is signed)? or are signing bonuses only allowed for ELC's?
Bonuses are allowed on ELCs and 35+ contracts.

Closed Thread