HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

After game thoughts

Closed Thread

Old
10-17-2003, 04:58 AM
Dynasty

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
A question to the board, "Does Koivu's return balance our team and team depth even more or does it hinder the ice time and progress of Riberio and what happens to the Ryder/Perreault/Audette line? Where and who does Saku play with? You can't argue with Saku's talent and what he means to this team, but you know what it's like sometimes players pick up the slack when their best player is out, do we keep it up or do they say Saku's back the pressure to perform is off us now??? I hope not.

I hope Saku comes back and adds another element to our team and attack, let's keep it going boys.

One other thing, Theo is back to his 2001-2002 form.......big time!

Some very good questions there RE-HABS!...I've been pondering these things over in my mind too!

Old
10-17-2003, 05:02 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Komisarek
I have a strong feeling you'll see Ryder playing with Koivu when Koivu gets back.
Me too!!...but it's not the first time I've been wrong!

Old
10-17-2003, 05:04 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS
I think the "Real" Mike Riberio has entered the building too.

I hope you're right!

Old
10-17-2003, 05:17 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy!
You just have to love whenever Mario comes to town, the games just seem to have that much more intensity. This one had the atmosphere of a stretch drive game instead of something in late October. Shame it wasn't a sellout - guess the boobirds have chosen to stay home.

We were lucky to come away with this one, if you want to call it like it is. For the first two periods it was touch and go until the Zedder scored in the final seconds of the second. Had Pittsburgh been able to shoot, we might very easily have been down heading into the third, and one can only wonder if we would have seem the same dominant third had les boys been fighting from behind.

There were a lot more bonehead plays tonight than we've seen the last two games. I wonder if overconfidence because of who we played tonight set in. One way or another, we had a hard time completing three passes in a row until the third.

~~

Notes:

Theo: More and more solid each game. Tonight he made saves that kept us in the match early allowing the rest of his teammates to wake up and take over. A

Hainsey: Another quiet game, which in his case is good. Defensively he's much more aware and offensively he jumps in less often, but usually with better result. B+

Brisebois: Solid game again. His only backhand, behind the back pass was in the opposing zone and was during a powerplay while he had two teammates further back than he was. He's playing a much tougher game now, and it's good to see. B+

Quintal: Think I might give him the name CoughCough until he stops giving up all these juicy pucks in our zone. Almost cost us a couple again and I'm not entirely sure why Komi was sent down. Must be that Komi really wasn't playing as well as we all hoped. At least Quintal used toughness. C+

Souray: I see him as a legitimate #2 or 3 on any team within a month or so. His confidence level is going way up and he's playing with a wonderful mean streak. Clears out the front of the net like no tomorrow as well. A

Rivet: A good game, though he was bailed out by Markov a couple of times. Nice to see him healthy and playing with an edge, but he needs to be more concentrated in his own zone. B

Markov: Anyone else note how this guy keeps his eye on the puck no matter what? He's brilliant at the stick check, wonderful at clearing the puck from a maze of feet, and fantastic intercepting passes. Hand-eye coordination is second to none. A+

Begin: Good start. Little ball of energy that looked comfortable in his first game. B+

Ward: Nice goal. I'm really trying not to harp on his skating but man it's painful. He's a plugger and showed it again tonight, but I don't see him moving up, and in fact see him in the press box when others come healthy. B

Sundstrom: Talk about someone about to lose their spot to a healthy player. He looks weak on the fourth line - like he doesn't belong. If he feels short-changed by his demotion, he has only his work ethic to blame. C-

Juneau: I love it when a defensive player barely gets noticed against the best the other team has to offer. Means he's doing his job. Another stellar defensive effort. A

Dackell: Not his best game, as he had a couple of defensive boo-boos, but nothing that cost, and he certainly hustled to try and make up for them. Works well with Bulis on the cycle. B

Bulis: He's in his element creating against the opponents' best line. All over the place, his speed and anticipation have him creating havoc constantly. A-

Ryder: A quieter game, though that probably has a lot to do with ice time. When you only play 12 or 13 minutes because Mario barely comes off the ice, you do the best you can. He did, and ground his way in corners and out front for three quality shots and a well-deserved assist. A-

Perreault: I'll give him points for saving Quintal's butt once, but his own gaffes were numerous and painful. He didn't have the space like he did last game and it showed. He was swallowed up by faster and stronger players. B-

Audette: Fast, slick, and generally useless. He's a one dimensional player who, admittedly, is trying to buy in defensively. B-

Hossa: Another improvement tonight. He's playing tougher on the puck and smarter away from it. I believe confidence is the word of the day here. B+

Ribeiro: Right places at the right time? Well, that's part of it, but the rest is him working his butt off to get there. He also levelled someone at the blueline. Yes, you read right, levelled. A+

Zednik: He's getting better and better. I'd keep him with Ribby when Koivu comes back and put Ryder and Hossa with the cap'n and see what happens. Perhaps some of the strongest legs in hockey and a centre of balance that's unmatched. Still, he doesn't have to hold on to the puck so long. A-

~~

I'm actually shocked that Garon didn't get the start tonight. He's overdue and we're only looking at wearing out Theo early on if we don't get him in there soon. Do you play Garon Saturday night? Absolutely not, it's an insult to Theo. The team indicated Garon would be getting 20-30 games. They're going to have to get him in there soon if they want to start making a dent in that number.

I was pleased to hear that Koivu is getting anxious to get in the game. Less so when I heard that, despite his saying he's ready and the doc's agreeing with it, he's still having some pain when he skates. Now, I know from experience that even when it's healed it can still hurt, but if it's carrying on, I'd rather he miss a game or two more rather than risk being out for an extremely long time with an aggrevated injury.

Our record is 3-1. Who'd a thunk it? Bring on the Leafs.

A concerned fan.

Man, I really enjoy your assessments of the games!!...You tell it like it is!!...Keep up the good work!!

Old
10-17-2003, 06:04 AM
Habs4ever

I'm not Surprised by the recent performance But!!

it has more to do with weak opposition then anything considering Capital started their backup with brutal Defence and Penguines have nobody other then Mario so though victory's are sweet it ain't any surprising to me now if they were to play like this consistently against good opposition after 30 games or so I'll feel much more confident but for now I just don't see any reason why I should get excited as we have defeated the teams we should have no trouble with other then Leaf's but leaf's might possibly be the rangers of this season with so much talent and no chemistry, I like CJ system very much but I like to see it work against good opposition .

Old
10-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Habnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz
Imo, the habs looked like they kept it in about second gear for the first two periods (especially the 2nd) and had a really good third. Oh course you won't hear complaints from me when we win by 3 goals, so...

I think all those Claude Julien bashers should start giving him some credit. I'm really starting to believe that head coach should now be considered a strong point of the habs (good choice AS).
I remember posting last year that finally the Habs had a professional coach, and Julien is proving it early this year. But do not underestimate the presence of Gainey. I get a sense that the players will listen because Gainey has instilled the fear of God in them. Many good coaches careers have been ruined because they do not have a strong GM to support the coach. (I thought Vigneault was also a good coach)

A good example are the Devils. It doesn't matter who coaches, the players fear Lamoriello and they know that Lou will banish all that do not follow the system on the ice and financially. That's what Gainey will bring to this organozation for a long time.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:12 AM
Habber

I don't think we should downplay our performance just because we were playing weaker teams. Beating weaker teams is how we're going to make the playoffs. We are not going to beat the strong teams on a consistent basis no matter what system we're playing. As long as we can keep playing this well against the crappy teams and keep getting the W's, we will only have to pull out a few wins against the big guns to make the playoffs.

Old
10-17-2003, 07:48 AM
mcphee

One thing that impressed me last night was a coaching decision. Hossa didn't hustle on a shoot in on a PP and found himself on the bench next PP. Ward hustled into the corner retrieved the puck, 4 passes later, scored the 3rd goal. You need a good puck retrieval guy if you shoot in and Hossa was sent an immediate message. Ward scoring didn't hurt either. Next shift, Hossa came up with a few loose pucks. I'm impressed by the in game adjustments they seem to make. it's not a big thing, but it's the little things that add up on a team.

Old
10-17-2003, 08:24 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs4ever
I just don't see any reason why I should get excited as we have defeated the teams we should have no trouble with ...
This is where I've seen the best improvement in our team. The last few years we would generally lose to teams we should have beaten(at least on paper). Let's face it we're not one of the elite teams in the league yet, despite what our record shows right now, but when 16 of 30 teams make it to the playoffs all we need to do, is be the best of the mediocre teams and we'll be in the playoffs. These games against the weaker teams are the most important because this is where we'll get, or should get, the majority of our points to make it to the playoffs.

If we can steal some points from the top teams in the league on a fairly consistent basis so much the better for our chances.

Old
10-17-2003, 09:42 AM
Highlander

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
One thing that impressed me last night was a coaching decision. Hossa didn't hustle on a shoot in on a PP and found himself on the bench next PP. Ward hustled into the corner retrieved the puck, 4 passes later, scored the 3rd goal. You need a good puck retrieval guy if you shoot in and Hossa was sent an immediate message. Ward scoring didn't hurt either. Next shift, Hossa came up with a few loose pucks. I'm impressed by the in game adjustments they seem to make. it's not a big thing, but it's the little things that add up on a team.
Bang on McPhee. This point and Habnot's point about Gainey's input with the players is helping to turn this team around, and play a team system.

Old
10-17-2003, 10:22 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee
Good call. Nice catch on this.

Old
10-17-2003, 12:36 PM
habsfan19

like they said on 110% last night, and what someone else said here,
we got 2 pts against a team we should be able to beat who played better than us, last year we lost all those games and missed the playoffs

so even though we did not out play the pens, we got the 2 pts, which is all that matters, wins get the confidence level up so hopefully we can keep the wins coming

I like the Hossa-Koivu-Ryder idea, someone posted that earlier, Ribs needs to stay with Zednik, they are playing very well together
Koivu would be able to make some nice plays with Ryder banging and crashing all over the place and Hossa has the talent to put the puck in the net, and then put Bulis with Ribs-Zednik, and we have ourselves 2 pretty good lines

Closed Thread