HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs Brass have POOR memories

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
  #51
Talks to Goalposts
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,478
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarlemsFinest View Post
cap going up is an illusion. it's just inflation. it goes up and up, but everyone's new contracts just go up by at least the same percentage. it doesn't actually give you room to sign new people. other than your average scrubs.
New contracts go up but your old ones get devalued. Thus space opens up every year for teams that locked up a bunch of players long term like the habs have with their top4 forwards.

Also team revenue is rising unevenly and biased towards the top teams. Thus the wealthiest teams like Montreal gain a competitive advantage as the rising cap forces more teams to be unable to spend to the cap. For the first time ever the Habs will have the benefits of being a wealthy franchise in a free agency enviroment. They were poor during the 93-04 era and in the years right after the lockout the cap was to low to exploit their comparative wealth.

Talks to Goalposts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:00 PM
  #52
JackZap
Registered User
 
JackZap's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 4,069
vCash: 500
if by some miracle they can get rid of Spacek

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:13 PM
  #53
md3k*
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Edmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 172
vCash: 500
I think people undervalue Hamrlik and Spacek. Hamrlik has stepped up in a big way when Markov gets injured and plays line 1 minutes. Him and Spacek might be old but they are very solid defensemen. I don't think Wiz has the defensive side that these 2 have.

md3k* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:31 PM
  #54
Patccmoi
Registered User
 
Patccmoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 992
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Poutine View Post
Meanwhile some guys are laughing at us..

Imagine how Boston feels about that pic right now...

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:32 PM
  #55
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
yah, nominal space opens up. once in a while, cap going up lets you go get a 6 million dollar player. but it's rare and you have to have some space banked already. in a typical situation, you can afford to sign a 2 million dollar player with whatever room you get with cap going up.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:35 PM
  #56
2112
Registered User
 
2112's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,868
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to 2112
Price needs a contract next year.

2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
  #57
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Not that I disagree with you, because I don't, but I was wondering if I could get a copy of your spreadsheets?
PM me your email.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No, because he's lying. If you wait long enough, he'll run and copy something and call it his own, so hang tight.
What the hell are you talking about? Every year, I take the same excel spreadsheet I've been using to calculate the cap ever since the new CBA, it's a really easy thing to do, y'know, don't need to copy that from anyone. Here, I'll baby-step you through it:

- You open an excel file
- You create collumns for your players and every season (players, position, season 10-11, 11-12, 12-13 and so forth), you keep the first line to write down those collumn titles (quicker to change than renaming the collumn)
- You write down the player names in the first collumn, their position in the second collumn
- You write down salaries in the appropriate season collumns
- At about line 30, in the first season collumn you write =SUM(C2:C29) and then copy paste that in every collumn (boxes) of that single line
- You can then add text/box color schemes to UFAs, RFAs, potential signings, black list players, core players and such.
- You can also go to the properties of the season collumns and change the box property to $, so whatever number you put is formated to 1,000,000,00$


Last edited by Ozymandias: 06-12-2011 at 02:48 PM.
Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:38 PM
  #58
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
i was saying more get rid of spacek because that would be an improvement. people undervalue hamr, yes. (he still won't be back, but i appreciate his services and aknowledge how he was a big part of saving our seasons), spacek....no. he hasn't done a single thing in 2 years that was worth mentioning. he played alright, sometimes. but it's not worth it.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
  #59
habfan1968
Registered User
 
habfan1968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,115
vCash: 50
Sign Wiz, Markov

Not sure why some would say we can't have both, we can and should. Wiz finished 5th in D scoring. Markov, healthy is a lock for top 10 in D scoring. Pk finished 30th in D scoring, depending on the overall role i can see him besting that in the upcoming season. These three give us a scoring threat from the defense at all times in a game, just keep them on different pairings. Markov Gorges, PK Gill and Wiz Yemelin, Spacek gets spot duty and steps in for injuries. Weber gets the swing man role and plays on the wing of the fourth line. As other posters(ozzy) have pointed out, Wiz would be getting Hammers money so it fits. We still have money for an upgrade somewhere if we have to have it.

habfan1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:43 PM
  #60
jlgib21*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan1968 View Post
Not sure why some would say we can't have both, we can and should. Wiz finished 5th in D scoring. Markov, healthy is a lock for top 10 in D scoring. Pk finished 30th in D scoring, depending on the overall role i can see him besting that in the upcoming season. These three give us a scoring threat from the defense at all times in a game, just keep them on different pairings. Markov Gorges, PK Gill and Wiz Yemelin, Spacek gets spot duty and steps in for injuries. Weber gets the swing man role and plays on the wing of the fourth line. As other posters(ozzy) have pointed out, Wiz would be getting Hammers money so it fits. We still have money for an upgrade somewhere if we have to have it.
We definately should be able to keep both.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:46 PM
  #61
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
if we didn't touch anything up front it wouldn't be bad. the number of goals we score isn't important if we win. we still managed to win a lot of games while being bottom barrel scorers. our worse weak spot this season was D. fix that this year and it makes our forwards better. then next season (during or after), we'll see how much we need to address up front. see where our youth has come along. the D is easier fix right now and we can actually afford to do it if we just leave the forwards alone. we have the goalie for it, build the d for it. make it a team like vancouver or new jersey that only needs 2 goals to win a game.


Last edited by HarlemsFinest: 06-12-2011 at 02:53 PM.
HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:50 PM
  #62
Playmaker09
Valar Morghulis
 
Playmaker09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
No, because he's lying. If you wait long enough, he'll run and copy something and call it his own, so hang tight.
No, his numbers check out. I was generous with UFAs/RFAs as well. (obviously Pyatt is just there as a placeholder)

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.600m)
Max Pacioretty ($1.500m) / Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / David Desharnais ($0.850m) / Ryan White ($0.850m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.750m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $55,545,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $8,054,491
Honestly, with that much room I'd just take a run at Brad Richards (long term contract) and bring back Halpern (for PK/faceoff duties). Yemelin is EASILY a top 6 NHL defenseman and by the end of the year will most likely be a top 4. Until then, Gill has shown that he can at least hold down a top 4 spot if need be. Plus we can keep Markov on the left side on the PP with Richards playing right, which would in itself replace a lot of what Wisniewski would bring.

(numbers slightly tweaked from before)

Quote:
CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS
Max Pacioretty ($1.500m) / Brad Richards ($7.000m) / Mike Cammalleri ($6.000m)
Andrei Kostitsyn ($3.250m) / Tomas Plekanec ($5.000m) / Brian Gionta ($5.000m)
Scott Gomez ($7.357m) / Lars Eller ($1.270m) / Mathieu Darche ($0.700m)
David Desharnais ($0.700m) / Jeff Halpern ($1.500m) / Ryan White ($0.600m)
Travis Moen ($1.500m) / Tom Pyatt ($0.600m)

DEFENSEMEN
Andrei Markov ($5.750m) / Josh Gorges ($2.500m)
Hal Gill ($2.250m) / P.K. Subban ($0.875m)
Jaroslav Spacek ($3.833m) / Alexei Yemelin ($0.984m)
Yannick Weber ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS
Carey Price ($2.750m) / Alex Auld ($1.000m)

BUYOUTS: Georges Laraque ($0.500m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled without the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $63,500,000; CAP PAYROLL: $63,295,509; BONUSES: $400,000
CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $204,491

Playmaker09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:58 PM
  #63
ThaDevilGirl
Registered User
 
ThaDevilGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: YFC/YUL
Country: Portugal
Posts: 8,523
vCash: 500
Habs brass might have poor memory, Habs fans have selective memory.

ThaDevilGirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:06 PM
  #64
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
^24 time stanley cup winnaaahhssss

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:08 PM
  #65
Melvin Udall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,304
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habblues View Post
As far as I`m concerned the Habs brass have poor memories by which they fail (every year) to recognize the players that were KEY to getting the Habs into the playoffs and worked like dogs during the playoffs. Last summer they let certain players walk after a terrific season and playoff run. And here we go again. I just can`t imagine even thinking about letting the WIZ walk after what he did for this team. He was the main reason they made the playoffs, THE MAIN REASON imo ! He was a warrior in the playoffs even though he was playing with many injuries.....As far as I`m concerned they can`t afford to lose a guy like that.


Your reasoning (along with an inconsistant draft record and at times some questionable trades) is a major reason as to why the HABS remain in the middle of the NHL year in and year out!

This will be the 19th consecutive year the Habs go back to the drawing board to attempt to make the HABS into a true Cup contender.

Management doesn't get the fact that their rebuilb plan (after 18 consecutive failures) doesn't work......but given Gauthier's track record as a NHL GM - a midddle of the road team seems to be his best work so far!


What if this is...as good as it gets?

Melvin Udall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:15 PM
  #66
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1
 
HarlemsFinest's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,485
vCash: 500
this is why we can't have nice things

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:35 PM
  #67
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder
 
Em Ancien's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Mount Real Life
Posts: 8,467
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDevilGirl View Post
Habs brass might have poor memory, Habs fans have selective memory.
I don't


Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:36 PM
  #68
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2112 View Post
Price needs a contract next year.
No one here knew that. Thanks for your imput.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:22 PM
  #69
jlgib21*
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 620
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
Your reasoning (along with an inconsistant draft record and at times some questionable trades) is a major reason as to why the HABS remain in the middle of the NHL year in and year out!

This will be the 19th consecutive year the Habs go back to the drawing board to attempt to make the HABS into a true Cup contender.

Management doesn't get the fact that their rebuilb plan (after 18 consecutive failures) doesn't work......but given Gauthier's track record as a NHL GM - a midddle of the road team seems to be his best work so far!


What if this is...as good as it gets?
As long as we make the playoffs

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:29 PM
  #70
CrAzYNiNe
Registered User
 
CrAzYNiNe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,920
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
I doubt Wiz would demand 5.5. It would be closer to 4.5.

I don't think that the Habs will get another top-six forward at 4-5 million.
He didn't sign a long term deal in Anaheim because he didn't like the offer. He can cash in 5 mill a year easy... Souray cashed in, I think Wis will too.

CrAzYNiNe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:47 PM
  #71
prairie hab
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 834
vCash: 500
Wiz absolutely needs to be re-signed. To answer the concern of the original post of this thread:

Where the Habs brass have poor memories is regarding the fact that they are convinced Markov is some sort of untouchable God-send who deserves to be signed to a huge contract in spite of being "absent" for the better part of two seasons and the playoffs.

"But we can't win without Markov......"
"But his contract is a steal considering what some of the other top D-men in the league make...."

I think the team has crushed these two myths over the past two seasons. We can win without Markov, and the only positive about his contract was how much cap space we were allowed to take back when he went on LTIR.

Wisniewski back with the Habs should be a no-brainer. But, for some reason I feel I will be disappointed......

prairie hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:54 PM
  #72
Player 61
#Winning
 
Player 61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: West Island
Country: Canada
Posts: 6,122
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Player 61
LOL, You guys...
Some of you should have been around in the 70's when there were less teams & we were stacked. You wouldn't be so hard up now. Damn 30 team capped system, it's so easy for me to trade Spacek in NHL11, why can't the Habs do it!!!

Player 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 05:01 PM
  #73
JohnLennon
Registered User
 
JohnLennon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,880
vCash: 500
The delusion of signing Wiz and Markov in this thread is unreal. I guarantee you 100% it will not happen. And we aren't going to send Spacek or Gomez to the minors...

How can some people call themselves hockey fans with their logic.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 05:14 PM
  #74
Ozymandias
#firetherrien
 
Ozymandias's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Hockey Mecca
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,439
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by prairie hab View Post
Wiz absolutely needs to be re-signed. To answer the concern of the original post of this thread:

Where the Habs brass have poor memories is regarding the fact that they are convinced Markov is some sort of untouchable God-send who deserves to be signed to a huge contract in spite of being "absent" for the better part of two seasons and the playoffs.

"But we can't win without Markov......"
"But his contract is a steal considering what some of the other top D-men in the league make...."

I think the team has crushed these two myths over the past two seasons. We can win without Markov, and the only positive about his contract was how much cap space we were allowed to take back when he went on LTIR.

Wisniewski back with the Habs should be a no-brainer. But, for some reason I feel I will be disappointed......
Only in the last season. If Markov didn't come back from injury in 09-10, the Habs probably wouldn't have made the playoffs. Markov was the MVP in the 45 games he played in 09-10, ranking top 3 among dmen for team's GFPG when he's on the ice, and top 10 for overall +/- put on an average of 82 games (ES+PP+PK) among all dmen. His PPG average was 6th among all dmen. The team's GF average went up almost by 0,50, and the team's GAA went down by almost 0,50, compared to when he wasn't there. Gomez was also very productive when Markov was on the ice, scoring 41 points in the 45 games Markov was there versus 18 points in the 33 games he wasn't there (0,91 PPG vs 0,54 PPG). I think most people will agree that Gomez wouldn't have racked up those points without Markov.

The only reason the team didn't flunk without a true #1D in the last season is because PK Subban took the spot, although with some rookie mistakes along the way. Having the TWO of them is what will make the Habs very hard to beat, not just one of them.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 05:25 PM
  #75
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best
 
Aspirine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,209
vCash: 50
We can, we should, they won't.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:56 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.