HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Oiler fans hate for canucks

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2011, 04:38 AM
sandhu111

vCash: 500
Oiler fans hate for canucks

i came across this video on facebook.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ca6Sj...e_gdata_player lol wow do oiler fans hate the canucks

Last edited by sandhu111: 06-12-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old
06-12-2011, 05:02 AM
Oilmageddon*
What are you hearing

In before lock.

Old
06-12-2011, 06:06 AM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
We don't hate the canuck fans we love them and to have them over for dinner. As the main course of course

Old
06-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Gone
Fire KLowe

It's not hate, it's the 10th commandment.

Old
06-12-2011, 06:39 AM
N O T O R I O U S
╱█¯█¯██¯█★█¯██¯█¯█╲

vCash: 0
I pray to god they lose to Boston.

Old
06-12-2011, 06:50 AM
11Owen
Thanks, Feaster

You guys wouldn't be happy just to have the Cup back in Canada? lol, I guess not.

Old
06-12-2011, 07:06 AM
darkwave09

vCash: 581
Most Canuck fans are just bandwagon fans, Trust me I to lived there for 8 years. When the team(s) are not doing so good they all harp on it,but when it starts doing good they all become hardcore loyal fans.They spring up like weeds!!!When I was there most of the locals did not even know if they should even keep the Sedin twins. I remember telling a guy I worked with that I would do almost anything to have the Sedin twins on the Oilers. That was just before Brian Burke admitted he was a lame duck GM. The Sedins were still very young back then. I have to admit I have never really been surprised to see them own the Oilers over the following years. Most of the fans did not want to go through the long process of a building a winning franchise from the ground up.All they cared about was the winner at the end.As a side note I would go Lions games and feel half the energy of an Eskimo game at commonwealth.

Old
06-12-2011, 07:34 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begbie View Post
You guys wouldn't be happy just to have the Cup back in Canada? lol, I guess not.
List of things I'd rather see than the Stanley Cup paraded around Vancouver:

1) Hitler resurrected from the dead.
2) My Cat sexually assaulted
3) Everybody Loves Raymond: The Complete Series on DVD
4) A Jon Waters Film Marathon with my Mother
5) My Great Grandmothers long lost sextape
6) The contents of Butterbeans diaper shorts

... You get the picture.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:01 AM
GatoradeG*

I am against all odds in this city and my identity will remain hidden.

GO CANUCKS GO

Old
06-12-2011, 09:09 AM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davalicious View Post
I am against all odds in this city and my identity will remain hidden.

GO CANUCKS GO
Give me a minute, I'm pinging this dude's IP....

Old
06-12-2011, 09:13 AM
Perfect_Drug

I'd lived in Vancouver for 8 years. I actually don't hate them like a lot of you guys do.

Really don't understand the rivalry.

There's plenty of teams I hate far worse than the Canucks.

I hope they win the cup.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:38 AM
Lux Aurumque*

There really is no Canucks-Oilers rivalry. I don't understand the hate-on for Vancouver in this city. I've been going to bars in St. Albert (Original Joe's and The Rink) throughout the playoffs, and I've been one of the very few people cheering on the Canucks. Meanwhile, you have all these people who cheer for whoever they're playing against due to some imaginary rivalry between Edmonton and Vancouver. It's kind of sad actually. More people cheered for the Flames in 04 than there are cheering for the Canucks.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:39 AM
KrazyCanuck19

Haha, just knowing that all of Alberta is hoping for the Canucks to fail like the Flames in 2004 and the Oilers in 2006 is going to make winning that much sweeter

Old
06-12-2011, 09:44 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian North View Post
There really is no Canucks-Oilers rivalry. I don't understand the hate-on for Vancouver in this city. I've been going to bars in St. Albert (Original Joe's and The Rink) throughout the playoffs, and I've been one of the very few people cheering on the Canucks. Meanwhile, you have all these people who cheer for whoever they're playing against due to some imaginary rivalry between Edmonton and Vancouver. It's kind of sad actually. More people cheered for the Flames in 04 than there are cheering for the Canucks.
Yeah, certainly disagree with this statement. All divisional rivalries have a certain undercurrent of a rivalry to them, and anyone who has been to Canuck games at Rexall within the last 5 years will undoubtedly feel even stronger about it.

However, it should be stressed that there is no right or wrong team to cheer for under any circumstance. Whether you want Vancouver to win or lose, it's all a personal decision, and one that really doesn't have to be justified one way or another.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:49 AM
Perfect_Drug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCanuck19 View Post
Haha, just knowing that all of Alberta is hoping for the Canucks to fail like the Flames in 2004 and the Oilers in 2006 is going to make winning that much sweeter
I was living in Vancouver at the time, and I swear the city was cheering for Calgary to win it all.

It was a different economic circumstance though. It was more like Small Market 'David' vs the Big Market 'Goliath'.

If Calgary won the cup, it would've felt like giving a big middle finger to Bettman, and all those southern teams that won the cup that really don't care about hockey. (Dallas/Tampa).

WE can look back at it now seething with hate, but in a strange way, Calgary wasn't just trying to win the cup for Calgary. They were playing for all the UFA's we lost. They were playing for the fact we couldnt keep the dynasty together to win another 5 cups, or even our core of Weight, Guerin, Cujo, Hamrlik, Comrie, Marchant due to economics.

The city of Vancouver was cheering for them, because their entire roster's salary didn't even come close to matching the 1st forward line of Colorado (not including Deadmarsh, Blake, and Roy on the back end).

Despite what revisionist history might say, most of Canada was cheering for both Edmonton and Calgary mainly because we had the deck stacked against us for so many years.

Old
06-12-2011, 10:50 AM
I am the Liquor

What is there to like about Vancouver?

Any gdt against the Canucks is always chock full of trolls, regardless of the outcome.

Their players are hair pulling, diving biters.

Their goalie blames his teammates for his poor performances.

Besides all that, they are the favourite, and everyone loves a good underdog.

Old
06-12-2011, 10:52 AM
I am the Liquor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post
I was living in Vancouver at the time, and I swear the city was cheering for Calgary to win it all.

It was a different economic circumstance though. It was more like Small Market 'David' vs the Big Market 'Goliath'.

If Calgary won the cup, it would've felt like giving a big middle finger to Bettman, and all those southern teams that won the cup that really don't care about hockey. (Dallas/Tampa).

WE can look back at it now seething with hate, but in a strange way, Calgary wasn't just trying to win the cup for Calgary. They were playing for all the UFA's we lost. They were playing for the fact we couldnt keep the dynasty together to win another 5 cups, or even our core of Weight, Guerin, Cujo, Hamrlik, Comrie, Marchant due to economics.

The city of Vancouver was cheering for them, because their entire roster's salary didn't even come close to matching the 1st forward line of Colorado (not including Deadmarsh, Blake, and Roy on the back end).

Despite what revisionist history might say, most of Canada was cheering for both Edmonton and Calgary mainly because we had the deck stacked against us for so many years.
Maybe in 2006, but back in the dynasty days, the Oilers were universally hated.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:09 AM
czar99

vCash: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrazyCanuck19 View Post
This is why I will puke in my mouth if the canucks win.

I just went on a med retreat last weekend and watched forty people cheer for the canucks over the Bruins all the while I remember being in calgary watching a handful of them cheer for the flames just 2 years ago.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:10 AM
Oilerdiehard

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
What is there to like about Vancouver?

Any gdt against the Canucks is always chock full of trolls, regardless of the outcome.

Their players are hair pulling, diving biters.

Their goalie blames his teammates for his poor performances.

Besides all that, they are the favourite, and everyone loves a good underdog.
Yes it does seem to be a rare combination of universally hated players with a laundry list of examples as to why. Along with what many consider in general to possibly be the most obnoxious fan base in the league.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:20 AM
Oi'll say!

I think that video has as much to do with a love of alcohol as hatred for Canucks.

In b4 the lock.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:26 AM
nabob
Hall for captain

Quote:
Not if it is won by cowardly players who do not represent Canadians.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:44 AM
OFD
Metal Thrasing Mad

Quote:
Not if it's won by the B.C provincial diving team.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
DisgruntledGoat

Its not an Edmonton thing, its an everywhere thing.

The only people cheering for the Canucks are Vancouver fans and casual hockey fans who think 'Cup in Canada = Good'. Everyone else recognizes the Canucks for what they are; the most unlikable group of divers, whiners, chirpers, hair-pullers, and finger-biters assembled in a long, long time.

I don't know how anyone can watch series-after-series of Luongo alternating between hiding in the dressing room after a bad game, and talking smack after a good one; Bieksa picking his spots in fights and then talking tough to the media; Gillis whining and crying to the media; and the usual sideshows from Lapierre, Burrows and Kesler and still cheer for that team.

I would go so far as to suggest that, if they win this series, they will be the most universally hated Stanley Cup champions since the Broad Street Bullies.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Burnt Biscuits

Quote:
That is a privilege and one that should be reserved for us.

Old
06-12-2011, 12:06 PM
Nazzy-19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfect_Drug View Post

As a Canuck fan, I was cheering against both Calgary and Edmonton during their runs, but what you described is the real reason for teh whole "Canada's team" phenomenon. It goes beyond geographic location.

It stems more from the pre-lockout environment. Canada had lost 2 teams to the US, other teams had been in financial difficulty and under threat of moving, no Canadian team, except Toronto, could financially compete with a lot of the US teams. This is why that Calgary team full of grinders was able to capture the hearts of so many Canadians.

Edmonton also benefited from these factors, being that they made their run the first year after the lockout and as an 8 seed. However, when Ottawa made the finals the year after, making it the 3rd straight season with a Canadian team in the finals, I think people started to realize that the lock-out had brought a new environment and "Canada's team" started to die down.

Sure, some casual fans still get on it, but I think that any serious fans that might have joined it in the past realize that pretty much any team can compete, and want their team to be the next Canadian team to win (for bragging rights of course).

Closed Thread