HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-12-2011, 01:55 PM
JimmyStart*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by German Way of War View Post
Injuries is not an acceptable excuse for Drury. He had one solid wire-to-wire season as a Ranger, and even that season was a bit of an underachievement when you consider his previous two seasons. Drury's last two seasons as a ranger were disasters. His 2nd season started out as a disaster and he feasted on lesser teams to make his stats look respectable (17 of his 56 points -- 30 pct) came against the Isles, TB and Atlanta)

I didnt want Drury to be a superstar. I wanted him to score big goals, win clutch faceoffs, be a strong leader and make the Rangers a better team than they were before he got there.

None of the above happened with frequency. Therefore, his tenure as a Ranger was a disappointment.

If the report is true, I'm happy he's gone. He serves no purpose on this team.
Exactly what I was trying to say. I never ever ever expected more than what he gave Buffalo in 06. Expected a little less numbers wise however what I did expect was a player to be noticeable on the ice and score big goals, help set up nice plays from the D and neutral zone and forecheck noticeably. Essentially be a more developed Cally. To be frank Drury was not very noticeable his entire tenure here. I think the most I ever noticed him was the year before this when he had almost zero offense but compensated by absolutely throwing himself in front of everything.

I really don't think many ever expected more than 25 g 65 pts but the early decline in 09-10 really sealed his fate as an absolute dissappointment and underperformer. If he could have avoided declining there and had another solid season that year we make the playoffs that year...after all we were one game away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
What was the potential or an older, oft-injured player, with quickly eroding skills? Not very high. Sather paid him based on what he had done in the past. Did he overpay? Of course, big time.
He wasn't an oft injured aging player when we signed him he was coming off his best years ever. Unfortunately injuries played a huge factor which he cant help but it still leads to the conclusion that he didn't manage to perform up to the minimal of expectations. he couldn't help it which makes it a terrible drama for him but while I don't have venom towards the guy admit he didn't achieve weven the minimal of expectations here. 2 OK years out of 5.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 06-12-2011 at 02:05 PM.
Old
06-12-2011, 02:31 PM
RangerFan10

Send a message via AIM to RangerFan10
I don't understand how there is 21 pages of discussion about this.

-Drury was a pretty good player before he got to the Rangers. His contract at the time was still pretty significant overpayment.
-He was decent his first two seasons with the Rangers.
-Stuff happened. Drury's play declined as well.
-Drury will be bought out.
-Drury was and is until he is bought out (duh) overpaid.
-There should be no bitter feelings to Drury, it's not as if he was slacking to cash in. He simply got worse. No excuses, but it's not as if he didn't put forth his best every time he hit the ice. His best simply wasn't anywhere near what it should have been based on the contract.

Moving on...

Old
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Haha, yeah, RangerFan10 is pretty much spot-on. Pretty open and shut, I'd think.

Old
06-12-2011, 04:36 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
while all that is true, i have no special place in my heart for chris drury.

to me hes just another high priced fa signing gone wrong. i never really warmed to him and still dont think he earned his paycheck while here. he always came off as aloof, dazed and detached, almost catatonic in a way. his whole way of conducting himself never gave off a sense of care nor energy. there was no ''there'' there. and the whole ''ruin my weekend'' thing just rubs me wrong.

if you are gonna capt the ny rangers- you would do well to never act like chris drury. i many ways, he was the anti-messier.

he just wasnt here long enough nor did he do enough for me to feel like he was a true ny ranger. to me, he was just an expensive hired gun who could neither shoot hard nor straight. i dont blame him for that. i blame sather.

all his best years were played elsewhere and many of his biggest moments were actually while playing as the opposition. hard to feel much for someone like that.

in fact, i have a hard time feeling anything postive towards anything buffalo sabres. just not a fan of that organization.
Even though I feel bad for him, this is how I will always remember him. His lack of swagger and leadership just didn't work out and they certainly wont help with this young team we have. It's time to cut ties. Can't say I will miss Drury and I will be happy that the "C" will not be stitched on to a "23" jersey.

Old
06-12-2011, 05:37 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
To me it's not even a question anymore. Drury must be bought out for this team to move foward. You can't pay a guy that much to center your 3rd/4th line.

I think even Dolan knows this and he knows jack about Hockey. He is an expert on buying out terrible contracts though.

Old
06-12-2011, 05:54 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerFan10 View Post
I don't understand how there is 21 pages of discussion about this.

-Drury was a pretty good player before he got to the Rangers. His contract at the time was still pretty significant overpayment.
-He was decent his first two seasons with the Rangers.
-Stuff happened. Drury's play declined as well.
-Drury will be bought out.
-Drury was and is until he is bought out (duh) overpaid.
-There should be no bitter feelings to Drury, it's not as if he was slacking to cash in. He simply got worse. No excuses, but it's not as if he didn't put forth his best every time he hit the ice. His best simply wasn't anywhere near what it should have been based on the contract.

Moving on...
Since when do sports fan forgive a highly-paid player simply because the effort is there? This is a results-based environment, and the results were not there for Drury.

Chris Higgins was extremely hard working. Avery is one of the hardest working players in the league. It doesnt mean the fans cant be disappointed in a player and be somewhat relieved that the organization is turning the page.

I'm not bitter. I'm just glad he's gone. Hopefully he can go out west and find his legs again and contribute to a contender. If not, it's kind of a sad ending to his career.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:06 PM
broadwayblue

In the end it's just too bad it didn't work out. Even worse, we gave him all that money and the most lasting memory I will ever have of him is his back breaking goal against us. Oh well, I won't let that ruin my summer.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:30 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Since when do sports fan forgive a highly-paid player simply because the effort is there? This is a results-based environment, and the results were not there for Drury.

Chris Higgins was extremely hard working. Avery is one of the hardest working players in the league. It doesnt mean the fans cant be disappointed in a player and be somewhat relieved that the organization is turning the page.

I'm not bitter. I'm just glad he's gone. Hopefully he can go out west and find his legs again and contribute to a contender. If not, it's kind of a sad ending to his career.
I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed. I'm disappointed. I think even the most ardent Drury supporters are disappointed. However, some of the comments in this thread cross the line from expressing disappointment to being outright hateful and somewhat disturbing. I don't understand why people need to make it a personal issue.

And I get bitterness and resentment towards Drury, at least Drury the player. Too many people are making this about Drury the person though.

It's just pain.
Old
06-12-2011, 10:24 PM
GWOW
Two Pucks, One Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with being disappointed. I'm disappointed. I think even the most ardent Drury supporters are disappointed. However, some of the comments in this thread cross the line from expressing disappointment to being outright hateful and somewhat disturbing. I don't understand why people need to make it a personal issue.

And I get bitterness and resentment towards Drury, at least Drury the player. Too many people are making this about Drury the person though.
I don't see why they would take personal shots at the guy. He seemed pretty professional and played through a lot of pain for his whole time here.

I mean, it's not like he was Bobby Bonilla or Plaxico Burress.

I wish Drury the best only because we all know his performance bothers him more than it bothers us. I'm just glad he's not going to be hurting the team financially.

At this point I'd say he's a 2-million dollar 4th line player, but something tells me he'll heal up and be effective on offense with a better team.

Old
06-12-2011, 10:30 PM
Bob Richards
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Quote:
At this point I'd say he's a 2-million dollar 4th line player, but something tells me he'll heal up and be effective on offense with a better team.
Never fails when it comes to the New York Rangers

Old
06-13-2011, 10:01 AM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Quote:
The guy was out played by Kris Newbury and Chad Kolarik, you really think he's still a 2million dollar player and will turn his offensive game around?

I say CHRIS DRURY!!!!!!

And I hate Donald Trump, but it just fits!!!!

Don't like McMahon either but don't let the door hit you on the way out Chris!

You asked for the contract, you got the contract, and here's your serenade song!

Sather has to live with the consequences of his actions with a buyout and Chris lives with his, by getting dumped out of a contract early.

Last edited by vipernsx: 06-13-2011 at 10:08 AM.
Old
06-13-2011, 11:19 AM
clmetsfan

It never ceases to amaze me how certain fans think that they have a good grip on a player's leadership capabilities based on how that player interacts with the media.

Drury's teammates have sung his praises as a leader at every single stop in his career (including NY) and yet some people still act as if they were in the locker room as well and therefore have a valid contradictory opinion. It's laughable.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:27 AM
mullichicken25

Quote:
Originally Posted by clmetsfan View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how certain fans think that they have a good grip on a player's leadership capabilities based on how that player interacts with the media.

Drury's teammates have sung his praises as a leader at every single stop in his career (including NY) and yet some people still act as if they were in the locker room as well and therefore have a valid contradictory opinion. It's laughable.
always amazes me too

i've never heard anyone who actually was around the dude say anything negative about his leadership ability

only idiots behind a keyboard

Old
06-13-2011, 11:44 AM
pld459666

vCash: 873

Quote:

I think alot of that is brough on by himself and some of the comments about not allowing certain losses ruin his weekend.

A loss should burn, you should be bothered by some of them and for the most part, they should ruin weekends and holidays.

And if the losses don't get to you they way they should, don't announce it during post game interviews.

It gives off the impression that you don't care.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:51 AM
clmetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post
I think alot of that is brough on by himself and some of the comments about not allowing certain losses ruin his weekend.

A loss should burn, you should be bothered by some of them and for the most part, they should ruin weekends and holidays.

And if the losses don't get to you they way they should, don't announce it during post game interviews.

It also gives off the impression that you're a professional and are able to put a tough loss behind you and move on to the next game. Of course, if you have an axe to grind with a player, then of course a quote like that is something you'll fixate on and use as proof of how one sentence can override an entire career.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:00 PM
alkurtz

Leadership comes in many forms. The "strong silent type" is one of those forms.

Hockey is the most emotional of sports and most fans want their captains to show emotion. Guess the legacy of Messier, lives on. But Mess was perhaps the greatest leader any sport as ever known: unique and one of a kind.

Many of the captains around the NHL are like Drury: their impact is more behind the scenes than on the ice. Only part of a teams existence is spent on the ice during games. Practice, conditioning, travel, hotels, off ice functions,private conversations, team meals, etc is where the majority of time is spent. A true leader's impact is felt all the time, everywhere. No need to yell and scream off the ice. That is where true leadership is shown.

Like most, I think Cally should be our next captain. He fits the model of the on-ice captain who leads by example. None of us, I don't think, knows what kind of a leader he is off the ice or whether he will grow into that role.

Old
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pld459666 View Post

When did a single comment about not wanting to let a loss ruin his Christmas turn into "some comments about not allowing certain losses to ruin his weekend?"

In what altered reality is it better to stew over a loss during a family holiday than it is to let it go and come back with a clean slate afterward? Clearly what Drury should have said was: "This is ******** and my family is going to hear about it all weekend."

Leadership 101: Don't let the negatives outweigh the positives and don't dwell on those negatives either. Thousands of coaches and captains preach this, but as soon as Chris Drury says it, it means he doesn't care.

Quote:
“We just have to give ourselves a chance to get back here,” Bruins forward Patrice Bergeron said. “Now it’s all about Game 6. In playoffs it’s all about not getting too high, not getting too low. It’s the same thing when you lose. You have to make sure you turn the page and move forward.
Link..

Go ask B's fans if they have any problems with what Bergeron said.

The fact of the matter is that Drury could have put what he said differently, but it only reads as "I don't care about losing" if you want it to. Common sense would dictate that a guy who played the 08-09 Caps series with a broken hand probably doesn't enjoy losing, but common sense holds no place amongst folks who are looking for any and every excuse to point the finger at one guy for all of the teams problems.

Last edited by Trxjw: 06-13-2011 at 12:46 PM.
Old
06-13-2011, 12:23 PM
Bluenote13
Believe In Henke

Quote:
It also gives off the impression that you're a professional and are able to put a tough loss behind you and move on to the next game. Of course, if you have an axe to grind with a player, then of course a quote like that is something you'll fixate on and use as proof of how one sentence can override an entire career.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alkurtz View Post
Leadership comes in many forms. The "strong silent type" is one of those forms.

Hockey is the most emotional of sports and most fans want their captains to show emotion. Guess the legacy of Messier, lives on. But Mess was perhaps the greatest leader any sport as ever known: unique and one of a kind.

Many of the captains around the NHL are like Drury: their impact is more behind the scenes than on the ice. Only part of a teams existence is spent on the ice during games. Practice, conditioning, travel, hotels, off ice functions,private conversations, team meals, etc is where the majority of time is spent. A true leader's impact is felt all the time, everywhere. No need to yell and scream off the ice. That is where true leadership is shown.

Like most, I think Cally should be our next captain. He fits the model of the on-ice captain who leads by example. None of us, I don't think, knows what kind of a leader he is off the ice or whether he will grow into that role.
Excellent, excellent posts, could not agree more

Old
06-13-2011, 12:32 PM
nyrleetch

Sorry for my laziness but is it pretty official that Avery won't be bought out and given a shot in training camp?

Old
06-13-2011, 01:28 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

when do the buyouts officially go down?

Old
06-13-2011, 01:29 PM
JeffMangum
mfw Flyers D

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
when do the buyouts officially go down?
June 15th-June 30th.

I believe there may also be a 2nd buyout period sometime in August.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
Old
06-13-2011, 01:37 PM
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller

vCash: 566
Captains lead and Chris hasn't lead the Ranger's anywhere. He hasn't lead them on the ice, he hasn't lead them on the bench, and if he were leading them in the locker room he'd be kept around. Goodbye Chris, you're not providing anything but taking up space. True Leaders like Vinny Prospal and Ryan Callahan have been the leaders of this team. Prior to then it was guys like Martin Straka and Jaromir Jagr, you were never a leader of the NY Rangers. Perhaps you were a CO-Captain of the Buffalo Sabres with Daniel Briere and perhaps you earned your stripes with the Colorado Avalanche, but I'm a Ranger fan and you've never done anything for US on Broadway. Have a nice retirement, go run your pizzeria because you can't play hockey anymore.

Old
06-13-2011, 01:40 PM
CM PUNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Boyle View Post
June 15th-June 30th.

I believe there may also be a 2nd buyout period sometime in August.
the 2nd buyout period in august only happens if you have arbitration cases...rangers could take one of the rfas to arbitration simply to make sure that buyout period is available if the rfas don't file for it themselves.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:26 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Buyout period is supposed to start this Wednesday but it will be delayed until Friday June 17 if there's a possible game 7 of the finals would be played on Wednesday. June 15/17-June 30 are ordinary course buy-outs. 2nd buyout period occurs when a team has more than 1 arbitration case. Buyouts(completed) are due 48 hours after the club's last arbitration case is settled/awarded. The 2nd buyout period could be in July. Depends when the Rangers settle the arbitration cases. They have 4 eligible players. Dubinsky,Callahan,Boyle and Sauer. Not counting Gilroy who won't be qualified. July 5 deadline for player elected. July 6 is deadline for 2nd club elected arbitration. The first club elected arbitration is June 15 or June 17. Delayed for game 7.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:32 PM
Bleed Ranger Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Captains lead and Chris hasn't lead the Ranger's anywhere. He hasn't lead them on the ice, he hasn't lead them on the bench, and if he were leading them in the locker room he'd be kept around. Goodbye Chris, you're not providing anything but taking up space. True Leaders like Vinny Prospal and Ryan Callahan have been the leaders of this team. Prior to then it was guys like Martin Straka and Jaromir Jagr, you were never a leader of the NY Rangers. Perhaps you were a CO-Captain of the Buffalo Sabres with Daniel Briere and perhaps you earned your stripes with the Colorado Avalanche, but I'm a Ranger fan and you've never done anything for US on Broadway. Have a nice retirement, go run your pizzeria because you can't play hockey anymore.
Its quite amazing that you could write this entire thing while knowing absolutely nothing about the subject.

Closed Thread