HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

St. Louis Signs Massive Contract with Bolts

Closed Thread

Old
08-24-2005, 06:30 PM
Kovy274Hart

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Kovy274Hart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balej20
How many years are left on Richards contract?

Tampa Bay was smart. They got him signed longterm. He's still got two or three years left. They also have Modin signed longterm and maybe Fedotenko.And didn't they re-sign Boyle for two or three years?

Old
08-24-2005, 06:48 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Did Slats give a UFA signing seminar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Yep, sounds like a Ranger signing!
I can't believe the number of teams making really stupid cap decisions that will impact them years from now. The number of GM's that have over paid for older UFA in terms of money & years on the contracts is amazing. There are some teams that are not taking a long range view. Kind of like a 3, 5 and 10 year business plan effect. Take a look at our contracts long range, they decline and each year we gain substantial cap dollars every year. Like in rebuilding, you have to have patience. Soemwhere along the line a really big fish is going to come on the market and we will be in prime shape to offer the best deal (think outside the box, NY marketing opportunties, plus contract, etc).

Old
08-24-2005, 07:28 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SingnBluesOnBroadway
Enough. If I have to start closing threads because of petty bickering about machuirty of cluelessness, warning will be handed out. And I don't want to have to do that. Everyone make your point without the nastiness. Respect each other's opinions. Even if you disagree with that opinion.
Shut you clueless moronic babbling nerd.

Old
08-24-2005, 07:29 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

The salary wouldnt worry me, so much as the years.

I dont know if i could honestly say i'd sign him to a six year deal. Call it a gut feeling, but i think TB might regret that one.

Old
08-24-2005, 07:31 PM
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge
Shut you clueless moronic babbling nerd.
That's going in your file.

Old
08-24-2005, 07:33 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Pffffff, which chapter?

Old
08-24-2005, 07:49 PM
DarthSather99

It's these type of contracts that choke a team of future moves and makes them tradable. The NHL will be come the NBA where teams will trade talent for nothing, just to get rid of huge contracts.

Old
08-24-2005, 08:07 PM
ATLANTARANGER*

Do you think that will be because

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthSather99
It's these type of contracts that choke a team of future moves and makes them tradable. The NHL will be come the NBA where teams will trade talent for nothing, just to get rid of huge contracts.
Bettman still thinks he's in the NBA?

Old
08-24-2005, 08:12 PM
chosen

A few weeks ago many here were crowing about all of the great free agents that would be easy to pick off in the next few years and lambasting people like Clarke for getting players like Forsberg. These free agents would then be added to our "excellent" young core.

Well, it looks like Sather has blown it even bigger than usual with his miscalculation. However, I don't think he miscalculated, because that would infer that he had an intelligent thought floating around in the rock that sits on his shoulders.

Now we are left with a bunch of kids and a few elderly gentlemen. Unless 5 or 6 of these kids turn out to be top notch talent it will be at least five more years before the Rangers become a Stanley Cup contender. This assumes of course that Sather is no longer here and that a human being who knows how many hands he has is in charge.

Old
08-24-2005, 08:32 PM
303Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLANTARANGER
I can't believe the number of teams making really stupid cap decisions that will impact them years from now. The number of GM's that have over paid for older UFA in terms of money & years on the contracts is amazing. There are some teams that are not taking a long range view. Kind of like a 3, 5 and 10 year business plan effect. Take a look at our contracts long range, they decline and each year we gain substantial cap dollars every year. Like in rebuilding, you have to have patience. Soemwhere along the line a really big fish is going to come on the market and we will be in prime shape to offer the best deal (think outside the box, NY marketing opportunties, plus contract, etc).
How many years are you going to wait for this big fish and what makes you think a Big Fish would come here. You offered the same money for Scathard and Aucoin and both chose other clubs? Once the lockout ended we heard how the Rangers were going to gear up and get themselves in shape to get a big named UFA next year either Thorton, Iginla, Lacavalier and they're all signed to long term deals. Maybe Tampa paid at bit much for St. Louis but they did what they thought was right. I'm not sure why you're thinking that GM's are overpaying for older UFAS. The GMs have a idea on what their payrolls will be for next several years and though adding one of these older UFAS at 30 or 31 will pay off for the clubs in either getting them to the next level or possibly attracting some RFAS or UFAS in the coming years. Teams are locking up their star players for 4-6 years nothing wrong with that. You might get an UFA going to Tampa in the next few season knowing he'll be playing w/ Lacavalier and St. Louis.

Old
08-24-2005, 09:06 PM
maddog24g

It's just rationalizing really. What might end up happening is medium sized fish are going to hit the market and teams will reward them like big fish, thus continuing the endless cycle.

Old
08-24-2005, 10:43 PM
Shadowrunner

Send a message via ICQ to Shadowrunner Send a message via AIM to Shadowrunner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chosen
A few weeks ago many here were crowing about all of the great free agents that would be easy to pick off in the next few years and lambasting people like Clarke for getting players like Forsberg. These free agents would then be added to our "excellent" young core.

Well, it looks like Sather has blown it even bigger than usual with his miscalculation. However, I don't think he miscalculated, because that would infer that he had an intelligent thought floating around in the rock that sits on his shoulders.

Now we are left with a bunch of kids and a few elderly gentlemen. Unless 5 or 6 of these kids turn out to be top notch talent it will be at least five more years before the Rangers become a Stanley Cup contender. This assumes of course that Sather is no longer here and that a human being who knows how many hands he has is in charge.

You do realize that the league's talent doesn't end with the signings of Thornton, Iginla and Lecavalier, right? There are nearly two dozen franchise players out there around which a contending team could be built.

My problem is this: Why on earth are we back to ******ing and moaning about us passing on UFA's and RFA's, even such studs like Big Joe or Iginla. Isn't the whole point of this rebuild to GROW a superstar, a franchise player of our own, instead of focusing this entire movement on signing someone else's star? That star may be 3 or 5 years younger than our Fleurys or Kamenskys, but he would still be a mercenary. Homegrown prospects will always give more to the team than any UFA, regardless of how good.

Think #2.

Old
08-24-2005, 11:12 PM
Edge
Kris King's Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by maddog24g
It's just rationalizing really. What might end up happening is medium sized fish are going to hit the market and teams will reward them like big fish, thus continuing the endless cycle.
The difference is that actually does have an impact when a team cant do much else.

I think what we are seeing right now is an orgy of excitement because the landscape has changed. Once teams start realizing how locked they are, the contracts will slowly start coming down

Old
08-25-2005, 07:05 AM
bubba5

Just look at the Mets with Wright and Reyes.

Old
08-25-2005, 07:33 AM
bathgate

My favorite analogy is the N.E Patriots. After THE INTRODUCTION OF THE CAP, N.E. DID NOT INITIAAY SIGN UFA'S The team was harshly criticized. However, after a number of years, how has the team fared? Yes, I know that N.E. HAS A GREAT COACH. However, I am willing to give smug Sather,Maloney, and Renney some time.

Closed Thread