HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Jarred Tinordi invited to the US WJC summer camp

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-11-2011, 09:15 AM
  #51
Subban76
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,332
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Watching his fight card in the OHL this year. He takes a lot of punches. Defending himself and learning how to fight is a skill that I hope he improves on more than anything. I don't want him to be able to fight like Hal Gill.
Tinordi said himself that those fights were is firsts ever and he needed to get some under the belt because he knows it will be part of his game to reach the NHL.

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:12 AM
  #52
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 28,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
Watching his fight card in the OHL this year. He takes a lot of punches. Defending himself and learning how to fight is a skill that I hope he improves on more than anything. I don't want him to be able to fight like Hal Gill.
Once he fills out to 245-250lbs I doubt too many will mess with him as power will be added to reach.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:27 AM
  #53
loudi94
Master of my Domain
 
loudi94's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Lethbridge, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,039
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Once he fills out to 245-250lbs I doubt too many will mess with him as power will be added to reach.
I don't doubt it. Most of the guys he fought were heavyweights themselves. I'm not looking for him to be a goon, just someone that can play and mess you up if you even look at Price wrong.

loudi94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:46 PM
  #54
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Is this year's WJC's in North America or Europe?

I know it may be an odd question...

I thnk Tinordi should be a shoe in for a NA tourney role... I'd get to questions if it was in europe. Before anyone says it I do know he's good on his feet (fast for his huge size)... But in short tourneys, on a bigger ice sheet, I'd be more apt to put offence on the back end for passing ability. In NHL regulated rinks... I'd use size to ensure that the front of the net is cleared...

Either way, IMO he's got a great chance. Dale Hunter was using him 1/2 a game for his defensive coverages....

Seriously I cannot wait for his game to develop

If anyone remembers Mark Tinordi... He was such an intimidating force out on the blue line... Seriously just an absolute terror.

Freakishly huge, played with not only an edge, but a chasm of additude.

Mark said his son is the same, only faster...

All I could say, is to people thinking Oleksiak, and Chara...

Tinordi is going to be MORE nasty than Chara, MORE intimidating... MORE mean... IMO less of an offensive game though... This could be wrong even, because even as we speak about Tinordi now, this is what Dale WANTS to develop in Jarred.

He is bar none a very exciting prospect...
One I am definately not concerned about playing in WJC's or not... He will represent USA someday in the future.
Wish I felt the same. I find Leblanc and Tinordi to be quite meh tbh. I don't think we should have ever drafted him, but we'll see. Hope he proves me wrong.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
  #55
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Wish I felt the same. I find Leblanc and Tinordi to be quite meh tbh. I don't think we should have ever drafted him, but we'll see. Hope he proves me wrong.
Tinordi is the type of player that takes a lot of time to develop. The taller they are, the longer it takes in average.

I think he might end-up being very good. I remember a young Chara who struggled a lot and looked terrible in his first few seasons. He ended-up out of position more often than not, but could compensate with his reach. It took him at least 4-5 seasons (26-27 years old) before becoming better both offensively and defensively.

Now, that might be coincidental and rather related to a slower learning curb from Chara, but that would still include a longer physical adaptation, because that's generally the rule, and having seen it, IMO it was both in Chara's case. I might be wrong, but I've seen Tinordi in interviews and he seems a notch brighter so I'm not too worried about him learning.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:27 PM
  #56
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Tinordi is the type of player that takes a lot of time to develop. The taller they are, the longer it takes in average.

I think he might end-up being very good. I remember a young Chara who struggled a lot and looked terrible in his first few seasons. He ended-up out of position more often than not, but could compensate with his reach. It took him at least 4-5 seasons (26-27 years old) before becoming better both offensively and defensively.

Now, that might be coincidental and rather related to a slower learning curb from Chara, but that would still include a longer physical adaptation, because that's generally the rule, and having seen it, IMO it was both in Chara's case. I might be wrong, but I've seen Tinordi in interviews and he seems a notch brighter so I'm not too worried about him learning.
Sure anything could happen, but he doesn't have the puck skills imo to ever amount to much. Skill can't be taught, but he may turn into a Komisarek or O'byrne type.

I'm not one to say a prospect is a bust at his tender age, so I'll give him time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles to become a full time NHLer. I've been wrong plenty of times before and would love for me to be wrong with him. I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time and his first season in London did nothing to change my mind. In fact, it did the opposite.

He has plenty of time to develop though and anything is possible. The only thing he has in common with Chara is height.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:03 PM
  #57
TheBuriedHab
Registered User
 
TheBuriedHab's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,173
vCash: 500
I don't really care for Tinordi's puck skills. If he can make a Simple pass out of the zone that will be enough for me. I think a Big 6'7 crease clearing dman that makes the lives of the other teams forwards tough is what this team is going to and does need right now. If he can develop into that I think we got a great pick. It remains to be seen if he can be that guy.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 05:52 AM
  #58
onemorecup*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 2,062
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Is this year's WJC's in North America or Europe?

I know it may be an odd question...

I thnk Tinordi should be a shoe in for a NA tourney role... I'd get to questions if it was in europe. Before anyone says it I do know he's good on his feet (fast for his huge size)... But in short tourneys, on a bigger ice sheet, I'd be more apt to put offence on the back end for passing ability. In NHL regulated rinks... I'd use size to ensure that the front of the net is cleared...

Either way, IMO he's got a great chance. Dale Hunter was using him 1/2 a game for his defensive coverages....

Seriously I cannot wait for his game to develop

If anyone remembers Mark Tinordi... He was such an intimidating force out on the blue line... Seriously just an absolute terror.

Freakishly huge, played with not only an edge, but a chasm of additude.

Mark said his son is the same, only faster...

All I could say, is to people thinking Oleksiak, and Chara...

Tinordi is going to be MORE nasty than Chara, MORE intimidating... MORE mean... IMO less of an offensive game though... This could be wrong even, because even as we speak about Tinordi now, this is what Dale WANTS to develop in Jarred.

He is bar none a very exciting prospect... One I am definately not concerned about playing in WJC's or not... He will represent USA someday in the future.
agreed I have seen him play several times

the dude is monster on skates and played a shutdown role in his first year

all we hear is this dude being criticized

folks this kid is the real deal ..he will be a hab in 2 years

you can teach what he can do and his wheels are smooth for a guy his size

onemorecup* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:22 AM
  #59
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 5,846
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Tinordi is the type of player that takes a lot of time to develop. The taller they are, the longer it takes in average.

I think he might end-up being very good. I remember a young Chara who struggled a lot and looked terrible in his first few seasons. He ended-up out of position more often than not, but could compensate with his reach. It took him at least 4-5 seasons (26-27 years old) before becoming better both offensively and defensively.

Now, that might be coincidental and rather related to a slower learning curb from Chara, but that would still include a longer physical adaptation, because that's generally the rule, and having seen it, IMO it was both in Chara's case. I might be wrong, but I've seen Tinordi in interviews and he seems a notch brighter so I'm not too worried about him learning.
Yes and so Chara really benefited the Bruins, not the Islanders.

DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:19 AM
  #60
montreal
Time to Get Down
 
montreal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Country: Hungary
Posts: 23,272
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by pam19 View Post
BTW, who are the coaches?
Dean Blais is the head coach, he coached Team USA's U-20 team in 2010 to a gold medal. He's the head coach of University of Nebraska-Omaha, they are coming off a very good season in the WCHA after moving over from the CCHA.

Scott Sandelin is one of the assistant coaches. If that names rings a bell, he is the head coach at UMD, Scott Kishel's team. They just won their first ever National Championship and he's a former Hab, drafted in '82 40th overall but only got in a couple games with the Habs.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:40 AM
  #61
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Sure anything could happen, but he doesn't have the puck skills imo to ever amount to much. Skill can't be taught, but he may turn into a Komisarek or O'byrne type.

I'm not one to say a prospect is a bust at his tender age, so I'll give him time, but I wouldn't be surprised if he struggles to become a full time NHLer. I've been wrong plenty of times before and would love for me to be wrong with him. I wasn't a fan of the pick at the time and his first season in London did nothing to change my mind. In fact, it did the opposite.

He has plenty of time to develop though and anything is possible. The only thing he has in common with Chara is height.
That's a myth.

Practice makes perfect and that's the secret of professional athletes. You should read up on genetic adapation. The common myth of genes being the determining factor is false. Genes adapt to environment. Environment is the major factor, not the genes. That's why most of the best puck-handlers have been practicing their stick play since they were toddlers, daily. The ones you see with less stick skill, are the ones who didn't practice that aspect as much. A player might have all the proper genes but doesn't activate them, he will not become good, and inversely, a player that doesn't have the genes but practices a whole lot, that person's genes will self-organize and mutate to adapt to the skill. Think about it for a second, all the greatest players spent untold hours practicing their skill, it just doesn't come like that. Anybody who takes a stick for the first time will look terrible handling a puck. Give them 2000 hours of practice and they'll deke loops around noobies. Do you know why this misconception gets dangled everywhere even in the media and education? Because the people who rule the world today feel the need to justify their greed and power, it's their genetic "destiny", darwinian destiny, instead of being kings annointed by God, they switched that to "financial kings" annointed by genes, by their genetic ancestry, their genetic "superiority". It's the same gimic as it was 2000 years ago, just more sophisticated.

Anyway, there are a lot of scientific studies that show that genes are self-organizing and activate and deactivate depending on their reactions of the body to the environment. Genetic-related cancer research have shown this conclusively. Many other research have shown this, including people who have Dissosiative Identity Disorder (previously named MPD), and it is probably why this mental disorder is so wildly debated, because multiple personalities share the same genes, yet can have tremendous skills that another personality won't have. One will be righthanded while another will be left-handed. DID also shows that genes adapt and change a lot more at a younger age, and that's probably why sports prodigies all started very young to practice a lot. Same reason why it took so much time for Souray to send his shots closer to the net. Practice.

Someone who will practice a lot will become a lot better, including Chara who couldn't deke **** when he came into the league, and often lost the puck while controlling it. Same for Gill, he drops the puck a lot less than 10 years ago.

You say the only thing he has in common with Chara is height, because you are comparing the present Chara to him, yet seem to wholly forget how the Chara of 13 years ago was like. He was much like Tinordi was. Their were huge question marks about him. He had the size and reach, and force, but he was constantly out of position, dropping the puck, pokechecking skates instead of the puck. He had a really hard time to control his huge physic. That only came with practice. I'm sorry to say, but most of your opinion relating this comes from many misconception, starting by how our bodies adapt vs genetic "destiny".


Last edited by Ozymandias: 06-13-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:52 AM
  #62
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
Yes and so Chara really benefited the Bruins, not the Islanders.
The Senators say hello.

Jacques Martin did wonders to Chara. If Tinordi goes through Martin, I'm not worried one bit, unless he has confidence issues like OB did.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:49 AM
  #63
habsjunkie2*
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 4,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
That's a myth.

Practice makes perfect and that's the secret of professional athletes. You should read up on genetic adapation. The common myth of genes being the determining factor is false. Genes adapt to environment. Environment is the major factor, not the genes. That's why most of the best puck-handlers have been practicing their stick play since they were toddlers, daily. The ones you see with less stick skill, are the ones who didn't practice that aspect as much. A player might have all the proper genes but doesn't activate them, he will not become good, and inversely, a player that doesn't have the genes but practices a whole lot, that person's genes will self-organize and mutate to adapt to the skill. Think about it for a second, all the greatest players spent untold hours practicing their skill, it just doesn't come like that. Anybody who takes a stick for the first time will look terrible handling a puck. Give them 2000 hours of practice and they'll deke loops around noobies. Do you know why this misconception gets dangled everywhere even in the media and education? Because the people who rule the world today feel the need to justify their greed and power, it's their genetic "destiny", darwinian destiny, instead of being kings annointed by God, they switched that to "financial kings" annointed by genes, by their genetic ancestry, their genetic "superiority". It's the same gimic as it was 2000 years ago, just more sophisticated.

Anyway, there are a lot of scientific studies that show that genes are self-organizing and activate and deactivate depending on their reactions of the body to the environment. Genetic-related cancer research have shown this conclusively. Many other research have shown this, including people who have Dissosiative Identity Disorder (previously named MPD), and it is probably why this mental disorder is so wildly debated, because multiple personalities share the same genes, yet can have tremendous skills that another personality won't have. One will be righthanded while another will be left-handed. DID also shows that genes adapt and change a lot more at a younger age, and that's probably why sports prodigies all started very young to practice a lot. Same reason why it took so much time for Souray to send his shots closer to the net. Practice.

Someone who will practice a lot will become a lot better, including Chara who couldn't deke **** when he came into the league, and often lost the puck while controlling it. Same for Gill, he drops the puck a lot less than 10 years ago.

You say the only thing he has in common with Chara is height, because you are comparing the present Chara to him, yet seem to wholly forget how the Chara of 13 years ago was like. He was much like Tinordi was. Their were huge question marks about him. He had the size and reach, and force, but he was constantly out of position, dropping the puck, pokechecking skates instead of the puck. He had a really hard time to control his huge physic. That only came with practice. I'm sorry to say, but most of your opinion relating this comes from many misconception, starting by how our bodies adapt vs genetic "destiny".
I agree with the premise of your post, but this needs to be put into proper context. Sure practice may make perfect, but you would see signs of that already. You don't develop all the sudden in your early 20's. Chara had some offensive upside, Tinordi has none.

Tinordi has already starting gooning it up because he knows that's what he'll need to do to have an impact. His game isn't anywhere close at this point, but that could change like you said.

I maintain my position that the only thing Tinordi shares with Chara at this point in their development is their height.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.