HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFC Thread

Old
06-12-2011, 12:58 PM
GlobalNews

vCash: 500
I can not believe how horrifically Diaz is being underrated in this thread. It literally astounds me.

GlobalNews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:06 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Quote:
Originally Posted by cue_meanie View Post
I can not believe how horrifically Diaz is being underrated in this thread. It literally astounds me.
I agree that his assets are being neglected, but how would you rate him?

You think he's got what it takes to beat GSP? After the Shields fight i'm pretty confident no one can touch GSP at WW....he's too big, too strong, too fast, too explosive. He's a beast in almost every aspect of the game, and he's got great strategists in his team (which sometime makes for lackluster fights).

Diaz has the boxing and BJJ advantage, but i think GSP can take him down with ease and he's confident enough in his sub defense to ground st pound his way to victory.

i see this as a replica of the Alves fight.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 01:16 PM
GlobalNews

I think Diaz has the best shot to beat GSP since he's had the belt. The kid is retardedly tough. Street fighter tough, not a lot of guys are in MMA. They are professional athletes. Nick Diaz is a fighter. His biggest set backs are wrestling and standing in the pocket against people with good striking. GSP's striking is laughable compared to Nick's boxing. So he's really only got the wrestling to worry about.

Earlier in this thread Habs said something about (paraphrasing) "how anyone who knows MMA knows Diaz is elite at BJJ and not striking." MULARKY. Diaz is one of the top 3 strikers in MMA. His style of boxing technique is not seen in MMA, because MMA striking is still garbage compared to boxing.

GSP is the favourite and should be, but just laughing off Diaz or pretending like no one wants to see this fight or care about it because you personally don't is ignorant.

Striking advantage goes to Diaz, toughness goes to Diaz, BJJ goes to Diaz, wrestling goes to GSP.

I personally don't feel GSP is going to steamroll through this fight.

Old
06-12-2011, 01:27 PM
TheCanasianfrasian

Send a message via MSN to TheCanasianfrasian
Quote:
I think Diaz has the best shot to beat GSP since he's had the belt. The kid is retardedly tough. Street fighter tough, not a lot of guys are in MMA. They are professional athletes. Nick Diaz is a fighter. His biggest set backs are wrestling and standing in the pocket against people with good striking. GSP's striking is laughable compared to Nick's boxing. So he's really only got the wrestling to worry about.

Earlier in this thread Habs said something about (paraphrasing) "how anyone who knows MMA knows Diaz is elite at BJJ and not striking." MULARKY. Diaz is one of the top 3 strikers in MMA. His style of boxing technique is not seen in MMA, because MMA striking is still garbage compared to boxing.

GSP is the favourite and should be, but just laughing off Diaz or pretending like no one wants to see this fight or care about it because you personally don't is ignorant.

Striking advantage goes to Diaz, toughness goes to Diaz, BJJ goes to Diaz, wrestling goes to GSP.

Diaz has been known to have problems with wrestlers and has even been ducking them in contender/title fights. There is no way Diaz will be able to defend a GSP takedown. Diaz is good when he's in a brawl, and GSP is too smart to brawl with Diaz, i'm sure he knows he would get clipped.

5 round decision to gsp, with Diaz fighting off his back for most of the fight.

TheCanasianfrasian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 02:27 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

Please, He'll win every rd and never be in trouble. You're over rating Diaz, both brothers are over rated and GSP is gonna stomp him.

Wanna make a bet that it's a non competitive fight like just about every other fight involving GSP?

The poster above is correct.

JDS/Carwin went as expected. JDS out classing him in striking, but Carwin always has that punchers chance, he got busted up good in the first round though.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 03:33 PM
DJ Breadman

Quote:

hahahaha he's tough? Shane Carwin was tough too he still got his A$$ handed to him, the day's of being a tough brawler or street fighter are long gone, MMA is all about skill, speed and strengh. All Diaz has is his hands, GSP will pick him up and drop him all fight long, should be an easy win for gsp.

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:22 PM
GlobalNews

All he has is hands? He's a black belt in Jiu Jitsu. Comparing him to Shane Carwin is complete and utter ignorance.

I'm saying he's tough plus has all the qualities of a professional fighter. He has the size, speed and skill you're talking about.

I'd also LOVE to hear about who he's ducking/has ducked.

Edit: I'm not saying Diaz will win. I'm saying it will be a good fight. How people can be so arrogant about their opinion on a sport I'll never know.

Old
06-12-2011, 08:57 PM
neofury*

Quote:
All he has is hands? He's a black belt in Jiu Jitsu. Comparing him to Shane Carwin is complete and utter ignorance.

I'm saying he's tough plus has all the qualities of a professional fighter. He has the size, speed and skill you're talking about.

I'd also LOVE to hear about who he's ducking/has ducked.

Edit: I'm not saying Diaz will win. I'm saying it will be a good fight. How people can be so arrogant about their opinion on a sport I'll never know.
Some people here think GSP won't even have a problem with Silva.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:27 AM
GlobalNews

Those people need to put down the pipe.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:42 AM
CrazyShea

Different GSP fight, same old posts claiming GSP will have trouble ending in the same result of a 5 round clinic.

CrazyShea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:06 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Breadman View Post
hahahah exactly, I don't know anyone who wanted this fight, the Diaz brothers are some of the most overrated fighters in all of MMA
Overrated by whom?
Nate Diaz is not even a high profile fighter. I don't know too many people that like him.
Nick however, no matter how easy you think he'll be for GSP, is one.
I think you need to define your idea of being overrated because I don't know one person that said Diaz will win. If you look at this thread alone, you have the big majority of posters saying Diaz barely has a puncher's chance. If anything, he's being greatly underrated.

Quote:
To those same people, Nick is apparently overrated...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
I agree that his assets are being neglected, but how would you rate him?

You think he's got what it takes to beat GSP? After the Shields fight i'm pretty confident no one can touch GSP at WW....he's too big, too strong, too fast, too explosive. He's a beast in almost every aspect of the game, and he's got great strategists in his team (which sometime makes for lackluster fights).

Diaz has the boxing and BJJ advantage, but i think GSP can take him down with ease and he's confident enough in his sub defense to ground st pound his way to victory.

i see this as a replica of the Alves fight.
After the Shields fight, I felt GSP needed to get his game in check. I thought that was a very poor fight from him. Blame it on his eye or wtv, it still was a poor outing and cuts/bruises tend to happen in fights..

If he fights similarly versus Diaz, I think he'll lose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCanasianfrasian View Post
Diaz has been known to have problems with wrestlers and has even been ducking them in contender/title fights. There is no way Diaz will be able to defend a GSP takedown. Diaz is good when he's in a brawl, and GSP is too smart to brawl with Diaz, i'm sure he knows he would get clipped.

5 round decision to gsp, with Diaz fighting off his back for most of the fight.
Who has he ducked? What is this ridiculous claim.
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
Please, He'll win every rd and never be in trouble. You're over rating Diaz, both brothers are over rated and GSP is gonna stomp him.

Wanna make a bet that it's a non competitive fight like just about every other fight involving GSP?

The poster above is correct.

JDS/Carwin went as expected. JDS out classing him in striking, but Carwin always has that punchers chance, he got busted up good in the first round though.
I think you proved how you greatly overrate GSP when you mentioned he'd have no problem beating AS.

Also, would you classify as a non competitive fight his last one versus Shields? Because it's rumored that the judges gave the last 2 rounds to Shields, which means it ended 3-2.

If GSP isn't careful versus Diaz, then he could very well end up in deep trouble. Diaz should not be tossed to the side like he's some weak opponent.
I can't predict how competitive the fight will be, that can depend on many things, but one thing I can tell you, I don't expect GSP to stomp him at all.

Kriss E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:15 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyShea View Post
Different GSP fight, same old posts claiming GSP will have trouble ending in the same result of a 5 round clinic.
Who ever thought GSP would have trouble vs Shields? or Koscheck? Hardy? Alves??

Penn was the only guy that could challenge GSP, but ever since returning, he's never been back to his early true ''Prodigy'' days.

Diaz is the best fighter GSP will have fought. That wasn't the case of his last 4 opponents.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:16 AM
Kriss E

As for the Carwin fight. I don't know why they didn't stop it while Carwin was getting pounded in the first.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:22 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Overrated by whom?
Nate Diaz is not even a high profile fighter. I don't know too many people that like him.
Nick however, no matter how easy you think he'll be for GSP, is one.
I think you need to define your idea of being overrated because I don't know one person that said Diaz will win. If you look at this thread alone, you have the big majority of posters saying Diaz barely has a puncher's chance. If anything, he's being greatly underrated.

To those same people, Nick is apparently overrated...

After the Shields fight, I felt GSP needed to get his game in check. I thought that was a very poor fight from him. Blame it on his eye or wtv, it still was a poor outing and cuts/bruises tend to happen in fights..

If he fights similarly versus Diaz, I think he'll lose.

Who has he ducked? What is this ridiculous claim.

I think you proved how you greatly overrate GSP when you mentioned he'd have no problem beating AS.

Also, would you classify as a non competitive fight his last one versus Shields? Because it's rumored that the judges gave the last 2 rounds to Shields, which means it ended 3-2.

If GSP isn't careful versus Diaz, then he could very well end up in deep trouble. Diaz should not be tossed to the side like he's some weak opponent.
I can't predict how competitive the fight will be, that can depend on many things, but one thing I can tell you, I don't expect GSP to stomp him at all.
I think you proved that when you get into a debate you have no problem twisting someones words for your own benefit. I never once stated he would have no problem with AS, I said I think he can do it, big difference. As for the rest of your post, Diaz has no chance, zero.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:03 AM
ymorin007*

Send a message via MSN to ymorin007*
Quote:
As for the Carwin fight. I don't know why they didn't stop it while Carwin was getting pounded in the first.
The same reason why they didnt stop Carwin pounding on Lesnar.

ymorin007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:07 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Who ever thought GSP would have trouble vs Shields? or Koscheck? Hardy? Alves??

Penn was the only guy that could challenge GSP, but ever since returning, he's never been back to his early true ''Prodigy'' days.

Diaz is the best fighter GSP will have fought. That wasn't the case of his last 4 opponents.
Actually irl I knew a fair number of people who though Alves had an outside chance. Nobody thought Koscheck or Hardy would win and Shields a ton of people on these forums said everybody was overrating him and that he wouldn't do anything to GSP, a ton of people on these forums also said "you don't know Jake Shields then"

But with Diaz I've actually been hearing just like the Alves fight that he actually has an outside chance unlike Koscheck where only blatant haters actually thought he could win or Hardy where I doubt anyone really did.

Diaz I've heard from some pretty big MMA fans that he has a shot, not the best shot in the world mind you but he isn't a push over either. Compared with the other fighters GSP has faced in recent time apparently he's the only one even close to having an actual chance at winning.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:15 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
I think you proved that when you get into a debate you have no problem twisting someones words for your own benefit. I never once stated he would have no problem with AS, I said I think he can do it, big difference. As for the rest of your post, Diaz has no chance, zero.
Well Habsjunkie2, you tell me how I'm suppose to interpret this :

Quote:
If GSP makes the jump, he would be a nightmare for AS. I think he would kick his ass with GnP.
Quote:
he will beat the piss out of him
Quote:
there is no way AS would be able to defend his takedowns. GSP would have him on the ground within 2minutes.
Ya, you really make it sound like GSP will have a challenging time with AS...
(Those quotes were taken from the UFC 129 thread)

You're wrong, Diaz has some chance, more than you think. But there's no point discussing GSP with you, you think he's a better fighter than AS, so it's of no surprise you put Diaz down.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:20 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Diaz I've heard from some pretty big MMA fans that he has a shot, not the best shot in the world mind you but he isn't a push over either. Compared with the other fighters GSP has faced in recent time apparently he's the only one even close to having an actual chance at winning.
That's why I always said GSP should fight Diaz. IMO, he's the #2 WW in the World and been there for a while. I understood that inter-organization fights were likely not to happen, but I expected this since the day they announce their purchase.
I think it'll be a good fight.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
neofury*

Quote:

You're wrong, Diaz has some chance, more than you think. But there's no point discussing GSP with you, you think he's a better fighter than AS, so it's of no surprise you put Diaz down.
And it's these type of quotes (mind you others said it too not just him) that I was referring to in my post above.

People on here act like they're the be all and end all of MMA knowledge but then they spew crap like "GSP will destroy Silva no problems" or "Diaz sucks and has no chance".

I happen to know plenty of MMA diehards who think Diaz is the best fight GSP will see in a while and those very same people weren't all on Jake Shield's dick when he was fighting GSP. Those very same people were the same ones who told me Alves had a shot when Koscheck and Hardy would get destroyed. I'll take their opinion over a lot of people here because they've been right thus far. No offense to anyone here but if you think GSP will smash AS that's just not logical thinking right there. Of all the people mentioned Alves stood with GSP for 5 rounds and didn't look like Koscheck by the end, didn't nearly get his arm broken like Hardy, didn't suck like Shields, etc. Plus Alves leading up to that fight had been doing well it's only after that he's looked mediocre.

Like I said I'm only a casual fan but my cousin and his friends are complete diehards, he hasn't steered me in the wrong direction yet regarding MMA and he says Diaz is going to be one hell of a fight, a fight GSP actually has a chance to lose unlike the others. Obviously you can lose any fight, but you know what I'm saying. The other fighters were basically fed to GSP. Anyone acting like GSP would make easy work of Silva is just plain too much of a homer to make a genuine analysis of the fight. I can understand GSP vs Diaz homering because GSP is still heavily favored even if by comparison less than other fights. Anyone saying GSP would win let alone be favored in GSP vs AS is just crazy to me, they must really underrate AS.

Quote:
That's why I always said GSP should fight Diaz. IMO, he's the #2 WW in the World and been there for a while. I understood that inter-organization fights were likely not to happen, but I expected this since the day they announce their purchase.
I think it'll be a good fight.
If any of my friends are right it should be. Obviously one can't ever predict a fight it could be the worst fight ever but I think it will be good. Not saying I think Diaz will win but I think he'll give GSP a run for his money.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
PhysicX

I've had a discussion regarding GSP with a couple of my friends not too long ago (We are big on Pride, K-1 and UFC). Two of them actually spoke with him at the gym and they told us about their little discussion. Overall, what caught my attention the most was when they told me his future health (head and body) is one of the, if not THE most important thing to him presently. Now don't get me wrong, it's perfectly understandable, but doesn't it conflict with the sport he's practicing? Hasn't he been in your opinions very, if not overly cautious in his last fights? For example, in his last bout against Shields I couldn't believe it when during the first or second break, his mind was in panic mode in regards to his eye. Again, understandable, but he kept on repeating his eye, I can't see, and he had three or four more rounds to go. He looked way too worried to me (maybe because I was high as hell) and fought that way as well. I wish I'd know more on psychology honestly, but those two things (fighting vs. brain and body health) conflict with each other!

PhysicX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:02 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:

Way to cherry pick a few quotes taken out of context with the rest of my posts.

You don't think I can think the style will cause AS fits without thinking he would get stomped. Cmon krisse you're better than this, you left out the million times I stated it would be a difficult fight that I think GSP could squeak out a decision with some GnP, I do think Silva would end up on his back, but he is very dangerous on his back. Obviously GSP wouldn't steamroll right through him and I never said that.

Nice use of a few sound bites though.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Robert604strom

My buddy went to the fights for his bday,said Carwin looked so slow. Thats what happens when you take fights on short notice. He said when Stout knocked out Edwards that the shot Stout got hit with sounded like a brick to the head.

Robert604strom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:15 PM
Kriss E

Quote:

You don't think I can think the style will cause AS fits without thinking he would get stomped. Cmon krisse you're better than this, you left out the million times I stated it would be a difficult fight that I think GSP could squeak out a decision with some GnP, I do think Silva would end up on his back, but he is very dangerous on his back. Obviously GSP wouldn't steamroll right through him and I never said that.

I'm not cherry picking. Those were your first thoughts on the matter. You started back tracking a tiny bit later and brought it down to a 50-50 possibility (still high imo and why I said you think a little too highly of GSP) with GSP winning by decision, after most kept telling you GSP has no chance.

Everybody is allowed to change their opinions, it really doesn't matter. The point was to show you that I didn't put words in your mouth.

It doesn't really matter anyways, because as you know, I don't think we will ever see this fight.

Last edited by Kriss E: 06-13-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old
06-13-2011, 01:18 PM
neofury*

Quote:

Just to clarify from my end of the discussion it wasn't just you I was referring to, it was a general statement. A lot of people share your opinion and are entitled to it. I just don't agree with it. And I do remember you saying other stuff too but when you said the things you said straight up like that, can you really blame him for the cherry picking? I didn't think it was that bad of a cherry pick. I remember at least one of those lines being pretty much what you responded with but I'd have to check or either have you re-post it.

Either way no worries cause I recognize what you're saying regardless, I just don't think GSP would give Silva fits. In fact I think after the 2nd round tops GSP would be quite worried, that's just me though. I don't think GSP will be able to play his little games with AS and will get stomped if he tried to. It would be interesting to see the strategy either fighter would use.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:34 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Just to clarify from my end of the discussion it wasn't just you I was referring to, it was a general statement. A lot of people share your opinion and are entitled to it. I just don't agree with it. And I do remember you saying other stuff too but when you said the things you said straight up like that, can you really blame him for the cherry picking? I didn't think it was that bad of a cherry pick. I remember at least one of those lines being pretty much what you responded with but I'd have to check or either have you re-post it.

Either way no worries cause I recognize what you're saying regardless, I just don't think GSP would give Silva fits. In fact I think after the 2nd round tops GSP would be quite worried, that's just me though. I don't think GSP will be able to play his little games with AS and will get stomped if he tried to. It would be interesting to see the strategy either fighter would use.
TBH I don't couldn't care less if you think it was cherry picking or not. I stated after the posts he quoted that I was just being over the top and not very serious about the quotes above and then stated countless times that I think GSP could win a decision.

Keep cheerleading though, it seems to me a certain group of posters constantly pat each other on the backs. You agreed with kriss about something he said that I said, which wasn't true, but I'm not surprised this is neofury I'm talking with.