HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Hockey Buzz article) Carter to Edmonton

Old
06-11-2011, 03:14 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Maybe a three way trade going on here with edmonton and columbus.

Carter

for

Voracek and 8th overall.

Then Carter is bounced to edmonton for the first overall. Columbus is tight on money, so they get the playmaker RNH to play with nash or the quality defenseman that they need.

I don't know, i'm purely speculating.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:43 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

this proposal is automatically shot down by the fact that gagner would be coming back. we DO NOT need another center. gagner would be behind richards, giroux and briere. if carter is traded for a roster player it's going to be for either a young winger with 1st line potential, or a young defenseman with 1st pairing potential and a 1st round pick.

orange is better is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:27 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
this proposal is automatically shot down by the fact that gagner would be coming back. we DO NOT need another center. gagner would be behind richards, giroux and briere. if carter is traded for a roster player it's going to be for either a young winger with 1st line potential, or a young defenseman with 1st pairing potential and a 1st round pick.
I'm not saying Philedelphia should want Gagner but -Gagner could easily play RW.

In fact, Gagner's best season points-wise was when he was playing RW, as an 18 year old rookie no less. 49 points with Andrew Cogliano as his center.

Gagner shouldn't even be playing center for Edmonton.. basically he's playing C out of necessity because Edmonton has no centers.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:16 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
I'm not saying Philedelphia should want Gagner but -Gagner could easily play RW.

In fact, Gagner's best season points-wise was when he was playing RW, as an 18 year old rookie no less. 49 points with Andrew Cogliano as his center.

Gagner shouldn't even be playing center for Edmonton.. basically he's playing C out of necessity because Edmonton has no centers.
but is he a natural winger? sam gagner hasn't struck me as the type of guy who will win you hard fought battles in the corners and drive the net for loose pucks. that's what we need. not another small playmaking center.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:24 PM
Lottery Oilers*
Nuge is Cobra

Quote:
but is he a natural winger? sam gagner hasn't struck me as the type of guy who will win you hard fought battles in the corners and drive the net for loose pucks. that's what we need. not another small playmaking center.
What is a "natural winger"? Most wingers in the NHL are centers in junior that weren't good enough defensively to play center in the NHL. When I think of a "natural winger", I think of someone that is so good offensively that the defensive game doesn't matter (Semin, OV, Kovalchuk, St Louis ect). Obviously that's not Gagner.

Gagner could put up 55+ points on the wing though. He's certainly a lot better than Versteeg (still have no idea why Philadelphia traded for him).

Anyways, I'm not trying to pump up Gagner or anything, just saying he's a much better winger than he is a centermen.

Lottery Oilers* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreasyGrinder View Post
What is a "natural winger"? Most wingers in the NHL are centers in junior that weren't good enough defensively to play center in the NHL. When I think of a "natural winger", I think of someone that is so good offensively that the defensive game doesn't matter (Semin, OV, Kovalchuk, St Louis ect). Obviously that's not Gagner.

Gagner could put up 55+ points on the wing though. He's certainly a lot better than Versteeg (still have no idea why Philadelphia traded for him).

Anyways, I'm not trying to pump up Gagner or anything, just saying he's a much better winger than he is a centermen.
of course, that's pretty much common sense, however my point is that we dont need another small forward. Carter is one of our biggest forward, and for a team that lacks size already up front, we dont need to be trading him for another undersized forward. we NEED a big bodied winger who can dig pucks out of the corners, plant himself in front of the net and score goals.

Old
06-11-2011, 10:48 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I wouldn't mind seeing Gagner and Cogliano come back, or any of their top of the line prospects/high picks...to I do agree with what OiB is saying about the need for size on the wings again.

What I'd love to see happen won't add size, but it'll add a boatload of speed, and it'll add a ton of grit/forechecking (Gagne, Upshall, LaRose, + the Voracek deal). I can't imagine we can get Raffi Torres for very cheap after these playoffs, but I wouldnt mind that at all...same if Brouwer and Kopecky

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 10:54 PM
Ghost of Downie*

If Edmonton wants Carter, I want something based around Paajarvi and the 19th or the 1st overall++. Gagner and the 19th doesn't come close.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:06 PM
Fulton44*

Gagner has actually had more success in his career playing at right wing, and like Voracek, he would make an excellent line mate for Danny Briere.

That being said, I don't think Gagner, 19 and 31 is quite enough for Carter. Edmonton could START WITH Gagner and 19 and add on from there, OR they could offer up Eberle, 19, and 31.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:47 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Trading Carter just doesn't seem to make sense for a team in our position. Any return centered around picks and prospects doesn't help us win now. We have two years of Pronger and Timonen left, and anyone we're rumored to be trading Carter for isn't going to help us nearly as much as Carter would in that time span.

I know we'll get more for him than Versteeg, or Carle, or Hartnell, but those guys are much easier to replace than Carter. I know we have salary to shed, but there's other ways to do it.

I just feel like for the next couple years: this team with Carter and Bryz > this team with Bryz and whatever we get for Carter.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:48 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Maybe a three way trade going on here with edmonton and columbus.

Carter

for

Voracek and 8th overall.

Then Carter is bounced to edmonton for the first overall. Columbus is tight on money, so they get the playmaker RNH to play with nash or the quality defenseman that they need.

I don't know, i'm purely speculating.
Columbus cant afford another rebuild which is what they would be entering making your deal.

They need a playoff run badly because there fanbase is no longer willing to support garbage product + they are losing money and need something to reinvigorate there fanbase

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:21 AM
PhilaFlyers

Ryan Nugent Hopkins.

PhilaFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:40 AM
GirouxCouturier
GirouxMVP

how far off is Carter for #1 overall straight up?

GirouxCouturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:17 AM
BrindamoursNose

I want MPS. Bad.

BrindamoursNose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 07:49 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protest View Post
Trading Carter just doesn't seem to make sense for a team in our position. Any return centered around picks and prospects doesn't help us win now. We have two years of Pronger and Timonen left, and anyone we're rumored to be trading Carter for isn't going to help us nearly as much as Carter would in that time span.

I know we'll get more for him than Versteeg, or Carle, or Hartnell, but those guys are much easier to replace than Carter. I know we have salary to shed, but there's other ways to do it.

I just feel like for the next couple years: this team with Carter and Bryz > this team with Bryz and whatever we get for Carter.
As much as i hate Carter, I agree with this.

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:10 AM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by girouxrichards View Post
how far off is Carter for #1 overall straight up?
Personally, I think Carter is more valuable than the #1 this year.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:37 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
Personally, I think Carter is more valuable than the #1 this year.
He's a proven player, of course he's worth more than the #1!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:05 AM
chimrichalds18
the key

Again, if a team sent an offer sheet to Carter and he signed it and went with them, they would owe us 4 #1s. Now, even if you want to value the #1 overall as more than a regular #1 (= 2 #1s), the offer still needs to be damn good.

I don't think Holmgren trades Carter unless he gets blown away. He doesn't have to.

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:14 PM
ilovetheflyers8

That deal also doesn't save us that much more cap space than trading Hartnell, if we were able to do it for just a pick or a prospect. We'd save about 395,000 more than trading Hartnell. Of course, as mentioned by Greasy Grinder, Gagner can play wing, so we would get someone to replace Carter's spot on the RW (assuming Briere and Giroux stay at center), or whoever replaces Carter. We would also get a 1st round pick albeit a lower one, and a top 2nd round pick would be nice, though based solely on what people have said on HF the draft isn't a particularly strong one so those picks might not be that helpful.

edit- Even with trading Carter in this deal, unless we send down Shelley we would still have to trade someone else just to fill out the roster after signing Bryzgalov assuming he takes 5,750,000 or more,

Last edited by ilovetheflyers8: 06-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 06:28 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
For Carter? Entirely too much. Columbus is rumored to be offering Voracek and the 8th. That first and MPS will not be traded for Carter from Edmonton's POV.
What Columbus is offering is irrelevant. Columbus doesn't have a first overall and MPS to offer so you can't conclude that Carter's value is less because Columbus is offering less. There's also no reason to believe the Flyers would accept Columbus' offer so it may take more to get Carter. If I am Holmgren Voracek and the 8th is not enough.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:53 AM
PhillyCurt12

i'd do mps and next year's first rounder for carter and next year's second (what would we do with a 2nd?).

PhillyCurt12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:57 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyCurt12 View Post
i'd do mps and next year's first rounder for carter and next year's second (what would we do with a 2nd?).
We'd give it away for a goon or an over the hill dman?

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:48 AM
Larry44
10 - 88

Quote:
but is he a natural winger? sam gagner hasn't struck me as the type of guy who will win you hard fought battles in the corners and drive the net for loose pucks. that's what we need. not another small playmaking center
with a history of serious concussion problems.

I think you forgot to add the last part.

Larry44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:58 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

A hockey buzz 'article' - good work, great find....

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:51 AM
infidelappel*

I dreamed that the Flyers solved their goaltending issues by signing me, and won 5 Cups in a row before I was chased out of town by the Philly media and fans not understanding goaltending.

That's probably as reputable as some hockeybuzz blogger.

...okay, maybe I didn't actually have that dream. But it's still about as legitimate as hockeybuzz.

infidelappel* is offline   Reply With Quote