HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chris Tanev Appreciation Thread.

Old
06-11-2011, 02:28 PM
jimmythescot

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waveburner View Post
Ballard has been no worse this year than Kevin Bieksa was for the previous three seasons. The difference is this year the Canucks have alternate options, whereas before the club simply had to ride out Bieksa's struggles. One poor year does not make a career.
Yup. If Bieksa and Ehrhoff want more than $10.5M between them, I say ship whichever one is being more ridiculous and go with Ballard as a top 4 guy next year. It is slightly risky, but I think he would be a great player for us if he gets a rest over the summer (already getting one I suppose) and is able to build his confidence through training camp and a more regular....regular season.

If B & E are happy to stay within that budget, ship Ballard for the equivalent of the Ehrhoff trade if need be. Someone will want him. Gillis found a buyer for M. Schneider. Just think of it as trading Ballard for Bieksa and Ehrhoff.

EDIT: Needless to say I'm pencilling in Tanev as a bottom pairing defender. Rome probably will be his partner, but Parent should be up too next year. Maybe another signing by Gillis to make that bottom pairing a bit stronger?

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:34 PM
adamzilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetFoxes View Post
Me neither. If people don't realize by now that Ballard is ****ing terrible, they never will. So Ballard had a few good years in Phoenix and in Florida- great 0 pressure environments- being a top defenseman on a team that went nowhere. Clearly since moving to Vancouver he could either not handle being the sixth dog or the pressure of a real market. Guy does not have the mental make up to play a significant role for a winning team.
Hello 2010 Ahlberts?

Ballard may not have had the best year, but remember last offseason he had hip surgery and was in a cast for a few weeks. IIRC AV also said he wasn't in the best condition early in the year, maybe that was partly due to Ballard wanting to step in and play with his new team ASAP rather than sitting around rehabbing/conditioning.

Tanev will be gold. I won't be surprised if his development jumps in the next couple years à la Edler.

Last edited by adamzilla: 06-11-2011 at 02:40 PM.
adamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:37 PM
Heaters not lazt*

That one pass he made to Glass (I think) was incredible

Heaters not lazt* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:43 PM
vancityluongo

The thing about Tanev is that the way he plays, he looks like he's been in the league forever, so it's hard to get a gauge for his true potential. With a guy like Edler, when he was a raw rookie, he was oozing potential, and you could see that he could possibly develop into the player that he was last night even if he wasn't demonstrating it at that time. With Tanev, the only thing that is clear is that he should be able to add some muscle to his frame in the next couple years, but who knows where his game goes from here on out. Excellent signing by MG.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:49 PM
YogiCanucks

I don't see the offensive game in Tanev but he just stay the same calm cool puck mover that wins puck battles, if he brings nothing more than the ability to QB a PP I will be thrilled.

I love having 6 Puck moving guys.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:53 PM
YogiCanucks

First post of a double post. SON

Last edited by YogiCanucks: 06-11-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old
06-11-2011, 03:02 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vancityluongo View Post
The thing about Tanev is that the way he plays, he looks like he's been in the league forever, so it's hard to get a gauge for his true potential. With a guy like Edler, when he was a raw rookie, he was oozing potential, and you could see that he could possibly develop into the player that he was last night even if he wasn't demonstrating it at that time. With Tanev, the only thing that is clear is that he should be able to add some muscle to his frame in the next couple years, but who knows where his game goes from here on out. Excellent signing by MG.
Well no, I disagree. Towards the end of his regular season stint you could tell that Tanev would get under pressure in certain situations. WHen he has the puck on his stick he's cool as can be. And usually when checking players he's in the right position (but he got absolutely burned in that Columbus (maybe Minny) game, which was by far his worst). His biggest flaw, and it's really a huge compliment that this is the biggest, is that when thing don't go according to plan he sometimes panics.

For example, yesterday when he cut back but the forward read it there was a certain degree of panic. You see it a lot when the puck gets caught in his feet. But again... as 21 year old... wow if that's the biggest problem in your game...

Old
06-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Sedinery2011

This guy will be a STUD for this team...He is like a baby Hamhius

Sedinery2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:20 PM
vancityluongo

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Well no, I disagree. Towards the end of his regular season stint you could tell that Tanev would get under pressure in certain situations. WHen he has the puck on his stick he's cool as can be. And usually when checking players he's in the right position (but he got absolutely burned in that Columbus (maybe Minny) game, which was by far his worst). His biggest flaw, and it's really a huge compliment that this is the biggest, is that when thing don't go according to plan he sometimes panics.

For example, yesterday when he cut back but the forward read it there was a certain degree of panic. You see it a lot when the puck gets caught in his feet. But again... as 21 year old... wow if that's the biggest problem in your game...
I mean in terms of composure. He's never caught scrambling, and some of his best plays are the ones that go completely unnoticed. Obviously he'll still have rookie moments, but they're less frequent than you'd expect from any first year player. Especially compared to the rest of the blueline on this team, he looks like a player that's late in his career and is now simply the defensive conscience on a pairing.

vancityluongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:45 PM
windflare

From Tanev's coach in Markham:

Quote:
Cornacchia, meanwhile, said he's not the least bit surprised with Tanev's rapid progression.

The only missing ingredient during his tenure with the Waxers, he said, was time to grow into his physical frame.

Once he began to do that, Cornacchia felt he had a potential NHLer on his roster.

Much to the chagrin of some naysayers.

"It was just a matter of him getting bigger and stronger," Cornacchia said.

"He's grown at least one foot since he was 14 or 15 years old to where he's now six-foot, three-inches tall. When he played for us (the Waxers) I told a number of NHL teams to draft him in the late rounds. I even told a number of people, including my son Mark (who played with Tanev on the Waxers and at Rochester Institute of Technology last season) that he would play in the NHL and he said I was nuts."

What makes Tanev a valuable asset, Cornacchia said, is his offensive prowess while displaying a high degree of poise. In particular, an ability to see the ice and to play the game on an even keel.

"He has great vision, he reads the game well and he doesn't panic when he has the puck. He makes a great first pass," Cornacchia said.

As for Tanev's future, Cornacchia feels his best hockey is yet to come.

"He'll be quarterbacking a powerplay real soon," he predicted.
http://www.insidetoronto.com/sports/...ley-cup-finals

Let's ease off on the judgment on his offensive prowess here. You don't score 28 points as a freshman Dman in the NCAA without a good degree of skill, and again, this is his first year playing pro as a 21 year old - moving up from his freshman year in the NCAA, moving up from the OPJHL the year before...

windflare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:53 PM
alternate

two plays really stuck out with me as far as Tanev's offensive potential is concerned. Obviously the pass to Glass was a brilliant look, especially given the context of Tanev's first ever SCF game.

the other one, not sure who it was to and it wasn't a big deal, but Tanev was skating the puck up, looked like he was going make the red line and dump it in but instead made a nice pass inside to someone streaking down the middle. Didn't lead to much but it was such a nice, simple, effective play...sky's the limit with this kid.

stop me if I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if Edler and Tanev could build some chemistry next year we could have ourselves a franchise pairing for the next ten years! Woooooo!

alternate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:07 PM
jimmythescot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post
two plays really stuck out with me as far as Tanev's offensive potential is concerned. Obviously the pass to Glass was a brilliant look, especially given the context of Tanev's first ever SCF game.

the other one, not sure who it was to and it wasn't a big deal, but Tanev was skating the puck up, looked like he was going make the red line and dump it in but instead made a nice pass inside to someone streaking down the middle. Didn't lead to much but it was such a nice, simple, effective play...sky's the limit with this kid.

stop me if I'm getting ahead of myself here, but if Edler and Tanev could build some chemistry next year we could have ourselves a franchise pairing for the next ten years! Woooooo!
I just got a twinge in my down belows.

But yeah, it's too early for that. Let him play on the bottom pairing and gain experience of playing in the big league next season. By the start of the following season he should have bulked up considerably compared to now and he should have an even better understanding of the game at this level. That pairing could be absolutely lethal.

Just have to hope that Edler hasn't fooled us all with his quiet likeable demeanour, and is actually a mercenary.

jimmythescot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Catamarca Livin

Like hamhuis Tanev makes his partner better. Rome makes his partners look worse including Tanev. Tanev passes tape to tape and works to get open to accept passes. Rome does neither.

Catamarca Livin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:18 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Does anyone have a video of this pass? I missed the entire game because of an interview.

CanucksHD, maybe?

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:38 PM
rye&ginger

CBC or TSN website must have highlights...I cant find it on youtube.

rye&ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:47 PM
Frewen

Check Canucks Videocenter for the game highlights - it's about 1:58 in.

Still weeping about that fluff from Glass even though it didn't matter in the end. Good decision from Tanev though and it shows how Thomas can be exploited because he moves so far out of his crease.

Frewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
Saren
Multi Pass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frewen View Post
Check Canucks Videocenter for the game highlights - it's about 1:58 in.

Still weeping about that fluff from Glass even though it didn't matter in the end. Good decision from Tanev though and it shows how Thomas can be exploited because he moves so far out of his crease.
Thanks man. It's around 1:40ish for anybody who wants to see it.

Glass. I must break you.

Saren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by windflare View Post
From Tanev's coach in Markham:

http://www.insidetoronto.com/sports/...ley-cup-finals

Let's ease off on the judgment on his offensive prowess here. You don't score 28 points as a freshman Dman in the NCAA without a good degree of skill, and again, this is his first year playing pro as a 21 year old - moving up from his freshman year in the NCAA, moving up from the OPJHL the year before...
I definately think Tanev has the ability to one day QB a PP in the NHL. He's in a bit over his head right now to show much in the offensive end but I was blown away by his play in the rookie tournament last September. He was rushing the puck up ice and making plays with ease. His shot is definately his weakest offensive skillset at the moment but as we've seen with Kesler, added size and strength and a commitment to improving it should be enough to get his shot to where it needs to be - his height will also serve him well in this regard.

Gillis and co., keep pumping out these smart, skilled, mobile defenseman with good sticks. I look forward to the days where we don't need to carry any more 'safe' dmen who's only job is to not get scored against. Soon we'll have no use for the Rome's, Albert's and Rory Fitzpatrick's of the world.

Doesa anyone know if Patrick McNally had a good developmental year? He's another guy in the Tanev mold I believe...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:16 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Doesa anyone know if Patrick McNally had a good developmental year? He's another guy in the Tanev mold I believe...
He had a good year but he's not in the Tanev mold at all. He's a straight-up offensive D, rushes the puck constantly, pinches all the time, etc. Of course a lot of that is because of the league he plays in but I think a better comparison for McNally if he develops is someone like Campbell or Carle.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He had a good year but he's not in the Tanev mold at all. He's a straight-up offensive D, rushes the puck constantly, pinches all the time, etc. Of course a lot of that is because of the league he plays in but I think a better comparison for McNally if he develops is someone like Campbell or Carle.
Isn't that the game Tanev played at RIT? I think Tanev is an offensive defenseman that is just playing it safe because he's made such a huge jump to the AHL level, let alone to the NHL.

What's the word on McNally's defensive game? Is there anywhere to find some quotes on his play this past season? He's like a ghost...

Drop the Sopel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
King of Anarchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by YogiCanucks View Post
Makes up for that Oberg signing and Walsky... but seriously, if 1/3 of our FA signings turned out like this....
Without Evan Oberg, we wouldn’t have been able to acquire Chris Higgins.

King of Anarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:27 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Isn't that the game Tanev played at RIT? I think Tanev is an offensive defenseman that is just playing it safe because he's made such a huge jump to the AHL level, let alone to the NHL.

What's the word on McNally's defensive game? Is there anywhere to find some quotes on his play this past season? He's like a ghost...
I don't remember where they are, sorry. thefeebster probably knows, as per usual. Tanev was more of a two-way guy. He played with Dan Ringwald who had 11 more points than Tanev.

Tiranis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:27 PM
ChemicalHansen

Send a message via Skype™ to ChemicalHansen
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternate View Post

I think you're talking about Kesler here, but I'm not sure.

It would make sense since he's clearly told all of the defenseman to catch him in stride whenever they can.

ChemicalHansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:41 PM
Britton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
I don't remember where they are, sorry. thefeebster probably knows, as per usual. Tanev was more of a two-way guy. He played with Dan Ringwald who had 11 more points than Tanev.
Yeah, wasn't he on the ice for something like 4 goals against all season?

Britton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:47 PM
Johnny Canucker

Trade or buyout ballard. Our d next year would be

Hamhuis Juice
Edler Error
Salo Tanev
rome alberto.

Even giving bieksa and error 5m each, we are still spending less on D than we did this year.

Johnny Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote