HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
06-13-2011, 10:36 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

vCash: 500
Carl Hagelin could have waited until August 15 to become a free agent but he signed as soon as Michigan's season was over. The Rangers treat their prospects well. Adam Graves keeps tabs on them during the season. Is there a better human being than Adam Graves?

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:38 AM
Pizza

This has been an interesting thread. No question the comments coming from those worried about the situation border on the hysterical. I also find some of these comments from the other side amusing as well.

No one here is privy to the discussions between the Rangers and Chris Kreider. The Rangers have taken their measure of Kreider...and then they drafted him. Those discussions have continued and the Rangers have expressed their view, but they have respected his decision to stay in school.

You look someone in the eye, listen to what they say and then make a decision. I think these guys know what they're doing. Let's see what happens.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:08 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
The only way Sather will not be is if he is dead and buried. The guy has a lifetime contract. Wont be any difference.
Tell it to Messier who is inline for the position. Mark is anything but stupid. He'd be somewhere else by now if Sather never retires. You're five years behind.
No certitude about those two, esp. Torts, also is working against signing Richards here, I am sure, but from the opposite way. Richards may not want to deal with Mess and whatever coach he will get. For Kreider it's just opposite, he may want to wait out the outgoing front office figures.

Last edited by 94now: 06-13-2011 at 12:14 PM.
94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:36 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

I hope the kid doesn't read this board.

This thread is embarrassing.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:43 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Carl Hagelin could have waited until August 15 to become a free agent but he signed as soon as Michigan's season was over. The Rangers treat their prospects well. Adam Graves keeps tabs on them during the season. Is there a better human being than Adam Graves?
Carl wants to try hard to make it to NHL. Chris and his agent have no doubt he is an NHL material. Rangers or not he has to sign a big $$ contract. Rangers aren't in such position this year. Next year they could throw $$ at him, but not now. They probably offered in the ball park of 1 million, not enough.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:58 PM
NYRKindms

Staying at BC so he can get a BA in Business ?

I mean I might understand if he were working a hard science or something but business ?

I hope his education is really important to him as he is leaving millions on the table and he risks potential career ending injury at BC. If he signs now and comes out he gets his money, is 1 year closer to free agency etc. and he has an extra year earning big time money. He would pay for his entire education in 1 year of hockey and then some. Not very good business sense

NYRKindms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:01 PM
pld459666

I can't speak for anyone else, but I'm disappointed in his decision simply because I do not see his offensive game developing in that system under that coach.

I appreciate that he wants to learn the defensive side of the game. It's admirable.

The truth of the matter is that we did not draft him to be some big, fast 3rd line penalty killing forward.

We drafted him because of the raw talents he was displaying in highschool and expected that thise talents would be nurtured. Part of the reason we wanted him to go to the QMJHL.

I'd hate to see his development stunted because he's focused to much of his growing years learning how to play well defensively.

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:26 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
Carl wants to try hard to make it to NHL. Chris and his agent have no doubt he is an NHL material. Rangers or not he has to sign a big $$ contract. Rangers aren't in such position this year. Next year they could throw $$ at him, but not now. They probably offered in the ball park of 1 million, not enough.
ELC are handed out based on draft position 99% of the time. kreider will get the same 3 year ELC deal with the same bonuses next year that he would get this summer.

CM PUNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:32 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM PUNK View Post
ELC are handed out based on draft position 99% of the time. kreider will get the same 3 year ELC deal with the same bonuses next year that he would get this summer.
There is no such a rule. It is just being done as it seems reasonable.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Mikos87

With all the debate about NCAA players, last year with Stepan and McDonaugh, and this year with Hagelin and Kreider (with 3/4 signed so far) it reminded me of something Clarke said at last years draft about focusing on drafting the Major Junior player.

I think Kreider will sign, although spending the two extra years (he was pro ready after his freshmen year) could be a big difference in his paycheck down the line.

Not developing in game skills by playing more games, could ve the difference between him being a Jason Chimera and a Bill Guerin. That's a difference of more than 50 million dollars in lifetime earnings. Instead of bashing the kid over his choice, and people are defined by the choices they make, I am eagerly waiting to see if he lights up the stat board this year.

Given the system York employs and the lack of a skilled play maker and puck mover (Phillip Samuelsson is back in Sweden to hone his skill set there) I have a hard time believing CK cracks 40 points.

Best of luck to you Chris, And being a Boston boy I'm sure he gets how capricious a rabid fan base can be.

Mikos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 02:46 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
There is no such a rule. It is just being done as it seems reasonable.
what are you talking about? kreider has to sign an entry level contract which is a maximum of 3 years and places a cap on how much his base salary and his bonuses could be. it WILL be the same if he signed this summer or next summer

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:10 PM
Blazephr

Kreider's focus on education, preparation
Elite NHL prospect has clear goals for self as a junior at Boston College
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:22 PM
94now

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
what are you talking about? kreider has to sign an entry level contract which is a maximum of 3 years and places a cap on how much his base salary and his bonuses could be. it WILL be the same if he signed this summer or next summer
Max number that is. How do you know what did Rnagers offered? As far as I know no one does from outside.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:30 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Kreider's focus on education, preparation
Elite NHL prospect has clear goals for self as a junior at Boston College
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home
Good read. Hope he lights it up this year and then signs next offseason.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 03:54 PM
FutureGM97

Send a message via AIM to FutureGM97
From the article:

Quote:
"Education is very important to me ... and regardless of how long it takes, I will finish my BC degree," he said. "There is life after hockey, and whether it is after next year or regardless, it's just one step closer to getting my degree, which is very important for myself and for my family. Obviously, I want to be a hockey player first and foremost, but I also feel I need to perform better at this level first."
Everyone can now relax about him not wanting to sign with NYR...not that there was ever anything to be worried about. He's setting himself up for things after hockey as well as his hockey career. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

FutureGM97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:05 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Max number that is. How do you know what did Rnagers offered? As far as I know no one does from outside.
How do you even know a contract was on the table? The max # will stay the same.. hed get the same contract if he wanted to sign now, or next summer. He's either going to receive close to or the max ELC whenever he decides to sign

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:07 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
From the article:

Everyone can now relax about him not wanting to sign with NYR...not that there was ever anything to be worried about. He's setting himself up for things after hockey as well as his hockey career. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.
Thats fine. Its his decision and people should respect that.

However, you could also easily point out there contradictory nature of that statement. If hockey came "first and foremost" as he put it, he'd sign a contract and speed up his development track. Its still an idiotic decision from a hockey standpoint.

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:11 PM
Levitate

I think Kreider might underestimate his abilities and sometimes lack confidence in his game, but if going back to college for another year helps him find that confidence and use his tools better, then so be it

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:15 PM
ocarina

I don't understand how going back to college is going to set Krieder's development back somehow. Fact is, his numbers in college have been somewhat underwhelming considering the level he is at as a player.

Let him go back, be the go-to guy, learn how to play with the added responsibility, and then move onto the pros. I think some of you guys are being a little too impatient with Krieder, he's still pretty far away from being anything other then a 4th liner.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
GAGLine

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
How do you even know a contract was on the table? The max # will stay the same.. hed get the same contract if he wanted to sign now, or next summer. He's either going to receive close to or the max ELC whenever he decides to sign
Yes, the base salary will be at or near the max, but the bonuses could be a sticking point. That's where you see the difference between a player selected in the top 5 and a player selected at 19.

Of note also is that there is no bonus cushion next year, so if he signs a contract that includes a large bonus, that could impact his potential spot on team. Maybe he signs and Hagelin or Grachev get the spot because they are cheaper.

Now, those are just what ifs. I don't think it's about money with Kreider, at all. I think he still has unfinished business at BC. I don't think he's satisfied with what he's accomplished on a personal level. He went from being dominant in prep school to not playing as much and not scoring as much in college. I'm sure he'd like to get back to a high level again before moving on.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:39 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Thats fine. Its his decision and people should respect that.

However, you could also easily point out there contradictory nature of that statement. If hockey came "first and foremost" as he put it, he'd sign a contract and speed up his development track. Its still an idiotic decision from a hockey standpoint.
Maybe it is stupid from a hockey standpoint, but from a life standpoint it is not stupid- and what Kreider is basically saying is that there is more to life than just hockey.

Stugots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:25 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

After reading the NYR.com article on Kreider, I don't see how any fans could have any concerns/questions about the kid's mindset or commitment to the game or his academics.

wolfgaze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Disappointing from a Hockey fans pov

Kudos from an intellectual pov

Downright stupid from a Die hard Rangers fan pov

It depends on how you want to look it at. This definitely takes balls and it tells us this is a different type of kid we are dealing with here. Could be a bad thing, could be a very very good thing. Obviously, it would be in all parties best interests from a hockey standpoint that he play in Juniors or AHL. While It doesnt seem like that is going to happen in the very near future, you cant write the kid off right away and say its a terrible decision.

Everyones path in life is different. Kreider seems like he knows what he wants and is sticking to his guns. Hopefully thats a sign of the passion and determination that will grow as he gets older. Can't force the kid to do something he doesnt want to do, then his heart wont be completely in it. I just hope for his sake he doesnt take too long and runs out of time. He should be signed next year and he can finish his degree in the summers to come if thats what really important.

If he is truly a smart kid he should understand all this and i think he does. Who knows he might feel that this is a part of his life that is very short and he wants to enjoy it. Someone has to be very mature to recognize that if thats the case. Look at Del Zotto, still very young with a ton of promise, but even after a full 2 years around the NHL team theres still no guarantee of success. Sometimes development could be forced and come too soon. We'll see how it goes but i have to respect his and his family's decision.

Sucks for us to have to wait another year and fret and debate over if Chris is actually going to become the player we all think he can be though. Sometimes thats what the selfish fan has to swallow unfortunately. As long as he doesnt turn into a Wheeler then im cool with it. We've waited all thios time for the Cally's. Dubi's and Ani's to develop, its not the end of the world to wait a little longer for Kreider...

HockeyBasedNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Someone let him know he can finish his useless degree in hockey offseasons.

He probably just wants to stay in college because of a girl

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FutureGM97 View Post
From the article:

nothing wrong with it at all.

then again, it still makes no sense from a professional hockey player standpoint. none whatsoever.

this guy is preparing for a career playing professional ice hockey yet when you read what he says, it sounds like hes trying to get a degree while playing hockey. i mean heck, hes not like some schlub whos playing hockey as a means to go to school and get his degree knowing he'll never make money playing the sport. this guy has millions sitting there. waiting for his signature. hes a first rounder for gods sake.

look at mike richter. highly intelligent, high end athlete. playing his sport, achieving a stanley cup, finishing his career, getting his degree and starting his second career.

makes total sense. i respect mike for how he went about it. but this stuff from kreider makes no sense. none. this just delays his development and for what, another year of college life.

sign the freekin contract bro. we all understand how important it is to you and your familiy that you get your degree but nothing stopping you from doing that. later.

right now you need to focus on your professional career as an ice hockey player drafted in the first round and sign the contract thats sitting there.

enough of this crap.

theres a very fine line between fear and caution, between desire and going and getting something. between confidence and self doubt. not sure where chris kreider is in that realm but hes sure giving me pause.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote