HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Raffi Torres. Wheres the love? ;)

Closed Thread

Old
06-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

vCash: 500
Raffi Torres. Wheres the love? ;)

Predictably getting it done once again on the biggest NHL stage, the SC final.

Playing with Scrubs like Lapierre and Hanson and with around 11mins/night, no PP time, Raffi involved in getting that line moving and with 3 EVpts in 5 GP and in on half of the Vancouver Nucks offense in the series and key in at least 2 of the wins.

For those that don't remember Raffi was perhaps oddly one of our better forwards in 05-06 SC final putting up 4EVpts in 7 GP.

Now cumulatively he has 7 EV pts in 12 SC final GP when it matters most. Scored the huge first game winner in a 1-0 game. A player that can elevate. One of the very few forwards on the Canucks team that knows what to do to create dangerous offense against Tim Thomas.

Hitting incessantly, creating good down low pressure, making simple north south plays, and working cross ice passes better than he has a right to and that nobody else on the Canucks is properly executing.

Yeah, Raffi Torres has played well. This series is arguably over without his contribution and the 3rd lines contribution. Oddly enough Vancouvers best line in the SC final.

go figure

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...d-rr-headlines

Quote:
"A lot of teams have third lines that play well and string a few good shifts together," Henrik Sedin said. "But we have one that scores big goals and that's why we're here and other teams are golfing."
Yeah Henrik, you w a n k e r , but shut up and earn yer pay..

Last edited by Replacement: 06-11-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old
06-11-2011, 01:54 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

It left when he nearly concussed Ebs. He's a good player but near the end of his time here, he was useless and for every big goal he scores, is 2 or 3 borderline suspension plays. Too dirty to like.

And yes the hit on Michalek in 2006 changed the series but it is dirty albeit not at the time.

Old
06-11-2011, 01:58 PM
RStar*

Torres-Peca-Pissani is the best third line I've seen. Raffi has consistantly taken big players out of the game with his hits in the playoffs, and brings big goals from the third line.

I'm not surprised hes playing as well as he is. I hate Vancouver, but Raffi has been my favorite hockey player for quite some time.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaray_656 View Post
It left when he nearly concussed Ebs. He's a good player but near the end of his time here, he was useless and for every big goal he scores, is 2 or 3 borderline suspension plays. Too dirty to like.

And yes the hit on Michalek in 2006 changed the series but it is dirty albeit not at the time.
Well, the guys thrown 50 solid hits in the playoffs in only around 11mins/night and with vast majority being clean effective hits that really rattle the opposition.

Last night Torres just drills Krejci into the boards on a clean hit and theres nothing the Bruins even try to do about it as they all know it was solid. Raffi takes two paces to deliver that thunderous check. Just to let Krejci know he's there. Raffi threw down half a dozen hits like that at least last night.

Nobody in this series is hitting like him. Starts to have its effect. Strange that Bruins aren't even going after him much anymore. This Bruins team is a whole lot tamer on the road.
Lucic, where the hell are you? SC final going on. A good one. Might want to check it out..

Last edited by Replacement: 06-11-2011 at 02:13 PM.
Old
06-11-2011, 02:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by RStar View Post
Torres-Peca-Pissani is the best third line I've seen. Raffi has consistantly taken big players out of the game with his hits in the playoffs, and brings big goals from the third line.

I'm not surprised hes playing as well as he is. I hate Vancouver, but Raffi has been my favorite hockey player for quite some time.
You should post here more often. Few people on this board ever recognize what Raffi brings.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:12 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
I was a fan of Torres when he was here. But his game seems to have changed. All he seems to do now is cruise around looking for the vulnerable guy that he can charge. He hits to hurt people. He isnt making a hockey play.

Last edited by I am the Liquor: 06-11-2011 at 02:24 PM.
Old
06-11-2011, 02:14 PM
ales83fan

Meh, he also takes some really stupid penalties. Also, and this is purely my opinion, hansen and lapierre are far from scrubs. One is a speed demon, and both are good PKers. If anything, they are all just as good, or maybe they're carying Torres... I would like a guy like Torres though for sure

Old
06-11-2011, 02:15 PM
Eytinge

His last year or two here he stopped hitting. I think all the criticism he got from the media after his hit on that Detroit guy got to him.

With Vancity he seems to lay out at least one solid hit a game. Where was this for us? Especially considering how soft our team was and still is.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:17 PM
ohheyhemsky

vCash: 50
Bryan Marchment, where's the love?

The dude is out there with the intent to hurt people and is always the first guy to take a stupid penalty. No respect for other players = no respect from me.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:22 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 8345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Bryan Marchment, where's the love?

The dude is out there with the intent to hurt people and is always the first guy to take a stupid penalty. No respect for other players = no respect from me.
Pretty much.

Nice summation.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:30 PM
tv14

Raffi was one of my favorite players when he was here, and as the years have gone on, I have liked him less and less. Maybe its the type of game he plays, you love it on your team and hate playing against him, I dont know. But he is making stupid plays/hits and taking stupid penalties.

He is on a hot streak right now. He had 4 points in the previous 16 games this playoffs. He's a streaky player, always has been and always will be. The reason why Torres plays so little is because he is not good enough for the PP or PK.

And wtf? "Playing with scrubs like Hansen" I would take Hansen no questions asked before Torres.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:33 PM
ohheyhemsky

Are you a fan of Matt Cooke?

The guy is undoubtedly a pretty great penalty killer, hits incessantly, and hey even had more points in 15ish(?) less games than Raffi Torres. Plus 14 this year, and a plus 17 last year compared to Raffi's plus 4 this year and minus 3 last. Isn't afraid to drop the gloves, even though it's consistantly with lesser individuals but most importantly, enjoys the idea of ending careers on the ice.

Cool stuff, right?

Old
06-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Meanashell11

Why does this guy continue to try to find ways to brag about the Cannots on theOilers board?? If you want to cheer for them, they have their own HF board, use it please.

It's just a sneaky way to start another fight.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
Jesus

The love is probably found in the Vancouver board.

Seriously what is the point of posting this here?

Old
06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
Auguste Escoffier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus View Post
The love is probably found in the Vancouver board.

Seriously what is the point of posting this here?
Considering he whined about the Messier topic. The only difference about the two topics: He likes one of them.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

****, it's just Canucks everywhere you turn around here. Our own board isn't even a place one can go for some sanctuary.

Time for a break, methinks.

Sorry, but this belongs in the playoff discussion thread, if it wasn't closed right now.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:10 PM
OilerNut*

So is this the new playoff fight thread?

Old
06-11-2011, 03:12 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

absolutely none from me.

Raffi Torres, former Oiler or not, is my most hated player in the NHL. He doesn't get any love.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Daneo21

vCash: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ol' Jase View Post
****, it's just Canucks everywhere you turn around here. Our own board isn't even a place one can go for some sanctuary.

Time for a break, methinks.

Sorry, but this belongs in the playoff discussion thread, if it wasn't closed right now.
This is exactly why it got closed though... I guess all you can really do is just ignore it... and yes time to take a break and get as far away from hockey for the summer to avoid more canuck talk.... chances are it only gets worse from here

Old
06-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Jamin

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
I was a fan of Torres when he was here. But his game seems to have changed. All he seems to do now is cruise around looking for the vulnerable guy that he can charge. He hits to hurt people. He isnt making a hockey play.
pretty much this.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:18 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Where was he in the SCF in '06? Where was he for Buffalo last year? It's a hell of a lot easier to produce when you aren't relied upon to do so. As for the Playoff Discussion GDT it'll get opened when we feel like babysitting again. In the meantime this thread is on a very short leash. Also if people are cheering for the Canucks might I recommend posting on the NHL or Canucks boards as has been stated before, it is going to draw a LOT of fire here which isn't exactly helpful to us mods. All it does is create extra work and headaches for all. It isn't much different that starting a Taylor Hall is a bust thread here or repeating that thought process over and over again, it will not be well received no matter how polite or articulate you might be about it. It would be nice if people could take a step back and realize that all this amounts to is needless work for the mods and a lot of pissed off people.

06-11-2011, 03:21 PM
s7ark
LeonTheProfessional

Replacement, did we really need this thread? If you want to get validation for your love of a rival team's player maybe that team's board is where you should go for that discussion.

But since you started the thread here I may as well respond. I really think you need to examine your blinders a bit, bud. Torres is now arguably as big a cheap shot artist as Cooke. When he was here, he sometimes ran over guys but he also hit guys normally too, to jar the puck free. That is where most of his offense came from. Now all he does is skate around waiting for the opposing puck carrier to be within his hitting range and then destroy him, hoping to take him out of the game. In short, he now fits the nucks modus operandi perfectly. He's not a player to be loved.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:23 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

On second though, screw it, this thread is done. Regardless of the OP's motives for starting this thread it will not lead to anything good and I'm not wasting my time or my fellow mods time on babysitting this kind of topic that doesn't even belong on this board.

Closed Thread