HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Chara spears Lapierre?

Old
06-12-2011, 09:56 AM
Soth

vCash: 500
Chara has been slashing people a ton throughout this series. Im sure when that giant slashes it doesnt feel good. I'm pretty sure max is embellishing, but hopefully it served its purpose and got the refs watching chara a little closer. Chara stopped slashing as much perhaps for that game.

I know a lot of people around here hate the nucks because of a few rotten-apple fans we have. Makes me not want to venture out of our own forums cuz all i ever see posted about my team is drivel.

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:01 AM
BritishBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
Chara has been slashing people a ton throughout this series. Im sure when that giant slashes it doesnt feel good.
You can't put it all on Chara, every time he and Kesler are battling in front of the net it's open season - and I'm fine with that. Two great, tough players giving each other their best shot. It's the same with Seidenberg and Kesler, so you can't just label Zdeno 'Chief Instigator'.

BritishBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:04 AM
Soth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseSeguin View Post
so you can't just label Zdeno 'Chief Instigator'.
I'm not. This is the cup finals - every player will do everything they can get away with - that includes spearing and embellishing. I've seen spears on both sides, and embellishments too. I expect Big Z's slashes hurt more than most though I was only commenting though on the thread title 'chara spears lapierre'

Soth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:07 AM
BritishBruin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soth View Post
I expect Big Z's slashes hurt more than most though
Most definately, although Ballard might give him a run for his money

BritishBruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:09 AM
therealkoho
Gary says it's A-OK

first off I really don't care who wins the series as I am not a fan of either team and after watching the display of immaturity from both teams and the impotence of the officiating staff to put a stop to it, this is my take.

Once play is whistled dead and specifically whistled dead at a count of at least 3 steam-boats, why is Chara allowed to touch any opposing player with a stick?

Chara who as we all know is 6'9" and 270 and can probably bench somewhere close to his weight or above is a lot stronger than you or I. That area of the rib cage is unprotected and highly sensitive, just take your finger and press it into your buddy's ribcage in that general area, the reaction is pretty instantaneous mostly because it's somewhat akin to the funny bone thing in that it doesn't require a whole lot of pressure to have an effect. Now do it with the toe of a hockey stick using both arms.

This after the whistle stuff is BS plain and simple, when there wasn't any such thing as a instigator penalty there was very little of this nonsense in the league and if there was the come-uppance was swift and nasty.

There is however an instigator call and this stuff after the whistle is an instigation of more shennanigans that takes away from the quality of the game. Paul Maurice tagged it right a few years ago and called it "purse swinging", maybe it's time that the NHL took control of its game and got rid of this crap. I know one way, either call this stuff or get rid of that penalty and let the players put an end to it.

Last edited by therealkoho: 06-12-2011 at 10:17 AM.
therealkoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:11 AM
Renbarg

That was a little tap to Lapierre's stomach area, far different then a stabbing or jabbing like action required in a spear.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:13 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScouseSeguin View Post
But I don't think the word 'damage' applies in this case. You'd be right in most cases, but the fact that Zdeno used very little force towards Lapierre means that in this incident the spear is less severe of an issue. Burrows left a mark, Chara didn't, therefore there was less damage done to Lapierre.

Thomas speared someone in front of the net a few games ago, and Sedin speared/hooked Ference in the nuts during Game 2 - both of which definitely hurt more than Chara's, for two reasons.
1) Timmy put real force into his.
2) On the pain-o-meter, Nuts > Hip
No he didn't. He used the leading edge of his shaft, not the leading edge of the blade. And btw, slash =/= spear. And while damage doesn't necessarily apply in this case, it does in general and in past instances, which is precisely why the rule book is particularly strict on spears specifically. It is what it is, and takes effort and prejudice to argue the reverse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
So no damage has ever been done by a gun on the ice, but does that mean there wouldnt be serious consequences if it ever happened?

Your logic that it is more severe because of the "history behind spearing" makes no sense whatsoever. The spearing penalty was meant for crap like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z11T8rtljLA

Dont you see a difference between what Chara did and what Blake did?
You bring up gun use on the ice, and talk to me about logic?! lollerskates. It's not JUST about past incidents, it's about potential damage as evidenced by past incidents. Of course I see a "difference", but according to the league, there is so little room for grey area and interpretation with regards to tolerance for spearing that it's specifically written in that contact doesn't even have to happen in order to warrant a double minor. If that isn't telling enough for you guys (and let's be honest, no one is saying suspend Chara for 10 games for what he did, so everyone has to stop playing like that's what they're fighting against here), then I don't know what to say, and expect I won't try too hard to find anything else to add. When you hit an ignorance wall as big as this is getting, sometimes it's best to walk around instead of trying to break through.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Aquiace
The Goggles!

More like telephone-poled him

Aquiace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:28 AM
kingshmegland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquiace View Post
More like telephone-poled him

Remember the big brute Bugs Bunny struck out using a lag log as a bat?

Even a B's fan like me can have a good laugh at this.

kingshmegland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:34 AM
pep strebek

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps527 View Post
That was a little tap to Lapierre's stomach area, far different then a stabbing or jabbing like action required in a spear.
Actually, watch the clip again, about 27 seconds in. The stick only touches the inside of Lapierre's elbow. That doesn't excuse Chara but it makes the embellishment all the more embarrassing. Still, this looks more like a slash to me and not a "jab". They should have gotten matching minors. and that would have been the end of it.

pep strebek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:37 AM
jonnydraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by pep strebek View Post
Actually, watch the clip again, about 27 seconds in. The stick only touches the inside of Lapierre's elbow. That doesn't excuse Chara but it makes the embellishment all the more embarrassing. Still, this looks more like a slash to me and not a "jab". They should have gotten matching minors. and that would have been the end of it.
Or it could have been left the way it was, and that would be the end of it. Oh wait, it is over and the only people that give a f@ck are the "class" police of HFboards.

Who gives a *****, seriously.

jonnydraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:40 AM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

I'm rooting for the Canucks, but Lappy is a diving POS (Who is also a really good hockey player, at times).

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:45 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnydraft View Post
Or it could have been left the way it was, and that would be the end of it. Oh wait, it is over and the only people that give a f@ck are the "class" police of HFboards.

Who gives a *****, seriously.
I usually agree with letting offsetting issues go uncalled, but when you have anything resembling a spear resulting in any kind of embellishment that might embarrass a referee, I think offsetting minors have to be assessed (call it a slash instead, claiming it was had to tell, or whatever, and give Laps the unsportsmanlike). The league doesn't want any kind of spearing motion ever, and they are certainly up in arms these days about embellished reactions, so those are lines I wouldn't mind them drawing in the sand a little more clearly whenever they get the chance. If any referee finds himself in the position of having to make that call next game, it'll just look like a reactionary call to what happened in a previous game instead of being something all officials are somewhat consistent about. If it was just something like roughing, slashing, or whatever, it'd be different as those calls/non-calls typically aren't compared/contrasted from game to game, week to week, etc.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:48 AM
jonnydraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohashi_Jouzu View Post
I usually agree with letting offsetting issues go uncalled, but when you have anything resembling a spear resulting in any kind of embellishment that might embarrass a referee, I think offsetting minors have to be assessed (call it a slash instead, claiming it was had to tell, or whatever, and give Laps the unsportsmanlike). The league doesn't want any kind of spearing motion ever, and they are certainly up in arms these days about embellished reactions, so those are lines I wouldn't mind them drawing in the sand a little more clearly whenever they get the chance.
In this case, the refs got it right and the matter should be done. In fact, by calling offsetting minors the refs would have rewarded the alleged "diver" Laps. Consider this, offsetting minors are called, Chara and Laps are off for two minutes and the game is played 4 on 4. Who benefits? Boston? Doubt it...

The non-call was fine. The game was not impacted in any way, and the only people bothered by the "incident" are those on HFboards who see it as their life long mission to preach about the supposed integrity of the game.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:25 AM
Peter Puck

Quote:
In this case, the refs got it right and the matter should be done. In fact, by calling offsetting minors the refs would have rewarded the alleged "diver" Laps. Consider this, offsetting minors are called, Chara and Laps are off for two minutes and the game is played 4 on 4. Who benefits? Boston? Doubt it...

The non-call was fine. The game was not impacted in any way, and the only people bothered by the "incident" are those on HFboards who see it as their life long mission to preach about the supposed integrity of the game.
No the refs got it wrong. Off-setting minors was the correct call. It is crystal clear that Chara hit him with his stick long after the whistle and it looks like Lapierre embellished. Both are clear penalties. By ignoring them the refs rewarded Chara, the guy who started the incident and committed the more severe infraction (according to the rules). Furthermore, if they would give out some penalties then the Bruins would stop taking cheap shots after the whistle and the Canucks would stop diving (and the Canucks wouldn't take late cheap shots and the Bruins wouldn't dive).

Peter Puck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:32 AM
TheJay

Clearly an embellishment. However, the attempt to spear an opponent even if it missed or made light contact should NOT be allowed, especially by a player like Chara. He should playing the game at the highest level during these Stanley Cups finals and stop trying to take the heads off his opponents.

I'm happy Lapierre survived the incident and was able to score that... game winning goal in the 3rd period... and should be available next game... to maybe score another?

TheJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:34 AM
TimmyVezina

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
Do I understand you believe chara did not stab his stick blade at Lapierre's body?
"stab" lol

Talk about being over dramatic!

stab? lol

TimmyVezina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:35 AM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
If this were so, why was Laps allegedly embellishing? According to your reasoning, no such embellishment occurred, as earlier in the game Burrows and Lucic were sent off in a somewhat similar situation. Of course, it did occur, therefor destroying the basis of your argument.
Because he did just that, exaggerating the spear/jab/poke or whatever it was.

If there had been nothing there it would have been an outright dive.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:40 AM
The Expert
Registered Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
boston fans on the other and will say "Lapierre is a little ***** who embellished (optional: "he should have got a diving penalty)."
Not just Boston fans, anyone with common sense.

The Expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:49 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Expert View Post
Not just Boston fans, anyone with common sense.
Common sense would tell one to look at the rule book. Few if any Boston fans seem to be leaning in that direction, therefore your comment does not compute.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:51 AM
jonnydraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosbyfan View Post
Because he did just that, exaggerating the spear/jab/poke or whatever it was.

If there had been nothing there it would have been an outright dive.
Maybe you should read the conversation before taking a small quote entirely out of context.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:54 AM
Do Make Say Think
Soul & Onward

Lapierre is a pansy.

It would be a great disservice to the sport if such a player would get his name on the cup.

Do Make Say Think is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 11:56 AM
theranfordflop

C'mon... It's amazing there's even a debate. This is a soccer-level embellishment.

This is the Canucks. That's what they do. Make a mockery of the game. They'll be the most embarrassing, disrespectful team to win the cup in a long, long time.

theranfordflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by theranfordflop View Post
C'mon... It's amazing there's even a debate. This is a soccer-level embellishment.

This is the Canucks. That's what they do. Make a mockery of the game. They'll be the most embarrassing, disrespectful team to win the cup in a long, long time.
I agree with the bolded statement only. How is there even a debate when you clearly see a spear by Chara?

I definitely see an embellishment, but that doesn't mean Chara didn't put his stick to the chest of Lapierre.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:01 PM
jayze25*

+1 Soccer level embellishment

BUT, the intention was there, Chara did spear, not hard...this time.

But there's nothing to make a debat

jayze25* is offline   Reply With Quote