HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

What do we do?

Old
06-07-2011, 11:27 PM
avsman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by falconski View Post
I think there's a guy named Hunwick going into UFA that would look good next to him
Yeah! ive heard of him but he an RFA so we have to givve him 7MIL+ so we know we get him i heard he even has awesome nick names

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:17 PM
Bonzai12

Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzai12
I'm probably going to buy a Hunwick jersey if he leaves, just so I can look in the mirror after every Avs game and remember that it could be a lot worse.

Bonzai12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 06:37 PM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Staal, duh.

I think it will be Quincey. The organization seems to be pretty high on him. Hopefully that doesn't play into the Landeskog-Larsson decision.

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-08-2011, 11:21 PM
avsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColAvsFan View Post
Staal, duh.

I think it will be Quincey. The organization seems to be pretty high on him. Hopefully that doesn't play into the Landeskog-Larsson decision.
i dont think it will, especially with that video, that reassured me, and like i said if they do draft larsson it wont me for a mega strong top pairing itll be to make a crazy good top 4

avsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:03 AM
Jimmy Carter
Avs/Leafs fan

I like the Gaunce-EJ idea. Lot of responsibility for a guy with limited experience though. Try it out in pre-season and see how it goes. If not probably Quincey. I want to see EJ paired with a more defensive guy for now so we can get a real good look at what he can do offensively by his partner letting him jump up into the play.

Jimmy Carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 08:50 AM
Christian Litscher
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
i dont think it will, especially with that video, that reassured me, and like i said if they do draft larsson it wont me for a mega strong top pairing itll be to make a crazy good top 4
What makes you say this with such confidence?

Christian Litscher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:31 AM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsman View Post
Here's the scenario:

Quincey - EJ (Q gets his big chance to prove he belongs)
Liles - Larsson (Liles as mentor to the rookie, Larsson's skills support Liles' offensive game)
Gaunce - O'Byrne (putting the beat down on opposition, tough 3rd pairing)
Wilson as 7th.

Elliott, Barrie, HolÝs, Chouinard get time to develop in LEM.

That has the potential to be a very solid defense with a very good top 4. Watching the Nuck melt down on the blueline as they lose depth leaves me wanting Larsson at #2, if he's BPA.

niwotsblessing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 09:58 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by niwotsblessing View Post
Here's the scenario:

Liles - Larsson (Liles as mentor to the rookie, Larsson's skills support Liles' offensive game)
Wilson as 7th.

That has the potential to be a very solid defense with a very good top 4. Watching the Nuck melt down on the blueline as they lose depth leaves me wanting Larsson at #2, if he's BPA.
Why break up the Liles - O'Byrne duo? The seem to have some chemistry. I think Quincey plays with EJ by default. I'm really not big on Quincey at this point, I wouldn't mind a bit if he were traded. The final pair will be whomever Colorado decides to keep from the remaining RFA's. I would like Wilson to make the cut.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 11:20 AM
NOTENOUGHBREWER

Johnson - Quincey
Liles O Byrne
Wilson Koci

NOTENOUGHBREWER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 12:42 PM
Elever
Hth

^ Elliot? Gaunce? Barrie? The French guy? They might start in the AHL but one of the guys might even win over a training camp spot or become a permanent once they get up here like Shattenkirk did.

But I guarantee you they'll fit Cumiskey in there somehow lol.

Having a Hunwick Avs jersey is basically like a jersey foul. I'm gonna try to repress the memory.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 01:26 PM
niwotsblessing

Quote:
Originally Posted by CB Joe View Post
Why break up the Liles - O'Byrne duo? The seem to have some chemistry. I think Quincey plays with EJ by default. I'm really not big on Quincey at this point, I wouldn't mind a bit if he were traded. The final pair will be whomever Colorado decides to keep from the remaining RFA's. I would like Wilson to make the cut.
Good question. First reason is to get the rookie Larsson on the ice with Liles who is our most experienced NHL dman, I see Liles in a mentoring role. Second is that Larsson, from the reports, has more offensive skills than O'Byrne and can support Liles better 5 on 5 and as a PP unit. O'Byrne is better suited to a 3rd pairing role, with Gaunce as a more skilled puck mover in the tandem I feel they could be quite effective.

niwotsblessing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-09-2011, 02:05 PM
Freaky Styley

Quote:
Here's the scenario:

Wilson as 7th.

I think these pairings are very interesting actually.. I wouldn't mind seeing them tried out in training camp/pre season if we do draft Larsson just to see if they work. If not, then just put Liles back with OB and mix up the rest. It's also nice having Gaunce and Wilson battle for the 6th spot, will only help them work harder. Though, this is assuming Larsson plays in the NHL next year.

EDIT: the only thing wrong here is that I worry about the 3rd parings foot speed, they would get burned by faster teams all the time. It's nice having Liles bail out OB's slow feet, I think OB feels more comfortable in that role and plays better because of it.

Last edited by Freaky Styley: 06-09-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Freaky Styley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:25 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
What do you guys think about Josh Gorges, he's an RFA, what would you give up for him. I think he could be great with EJ, a very good defensive defensmen with left handed shoot to complement EJ. I've been very impressed with the way this guy plays every time I see him play, and I've seen him play quite alot since I like les Habs and i follow them on regular basis.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:54 AM
CB Joe

vCash: 544
Quote:
Good question. First reason is to get the rookie Larsson on the ice with Liles who is our most experienced NHL dman, I see Liles in a mentoring role. Second is that Larsson, from the reports, has more offensive skills than O'Byrne and can support Liles better 5 on 5 and as a PP unit. O'Byrne is better suited to a 3rd pairing role, with Gaunce as a more skilled puck mover in the tandem I feel they could be quite effective.
I would not be very comfortable watching an O'Byrne - Gaunce pairing trying to clear the puck from the defensive zone.

I might be in the minority, but if we draft Larsson I hope he stays in Sweden for a year or plays in the AHL for a year first.

CB Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:35 AM
GIJeff76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
What do you guys think about Josh Gorges, he's an RFA, what would you give up for him. I think he could be great with EJ, a very good defensive defensmen with left handed shoot to complement EJ. I've been very impressed with the way this guy plays every time I see him play, and I've seen him play quite alot since I like les Habs and i follow them on regular basis.
Gorges would be a nice pick but habs will sign him. From Mtl I'd look toward Hamrlik. The guy is solid, not young but a good veteran fit with this young D unit.
Sign him 3,5M x 2 years, the time the youngsters develop.

You never have enough D. And put OB where he belongs.

EJ-Q
Liles-Hamr
OB-?
last 2 spots to best youngsters

?

GIJeff76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 11:42 AM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

vCash: 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJeff76 View Post
Gorges would be a nice pick but habs will sign him. From Mtl I'd look toward Hamrlik. The guy is solid, not young but a good veteran fit with this young D unit.

EJ-Q
Liles-Hamr
OB-?

?
Well MTL has PK, Gill, Markov (if they resing him), Wiz (resign), Emelin, Diaz, Weber, and Sopel (resign), so i tought that his rights could became avaliable for the right price. Not so sure about Hamrlik.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:00 PM
GIJeff76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Well MTL has PK, Gill, Markov (if they resing him), Wiz (resign), Emelin, Diaz, Weber, and Sopel (resign), so i tought that his rights could became avaliable for the right price. Not so sure about Hamrlik.
1)Mtl will sign Markov 100% sure
2)then sign Gorges
3)then see if there is money left for Wiz. There won't.
4)Say thank you to Sopel.

Mtl has also Spacek under contract. So Hamr is sacrified, but he still has a couple good years in front of him.

Him or Brewer.

GIJeff76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 12:11 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Originally Posted by GIJeff76 View Post

EJ-Q
Liles-Hamr
OB-?

?
I'd like to see that, especially if Hunwick is out of the picture.

Our huge ? is in net... I mean all is quiet on that front, right?

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:48 PM
the_fan

Is everybody here discounting Larsson from being picked up by the Avs in the draft and playing next season in the NHL?

I think there is a very good chance at that, but i don't see anyone mentioning Larsson being one of the top 6 d-men , perhaps even playing with EJ on top pair.

the_fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Yayo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOOMUCHBREWER View Post
Johnson - Quincey
Liles O Byrne
Wilson Koci

Yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 03:37 PM
Bubba Thudd
Infer-Action!!!

vCash: 7757
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yayo View Post
What?

I thought Koci did just fine as a 3rd pairing defensemen in the handful of games he played there. Better than he did as a forward. He adds grit and vet presence to a young D.

He'd be a decent #7 D, getting inserted in the line-up when we play teams that we know like to goon it up.

EDIT: Hella lot better than giving up an asset for the rights to Hamrlik or whatever.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:33 PM
iAvs
JUST WIN

Quote:
Ya know, that was the exact same face I made, lol

Koci did swell in the handful of games he played on D.... but seriously, there has to be a better option.

iAvs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:26 PM
ManOnTheMoon
Hejdas Gonna Hejd

I think we should keep in mind that EJ is still just 23. He's not a veteran that should be tasked with mentoring a rookie d-man. We should look to add some experience to the D, we have plenty of youth. I think a McCabe or a Jovanovski would be a great idea. A bigger, stronger, and above all else, meaner defenseman than any we have.

I also second keeping Liles and OB together. They worked well. OB might be a stretch to be a #4 d-man, but they were probably the best pairing we had last season.

The bottom pairing is up in the air, except that it would include Quincey. It's hard to gauge where his game will be on his return, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before he was knocked out of commission last year, either. I like Gaunce for the role, but I wouldn't say it's his position to lose.

ManOnTheMoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:43 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
Report Spam @JWK Plz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOnTheMoon View Post
I think we should keep in mind that EJ is still just 23. He's not a veteran that should be tasked with mentoring a rookie d-man. We should look to add some experience to the D, we have plenty of youth. I think a McCabe or a Jovanovski would be a great idea. A bigger, stronger, and above all else, meaner defenseman than any we have.

I also second keeping Liles and OB together. They worked well. OB might be a stretch to be a #4 d-man, but they were probably the best pairing we had last season.

The bottom pairing is up in the air, except that it would include Quincey. It's hard to gauge where his game will be on his return, he wasn't exactly setting the world on fire before he was knocked out of commission last year, either. I like Gaunce for the role, but I wouldn't say it's his position to lose.
Hell no for Mccabe the guy sucks ass. EJ, Liles are both better than him. Jovo I wouldn't mind but I'd rather get a guy better Markov or Erhoff.

Duchene2MacKinnon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 09:04 PM
WarriorOfGandhi
Was saying Boo-urns

Quote:
It's funny that ten years ago, people thought the same about Chara -- just a big, talentless goon and a waste of a roster space.

and yes, I am implying that Koci will one day win a Norris. No doubt in my mind

WarriorOfGandhi is offline   Reply With Quote