HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2011 NHL Entry Draft/Other Prospects (All NON-RANGERS Prospect Discussion - Part 3) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
06-10-2011, 09:44 PM
NYRangers16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
McIlrath has not shown a semblance of the offensive game that makes Weber who he is. They're physical big d-men. McIlrath needs to add a lot more to his game to even be comparable to Weber, imo.
Of course he does, and he has years to do it. Weber at McIlrath's age and development level needed to work on a lot too. You can't expect McIlrath to exhibit the same skills that Weber has after years as a prospect, developing, playing in the NHL and bcoming a Norris finalist.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:45 PM
NYRangers16

I really think you fail to ndertand the basic nature of time.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:53 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

He has years to do it...but he isn't doing it now so how can you POSSIBLY compare him to Weber? Because they're big and physical? So is Mika Zibanejad gonna be as good as Nicklas Backstrom because they're Swedish and over 6 feet tall? He has to play a game similar to Weber before he can be compared to Weber. Right now he absolutely should NOT be drawing Weber comparisons. Can he in the future? Very possible. But right now, I do not see it.

Old
06-10-2011, 09:59 PM
Alvvays
I know u u cant sing

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
I said I hope he becomes Weber, that is not the same as you saying the there is less than 1 percent chance.

Suter is the superior player, thanks for clearing that up for me.
You said you expect him to perform at a Shea Weber level, not "hope".

Old
06-10-2011, 10:01 PM
NYRangers16

I never compared him to Weber - I'm saying give him a chance. Just cause you don't see it now, doesn't mean you won't later. I know it's hard to be patient, but nobody's a finished product coming out of the draft. How many goals did Stamkos score his rookie year? It takes time. And more-so with guys who aren't immediately world class. Weber is now, but he wasn't then - same as McIlrath ...just saying it's way way wayyyy too early to judge.

PS hated the pick, wanted an offensive forward, but too late to argue that point. Hopefully he turns out well.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duskfamous View Post
You will only set yourself up for disappointment, comparing a goon-type prospect to the likely Norris Trophy winner.
I agree that the comparison should stop because that is the absolute best case scenario/pipe dream. when he makes it to the nhl and shows he can play top 4 than we can get revisit the comparison...

that said though, to be fair comparing a 19 year old shea weber to the current shea weber would have been a joke too. at the same stage weber was closer to mcilrath than shea weber. in 2003, there was 12 dman draft ahead of him. and before his draft year he only had 2g, 16a (which is less than mcilrath prior to his draft year).

problem though is just cause they started at a similar point that doesn't mean they will end up at the same point...ever 6'7+ dman that comes along gets compared to chara. but for every tyler myer there is a boris valabik that totally bust. weber made an insane amount of improvement from his draft.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:05 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I agree, it's way too early to judge. I'd love to see McIlrath succeed even though I wanted Tarasenko, but right now I don't think you can expect him to become a Weber like player. Not that i'm being impatient, just that at this point I don't think he has shown flashes of becoming a d-man like that. He absolutely could, he's a beast of a human so you can only hope his game improves to match his monstrous frame, but we should wait until he shows more next year before giving him Weber comparisons.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:11 PM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRangers16 View Post
I never compared him to Weber - I'm saying give him a chance. Just cause you don't see it now, doesn't mean you won't later. I know it's hard to be patient, but nobody's a finished product coming out of the draft. How many goals did Stamkos score his rookie year? It takes time. And more-so with guys who aren't immediately world class. Weber is now, but he wasn't then - same as McIlrath ...just saying it's way way wayyyy too early to judge.

PS hated the pick, wanted an offensive forward, but too late to argue that point. Hopefully he turns out well.
All he is saying is that McIlrath hasn't shown anything in his game to compare his 'style' or his 'game' to Weber.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:15 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
All he is saying is that McIlrath hasn't shown anything in his game to compare his 'style' or his 'game' to Weber.
Fair enough

Old
06-10-2011, 10:19 PM
NYRangers16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I agree, it's way too early to judge. I'd love to see McIlrath succeed even though I wanted Tarasenko, but right now I don't think you can expect him to become a Weber like player. Not that i'm being impatient, just that at this point I don't think he has shown flashes of becoming a d-man like that. He absolutely could, he's a beast of a human so you can only hope his game improves to match his monstrous frame, but we should wait until he shows more next year before giving him Weber comparisons.
I think you gotta see how he grows and how his game develops. I agree, him becoming Weber is a pipe dream, but then again, Shea Weber becoming Shea Weber was one too, so we can dream, right?

I do think we need to start focusing on offensive forwards, I mean our defense and grinders seem to be set for quite awhile Only exception I'd make is if there's a huge difference between the BAF and BAD, in which case I guess you gotta take the Dman.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:21 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
So would I, but that's because of the handedness deal and whatnot.

If I had to build my franchise around one, Suter, please.
I think Suter is the overall better player, but Shea Weber is just a beast, he'll sell tickets, he's big, he's Canadian, he's a leader, epic playoff beard, best slap shot in the league, punishing checker, etc.

Give me Shea Weber.

Old
06-10-2011, 10:27 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
I'd be ok with Scuderi and quite pleased with Orpik, if that's who McIlrath turns into.

I just don't think McIlrath has the mental game to turn into a weber, hell I'm still cautious of him turning into an Orpik.

I just don't want to see a Belak.
I would be ecstatic if McIlirath can become an NHL regular that is sound defensively.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:20 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Re: McIlrath.

Yeah, I think I will go with Gordie Clark and professional scouts who spend all their working hours watching players and talking to them rather than listening to a bunch of people who claim that they know someone who may have watched a few junior games. Especially since it was just explained to me how much better scouting apparently has become and how scouts are now so much better than even five years ago.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:29 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

yeah ok. please explain to me then

hugh jessiman

bobby sanguinetti

lauri korpikoski

all chosen by professional scouting staffs and all first round reaches or worse.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

hugh jessiman

bobby sanguinetti

lauri korpikoski

all chosen by professional scouting staffs and all first round reaches or worse.
All chosen by someone other than Gordie Clark and Jeff Groton

Old
06-10-2011, 11:37 PM
TheRedViper

Have you ever watched McIlrath play? If not, why do you continue to discount other posters opinions (that have watched him play BTW) about what they see in him.
Obviously you don't have to agree with their observations, but if you feel so strongly about McIlrath's development/potential, why don't you contribute something to the pro-McIlrath side other than -
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
Re: McIlrath.

Yeah, I think I will go with Gordie Clark and professional scouts who spend all their working hours watching players and talking to them rather than listening to a bunch of people who claim that they know someone who may have watched a few junior games. Especially since it was just explained to me how much better scouting apparently has become and how scouts are now so much better than even five years ago.

It's at the point where we can't even discuss our prospects because either someone says something negative about a prospect and everyone goes into a frenzy about how we need to be patient, or someone brings up something good about another prospect and the eternally negative posters stroll in to tell us how were overhyping said prospect.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
All chosen by someone other than Gordie Clark and Jeff Groton
thats true. not my point.

pro staffs make mistakes all the time.

lets not pretend that these so called pros always make the right calls and that some on this site couldnt do atleast as bad as those guys did on the above first round draft picks.

thats my point.

mcilrath might be a solid player. its really too early to make that call. its not too early to say he was taken too high.

im beginning to sense that even supporters of the pick are starting to lower the bar a bit on expectations.

Old
06-10-2011, 11:48 PM
Pizza

He sucks. I'm sure that's why they picked him.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:43 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

I explained it several times: most of the players not drafted in the top-5 do not make it, and there are only 0-3 players drafted 12-30 in any given year who become second liners.

It is not unusual for a team to get a bust. It is unusual for it to get a second liner.

By the way, Korpikoski was better than 80% of players drafted in the same or similar draft spot.

The problem is that fans have preposterously ridiculous expectations.

Quote:

hugh jessiman

bobby sanguinetti

lauri korpikoski

Old
06-11-2011, 03:08 AM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
He played 25 or 30 games. That's not nearly enough to show what kind of a player he was going to be.

I think he's a very solid prospect, and I guess I could see him being picked in the top 5 too, but I don't really see the comparison there. He's significantly more physical than Alfie, while not really possessing the same level of skill. Probably a bit lower in the hockey IQ department, though certainly no slouch, too.
Bourdon played parts of two seasons actually. I would think Vancouver had some idea of where they were going with him.

Old
06-11-2011, 04:36 AM
Latex*
DM is good

Quote:
lauri korpikoski
Korpikoski had 20 goals and 20 assists this year with the coyotes in a very defensive role. Hardly a bust.

Old
06-11-2011, 04:57 AM
DM23BK30
HFB Partner

Again, why the **** are people talking about McIlrath's abilities on a non-Ranger prospect thread?

Jesus ****in Christ.

And Mika was a out of reach as far back as the winter. The kid was never going to be available at 15.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:45 AM
free0717

my expected draft page McNeil, Scheifele, Armia, Phillips, Biggs, Namestnikov, Khochlachev, Grimaldi. I exepect at least Phillips will be there @ 15

Old
06-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Jacques Strap

I don't post much but read all the time. Hey moderators - moderate. This is supposed to be a draft and all NON-Rangers prospect discussion and not a Rangers prospect discussion or pissing contest as to who knows more about prospects. I and I'm sure other fans come here to read about potential Rangers draft picks and not the discussions that have been going on lately. I don't want to come off as being authoritarian because I don't post much but please try to stay on topic. Thanks.

Old
06-11-2011, 11:23 AM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
In before the thread is shut...

we should try to trade our #15 for #25 + #29/#30 to Toronto

Gives us 3 1st rounders this year (Erixon would have gone top 12 imo)
Choose Khochlachev at #25 (if still available) and go for another homerunner at #29/#30
Maybe one of Vladislav Namestnikov, Joel Armia, Tomas Jurco, Victor Rask, Matt Puempel, Zack Phillips or even Rocco Grimald. BPA
Easy...
Gives us some topline potential...

Closed Thread