HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Offseason Thread, Part I

Old
06-11-2011, 07:23 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
I've seen Sharp play center and he's perfectly good at it. In fact, it's his natural position. The Black hawks have Toews down the pipe and are thin on the left side which is why Sharp made the pivot -- and it clicked for them.

I much rather have Sharp than Weiss if it were to come to that. I would LOVE to have Stastny and Spezza over anyone but it's what it might take to acquire them that scares me.

The only thing about Sharp is that he's a shooter, so your left winger would have to be a play maker. Some one like a Hemsky or even Zuccarello down the line would fit nicely.

Hemsky-Sharp-Gaborik
Richards or bust.

The last thing this team needs to be doing is trading for more 2nd tier type players like Patrick Sharp.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:28 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Richards or bust.

The last thing this team needs to be doing is trading for more 2nd tier type players like Patrick Sharp.
That 2nd tier player has done something Richards never has -- 2 time 30+ goal scorer. Take it for what it's worth.

Sure it's unfair to compare the two since they're different players-- however both can line-up down the middle.

I wouldn't mind Richards, but the way some of you are going at it makes you think we're about to sign Malkin or something.

hpNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:34 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
I wouldn't mind Richards, but the way some of you are going at it makes you think we're about to sign Malkin or something.
Agree with this 100% -- a lot of overrating of Richards going on in here. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the Rangers couldn't sign him -- although, it would hurt the organization's chance of winning sooner than later.

As long as they get a legitimate #1 center, it's irrelevant to me what happens. The only players I wouldn't be happy with trading, period, are Lundqvist, Staal, and Callahan -- McDonagh for personal bias.

06-11-2011, 07:40 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Agree with this 100% -- a lot of overrating of Richards going on in here. It wouldn't be the end of the world if the Rangers couldn't sign him -- although, it would hurt the organization's chance of winning sooner than later.

As long as they get a legitimate #1 center, it's irrelevant to me what happens. The only players I wouldn't be happy with trading, period, are Lundqvist, Staal, and Callahan -- McDonagh for personal bias.
Disagree. I think Richards is one of the more underrated players in the NHL and he has been for a long time.

The guy is one of the best playmakers in the league, period. And the way that hes able to dictate play/play a possession game is only going to help this team in the longrun. Not to mention he is an outstanding powerplay quarterback.

His impact on the game is much closer to Malkin than it is to a Drury/Gomez/Redden, since some fans are only capable of measuring this move against some of the disasters of the past.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:42 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Disagree. I think Richards is one of the more underrated players in the NHL and he has been for a long time.

The guy is one of the best playmakers in the league, period. And the way that hes able to dictate play/play a possession game is only going to help this team in the longrun. Not to mention he is an outstanding powerplay quarterback.

His impact on the game is much closer to Malkin than it is to a Drury/Gomez/Redden, since some fans are only capable of measuring this move against some of the disasters of the past.
Richards should never be compared in the same sentence as Malkin.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:45 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Same could be said for those comparing him to Drury, Gomez, and Redden.

Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
I said, from a talent standpoint, hes closer to Malkin than he is to Gomez/Drury (who multiple posters have mentioned in the same sentence as Richards.

Would you like to have that debate? Because I would welcome it.

Old
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:

I think Richards is generally underrated -- but he certainly isn't the savior of the Rangers, like I've seen some basically insinuate.

Excellent playmaker, great PPQB -- but he has his flaws. He's not of Malkin's caliber, just like he's not of Drury/Gomez caliber. I don't know what I'd classify him as -- comparing him to previous #1 centers on Cup Finalists the past few seasons, I'd say that he's good enough to take a team to a cup, but he won't carry them there on his own.

JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:48 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

We have literally been posting the same debate since the trade deadline.

What are we accomplishing? People are either for or against Richards. We have heard the debate from both sides with everyone repeating the same stuff over and over again.

This is kinda getting aggravating to be honest. It's annoying that we keep have the same argument but we clearly aren't getting anywhere.

New York RKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Love Rebecca Black View Post
Same could be said for those comparing him to Drury, Gomez, and Redden.
If you're suggesting I compared Richards to Gomez or Drury-- I never did.

Someone said Richards is the better choice over Stastny because he is a winner and has a ring. That is a flawed argument to make..so I replied with " Gomez and Drury had rings as well when we signed them"

A Richards in his prime VS. a Gomez/Drury in his prime... Richards has the edge by a step or two. He's better-- but not by a significant margin.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:49 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Quote:
We have literally been posting the same debate since the trade deadline.

What are we accomplishing? People are either for or against Richards. We have heard the debate from both sides with everyone repeating the same stuff over and over again.

This is kinda getting aggravating to be honest. It's annoying that we keep have the same argument but we clearly aren't getting anywhere.
Only a little less than 3 weeks, and this'll all be over.

And -- it's a message board -- what are accomplishing in any of these 'debates'.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:51 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
If you're suggesting I compared Richards to Gomez or Drury-- I never did.

Someone said Richards is the better choice over Stastny because he is a winner and has a ring. That is a flawed argument to make..so I replied with " Gomez and Drury had rings as well when we signed them"

A Richards in his prime VS. a Gomez/Drury in his prime... Richards has the edge by a step or two. He's better-- but not by a significant margin.
No I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the people who are against this signing and base it off the failures of the other 3.

I also disagree with that last point you made. Richards in his prime was capable of 80-90 points on any given year. I think that Drury and Gomez were only good for 60-70.

I think Richards is 1-2 tiers above those two, but that's me.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:52 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
I've seen Sharp play center and he's perfectly good at it. In fact, it's his natural position. The Black hawks have Toews down the pipe and are thin on the left side which is why Sharp made the pivot -- and it clicked for them.
Sharps game is best suited on the wing, imo.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
Only a little less than 3 weeks, and this'll all be over.

And -- it's a message board -- what are accomplishing in any of these 'debates'.
Nothing but it's a pointless back and forth that will be in an endless loop.

The pro Richards side will repeat their same information and the anti Richards side will give their info. We just keep going back and forth with the same information and it's a cyclical debate that's not getting us anywhere.

Frankly it's getting kinda annoying, I'm only here because I'm not working today :p

Oh and I have NHL 11 running right now and haven't paid any attention to it and while reading about Richards I turn to the game and on the main menu was a giant picture of Richards--it's a sign! lol.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:54 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Agreed.

I never really envision him as a center, even though he is.

That's why I think he would be perfect on the LW next to Richards and Gaborik .

Old
06-11-2011, 07:56 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
No I wasn't referring to you. I was referring to the people who are against this signing and base it off the failures of the other 3.

I also disagree with that last point you made. Richards in his prime was capable of 80-90 points on any given year. I think that Drury and Gomez were only good for 60-70.

I think Richards is 1-2 tiers above those two, but that's me.
Gomez and Drury were integral parts to the Stanley cup teams they were a part of. Their teammates, coaches, ex managers say as much. The same could be said for Richards of course back in Tampa. He was after all the conn smythe winner.

He's def. better than those 2. But those 2 offered a different skillset, especially Drury and his defensive side.

Stricly numbers wise? Sure Richards was probably a tier or 2 above Dru and Gomez when all 3 are compared during their prime years.

Old
06-11-2011, 07:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Gomez and Drury were integral parts to the Stanley cup teams they were a part of. Their teammates, coaches, ex managers say as much. The same could be said for Richards of course back in Tampa. He was after all the conn smythe winner.

He's def. better than those 2. But those 2 offered a different skillset, especially Drury and his defensive side.

Stricly numbers wise? Sure Richards was probably a tier or 2 above Dru and Gomez when all 3 are compared during their prime years.
And that's another reason why it's so hard to compare them.

Gomez was supposed to be a puck carrier/playmaker but he was nowhere near the level of Richards in playmaking ability.

Drury provided more of a goal scoring punch and better defense but lacked the playmaking ability.

Richards is an elite playmaker that has decent goal scoring ability and is good enough defensively.

I think when comparing the players it's really hard to do that and justify that those contracts are similar to the one we'd give Richards.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:01 PM
The New Originals

If we sign Richards, I imagine he'll put up numbers that are a bit better than what Gomez put up in his first year with us. I'm thinking 75-80 pts. Gomez was actually good in that first year for us, so really, even comparing him to Redden is silly. If you're going to do that, than you might as well throw Gaborik into the mix as well since his second season with us was terrible compared to his first

HpNYR is right in that he shouldn't be compared to Malkin. Malkin could put no effort in at all and still finish a season with at least 70 points if he wanted to. And when he's healthy and motivated in the playoffs, the dude can average two points a game and completely take over a series. That's what separates guys like Malkin from guys like Brad Richards.

The New Originals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:03 PM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
Maybe, because he's a shooter. But, you can get a play making wing like Jagr was towards the end of his career. Except it would need be be a LW -- like a Hemsky.

Also..If you have Sharp playing on a line with Gaborik. Sharp is going to have room, and if not than Gaborik will have room on some nights. You have two shooters on 1 line. One of them is going to have space.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:33 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Gaborik, Wolski for Jack Johnson, Wayne Simmonds
Girardi, Anisimov, Zuccarello, 15th overall for Eberle, Hemsky
Buy out Drury

Sign Richards 7 years, 7 million per
Sign Jagr 1 year 4.5 million per

Hemsky Richards Jagr
Dubinsky Stepan Eberle
Simmonds Boyle Callahan
Fedotenko Avery Prust

Staal Johnson
McDonagh Sauer
Del Zotto Erixon

Lundqvist
Biron

Done. Simple.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:36 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Why do you keep posting the same trade proposal?

Old
06-11-2011, 10:41 PM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Why do you keep posting the same trade proposal?
Because the same trade proposal is not the same trade proposal, at all.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:47 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuccarello Awesome View Post
Because the same trade proposal is not the same trade proposal, at all.
They keep involving Jack Johnson and Wayne Simmonds.

What's up with the man crushes?

Jack Johnson is good but we don't really need him right now, at least he's not the most of our worries.

Wayne Simmonds is redundant on this team.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:52 PM
JeffMangum
Registered Ab-user

Jagr isn't coming back.

Eberle won't be traded.

Hemsky is made of glass.

Simmonds is redundant.

/discussion

Next.

Been saying it for the past few days -- Andrew Brunette. Would look great with Gabby, regardless of whether the Rangers can sign Richards or not.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:55 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Sorry I really am not interested in Burnette either.

But yea, everyone you mentioned above is right.