HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Playoff Discussion VII

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2011, 01:05 AM
  #226
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Im assuming you don't deal with numerous ignorant Canuck fans do you... my hate for vancouver is more of the fans then the team itself (except burrows, kesler, and lapierre) if vancouver wins this, its the constant rubbing in the face of their glory that i honestly don't want to deal with...
Well you evidently assume wrong. You maybe shouldn't assume.

For crying out loud I was an active mod here. I kicked more Canuck fans off this board, banned from this board, and gave infractions on this board than you would care to know about. Don't take my word for it, ask any mod that was here.

I was VERY hard on Canucks fans here and largely because of the dynamic where trolls are trolls wherever they come from. I was also well aware(and other mods were too) that the Edmonton board has always had its fair share of trolls that would go on other boads as well and actually attract flies over here.

The last thing a reasonable thinking person should do however is assume that trolls of any kind represent a fanbase, and what that fanbase is like, wherever they be.

Humans are humans. Canadians are some of the best I've met anywhere and wherever they be and from coast to coast.

jmo

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:05 AM
  #227
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
But last time i checked, Boston is in the usa?
I remember one time on these board i said "you americans" i got shouted at because "fu canada is not america".
Perhaps i was missinformed
We're definitely not "americans" but that doesn't make us any better, aside from our total awesomeness at hockey!

I think the guy was talking about the # of Canadians on the B's and their style of hockey, that's all.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:05 AM
  #228
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Heres what makes sense. Sorry I have to explain it in such intricate detail. If a Canadian based team wins the Stanley Cup a Canadian based city gets to cheer for, and enjoy a Stanley Cup and all its trimmings. In this case a long suffering fanbase that has never won one.

I'm an awful evil person I guess for actually liking that they might get that chance.

Meanwhile if Boston, Carolina, Tampabay, etc win this thing a bunch of people I don't care about, have never met, that are not Canadian celebrate winning Canada's trophy.

The worst moment ever for me as a fan of hockey was Carolina winning the SC. Obviously a lot of reasons I felt that way.

Its high time a Canadian team won this thing. Nothing wrong with that.
I'm not saying you're an "awful evil person", but you seem to think everyone else is one for cheering against the Canucks. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's just how it looks to me.

Personally, I don't care where a fan base is located. The American fans of the Bruins deserve a cup just as much as the Canadian Canucks fans.

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:06 AM
  #229
Krigaren*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: London
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 1,018
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam83 View Post
They also have infrastructure in place from the Olympics that provide a great viewing area and large screens for the public to gather and watch, I don't recall anything like that in Edmonton in '06.
True enough. Also im not sure if the weather allows it in edmonton?
Anyway, i think it looks cool that so many people show up and offcorse its alot of bandwagers in there. But so what?
Im sure they are having fun? And isnt that really what its all about?

Am sure there were alot of people that generally do not watch hockey that started to follow the oilers in the finals aswell. But why is there something wrong with that?

Krigaren* is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:08 AM
  #230
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Aaaaah, the Oilers' suckiness and the Canucks' current success is tearing us apart!

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:09 AM
  #231
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
Thats okey thou, if Boston is Canada´s team so be it.
Soon oilers will be the swedish team

Omark, Mps, Larsson, Lander some carefull trades and we are all invading ;D
I'm as excited about Omark here as anyone, the rest of them pale by comparison. I'd love for this to be a skill team again.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:10 AM
  #232
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
True enough. Also im not sure if the weather allows it in edmonton?
Anyway, i think it looks cool that so many people show up and offcorse its alot of bandwagers in there. But so what?
Im sure they are having fun? And isnt that really what its all about?

Am sure there were alot of people that generally do not watch hockey that started to follow the oilers in the finals aswell. But why is there something wrong with that?
At this time of the year? It was +25 degrees outside today.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:10 AM
  #233
guymez
The Seldom Seen Kid
 
guymez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
True enough. Also im not sure if the weather allows it in edmonton?
Anyway, i think it looks cool that so many people show up and offcorse its alot of bandwagers in there. But so what?
Im sure they are having fun? And isnt that really what its all about?

Am sure there were alot of people that generally do not watch hockey that started to follow the oilers in the finals aswell. But why is there something wrong with that?
Good post....except the part about the weather in Edmonton. It was June after all...the weather is usually pretty good that time of year.

I thought it was a spectacular sight to see so many fans in the streets.
The truth is bandwagon fans happen everywhere when a team is on a run. This nonsense about which fans are 'better' is nothing more than a p*ss!ng contest.
It likely has more to do with sour grapes than anything else.

guymez is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:11 AM
  #234
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Aaaaah, the Oilers' suckiness and the Canucks' current success is tearing us apart!
I'm glad the Oil finally took a turn at the bottom so they could move back up to the top. Finishing 8th in the conf lost it's charm about 20 years ago.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:11 AM
  #235
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I'm not saying you're an "awful evil person", but you seem to think everyone else is one for cheering against the Canucks. Correct me if I'm wrong. That's just how it looks to me.

Personally, I don't care where a fan base is located. The American fans of the Bruins deserve a cup just as much as the Canadian Vancouver fans.
If you look at this exchange carefully, I'm outnumbered, outgunned, and people take any number of potshots at me on this exchange. "troll" for instance while I am generally being cordial in reply. which is hard to do for anybody on a messageboard when the gang up starts to happen.


As you know its not easy to take a stand on someting significant here that others feel strongly against. I respect that you do that here. That you have times where that means something to you.

Theres rarely anything wrong with expressing a disparate pov appropriately. I don't think I'm being caustic, if I am, or if others feel that way, I apologize.


Last edited by Replacement: 06-11-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:15 AM
  #236
Oi'll say!
Registered User
 
Oi'll say!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oil in 9
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,012
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
At this time of the year? It was +25 degrees outside today.
Yeah it's not a weather issue, more of a bigscreen tv issue. Noone would stand outside like that and cheer for the team if they had nothing better to look at than the backs of each other's heads.

To be honest I think that crowd is a nightmare waiting to happen tho. This city (Vcr) had the hockey riot and the g20 tear gas incident and I can just see this thing rounding out the trifecta.

Oi'll say! is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:20 AM
  #237
Giant Moo
Registered User
 
Giant Moo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,110
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
You had to be there, now &@$@ off.
Kudos for the witty repartee.

Giant Moo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:22 AM
  #238
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs
 
Moonlapse Vertigo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,070
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oi'll say! View Post
I'm glad the Oil finally took a turn at the bottom so they could move back up to the top. Finishing 8th in the conf lost it's charm about 20 years ago.
Honestly, I miss respectability.

Quote:
Yeah it's not a weather issue, more of a bigscreen tv issue. Noone would stand outside like that and cheer for the team if they had nothing better to look at than the backs of each other's heads.

To be honest I think that crowd is a nightmare waiting to happen tho. This city (Vcr) had the hockey riot and the g20 tear gas incident and I can just see this thing rounding out the trifecta.
If they were going to do something like that in Edmonton I could see it happening in Hawrelak Park.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:22 AM
  #239
BrinkOfGreatness*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,961
vCash: 500
So the Canucks captain does not have a point yet this series

Has a team won a cup with their captain never getting a point?

BrinkOfGreatness* is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:24 AM
  #240
czar99
Registered User
 
czar99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Shultz'z Place
Posts: 3,922
vCash: 50
I don't care to get caught up in the big debate that's going on in here. All I have to say is that I puke in my mouth at the thought of the nucks winning the the cup, and what makes it worst is they might do it with five goals.

czar99 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:25 AM
  #241
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
First off i'm not disagreeing with the disgusting antics of Boston because to be honest we have to put up with that **** 6 times a year from vancouver... Im glad to see Boston get dirty because they were finally doing the stuff we all dreamed about doing to the Canucks (ie Lucic punching burrows' head into the boards)

We as an Oilers fan base strongly have a dislike towards the Canucks yet here you are well aware of that but figure you should bring up their recent success and preach to us that we should be glad that they might win the cup (troll much?)
Overstate much? Which you've done now several times in this brief exchange.

Basically your argument seems to be that you don't care that Boston pulls all kinds of **** as well, raises all kinds of triggers as well, just that we don't face them as much so I should ignore the questions about that which I know Boston engages in and just automatically cheer for Boston because our team doesn't play them as much and I shouldn't know what the Bruins are often up to, except that I do.

Your argument basically reduces to I should always cheer for the eastern Club in the SC final because we don't play them as much and don't hate them as much and that if I don't subscribe to that odd thought then I'm a troll.

This is a stalemate to me interms of which team has angels wings. Obviously I don't think either do. Given that I'm fine if the Canadian based team wins it.

If this was Sidney Crosby involved I'd probably be cheering for him. The best current Canadian player in the game and a consummate gentleman imo.

Replacement is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:25 AM
  #242
SephF
Thanks Smytty
 
SephF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,443
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrinkOfGreatness View Post
Has a team won a cup with their captain never getting a point?
In the final? Scott Stevens maybe?

SephF is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:25 AM
  #243
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Moo View Post
Kudos for the witty repartee.
A little redundant, don't you think?

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:28 AM
  #244
OilerNut*
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,959
vCash: 500
That picture of downtown Vancouver doesn't really prove anything.

People like going downtown to party, this just gives them a reason.

Hell, even I was tempted to go down there just to check it out.

OilerNut* is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:30 AM
  #245
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krigaren View Post
True enough. Also im not sure if the weather allows it in edmonton?
Anyway, i think it looks cool that so many people show up and offcorse its alot of bandwagers in there. But so what?
Im sure they are having fun? And isnt that really what its all about?

Am sure there were alot of people that generally do not watch hockey that started to follow the oilers in the finals aswell. But why is there something wrong with that?
And this is why I think majority of other fanbases can't stand Vancouver fans [yeah, you're an Omark fan...doesn't mean you haven't been trolling the boards with your Swedish Twins/Vancouver love for the past 2 months]. Are you trying to imply something?

When I want to talk to hockey fans and discuss about hockey, I don't need to hear crap like this. If you think Edmonton is Siberia, then GTFO. The problem with Vancouver fans is they tend to resort to jabbing the cities rather than discuss about hockey in general, especially when the discussion references number of cups.

frag2 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:33 AM
  #246
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
I must admit nobody can get a thread responding like Replacement .

Oilmageddon* is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:34 AM
  #247
dnicks17
Moderator
.
 
dnicks17's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,535
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by frag2 View Post
And this is why I think majority of other fanbases can't stand Vancouver fans [yeah, you're an Omark fan...doesn't mean you haven't been trolling the boards with your Swedish Twins/Vancouver love for the past 2 months]. Are you trying to imply something?

When I want to talk to hockey fans and discuss about hockey, I don't need to hear crap like this. If you think Edmonton is Siberia, then GTFO. The problem with Vancouver fans is they tend to resort to jabbing the cities rather than discuss about hockey in general, especially when the discussion references number of cups.
Do you really have your panties in a bunch because a guy who lives on a different continent doesn't know Edmonton's weather/climate?

dnicks17 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:38 AM
  #248
Daneo21
Registered User
 
Daneo21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 687
vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Overstate much? Which you've done now several times in this brief exchange.

Basically your argument seems to be that you don't care that Boston pulls all kinds of **** as well, raises all kinds of triggers as well, just that we don't face them as much so I should ignore the questions about that which I know Boston engages in and just automatically cheer for Boston because our team doesn't play them as much and I shouldn't know what the Bruins are often up to, except that I do.

Your argument basically reduces to I should always cheer for the eastern Club in the SC final because we don't play them as much and don't hate them as much and that if I don't subscribe to that odd thought then I'm a troll.

This is a stalemate to me interms of which team has angels wings. Obviously I don't think either do. Given that I'm fine if the Canadian based team wins it.
Ha you completely miss my point... and now you belittle yourself by making my own opinions for me?

I told you simply that i like the nastiness of Boston's play plain and simple... its like fighting fire with fire, it was a simple statement and by all means i could care less if Boston disgraces themselves with that play and bring themselves down to Vancouver's level, that is what playoff hockey is all about.... alright so moving on

I never said always cheer for the eastern club not once not never... if you actually read one of my previous posts you would see that i say cheer for whatever team you like good on you (ie I like Chicago so is it wrong that I hope the best for them or that i cheered for them to win the cup last year? Also they are a western team )... just dont be a bandwagon hopper, if you like the Canucks and always have then great keep cheering and hoping the best for them.

The issue now comes down to how you are responding to being "ganged up on" when you very well know how the majority of Oilers fans stand on the Canucks... Do you really expect anything different? You would be a fool to expect otherwise

Daneo21 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:38 AM
  #249
frag2
Registered User
 
frag2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,386
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Do you really have your panties in a bunch because a guy who lives on a different continent doesn't know Edmonton's weather/climate?
No but I'm pretty sure he knows its summer right here. I was stating comments like this is why fans can't stand anyone that "supports" Vancouver. Jabs and **** like that about cities...that's not hockey talk IMO.

Slander a player/hockey team all you want, but when you bring city in to it, its a whole new can of worms IMO.

Ever check that Vancouver article about how they say everyone wants to be them and we're all jealous?

frag2 is offline  
Old
06-11-2011, 01:47 AM
  #250
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen
 
Replacement's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hockey Hell
Country: Canada
Posts: 35,873
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneo21 View Post
Ha you completely miss my point... and now you belittle yourself by making my own opinions for me?

I told you simply that i like the nastiness of Boston's play plain and simple... its like fighting fire with fire, it was a simple statement and by all means i could care less if Boston disgraces themselves with that play and bring themselves down to Vancouver's level, that is what playoff hockey is all about.... alright so moving on

I never said always cheer for the eastern club not once not never... if you actually read one of my previous posts you would see that i say cheer for whatever team you like good on you (ie I like Chicago so is it wrong that I hope the best for them or that i cheered for them to win the cup last year? Also they are a western team )... just dont be a bandwagon hopper, if you like the Canucks and always have then great keep cheering and hoping the best for them.

The issue now comes down to how you are responding to being "ganged up on" when you very well know how the majority of Oilers fans stand on the Canucks... Do you really expect anything different? You would be a fool to expect otherwise
Its fine to disagree. Do so with some basic decorum and with interaction that allows any and all reasonable opinions to take place. Not one that presumes the other has no merit or grounding whatsoever. You can look back on this whole exchange tomorrow and ask yourself if you were really the only one being reasonable.

You're moving the goalposts in anycase. You're strongest statements to me are that "I must not know anything about nucks fans(which as I demonstated is inaccurate) to calling me a troll(which is inaccurate.)


Have I called you names or treated you with disrespect in this exchange?

Now onto yet another statement from you that I'm doing it wrong, that I'm bandwagon(whatever that means) and that theres a subscribed definition and right way to do this being a hockey fan thing and that your here to tell me all that. With the focal point in your missive being that I have no basis, thats its not OK to cheer for a Canadian club just because, and that theres an accepted methodology to these things.

When all I'm trying to indicate is that its perfectly acceptable here for a fan to cheer for whichever team they like. That neither choice is wrong, which I've stated repeatedly in this and other threads.

Carry on.

I'm done here.


Last edited by Replacement: 06-11-2011 at 02:02 AM.
Replacement is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:12 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.