HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Nashville Predators: Franchise Analysis

Old
06-12-2011, 12:41 PM
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD

vCash: 500
June 15th is coming up, Buyout day. Will it just be Dumont or will Lombardi be included with the buyouts?

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:02 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigFatCat999 View Post
June 15th is coming up, Buyout day. Will it just be Dumont or will Lombardi be included with the buyouts?
Real question is will anyone get bought out? I've been the champion of the idea of buying out JP, but Poile sounded too respectful in his end of year press conference. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I'd hate for Dumont to be on the roster come October...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:33 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Real question is will anyone get bought out? I've been the champion of the idea of buying out JP, but Poile sounded too respectful in his end of year press conference. It'll be interesting to see what happens.

I agree, if Dumont was smart he would understand this team has a new image and hes not in it. And he should understand he isn worth 4.5 mil, he didnt even get 20 points last year. If hes on this team itll turn in to the kinda hatred I had for Greg Devries.

I loved dumont and what he did for us, hes just done

I Will Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

If we keep Dumont another year without trading him and/or buying him out, it is worthy of looking long and hard at replacing David Poile as a GM. I love David Poile, and I fear that many will take my comments as negativity towards him. My point is simply this: Dumont being on this team is a colossal blunder. It was a huge mistake in keeping him last year. It would be a slap in the face to this franchise and its fans to keep on a bench warmer at 4.25 million on his final year of his contract. He provides nothing to this team. It is time for him to waive and be traded or bought out. There are no alternatives IMO.

06-12-2011, 02:02 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
If we keep Dumont another year without trading him and/or buying him out, it is worthy of looking long and hard at replacing David Poile as a GM. I love David Poile, and I fear that many will take my comments as negativity towards him. My point is simply this: Dumont being on this team is a colossal blunder. It was a huge mistake in keeping him last year. It would be a slap in the face to this franchise and its fans to keep on a bench warmer at 4.25 million on his final year of his contract. He provides nothing to this team. It is time for him to waive and be traded or bought out. There are no alternatives IMO.

well said

Old
06-12-2011, 04:09 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

maybe poile has intention of maybe trading to a place like florida...

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:21 PM
I Will Son
An Army of One

Idk who would take a 4.5 mil dumont.

Old
06-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
maybe poile has intention of maybe trading to a place like florida...
As long as he is not on this team at the start of training camp. If he is, well, I am not sure what to say. Even as I am saying this, I truly wish Dumont would refind game that made him one of the most creative offensive players we have had in Nashville, but truly, I do not think it is going to happen here. He is too much of a liability defensively to be trusted, and due to his streaky nature as a scorer, the most likely bet is that he would start the season cold, be relegated to the fourth line (if he ever wasn't on it), and rarely if ever sniff the ice.

We are at a point as a team that we can't waste 4.5 million on a bench player playing a bit role for our team. Poile knows this. I hope he doesn't let a perceived sense of loyalty cloud his judgement for an additional year.

Enoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 06:57 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

I agree with Poile needing to look beyond loyalty to one player in this situation. His loyalty needs to be to the organization as a whole. I would expect him to discuss any buyout with Dumont first, and then give him the option of being involved in a trade so that he won't lose money. Looking into a trade if Dumont so desires or offering him a position within the organization after the buy out... that is essentially where any loyalty to Dumont should end. That's more than generous, and Dumont is smart enough to understand that right now he is hindering the progression of this team. If even us fans know that, in order to get back, Dumont has to go and he is still on the roster next season Poile's ability to make the hard decision is going to come under heavy fire. I love JP, but his time here should have been done a long time ago.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:29 PM
PredsV82
No

vCash: 130
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post

Its not disrespectful to buy him out. In fact its the opposite. It allows JP to get his money and still find a place where he can play. Nobody is going to trade for JP at 4mil but someone will sign him for a million as a UFA. A buyout is a win win.

PredsV82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
glenngineer
HFB Partner

While it may seem JP is not a fit on the ice for the Preds, his professional attitude in the locker room may be what's keeping him here. It shows the young guys no ice time is guaranteed but if you do get benched, this is how you handle it. Maybe it rubs off on Wilson as to how to be a professional. While that's an expensive lesson with a limited budget, is it worth $4 million this year to keep teaching Wilson and the youngsters how to handle themselves for the next 10 years? I'm not agreeing or disagreeing with anyone on this, just presenting an angle that might be looked at.

I also think Poile has explored options with other teams and since JP has a NMC or NTC, I forget which one, and JP and his family have a love for Nashville, he may not want to be moved or the teams that want him he is not fond of their city.

Who knows, maybe he has one last gasp in him if paired with the right linemates. You never know.

glenngineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 09:35 PM
TMI
Mod Supervisor

When you are on a limited budget and your window is open you can't spend $4mil+ on a guy just because he might rub off on a young player. If Wilson needs Dumont's career flame out to show him the way then I think we have bigger problems with Wilson than anyone realizes. At the end of the day a player who has absolutely no ability to motivate himself is useless in this league, so I have to say that paying Dumont for anything short of production on the ice isn't worth it.

And I'm pretty sure Dumont has the full NMC. I haven't looked lately, but that's what comes to mind when I think about it.

TMI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 10:31 PM
Webersmashpuck

I don't see how a buyout of JP helps us right now. If he is bought out we really only save a million and still need to replace a roster spot. I wish we could get rid of Dumont but with the NMC we really can't afford to let him go and find a replacement. I expect to see JP as the 13th forward again next year.

Webersmashpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:11 AM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Will Son View Post
Idk who would take a 4.5 mil dumont.
florida has 30 million bucks to meet the cap floor. with their team, they could plug jp for a year down there on their 1st or 2nd line and let him mentor some kids.

although every team will be looking to move a bad contract to florida, so more than likely a pick or prospect has to be saddled with him.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:23 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

I just got done doing a scan of the HF analysis done in March. This is my kind of team. Great drafting and building from within. It appears that any of the the top-5 prospects could be #1 on most teams.

Reminds me of the Braves.

AtlantaWhaler is offline   Reply With Quote