HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Rangers out of Richards sweepstakes?

Old
06-11-2011, 04:35 PM
frankthefrowner

vCash: 500
The only way i see Tampa offering him a contract is if they are able to dump Vinny Ls Contract. It doesnt make much sense otherwise.

frankthefrowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:37 PM
Kamal007
GOD DAMMIT

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankthefrowner View Post
The only way i see Tampa offering him a contract is if they are able to dump Vinny Ls Contract. It doesnt make much sense otherwise.
That defeats the purpose of playing for Tampa then. He wants to play there because of his childhood friend Vinny.

Kamal007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:50 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Why would Richards go from one bubble playoff team with ownership issues to another?

I mean, I really like St. Louis as a team, and as nice as it would be to see Richards sign there as an alternative to NY(instead of going to Buffalo/Toronto/TB -- ugh), it won't happen.
Oh I don't discredit that, and I doubt Richards will sign here for a bevy of issues, but why would St. Louis not be a Richards away from a serious contender. Hell, they may be a serious contender even without Richards

bluesfan94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 04:56 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

This is my general consensus on the whole issue (which frankly I am damn tired of already).

New York Rangers: Like basically all the teams listed above, they have a great young core that is an up-and-coming team. They also have the cap space to rather easily fit Brad in. They will likely not be the highest bidder, probably topping out at around 7 mill/yr. Richards looks at Torts as his mentor, and it's a great city and building to play for/in. Richards has the chance to be "the guy" on the top line and he fills the teams two biggest needs right now: #1 center and PP QB. Chances of landing him: 60% .

Buffalo Sabres: This team has really gained some steam and personally as a Rangers fan scares me the most out of all the competition. They have an up-and-coming team and also have the cap space to spend. Brad would slot nicely on the top line playing with Vanek, and he has a chance to be in a quiet area with a passionate fanbase. Lindy Ruff is also a great coach that a lot of players would like to play for. On the negative side though, there really isn't any connections tying Brad to BUF. The owner is willing to spend but some view Buffalo as the red-headed stepchild to the major tri-state area teams (I truly mean no offense by that). Chances of landing him: 10%.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Again, like the above mentioned teams, they are an up-and-coming team that has the money to spend. Depending on what Brad wants in terms of a deal (aka winning vs money) TOR is clearly in the best position to offer him the money. Brad fills Toronto's need of a #1 center there as well. On the negative side, TOR is a media circus and Brad has never really been in an atmosphere like that. TOR is a great place to play but can really be hard for players. Also, Brad has no ties to the TOR area so there really isn't a draw in that regard. Also, compared to the Rangers, Buffalo, and Tampa, the addition of Brad probably won't be enough to put TOR over the hump. Chances of landing him: 15%.

Tampa Bay Lightning: It is clear that Brad's heart is in TB. He has a long history with them and plenty of ties in the area. Tampa is an extremely good team that is close to winning a championship. However, it has been reported that TB is losing money, and even though plans are to increase the internal cap, it's unclear how much ownership will be willing to spend. TB has bigger issues to worry about then Brad (Yzerman understands he has to make sure he takes care of his players before worrying about other players). It is unclear how much cap room TB can muster but it won't be nearly as much as the above mentioned teams. Logistically it also doesn't make sense for him to go to TB since they really need to focus on the slightly above-average defense and their questionable goaltending. Adding Brad would be offensive overkill and not how you win playoff games (ask Washington). However, the roots may be tempting enough to lure Brad back. Chances of landing him: 15%.

Darkhorse Teams: Detroit- great team with cap space to spend. Brad has no ties to the area and probably wouldn't be offered the term that he's looking for.

LA- Another great young team with cap space. Center really isn't one of their main concerns right now. Brad has no connections to the area and DL hasn't been known to get the big fish.

Last edited by New York RKY: 06-11-2011 at 05:18 PM.
New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:08 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
This is my general consensus on the whole issue (which frankly I am damn tired of already).

New York Rangers: Like basically all the teams listed above, they have a great young core that is an up-and-coming team. They also have the cap space to rather easily fit Brad in. They will likely not be the highest bidder, probably topping out at around 7 mill/yr. Richards looks at Torts as his mentor, and it's a great city and building to play for/in. Richards has the chance to be "the guy" on the top line and he fills the teams two biggest needs right now: #1 center and PP QB. Chances of landing him: 75% .

Buffalo Sabres: This team has really gained some steam and personally as a Rangers fan scares me the most out of all the competition. They have an up-and-coming team and also have the cap space to spend. Brad would slot nicely on the top line playing with Vanek, and he has a chance to be in a quiet area with a passionate fanbase. Lindy Ruff is also a great coach that a lot of players would like to play for. On the negative side though, there really isn't any connections tying Brad to BUF. The owner is willing to spend but some view Buffalo as the red-headed stepchild to the major tri-state area teams (I truly mean no offense by that). Chances of landing him: 15%.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Again, like the above mentioned teams, they are an up-and-coming team that has the money to spend. Depending on what Brad wants in terms of a deal (aka winning vs money) TOR is clearly in the best position to offer him the money. Brad fills Toronto's need of a #1 center there as well. On the negative side, TOR is a media circus and Brad has never really been in an atmosphere like that. TOR is a great place to play but can really be hard for players. Also, Brad has no ties to the TOR area so there really isn't a draw in that regard. Also, compared to the Rangers, Buffalo, and Tampa, the addition of Brad probably won't be enough to put TOR over the hump. Chances of landing him: 5%.

Tampa Bay Lightning: It is clear that Brad's heart is in TB. He has a long history with them and plenty of ties in the area. Tampa is an extremely good team that is close to winning a championship. However, it has been reported that TB is losing money, and even though plans are to increase the internal cap, it's unclear how much ownership will be willing to spend. TB has bigger issues to worry about then Brad (Yzerman understands he has to make sure he takes care of his players before worrying about other players). It is unclear how much cap room TB can muster but it won't be nearly as much as the above mentioned teams. Logistically it also doesn't make sense for him to go to TB since they really need to focus on the slightly above-average defense and their questionable goaltending. Adding Brad would be offensive overkill and not how you win playoff games (ask Washington). However, the roots may be tempting enough to lure Brad back. Chances of landing him: 5%.

Darkhorse Teams: Detroit- great team with cap space to spend. Brad has no ties to the area and probably wouldn't be offered the term that he's looking for.

LA- Another great young team with cap space. Center really isn't one of their main concerns right now. Brad has no connections to the area and DL hasn't been known to get the big fish.
Ok so 75% for the Rangers yet only 5% for Toronto and Tampa? What the hell are you smoking? Tampa and Toronto have just as good of a chance as the Rangers do, try looking at this objectively.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:15 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by apb03 View Post
Ok so 75% for the Rangers yet only 5% for Toronto and Tampa? What the hell are you smoking? Tampa and Toronto have just as good of a chance as the Rangers do, try looking at this objectively.
Yeah, I don't understand that myself.

I have a feeling that Richards is not going to end up in NY -- I think, for once, Sather will (gasp!) use restraint, and it will hurt the chances of signing Richards. I don't see him going anywhere over $7M -- and while I would be disappointed with no Richards, I'd be fine with Sather not overpaying a UFA for once.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:17 PM
Man Hole Inspector*

Quote:
Look at his signature.. enough said

Man Hole Inspector* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:20 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
I said it was my personal opinion, I didn't say that's everything based on the facts.

I do agree 75% is high but I have felt personally all along there is a great chance to lower Richards.

I tweaked the percentages a little but I still think that he is going to be a Ranger. I don't care if you think it homerism or not but I weighted the facts through my personal opinion and the numbers I came up with are 60, 10, 15, 15.

Sorry if you don't like it but that's my opinion.

Old
06-11-2011, 05:35 PM
Nasty Nazem
The North Remembers

I think it would be pretty awesome if Richards signs with Columbus just to see the reaction on this board.

Nasty Nazem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:37 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

Epsilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:46 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nasty Nazem View Post
I think it would be pretty awesome if Richards signs with Columbus just to see the reaction on this board.
I'd be ok with it.

It's not like we lost any of our prospects to try to get him.

We still have the assets to go out and try to get another #1 center.

And even if we don't do that we still have a great young core.

Old
06-11-2011, 05:47 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
I'd rather see him sign in Nashville -- they'd be scary with Richards.

BrianBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:48 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

Old
06-11-2011, 05:53 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
With the retirement of Rafalski, this opens up capspace for Detroit and I can see them getting Richards.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:54 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Well Nash does need someone to feed him the puck...

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:55 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
I am thinking their chances are not a bunch lower then Leafs/Rags/Sabres.
I would go like
30% Rags
30% Leafs
25% Sabres
15% Jackets

Not including teams dark horses.
Sorry Lightning I don't see how or why you even try to sign him. Unless he takes a huge pay cut. That seems unlikely.

75% to any team, is complete homerism.
Even 50% is pretty much crazy unless you know something and are not sharing.

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 05:57 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Well Nash does need someone to feed him the puck...
That would be an incredible combination to watch.

Old
06-11-2011, 06:01 PM
Ih8theislanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfan94 View Post
Oh I don't discredit that, and I doubt Richards will sign here for a bevy of issues, but why would St. Louis not be a Richards away from a serious contender. Hell, they may be a serious contender even without Richards
That may be the case down the line, but they aren't contenders now. By the time they can seriously contend (they do have a great young core), Richards probably wouldn't be in his prime or just leaving it. No offense, but I don't see how you could call them serious contenders now when they didn't even make the playoffs.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:03 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by nophun View Post
Sorry Lightning I don't see how or why you even try to sign him. Unless he takes a huge pay cut. That seems unlikely.
Richards has acknowledged that if he were to return to Tampa money wouldn't be #1 on his list of reasons.

chasespace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:04 PM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
I said it was my personal opinion, I didn't say that's everything based on the facts.
No, what you said is that it was your "general consensus." Consensus is the majority opinion of a group (not one person). Thus you were saying that the general opinion was what you were about to state.

As an aside, "general consensus" is redundant. A consensus is the general opinion of a group.

Khelvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Quote:
I am thinking their chances are not a bunch lower then Leafs/Rags/Sabres.
I would go like
30% Rags
30% Leafs
25% Sabres
15% Jackets

Not including teams dark horses.

75% to any team, is complete homerism.
Even 50% is pretty much crazy unless you know something and are not sharing.
Maybe 30% Rags, 25% Leafs, 20% Sabres, 15% Jackets and another 10% for all darkhorse teams.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:14 PM
GE0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epsilon View Post

GE0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:18 PM
FireEverybody*

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Richards has acknowledged that if he were to return to Tampa money wouldn't be #1 on his list of reasons.
How much you think you could actually offer him ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathradio View Post
Maybe 30% Rags, 25% Leafs, 20% Sabres, 15% Jackets and another 10% for all darkhorse teams.
I think that is acceptable. Who really know.
Face it Sather could go full retard and give him 8m*332 years.

Then I think the Rags chances jump to about 75%+

FireEverybody* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:20 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
How huge a pay cut do you think it would take? Would he go as low as $5-$6M to go back to the Lightning?

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Boltsfan2029

vCash: 698
Quote:
How much you think you could actually offer him ?
That would depend on how much we have left after signing our own UFAs and RFAs. Do you think he'd take Gagne money? If we don't re-sign Gagne, that would be pretty much a wash. If Brad took $6M from us we'd only be increasing payroll for him by a relatively small amount.

Word is he wants to go back east so I'm not sure where Columbus enters the picture here.

Boltsfan2029 is offline   Reply With Quote