HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Rumor/Speculation Brock Trotter signed with habs

Old
06-12-2011, 12:44 PM
DJ Breadman

vCash: 500
Rumor/Speculation Brock Trotter signed with habs

http://thereuschblog.com/?p=8593

Mod Edit:
Quote:
According to the Moscow newspaper Sovietsky Sport, forward Brock Trotter is rejoining the Canadiens after a year in the Kontinental Hockey League.

Trotter signed a one year contract with the KHL”s Dynamo Riga last July after leading the 2009-2010 Hamilton Bulldogs with 36 goals. He also had 41 assists to finish one point behind David Desharnais for the team scoring lead. Trotter, a Brandon Manitoba native, added 19 points in 19 games during the 2010 Calder Cup playoffs.

Trotter was originally signed by the Canadiens as a free agent after he was suspended by the University of Denver in February of 2008. He played in two games in February of 2010 with the Canadiens without scoring.

As a restricted free-agent last summer, Trotter signed a one year contract with the Latvian team for a reported 250-thousand dollars in July. In his final year with the Bulldogs he earned 65 thousand dollars. At the time of his departure Trotter was considered one of the Canadiens prime prospects, He was noted for his goalscoring ability and his physical presence in the offensive zone. The drawback was the defensive side of his game and, at 5’10″ and 180 pounds, his size, areas on which he presumably worked in Latvia.

With Riga Dynamo he scored 9 goals and 17 assists in 49 games with a plus-3 rating. During Riga’s eleven game playoff run he was the team’s second highest scorer with 4 goals and 5 assists.

NOTE - Because of injuries, on February 6th, 2010, Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey was forced to call up Hamilton’s entire top line of Trotter, David Desharnais and Ryan White. The trio played two home games, February 6th a 5-3 win over Pittsburgh and a 3-0 loss to Boston on February 7th. The callups were Gainey’s final act in his role of Canadiens GM. He resigned February 8th, handing the team over to Pierre Gauthier.

Last edited by habsprospects: 06-12-2011 at 07:40 PM.
DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Is it a reliable source?

EDIT: NVM, just read the whole article.

Last edited by Fel 96: 06-12-2011 at 12:59 PM.
Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:55 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

don't mean to sound naive but, why the heck would a seasoned vet like Ron Reusch put out a story he didn't believe to be true?

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hope it's true...

Trotter should be able to compete for a spot and push some of the mid-line guys to be better.

Boris Le Tigre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:03 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

So he didnt liked his experience in the KHL and prefer to play in Hamilton? Because there is no room for him with the big club. Especially if he can't play wing.

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:03 PM
TheHabMan43
You'd Better RUN!

Is the link not working for anybody else?

TheHabMan43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
So he didnt liked his experience in the KHL and prefer to play in Hamilton? Because there is no room for him with the big club. Especially if he can't play wing.
i thought he was a wing.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Oh something is telling me he is MUCH closer to a roster spot thn some would be led to believe.

Trotter may have been the most useful of the group that just graduated, and was Guy Boucher's wet dream when he was coaching him.

He CAN play wing. IMO he should get a REALLY long look this oct. If this is true.

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:07 PM
Richiebottles
Big Mike !

Could he replace Halpern ?

Richiebottles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:11 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Could he replace Halpern ?
Not even close. Trotter is not even near Halpern in terms of defensive responsibility. Trotter is another example of players we absolutely can't afford to fill our roster with anymore. He's not small, but he's not big either. Has always seemed weak to me and his defensive game has always been lacking. Unless the KHL has turned him into a world beater, he's Hamilton bound.

"overlords is one of my favorite people on this entire site." - Hfboards
overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Tusk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Yes.

Tusk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:12 PM
Rgolt

This would be great news
unfortunately im not quite optimistic about the truth of the article

Rgolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:14 PM
mtl_felix

Link is not working for me. If someone could quote the article, it would be great.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:15 PM
7th Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tusk View Post
Yes.
Same here, link not working.

7th Player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:15 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Article was working before, and a small part of it is still visible on sportsnight360.com

Old
06-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl_felix View Post
Link is not working for me. If someone could quote the article, it would be great.
The link is working here so there you go:

Quote:
According to the Moscow newspaper Sovietsky Sport, forward Brock Trotter is rejoining the Canadiens after a year in the Kontinental Hockey League.

Trotter signed a one year contract with the KHL”s Dynamo Riga last July after leading the 2009-2010 Hamilton Bulldogs with 36 goals. He also had 41 assists to finish one point behind David Desharnais for the team scoring lead. Trotter, a Brandon Manitoba native, added 19 points in 19 games during the 2010 Calder Cup playoffs.

Trotter was originally signed by the Canadiens as a free agent after he was suspended by the University of Denver in February of 2008. He played in two games in February of 2010 with the Canadiens without scoring.

As a restricted free-agent last summer, Trotter signed a one year contract with the Latvian team for a reported 250-thousand dollars in July. In his final year with the Bulldogs he earned 65 thousand dollars. At the time of his departure Trotter was considered one of the Canadiens prime prospects, He was noted for his goalscoring ability and his physical presence in the offensive zone. The drawback was the defensive side of his game and, at 5’10″ and 180 pounds, his size, areas on which he presumably worked in Latvia.

With Riga Dynamo he scored 9 goals and 17 assists in 49 games with a plus-3 rating. During Riga’s eleven game playoff run he was the team’s second highest scorer with 4 goals and 5 assists.

NOTE - Because of injuries, on February 6th, 2010, Canadiens general manager Bob Gainey was forced to call up Hamilton’s entire top line of Trotter, David Desharnais and Ryan White. The trio played two home games, February 6th a 5-3 win over Pittsburgh and a 3-0 loss to Boston on February 7th. The callups were Gainey’s final act in his role of Canadiens GM. He resigned February 8th, handing the team over to Pierre Gauthier.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:21 PM
habsprospects
Irresponsible User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
This site was already dead late last night when I tried to access it.

habsprospects is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:21 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Not even close. Trotter is not even near Halpern in terms of defensive responsibility. Trotter is another example of players we absolutely can't afford to fill our roster with anymore. He's not small, but he's not big either. Has always seemed weak to me and his defensive game has always been lacking. Unless the KHL has turned him into a world beater, he's Hamilton bound.
Wow, is he really that bad defensively? And be honest, did you watch a lot of his games in Hamilton or this past year in the KHL? I've "heard" that he's not the best defensively, but i doubt anybody on here actually has first hand accounts of his ineptitude.

People seem to think that if you're not a defensive minded forward, you can't play for Martin. That's not really it. Martin is all about hard work and fighting for pucks in the neutral zone. Defensive awareness is something most forwards learn over time with NHL experience. If Trotter has good work ethic and realizes that he has to work extra hard to get a spot on a checking line (see Desharnais) than he has a chance.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:24 PM
overlords
Global Moderator
Jack Arse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Wow, is he really that bad defensively? And be honest, did you watch a lot of his games in Hamilton or this past year in the KHL? I've "heard" that he's not the best defensively, but i doubt anybody on here actually has first hand accounts of his ineptitude.

People seem to think that if you're not a defensive minded forward, you can't play for Martin. That's not really it. Martin is all about hard work and fighting for pucks in the neutral zone. Defensive awareness is something most forwards learn over time with NHL experience. If Trotter has good work ethic and realizes that he has to work extra hard to get a spot on a checking line (see Desharnais) than he has a chance.
He's pretty bad defensively, and yes when he was still with hamilton I was still catching quite a few games. Has nothing to do with him not being a 'defensive minded forward'. To get away with lackluster defensive play, he'd need to have offensive or physical talents of a kostitsyn or whatever. He doesn't. Might be Corey Locke 2.0 imo. Maybe he gets to the NHL in a darche sort of role.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:24 PM
mtl_felix

Thanks Fel.

mtl_felix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:26 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post

The thing is, to make the team he'd have to beat out Pouliot for the role of bottom six scorer. I sincerely doubt he's better than Pouliot.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Stephaaane

If he signed with MTL, it will be him or Pouliot on Desharnais wing. Trotter, Pouliot are not enough good to be in a steady top 6 and they both are ''ordinaire'' in the defensive zone. If you go with Trotter, it will cost you approx. 700 000$ less and will contribute well alongside Desharnais and White/Darche.

edit: well, Talks to Goalposts sees it like me, Talentwise, Pouliot his better but cost more

Stephaaane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:39 PM
TheBuriedHab

Good, he will be needed in hamilton this year with Boyd and Dawes going to the khl.

TheBuriedHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:40 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
The thing is, to make the team he'd have to beat out Pouliot for the role of bottom six scorer. I sincerely doubt he's better than Pouliot.
to me, it's really about who wants to work harder, who wants to listen to the coaches more, who wants to do whatever it takes to help the team. Neither of these players come across as those types of players, but maybe one of will wake up this fall and realize that if he wants a steady job in this league, he's going to have work his tail off to do it. That's why i love the Darche signing, because there's a guy who just gets it. Pouliot seemed like he had figured it out at the beginning of the year, but i think as the season progressed he started to fashion himself a top 6 forward again, and he lost his game completely.

Ideally, you want fill up your bottom 6 with players who first and foremost understand their role on the team. Ryan White is a perfect example. So is Moen and Darche. Pyatt does too, but i'm pretty sure we can find better than him. You want guys who can put the puck in the net, but understand that their primary role is to check the opposing team hard and put in as many quality shifts as possible. If Trotter is like everyone says, well then he doesn't really fit into that category, and i'd argue neither does Pouliot. But if one of them has a training camp where they display those kind of traits, i don't see why either them don't stand a shot.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:46 PM
FiveForDrawingBlood

Trotter was once one of Guy Boucher's favorites one year, he had a good playoff for Riga also. Maybe a trade in order? Might be able to get more than we think for him. We have similar players in Desharnais. Can see Totter making the team.

FiveForDrawingBlood is offline   Reply With Quote