HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Eskin of 610 WIP: Front Office Open to Trading Richards or Carter

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2011, 12:44 AM
JABEE

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Renegade may be legit.
That rumor was brought up by the Columbus Dispatch.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:45 AM
Ghost of Downie*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
And the season to start so we can stop reading this crap.
Baby steps, CG. Baby steps.

Dates I am looking forward to regarding the hockey world:

1) End of the SCF so we can find out the cap and the Winter Classic.
2) Entry Draft so that we can (hopefully) see who's traded.
3) July 2nd to see how our goaltending situation has been handled.
4) Start of training camp and the new season.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:14 AM
HighOFFHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Eskin is a ****ing fool.
Right now no one knows what is going to happen. Assumptions can be made all the time, but at the end of the day I doubt the Flyers want to move Richards or Carter. I see them trying to move almost any other forward before they move them (except Giroux, JVR, and Briere) Moving your captain is a big move and I don't think this team needs big changes.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

So let's see, who is rumored to be traded/not return now?

Carter
Richards
Versteeg
Carle
Bob
Leino
Hartnell

Yeah. Ok. All so we can sign Bryz, because Bryz is the answer TO EVERY PROBLEM EVER IN HISTORY.

06-13-2011, 01:18 AM
Jtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

Carter
Richards
Versteeg
Carle
Bob
Leino
Hartnell

Yeah. Ok. All so we can sign Bryz, because Bryz is the answer TO EVERY PROBLEM EVER IN HISTORY.
Don't forget Timmo is retiring. And Pronger is out for the year.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:19 AM
infidelappel*

Quote:

Carter
Richards
Versteeg
Carle
Bob
Leino
Hartnell

Yeah. Ok.
Wouldn't be surprised to see them move/try to move anyone on that list not named Jeff or Mike.

I think Leino likely won't be back, and Carle/Hartnell/Steeg are candidates to be moved, in that order of likelihood.

Also, I think the Bryz signing does put the writing on the wall for Bob already; if he develops well, he's gone after the ELC is up. Might as well trade him early when they can possibly build up his value; the odds are that he won't want to wait around 4-5 years to be a starter when he's already kinda done it.

But unless it's a blockbuster, Carter goes nowhere...and Richards just isn't going anywhere. That's crazy talk.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:22 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
Any team that needs a center, and there are quite a few of them, is going to be calling Homer and hoping something develops. I'm surprised the Toronto talk hasn't started up again, because that's another donut team. So is Buffalo.
donut team.... HAHA

classic

Old
06-13-2011, 01:27 AM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
You might be alone.

Filatov does NOTHING for me.

If Richards goes to CBJ, Umberger gets added, not Filatov. I'm thoroughly unimpressed by Filatov as it is.
Trading Carter or Richards for a deal with Voracek AND Umberger makes no sense at all. Umberger is going into the final year of a $3.75M deal. Voracek is RFA and is going to need $2M minimum.

If you're trading a key piece to make cap room for Bryzgalov, you have to get the cap room. RJ defeats the purpose - you're taking back as much salary as you're trading..

You might as well keep Carter and Richards and trade Versteeg, Hartnell, Carle or Coburn without taking salary back - you accomplish the same thing.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:15 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:

Carter
Richards
Versteeg
Carle
Bob
Leino
Hartnell

I think the answer is clear we need to keep the core together and have a Peter Budaj/Johan Backlund tandem

Old
06-13-2011, 05:57 AM
dookie88

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerX View Post
I'm surprised the Toronto talk hasn't started up again, because that's another donut team. So is Buffalo.

Totally seeing this becoming a common phrase.
Awesome.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:46 AM
MsWoof

If he's named Snider as the guy saying Richards needs to go, I expect the rest of the media is going to be all over it. Snider is either going to have to confirm or deny saying it. If Richie goes, this is going to be one pissed off fanbase.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:21 AM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

I hate Howard Eskin probably just as much as you guys and I understand he may be going for shock factor but to make that kind of statement and have it found to be based on nothing it could be pretty damaging. This scares the crap out of me because their could actually be something behind this. I love Richards as a player but if all of this is true and something comes out about Richards and why Snider wants him gone I might not be as angry and trying to burn the organization.

"I Came Here To Bury Caesar, Not Praise Him" - Roy Halladay
Old
06-13-2011, 08:32 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
I hate Howard Eskin probably just as much as you guys and I understand he may be going for shock factor but to make that kind of statement and have it found to be based on nothing it could be pretty damaging. This scares the crap out of me because their could actually be something behind this. I love Richards as a player but if all of this is true and something comes out about Richards and why Snider wants him gone I might not be as angry and trying to burn the organization.
I think Philly management needs to come out and deal with this. I can easily see Richards being vocal about the direction of this team, starting with signing Leighton last season and forcing Gagne to leave. People say Richards is quiet, shy etc but he has publicly commented on Homer ****ing up the cap regarding the Upshall trade and Lavi switching up the pp this year. Meanwhile they bring in Pronger to help him learn to be a captain but Pronger seems more into himself than being a team player and Meltzer even said Pronger is the most devisive guy in the room. Add in the comments San Fillippo made about the Flyers feeding things to the media and then when confronted a day later denying them and it seems mind games and stupid management decisions are front and centre instead of the game.

I'm not holding my breath thinking the rest of the Philly media will look into this because they're all so brutal. But I do believe there is a lot of turmoil in the dressing room.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:40 AM
Terence Peterman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Cannon View Post
Eskin doesn't have to worry about any potential damage to his career. If he gets dropped, some other **** sports talk station will pick him up. But odds are he isn't dropped, he gets his balls busted, and calls everyone names as a segway into his next conversation about the Eagles.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:00 AM
DUHockey9

I hate Eskin more than almost anyone on Earth. A couple weeks ago they were talking MLB draft and a caller calls in who was genuinely very knowledgable about it. He seemed to be involved in collegiate baseball to some degree. Anyway, Eskin starts insisting that MLB draftees outside the 1st round aren't announced due to signability reasons/commitment to colleges. Now this is just incredibly wrong, as if any of you follow the draft, the names are released immediately. I mean...if I'm aware of who we took with the 1300th pick, you can bet that player that was taken knows as well. The caller tries telling him he's wrong, and of course Eskin insists he isn't, and hangs up on him.

Edit: oh, and I'd still be utterly shocked if either of them are traded, especially Richards.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:25 AM
Bryz4shiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtown View Post
Renegade may be legit.
Legit or not everyone has known Columbus has been talking about Carter for weeks

Old
06-13-2011, 11:34 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Flyers need a goal tender, they aquired the rights to Bryz so you know they are going to give him what he wants or they'll look like fools. To do that they need cap space so they have to get rid of a high price player. Carter to Columbus for their 1st and a prospect or two is a good deal for both teams. Just do it already!!

Old
06-13-2011, 11:39 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBum View Post
Flyers need a goal tender, they aquired the rights to Bryz so you know they are going to give him what he wants or they'll look like fools. To do that they need cap space so they have to get rid of a high price player. Carter to Columbus for their 1st and a prospect or two is a good deal for both teams. Just do it already!!
Must we re-hash the same arguments over and over?

There are FAR more expendable players that make substantial money, that can and should go first. It should be enough to get Bryz signed as well.

Carle
Hartnell
Versteeg
Combined with smaller tinkering with Carcillo, Zherdev, Shelley, etc.

Pardon me for balking at trading the 35+ goal scorer before exploring the other options first.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:45 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
So trade Carter...instead of moving Carle, Versteeg, or Hartnell? Yeah, that's logical. I'd rather have a proven 35-40 goal scorer in Carter than Voracek, a 1st rounder or whatever. That's not going help us win a cup NOW; I couldn't give a **** about seasons 2-3 years down the line if we win a cup in '12.

July 1st can't come soon enough. I'm ****ing sick of these ******** rumors and Carter/Richards trade proposals.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:46 AM
Paisano*
Jury is still out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Must we re-hash the same arguments over and over?

There are FAR more expendable players that make substantial money, that can and should go first. It should be enough to get Bryz signed as well.

Carle
Hartnell
Versteeg
Combined with smaller tinkering with Carcillo, Zherdev, Shelley, etc.

Pardon me for balking at trading the 35+ goal scorer before exploring the other options first.
Getting rid of 4-5 players to make space creates more holes that have to be filled. Filling them comes back to the cap space BS again. Filling one hole ( a big one) can be done with a hot prospect at minimum price. A 35 goal scoring prospect?, no, but the Flyers have enough goal scoring talent to pick up the slack.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
46zone
Guttersnipe

Quote:
Getting rid of 4-5 players to make space creates more holes that have to be filled. Filling them comes back to the cap space BS again. Filling one hole ( a big one) can be done with a hot prospect at minimum price. A 35 goal scoring prospect?, no, but the Flyers have enough goal scoring talent to pick up the slack.
Carle and Versteeg are expendable pieces and if they are both traded for picks/ there should be enough room to sign Bryz. Last I checked our top 9 was doing just fine before Versteeg hoped on bored. Carle, frankly, is overpaid and he can be replaced with a cheaper option via FA. Having an elite goalie like Bryz makes some our "depth" expendable.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:55 AM
The Flin Flon Bomber

Eskin has been at 610 for about 25 years now, right? There's very little he could say or do that would precipitate him getting fired.

I think he's demonstrated that fact quite clearly with his past.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:58 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
But that's not what it would be.

Boucher is clearly going that is 900k
Carcillo and Zherdev walk (which is expected to happen regardless of what else happens). Replace them with Wellwood and Rinaldo and that is 1.95 in savings.
Shelley is waived (who was scratched in the playoffs anyway), and replaced with a cheap 13th forward, that's about 500k savings.
Carle is traded and replaced with Gus, that is 2.538

That is 5.888 million in savings, with all replacements accounted for.

I'm just trying to prove it's possible. Now you may not want to rely on 2 rookies among your forwards. Perhaps you'd rather sign a guy for ~1 mill, then you've gotta tweak things a bit. Or maybe Bryz signs for 5.3 or so, and that fits in anyway.

If Bryz signs a 6 or 7 year deal, maybe you don't need Bob as an expensive backup. Trade him and replace him with a protoypical backup and that is another ~750k in savings.

There are a number of different ways to make it all work without trading your 35+ goal scorer. In fact, I daresay it might be EASY to do, depending on what Bryz signs for. Now if Bryz signs for 6+ (unlikely, imo) then we have issues.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flin Flon Bomber View Post
Eskin has been at 610 for about 25 years now, right? There's very little he could say or do that would precipitate him getting fired.

I think he's demonstrated that fact quite clearly with his past.
He could get suspended though, like when Allen Iverson was getting into trouble. Forget exactly what happened.

I'm still not taking his word on it, but it looks like this isn't going away.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:38 PM
Hollywood Couturier
#NoHonorForConnor

DU, Giroux is going up from $821,000 to $3.75M also.

Closed Thread