HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread, Part I

Old
06-09-2011, 11:34 PM
we want cup
We do not Sow

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CH2 View Post
Does anyone think Brenden Morrow would be a good target this offseason?
Ehhhh. I like him a lot as a player, but I'd much rather have a center. If he could be had for a reasonable enough package, then sure. I have a feeling he'll stay in Dallas, though.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:08 AM
MorrisWanchuk

can someone please tell me what Sather's plan B is if Richards doesn't arrive. I keep wondering what it could be?

It may be to do nothing - that might be the best bet, making a bigger splash next off-season.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:17 AM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
can someone please tell me what Sather's plan B is if Richards doesn't arrive. I keep wondering what it could be?

It may be to do nothing - that might be the best bet, making a bigger splash next off-season.
Plan B is either try to acquire a #1 center for a reasonable cost or just stay the course and let the kids continue to develop and keep searching trades/free agency next season/year.

06-10-2011, 12:32 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
Talk on the Isles board is that Konopka won't be coming back. If that's true, I want to be in on him. Let him center the fourth line, and move Boyle to left wing.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:33 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Talk on the Isles board is that Konopka won't be coming back. If that's true, I want to be in on him.
I wouldn't mind. But where is he going to play?

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:39 AM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
I wouldn't mind. But where is he going to play?
Quote:
Let him center the fourth line

I'd like to have him. 1 year, 1 mil is fine with me.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:42 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Talk on the Isles board is that Konopka won't be coming back. If that's true, I want to be in on him. Let him center the fourth line, and move Boyle to left wing.
So you're for saying sayonara to Feds, then? I like Konopka, but I like Feds too. I think he's a good fit here, especially if we get Richards.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 12:46 AM
MorrisWanchuk

i like konopka.

isnt he really good on face offs too?

why arent the isles bringing him back?

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 01:12 AM
TheRedViper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
So you're for saying sayonara to Feds, then? I like Konopka, but I like Feds too. I think he's a good fit here, especially if we get Richards.
Any way that we could say 'bye' to Avery in that situation? Boyle can be the third line LW?

TheRedViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:41 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I'd look at Erik Cole too and see how much he wants. He's beginning to elevate his game again after that near career ending injury.

26-26 this past season.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-10-2011, 04:43 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I like Cole -- experienced, speedy, two-way winger. But -- much like Leino, he is a RWer. The Rangers are stacked at RW, and I'm not sure he would play as well @ LW. Also, he hasn't really produced well out of Carolina -- he loves it there, he fits the team, and he's been there for a while. I'd be shocked if he didn't re-sign.

06-10-2011, 04:45 PM
Puckface NYR*
R.I.P. Boogyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I'd look at Erik Cole too and see how much he wants. He's beginning to elevate his game again after that near career ending injury.

26-26 this past season.
This post looks familiar

Puckface NYR* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:20 AM
NYRangers16

I like the kids, but they are going to have to force their way in, not be given a spot. Stepan last year showed he belonged, and eventuall played over some vets like Aves and EC. I think the same thing needs to hppen this year.

Feds plays an excellent 2 way game, has some scoring ability, and is just a tough player...really fits in too well on the bottom lines to be let go. Honestly, he should be kept over Avery. Feds is perfect for a 3rd or 4th line role.

Prospal, when healthy the last two years has put up great point totals...essentially he is a 60 pt winger, just you cant count on him staying healthy. I think if he's affordable(around a mil) then how can you not bring him back? If he can't stay healthy, then the kids get a shot. If he can stay healthy and produces, then great! And if he stays healthy but doesnt produc, i isnt much of a cap hit to have him go away. Really it's a no-lose situation.

(Btw Konopka with the faceoffs and physicality would be pretty cool as a 4th line center with Boyle and Prust).

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:16 PM
spanky8992

Send a message via AIM to spanky8992
Why can't we just move forward with the plan from last year. Bring up young guys and let them grow in to stars. Richards is going to be another Gomez-Drury-Redden signing. I hope they stay on course.

spanky8992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky8992 View Post
Why can't we just move forward with the plan from last year. Bring up young guys and let them grow in to stars. Richards is going to be another Gomez-Drury-Redden signing. I hope they stay on course.
That would all be true if Richards is worlds above those 3 players mentioned.

Richards worst years were probably Drury and Gomez's best years in terms of point production (60ish points).

You can't compare those players because he is a tier above them.

And riddle me this: Who in our system, or of our young players, has the ability to come in and put up 85-90 points and have first line ability.

Richards is better than ANYONE we have in our prospect pool, or young player on the roster.

To win in this league you need 3 things: strength down the middle, good shutdown defense, and average-above average goaltending.

Right now we have 2 out of the 3. Add Richards and add a top line LW and we are instantly a contending team, book it.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
That would all be true if Richards is worlds above those 3 players mentioned.

Richards worst years were probably Drury and Gomez's best years in terms of point production (60ish points).

You can't compare those players because he is a tier above them.

And riddle me this: Who in our system, or of our young players, has the ability to come in and put up 85-90 points and have first line ability.

Richards is better than ANYONE we have in our prospect pool, or young player on the roster.

To win in this league you need 3 things: strength down the middle, good shutdown defense, and average-above average goaltending.

Right now we have 2 out of the 3. Add Richards and add a top line LW and we are instantly a contending team, book it.
Richards is also on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a concussion. It's not to say he won't be himself...However, it's still a concern in the back of my mind considering this teams track record with most UFA signings.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:24 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Richards is also on the wrong side of 30 and coming off a concussion. It's not to say he won't be himself...However, it's still a concern in the back of my mind considering this teams track record with most UFA signings.
Sure it's a concern, but even so he is still better RIGHT NOW then any options we have in the minors. Even if we stay the course it would probably be another 2-4 years before people like Kreider, Thomas, and all the other young players are set to really make their mark on this team and be true NHL players.

We are accelerating the development by adding Richards to the young players on this team. We won't have to put as much pressure on the Dubinsky's, Callahan's, Anisimov's, Stepan's, etc to carry the offensive load.

The concussion is an issue but he is still, imo, better than anything we have now.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:31 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Sure it's a concern, but even so he is still better RIGHT NOW then any options we have in the minors. Even if we stay the course it would probably be another 2-4 years before people like Kreider, Thomas, and all the other young players are set to really make their mark on this team and be true NHL players.

We are accelerating the development by adding Richards to the young players on this team. We won't have to put as much pressure on the Dubinsky's, Callahan's, Anisimov's, Stepan's, etc to carry the offensive load.

The concussion is an issue but he is still, imo, better than anything we have now.
I'm just being cautiously optimistic when it comes to Richards.

Don't get me wrong I'm in the group that thinks we're very close to contending. We need that center men, one other game breaking winger and we're pretty much set. I want the forward group to be built around 3 guys. Gaborik , a #1 centermen who may be Richards, and another game breaking 25-30+ goal winger.

My plan B would be Patrick Sharp if Richards doesn't work out.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:34 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Don't get me wrong I'm in the group that thinks we're very close to contending. We need that center men, one other game breaking winger and we're pretty much set. I want the forward group to be built around 3 guys. Gaborik , a #1 centermen who may be Richards, and another game breaking 25-30+ goal winger.

My plan B would be Patrick Sharp if Richards doesn't work out.

I'm just being cautiously optimistic when it comes to Richards.
As Ranger fans it's inherent in our blood to be either cautiously optimistic or extremely pessimistic.

You're right that his concussion is a concern. There may still be some lingering effects that he will have to deal with but when I look at other options they either aren't good enough to be a number 1 center, or they will cost us an arm and a leg.

Then I look at within our organization and at the draft and for those people who claim we should "stay the course" I don't see anyone in the near future that can step in and be as good as Brad is.

I personally don't like Patrick Sharp as our #1 center, but he would look really good next to Richards and Gaborik on the LW .

Old
06-11-2011, 06:52 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
As Ranger fans it's inherent in our blood to be either cautiously optimistic or extremely pessimistic.

You're right that his concussion is a concern. There may still be some lingering effects that he will have to deal with but when I look at other options they either aren't good enough to be a number 1 center, or they will cost us an arm and a leg.

Then I look at within our organization and at the draft and for those people who claim we should "stay the course" I don't see anyone in the near future that can step in and be as good as Brad is.

I personally don't like Patrick Sharp as our #1 center, but he would look really good next to Richards and Gaborik on the LW .
The reason why I wouldn't mind Sharp as plan B ( certainly better plan B than Weiss IMO) is because our boys Stepan and Anisimov aren't bad centermen. Hence the thread I made asking " how confident are you in both "

I feel they both will easily be 50+ point guys in the near future. Sharp can only help relieve the pressure on Step and Arty if we strike out on Richards. I'm also certain Sharp won't cost the world to get.

Stastny I love before anyone else. Spezza is another guy. However, I'm afraid at what we'll have to give up to attain such players.

Without the pro's and con's in play this is how I would rank who I want:

1. Stasny
2. Spezza
3. Richards
4. Sharp
5. Weiss

Old
06-11-2011, 07:04 PM
TrollololBoyle

The only issue I have with Sharp, and he is one of my favorite players, is that I don't view him as a true center. Sure he can play center, but I'd prefer him on wing. Either way, he isn't available.

If it's not Richards, I don't know what my plan B is, but it would all have to come down to the price for me. I think Stastny would fit the mold of this team perfectly, but he would cost way too much. Spezza would be okay, but he'd still cost a bit. I really don't want Weiss.

If the Rangers don't get Richards or Stastny (if the latter is even available) I'd much prefer they develop a center through the draft like McNeill, Khokhlachev or Schiefele

TrollololBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:08 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Girardi, Anisimov, Wolski, 15th overall

for

Hemsky, Eberle, Foster

Hemsky Richards Gaborik
Dubinsky Stepan Eberle
Zuccarello Boyle Callahan
Avery Fedotenko Prust

Staal Erixon
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Foster

Lundqvist
Biron

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:10 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

EDM won't do that trade.

Eberle isn't going anywhere.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
JeffMangum
~anger~

vCash: 50
I like Sharp -- I wouldn't want to trade for him, though, Richards or no. He's a fine player -- a near lock for 30 goals. But, for what it would take to pry him for the Blackhawks, and for what he produces per season, it isn't really worth it.

Also, as DSG pointed out, he's more of a winger than a center -- he isn't really a viable "plan B" like a Weiss, Stastny, or Spezza would be.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:16 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

I've seen Sharp play center and he's perfectly good at it. In fact, it's his natural position. The Black hawks have Toews down the pipe and are thin on the left side which is why Sharp made the pivot -- and it clicked for them.

I much rather have Sharp than Weiss if it were to come to that. I would LOVE to have Stastny and Spezza over anyone but it's what it might take to acquire them that scares me.

The only thing about Sharp is that he's a shooter, so your left winger would have to be a play maker. Some one like a Hemsky or even Zuccarello down the line would fit nicely.

Hemsky-Sharp-Gaborik