HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Ottawa - Colorado

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-10-2011, 09:02 PM
  #1
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Ottawa - Colorado



2nd Overall



6th Overall
Patrick Weircioch
35th Overall

-=-=-

Why Ottawa does it:
-Gives them the chance to pick the forward they want - assuming Edmonton picks RNH, they can either take Huberdeau, Landeskog or S.C... whoever they have ranked as the best forward. If Edmonton picks Adam Larsson, allows them to take RNH to play behind Spezza one day.

Why Colorado does it:
-The majority of the top forwards are Centers (RNH, Huberdeau, S.C., Strome) with only Landeskog (winger) as a non C in that group. Colorado does not need another center with Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly (plus Hishon in the system). Someone like Dougie Hamilton at 6 might be a better fit for Colorado as well, based on team needs. Patrick Weircioch helps improve the defense pool (and yes, I'm aware Barrie, Gaunce and S. Elliot are in the system - but Weircioch will be a year, maybe two away - and unlike those players, Weircioch has a 6'4 frame and will likely make an impact sooner). The 2nd round pick gives Colorado another useful asset - particularly since after 11, Colorado does not pick again until 93. While they could avoid this trade and draft A. Larsson, this deal is in some ways premised on the assumption that's not the way they want to go.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:08 PM
  #2
Freaky Styley
Registered User
 
Freaky Styley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,867
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post


2nd Overall



6th Overall
Patrick Weircioch
35th Overall

-=-=-

Why Ottawa does it:
-Gives them the chance to pick the forward they want - assuming Edmonton picks RNH, they can either take Huberdeau, Landeskog or S.C... whoever they have ranked as the best forward. If Edmonton picks Adam Larsson, allows them to take RNH to play behind Spezza one day.

Why Colorado does it:
-The majority of the top forwards are Centers (RNH, Huberdeau, S.C., Strome) with only Landeskog (winger) as a non C in that group. Colorado does not need another center with Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly (plus Hishon in the system). Someone like Dougie Hamilton at 6 might be a better fit for Colorado as well, based on team needs. Patrick Weircioch helps improve the defense pool (and yes, I'm aware Barrie, Gaunce and S. Elliot are in the system - but Weircioch will be a year, maybe two away - and unlike those players, Weircioch has a 6'4 frame and will likely make an impact sooner). The 2nd round pick gives Colorado another useful asset - particularly since after 11, Colorado does not pick again until 93.
I might do it as an Avs fan.. but the inclusion of Weircioch lessens the chance of the Avs drafting Hamilton. With that being said, there could be a good chance that Coutorier, Strome or MAYBE even Huberdeau is still there. So it's intruiging.

Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:23 PM
  #3
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 30,877
vCash: 50
I think Avs really want Landeskog. So do I. He'll be there at #2 and not at #6.

For Avs to trade #2, in the words of Sherman, it would take "something beyond significant". This isn't beyond significant. Cowen + 6th overall is. Not something Sens are likely to do, of course. But I'm fine with that. I'm perfectly happy staying at #2.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:27 PM
  #4
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
I think Avs really want Landeskog. So do I. He'll be there at #2 and not at #6.

For Avs to trade #2, in the words of Sherman, it would take "something beyond significant". This isn't beyond significant. Cowen + 6th overall is. Not something Sens are likely to do, of course. But I'm fine with that. I'm perfectly happy staying at #2.
I really hope neither Colorado or Ottawa ends up with Landeskog - I'm not a fan.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:29 PM
  #5
Avs_19
Peter the Great
 
Avs_19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,051
vCash: 500
No thanks. Landeskog, Larsson, and Huberdeau will be gone before the #6 pick.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:44 PM
  #6
OmniSens
@OmniSenators
 
OmniSens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 38,540
vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to OmniSens
Done deal from Ottawa

OmniSens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 09:46 PM
  #7
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 30,877
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
I really hope neither Colorado or Ottawa ends up with Landeskog - I'm not a fan.
If you don't want Landeskog on Ottawa then you're better off trying to switch places with Florida. They have a history of trading down.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:11 PM
  #8
CB Joe
Registered User
 
CB Joe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If you don't want Landeskog on Ottawa then you're better off trying to switch places with Florida. They have a history of trading down.
New GM there now.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:11 PM
  #9
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If you don't want Landeskog on Ottawa then you're better off trying to switch places with Florida. They have a history of trading down.
I don't get the feeling Tallon will this time.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:20 PM
  #10
Benny FTW
TurnSoonestToTheSea
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Kingston
Country: Canada
Posts: 22,168
vCash: 500
I would only do it if RNH is still available.

Benny FTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:23 PM
  #11
Freudian
No Guenin, No cry
 
Freudian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Sweden
Posts: 30,877
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post
I don't get the feeling Tallon will this time.
I don't think any of the top four picks will be traded. All those four teams have pressure to really make it count.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 10:45 PM
  #12
senators4life
TurrisRyanKarlsson
 
senators4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: North Bay, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 147
vCash: 500
I'd rather keep our assets and pick the best forward available at #6 unless we can move up to the NJ or NYI spot for a second rounder or something.

senators4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 11:17 PM
  #13
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Deal is pointless and ultimately an overpayment by Ottawa considering they could likely get Landeskog trading with either Florida or most likely NJ dealing that 2nd. Giving up on Weirchoch already is a big risk and an overpayment.

What I am saying is, I don't believe Colorado has the balz to pass on Adam Larsson if available. They would be idiotic to do so. If Ottawa gets the 2nd, who is to say they might not just overkill with defenceman Adam Larsson??

But since they have no need, I doubt they add a 2nd and something just to end up with Larsson, when they can get Couturier/Strome with 6th and another really good player with 35th.

Florida needs the dynamic and all around game of Huberdeau more than the power and character of Landeskog.


Last edited by 4thliner*: 06-10-2011 at 11:25 PM.
4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:29 AM
  #14
Shanny
Coming In Hot
 
Shanny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bytown
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,042
vCash: 500
Florida will draft Huberdeau, seems like the perfect ''Toews'' type of player that Tallon will want to build around.

Shanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:40 AM
  #15
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Drafts since 2000

2000 2nd Heatley---- 6th Hartnell
2001 2nd Spezza -----6th Koivu
2002 2nd Lehtonen----6th Upshall
2003 2nd E. Staal-----6th Michalek
2004 2nd Malkin-------6th Montoya
2005 2nd Ryan---------6th Brule
2006 2nd J. Staal------6th Brassard
2007 2nd JVR ----------6th Gagner
2008 2nd Doughty-----6th Filatov
2009 2nd Hedman-----6th Larsson
2010 2nd Seguin-------6th Connoly

There seems to be a huge drop off from 2-6 of talent in the draft. To risky for Avalance better off picking at number 2.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:41 AM
  #16
TwoPadStack
Gross Misconduct
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,353
vCash: 900
Not enough.

TwoPadStack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 01:48 AM
  #17
BoxOfChocolates
Registered User
 
BoxOfChocolates's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Stankonia
Posts: 7,979
vCash: 500
No thanks

BoxOfChocolates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:25 AM
  #18
Robin Lehner*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyke View Post


2nd Overall



6th Overall
Patrick Weircioch
35th Overall

-=-=-

Why Ottawa does it:
-Gives them the chance to pick the forward they want - assuming Edmonton picks RNH, they can either take Huberdeau, Landeskog or S.C... whoever they have ranked as the best forward. If Edmonton picks Adam Larsson, allows them to take RNH to play behind Spezza one day.

Why Colorado does it:
-The majority of the top forwards are Centers (RNH, Huberdeau, S.C., Strome) with only Landeskog (winger) as a non C in that group. Colorado does not need another center with Stastny, Duchene, and O'Reilly (plus Hishon in the system). Someone like Dougie Hamilton at 6 might be a better fit for Colorado as well, based on team needs. Patrick Weircioch helps improve the defense pool (and yes, I'm aware Barrie, Gaunce and S. Elliot are in the system - but Weircioch will be a year, maybe two away - and unlike those players, Weircioch has a 6'4 frame and will likely make an impact sooner). The 2nd round pick gives Colorado another useful asset - particularly since after 11, Colorado does not pick again until 93. While they could avoid this trade and draft A. Larsson, this deal is in some ways premised on the assumption that's not the way they want to go.
switch the 35th pick with the 48th pick and im happy

Robin Lehner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:23 AM
  #19
Marvelous Manked
Ooh to be a Gooner
 
Marvelous Manked's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Sudbury/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,384
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenextalfie View Post
switch the 35th pick with the 48th pick and im happy
We're not going to move up to 2 by subtracting to the original deal. If you want it, you have to pay for it.

Marvelous Manked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
  #20
4thliner*
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 6,135
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Drafts since 2000

2000 2nd Heatley---- 6th Hartnell
2001 2nd Spezza -----6th Koivu
2002 2nd Lehtonen----6th Upshall
2003 2nd E. Staal-----6th Michalek
2004 2nd Malkin-------6th Montoya
2005 2nd Ryan---------6th Brule
2006 2nd J. Staal------6th Brassard
2007 2nd JVR ----------6th Gagner
2008 2nd Doughty-----6th Filatov
2009 2nd Hedman-----6th Larsson
2010 2nd Seguin-------6th Connoly

There seems to be a huge drop off from 2-6 of talent in the draft. To risky for Avalance better off picking at number 2.
1991 2nd Pat Falloon-----6th Peter Forsberg


4thliner* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:14 PM
  #21
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Home of 5 Stanley's
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,142
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thliner View Post
1991 2nd Pat Falloon-----6th Peter Forsberg

Drafting was no where near it was 20 years ago as now. with all the Internet combine satallite. there are far less mistakes made so if you look at the list from the last decade they were getting it right.

Oilmageddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:31 PM
  #22
Pyke*
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Toronto / Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,616
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Drafting was no where near it was 20 years ago as now. with all the Internet combine satallite. there are far less mistakes made so if you look at the list from the last decade they were getting it right.
A lot of the players picked 2nd were not as good as players picked later on.

I got lazy half way through doing this, but your argument that "scouting has far less mistakes" is somewhat flawed.

2000 2nd Heatley---- 6th Hartnell [20th: Frolov, 24th: Boyes, 28th: J. Williams, 118: Visnovsky]
2001 2nd Spezza -----6th M. Koivu [12th: Hemsky, 32nd: D. Roy, 49th: Cammalleri, 55th: Pominville]
2002 2nd Lehtonen----6th Upshall [8th: Bouchard, 13th: Semin]
2003 2nd E. Staal-----6th Michalek [11th: Carter, 13th: Brown, 17th: Parise, 19th: Getzlaf, 23rd: Kesler, 245th: Richards, 28th: Perry, 33rd: Eriksson, 45th: Bergeron, 49th: S. Weber, 62nd: Backes]
2004 2nd Malkin-------6th Montoya [29th: Green, 63rd: Krejci]

There's no doubt that 2nd in many draft years is more of a sure thing than 6th - but given this draft is expected to have 7-8 players of similar quality, followed by 30 of similar quality - predicting who the busts and who the homeruns are is much more challenging than you think.

Pyke* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:33 PM
  #23
TSA0402
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,230
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newoilburnsclean View Post
Drafts since 2000

2000 2nd Heatley---- 6th Hartnell
2001 2nd Spezza -----6th Koivu
2002 2nd Lehtonen----6th Upshall
2003 2nd E. Staal-----6th Michalek
2004 2nd Malkin-------6th Montoya
2005 2nd Ryan---------6th Brule
2006 2nd J. Staal------6th Brassard
2007 2nd JVR ----------6th Gagner
2008 2nd Doughty-----6th Filatov
2009 2nd Hedman-----6th Larsson
2010 2nd Seguin-------6th Connoly

There seems to be a huge drop off from 2-6 of talent in the draft. To risky for Avalance better off picking at number 2.
True but the idea is that there are also players past six that will be better than those drafted on sheet.

Statistically it looks as if there is a 75% chance Sens will very likely get a top 6 forward, top 4 d-man but not elite talent. however this doesn't include scouting/drafting abilities which Sens seem to have done quite well the past few years. I'm not including the past three years because its way too early to call any of them busts.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.