HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2011, 08:12 PM
  #951
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Let me ask you...would you draft Ryan Suter, Konstantin Glazachev and Kevin Klien before you draft Shea Weber?

Ironically, Nashville drafted those 3 before Weber...do you think anyone thought Weber would be as good as he become?

Yet, we all know this kid is going to fail...he might, he might not, I am hoping that he exceeds because I am a Ranger fan and only want the best for my team, get it?
Ryan Suter is better than Weber, so, yeah.

__________________

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:13 PM
  #952
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Ryan Suter is better than Weber, so, yeah.
Wow.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:16 PM
  #953
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Wow.
"Wow" is your only response?

Ask any Nashville fan -- 95% of them will tell you Suter is the better player between the two. I don't even need Nashville fans to decide that for me, though -- Suter is pretty clearly the better defenseman. Weber has more "flash" in his game. The big shot and the hits makes him much more noticeable -- but being more noticeable doesn't make him any better. Suter is smarter, smoother, has a better outlet pass, excellent vision, and nearly flawless positioning. He's probably the single most consistent defenseman in the NHL, sans Lidstrom. He just doesn't get the media attention that a Weber would.

BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
  #954
rangers1024
Registered User
 
rangers1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
You're using the contract as a piece of evidence that McIlrath is developing exactly how the NYR want him to when regardless of his play, McIlrath was going to get a contract.

rangers1024 is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:21 PM
  #955
broadwayblue
Registered User
 
broadwayblue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 15,085
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Dammit, we;;, there goes Zibanejad.

On the bright side... someone has to fall.
If he was previously ranked outside the top 15 that would be correct...but as far as I'm aware he's been projected as a top 10 or so pick for months now. So I'm not sure anyone "has" to fall.

broadwayblue is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:22 PM
  #956
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Dammit, we;;, there goes Zibanejad.

On the bright side... someone has to fall.
Joel Armia.

BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:29 PM
  #957
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
You're using the contract as a piece of evidence that McIlrath is developing exactly how the NYR want him to when regardless of his play, McIlrath was going to get a contract.
where did i say that...

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:33 PM
  #958
rangers1024
Registered User
 
rangers1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
When you say:

Quote:
So, the Rangers just signed him to cover up their mistake?
It implies that you think he got the contract because of his play.

rangers1024 is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:36 PM
  #959
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
"Wow" is your only response?

Ask any Nashville fan -- 95% of them will tell you Suter is the better player between the two. I don't even need Nashville fans to decide that for me, though -- Suter is pretty clearly the better defenseman. Weber has more "flash" in his game. The big shot and the hits makes him much more noticeable -- but being more noticeable doesn't make him any better. Suter is smarter, smoother, has a better outlet pass, excellent vision, and nearly flawless positioning. He's probably the single most consistent defenseman in the NHL, sans Lidstrom. He just doesn't get the media attention that a Weber would.
I disagree...but that is just me...Weber is also nominated for the Norris.

I think Suter is a very good dman but he is not better than Weber.

Weber has scored 40 or more points 4 out of 6 years and only played 54 games due to injury in one of those years.

Suter has only scored 4o points once in 6 years.

I'd also be willing to put money on the line if you took a poll that Weber would be the preferred choice.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:37 PM
  #960
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
When you say:



It implies that you think he got the contract because of his play.
so, why did he get the contract?

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:38 PM
  #961
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I disagree...but that is just me...Weber is also nominated for the Norris.

I think Suter is a very good dman but he is not better than Weber.

Weber has scored 40 or more points 4 out of 6 years and only played 54 games due to injury in one of those years.

Suter has only scored 4o points once in 6 years.

I'd also be willing to put money on the line if you took a poll that Weber would be the preferred choice.
Go ask Nashville fans -- they watch them 82 games a year. They know better than anyone.

BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:39 PM
  #962
rangers1024
Registered User
 
rangers1024's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Niagara
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,282
vCash: 500
I don't know why he got the contract, but it's incorrect to say with certainty that his play this season was the reason.

rangers1024 is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:46 PM
  #963
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Yeah, alot of Nashville fans think Suter is better than Weber.

TBH though, if I had to choose between the two to pair with Staal, I'd pick Weber.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 08:56 PM
  #964
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah, alot of Nashville fans think Suter is better than Weber.

TBH though, if I had to choose between the two to pair with Staal, I'd pick Weber.
So would I, but that's because of the handedness deal and whatnot.

If I had to build my franchise around one, Suter, please.

BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:00 PM
  #965
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
And I would take the 6'5 235 beast.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
  #966
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
I don't know why he got the contract, but it's incorrect to say with certainty that his play this season was the reason.
ok, so neither one of us know exactly the reason why he got a contract.

Maybe they realize he needs work and they want to get their hands on him sooner to define those skills..which would make total sense to me...

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:01 PM
  #967
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Yes, because size is clearly the most important aspect in determining a player's worth.

Weber shouldn't have even been brought up...there is a <1% chance that McIlrath becomes Weber, mainly because the only thing the have in common is size and physicality.

BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:09 PM
  #968
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Yes, because size is clearly the most important aspect in determining a player's worth.

Weber shouldn't have even been brought up...there is a <1% chance that McIlrath becomes Weber, mainly because the only thing the have in common is size and physicality.
If Weber and Suter are very similar skill wise with Suter being slightly better in skill but Weber exponential more physcial and can better protect his teammate than for me, I prefer Weber.

Again, how do you know McIlrath cannot develop?

I mean do you realize you are making a statment like it is a fact, do you see nothing wrong with that?

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
  #969
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
McIlrath can develop. But Weber is one of the leagues premiere d-men and Big Mac will have to develop A LOT to be anywhere near the player Weber is. So far I don't see it, though I hope he impresses next year.

I also don't think the gap between Suter and Weber is big enough that picking Weber over Suter would be a catastrophic decision, so I agree with you there.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:12 PM
  #970
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM
 
BrianBoyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: On the grass
Country: United States
Posts: 51,686
vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
If Weber and Suter are very similar skill wise with Suter being slightly better in skill but Weber exponential more physcial and can better protect his teammate than for me, I prefer Weber.

Again, how do you know McIlrath cannot develop?

I mean do you realize you are making a statment like it is a fact, do you see nothing wrong with that?
Saying McIlrath will become Weber is pretty much the same as saying, I don't know, any 6'4 19 year old defenseman would become him -- it's, essentially baseless.

Again -- physicality is probably the least important aspect of a player's game. Suter's stick skills and anticipation are clearly superior to Weber's.

Either way, it's pretty much preference between the two, so enough of something so off-topic.

BrianBoyle is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:17 PM
  #971
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,046
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
McIlrath can develop. But Weber is one of the leagues premiere d-men and Big Mac will have to develop A LOT to be anywhere near the player Weber is. So far I don't see it, though I hope he impresses next
You're comparing a defenseman with several years in the league to a prospect - of course the prospect isnt going to measure up. Do you not see how this is an unfair comparison? I says nothing about McIlrath at all.

Weber was a prospect too at one point...and i'm sure there were doubts about him too.

NYRangers16 is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:18 PM
  #972
Orr Nightmare
Registered User
 
Orr Nightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1,604
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Saying McIlrath will become Weber is pretty much the same as saying, I don't know, any 6'4 19 year old defenseman would become him -- it's, essentially baseless.

Again -- physicality is probably the least important aspect of a player's game. Suter's stick skills and anticipation are clearly superior to Weber's.

Either way, it's pretty much preference between the two, so enough of something so off-topic.
I said I hope he becomes Weber, that is not the same as you saying the there is less than 1 percent chance.

Suter is the superior player, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Orr Nightmare is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:19 PM
  #973
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
You're comparing a defenseman with several years in the league to a prospect - of course the prospect isnt going to measure up. Do you not see how this is an unfair comparison? I says nothing about McIlrath at all.

Weber was a prospect too at one point...and i'm sure there were doubts about him too.
McIlrath has not shown a semblance of the offensive game that makes Weber who he is. They're physical big d-men. McIlrath needs to add a lot more to his game to even be comparable to Weber, imo.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:35 PM
  #974
CM PUNK
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 3,215
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latexi84 View Post
Dallas (picking at 14) interviewed Armia for 3 hours instead of the casual 20 minutes.
With my luck the Finnish player is picked one spot before our turn again.



For comparable i'd say hmmmm.... Semin?
Picking at 15 seems like one of the most "problematic" spots in this draft, i don't think there will be any prospects with big upside available. BTW i really want offence.. i'll punch my mom if we pick a defender.
i try not to get too excited over yt videos cause a highlight video can make anyone look good...but he looks flat out nasty in that video. 'it' moved a little lol

CM PUNK is offline  
Old
06-10-2011, 09:38 PM
  #975
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 17,618
vCash: 500
I think Armia would be a fantastic pick at 15 in this draft. Don't know why some people wouldn't want to take him.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.