HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Is Toronto Guaranteed Playoff Spot???

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 06:07 AM
Habs4ever

vCash: 500
Is Toronto Guaranteed Playoff Spot???

I saw thread in leafs forum winning the cup this year, but from look of things they are becoming Ranger type over paid, no chemistry hockey club and how exactly are they guaranteed playoff spot by that, Ya leafs got great talent but those guys are past their prime and are looking step behind young clubs, I'm hoping teams Like Atlanta enter the post season for the first time, and go all the way like last years minny.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:14 AM
swflyers8*

Send a message via Yahoo to swflyers8*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
I saw thread in leafs forum winning the cup this year, but from look of things they are becoming Ranger type over paid, no chemistry hockey club and how exactly are they guaranteed playoff spot by that, Ya leafs got great talent but those guys are past their prime and are looking step behind young clubs, I'm hoping teams Like Atlanta enter the post season for the first time, and go all the way like last years minny.

I don't see them getting a 5th spot like they did last year and the fans hate hearing that. I see the teams like Atlanta, Buffalo and Carolina gunning for the playoffs. They all have improved with the exception of Atlanta in losing Heatley but they seem to be doing ok without him. Buffalo has great additions and so does Carolina with Staal and Markov on defense. I just Toronto getting hit with injury bug again. I hope that these young teams do well this year.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:15 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

No team in the NHL is a lock to make the postseason, not the Wings, not the Sens, not the Stars and nor the Leafs..

However, I think they have what it takes to finish in the top 4 and I wouldn't bank against them for not reaching the playoffs. They have a solid forward pack a supurb veteran goalie and a rugged, yet rather thin D-corps.. A D-corps that's not even that bad when healthy, at least not as bad as people make it sound. Among the most dangerous playoffs teams out East IMO though..

I think they will make the playoffs rather easily at somehwere near the 5th spot. Yet they are no lock, no one is..

Old
10-17-2003, 06:18 AM
John Flyers Fan

I don't think the Leafs are a lock to make the playoffs, but they are a safe bet to get in. They should finish 2nd in the Northeast and be a 5th-7th seed in the East.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:22 AM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If Belfour struggles like he did in Dallas a few years ago, then no, they will not make it. They are definitely not a lock.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:32 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

No, they are not a lock. I think Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Ottawa and NJ are all locks though.

Old
10-17-2003, 06:38 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by nash61
No, they are not a lock. I think Colorado, Dallas, Detroit, Ottawa and NJ are all locks though.
Nope, no team is a lock.. Remember Dallas of 2001? That could happen to any of these teams.. Injuries, funks, cold streaks, no more chemestry, players not getting allong with eachother, management chances, trades.. all things that could influence a team's succes that are impossible to predict..

Old
10-17-2003, 06:54 AM
Darth Vitale
Transitional Period

If they stay healthy and Belfour plays reasonably well it's hard for me to imagine them [finishing lower than 8th] in the East. All things being equal, I suspect they'll finish behind Ottawa, Philly and maybe Carolina in terms of points. I honestly don't see how they could wind up worse than 5th or 6th without some key injuries.

They're not Ranger-like just yet but the additions of Nolan and Marchment take them decidedly in that direction IMO.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:07 AM
think-blue-

Send a message via MSN to think-blue-
No, definately not a lock.

The East will definately be more competitive this year - teams like Buffalo, Carolina, Montreal, etc. will all compete for the last few spots.

However, I'd say the odds are in favour of the Leafs making the playoffs as opposed to missing out.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:38 AM
BruinsGirl

I think they'll make it..they are veteran team who knows how to win. Comparisson to the Rangers are rediculous. Rangers might have all talent in the world but they are not gelled and well coached.

Leafs went 0-1-2-0 ...but these are onlt first 3 games of the season!

IMHO they will be in 5-7 position.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:38 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

no.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:54 AM
TwineSniper

Send a message via MSN to TwineSniper
I have been saying from the start that the leafs aren't guaranteed playoff bound, if they make it at all...I think there are more questions on this team then answers...the defence is weak (IMO), Belfour is aging, as is the offence...and to me, I think they play cocky, like they know they should be one of the best in the league, but that is only my observation...I honestly predict them placing anywhere between 7th and 10th place.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:39 AM
Mats Sundin

there not Guranteed, im pretty sure they will get a playoff spot, most likely the 6th,7th or 8th spot, nothing highrt.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:50 AM
balddog66

they'll be there, obviously anything can happen, but if injuries don't hit hard they'll be fine.
3 games people...no reason to believe the won't make it...similar to team Canada at the Olympics...
Now that MOntreal is roaring along, have they convinced anyone other than Habs fans that they'll make the playoffs?

Old
10-17-2003, 11:19 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Every team run the risk of having a horrible season. Last season the Avs were stinking it up for half the season without any major injuries to key players. With injuries to more key players than Sakic they could have continued to stink it up after christmas.

If Belfour goes down Leafs will be in huge problems. If Kaberle goes down, the defense will be in problems. The leafs are deep in forwards so I don't think someone going down will make a huge impact there.

But they should be good enough to make the playoff as it stands. And if they make the playoffs and the planets are aligned correctly, their veterans could start playing very good and they will go deep in the playoffs. Or Nolan/Roberts etc are so banged up they can't do crap.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:23 AM
StanleyCH25

Quote:
Originally Posted by balddog66
they'll be there, obviously anything can happen, but if injuries don't hit hard they'll be fine.
3 games people...no reason to believe the won't make it...similar to team Canada at the Olympics...
Now that MOntreal is roaring along, have they convinced anyone other than Habs fans that they'll make the playoffs?
Being a Habs fan, I can tell you that I'm not convinced we will make the playoffs. Just as I'm not convinced the Leafs or the Bruins will either. I get the feeling we might see a lot of close teams in the east again this year with possibly only the Penguins really trailing behind.

Every team is depending on a few factors (including luck) with Toronto hoping that Belfour has another good year in him and that the defense can hold up. Boston is hoping their defense can hold up and that they can find a reliable #1 goaltender (Raycroft?). Montreal is hoping that Theodore returns to form (has he really established a form yet?) and hopes to avoid the injury bug.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:24 AM
Brock

Definitely not.

I think that we should be able to make it, but we are far from a lock. I expect us to grab one of the last 3 spots in the East.

Old
10-17-2003, 11:27 AM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

They probably won`t be fighting for 1st in the East but I think there`s a pretty good chance the Leafs make the Playoffs. But anything could happen, Roberts and Nolan are both pretty injury prone McCabbe is out if someone like Sundin was lost for any length of time due to injury I could see the Leafs just squeaking into the playoffs. Or not even making them. Or if Belfour has a bad year. You never know and like most people I agree that no one is a lock for the playoffs.

Closed Thread