HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers will buy out Drury (Brooks: Drury gone, Avery safe; Wolski maybe?)

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2011, 02:51 PM
Pugs35

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Captains lead and Chris hasn't lead the Ranger's anywhere. He hasn't lead them on the ice, he hasn't lead them on the bench, and if he were leading them in the locker room he'd be kept around. Goodbye Chris, you're not providing anything but taking up space. True Leaders like Vinny Prospal and Ryan Callahan have been the leaders of this team. Prior to then it was guys like Martin Straka and Jaromir Jagr, you were never a leader of the NY Rangers. Perhaps you were a CO-Captain of the Buffalo Sabres with Daniel Briere and perhaps you earned your stripes with the Colorado Avalanche, but I'm a Ranger fan and you've never done anything for US on Broadway. Have a nice retirement, go run your pizzeria because you can't play hockey anymore.
Wait, did I miss the long playoff run that the "True Leaders" like Prospal and Jagr lead the Rangers to? I feel like I should have noticed.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:55 PM
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugs35 View Post
Wait, did I miss the long playoff run that the "True Leaders" like Prospal and Jagr lead the Rangers to? I feel like I should have noticed.
To be fair, Prospal's play after he returned for the last 29 games of the season is a big reason why the Rangers made the playoffs to begin with this year.

Old
06-13-2011, 02:57 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipernsx View Post
Captains lead and Chris hasn't lead the Ranger's anywhere. He hasn't lead them on the ice, he hasn't lead them on the bench, and if he were leading them in the locker room he'd be kept around. Goodbye Chris, you're not providing anything but taking up space. True Leaders like Vinny Prospal and Ryan Callahan have been the leaders of this team. Prior to then it was guys like Martin Straka and Jaromir Jagr, you were never a leader of the NY Rangers. Perhaps you were a CO-Captain of the Buffalo Sabres with Daniel Briere and perhaps you earned your stripes with the Colorado Avalanche, but I'm a Ranger fan and you've never done anything for US on Broadway. Have a nice retirement, go run your pizzeria because you can't play hockey anymore.
I'm not in the locker room so I can't and won't comment on Drury's leadership skills...and I'm pretty happy he'll be bought out.

What I would liek to know from all of the posters questioning his leadership or lack thereof, where did you think this team would finish before the season started? And then factor in the total abysmal season Gaborik had...and then tell me where they should have finished.

Not defending Drury just asking a ?

Old
06-13-2011, 03:00 PM
alkurtz

Wait, did I "mishear" some comments from Stepan about how much he learned from Drury this year?

Gung-ho leadership sometimes leads to disaster in many areas. Sometimes it is necessary, but sometimes quiet leadership serves best.

There wasn't anyone who didn't believe that Drury would be appointed captain after his signing and probably very, very few were opposed to it. Everyone knew what kind of leader he would be. Few complained.

Again, there is no one template for leadership.

I guess, the only "leader/captain" who will be judged successful is the captain of the Cup winning team. Everybody else is a failure. Didn't deliver a cup? Poor leadership? Off with their heads!

Old
06-13-2011, 03:15 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panfork View Post
To be fair, Prospal's play after he returned for the last 29 games of the season is a big reason why the Rangers made the playoffs to begin with this year.
Sure. I've got nothing against Prospal (or Jagr) but he was insinuating that they were/are much better leaders than Drury without any real evidence to support that. Just because they get excited when they scored, I guess.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:34 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Im actually shocked to see a handful of posters so adamant about defending Drury.

He was about as much as a Broadway bust that there can be. And yes that factors in everything including, play, leadership, salary, and attitude.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Sure. I've got nothing against Prospal (or Jagr) but he was insinuating that they were/are much better leaders than Drury without any real evidence to support that. Just because they get excited when they scored, I guess.
How about there ability to step up when we needed them to? Or the emotion they showed on the ice to get the team going? Or their attitude in general to the media that actually made it look like they gave a damn about the team.

Drury did nothing. Best day in Ranger land in years when that useless sack will get bought out.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:37 PM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Im actually shocked to see a handful of posters so adamant about defending Drury.

He was about as much as a Broadway bust that there can be. And yes that factors in everything including, play, leadership, salary, and attitude.
Attitude? Surely you must be confusing Drury with Kotalik or Redden, whom both *****ed after being scratched and had their ice time reduced. Drury played on the 4th line for the entire season and never complained once. He accepted his limited role on this team, which is something many players struggle with.

Old
06-13-2011, 03:40 PM
HockeyBasedNYC

Quote:

With all due respect, how can you speak of his leadership and attitude? Are you part of the team?

I dont think any of us can speak on that matter and be even 50% sure of our opinion. There are too many moments behind the scenes we just dont see at practice, before and after games, etc.

His play wasnt all that bad either the first couple of years. Sure, his time here can be considered an overall bust when you take everything into account, including any leadership or attitude (good or bad) If thats what you are getting at then so-be it. But again, we really aren't in a position to judge that portion of it.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:16 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
To be fair to Jagr--that team coming out of the lockout was as far as a lot of 'experts' figured--a lottery team. I think SI predicted the Rangers would finish 30th out of 30.

They were figuring of course that Lundqvist was going to be at best the backup to Kevin Weekes. Most of them had no clue even who he was. Even so the team bonded around Jagr for the next three seasons--and made the playoffs each time--even won a few rounds.

This isn't necessarily to cut up Drury on his leadership ability but if you're going to ask me who was the better captain it would be Jagr.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:24 PM
mostly a reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
Its quite amazing that you could write this entire thing while knowing absolutely nothing about the subject.
Find a video of his goal at the end of the season and how his teammates reacted to it. Think of how the game went after that. It's a small sample, but it shows that he had the respect of his teammates. The skills were gone, but the heart and desire were still there and his teammates looked up to that.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:30 PM
BBKers

Send a message via Skype™ to BBKers
Quote:
Originally Posted by eco's bones View Post
To be fair to Jagr--that team coming out of the lockout was as far as a lot of 'experts' figured--a lottery team. I think SI predicted the Rangers would finish 30th out of 30.

They were figuring of course that Lundqvist was going to be at best the backup to Kevin Weekes. Most of them had no clue even who he was. Even so the team bonded around Jagr for the next three seasons--and made the playoffs each time--even won a few rounds.

This isn't necessarily to cut up Drury on his leadership ability but if you're going to ask me who was the better captain it would be Jagr.
If leading by example of high level play you are undoubtably correct. Jagr was by far the better player in their tenure in a NYR uniform. As for who was the better overall leader - we will never know as none of us (less Ranger Boy who is Glen Sather I suspect) are part of the team or management. All we can do here is speculate in absurdity.I do have my opinion on the matter, built on far too little real information I readily admit, as am I sure everyone else has theirs. But we really do not know crocksheet here....just saying

Old
06-13-2011, 04:32 PM
eco's bones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBKers View Post
If leading by example of high level play you are undoubtably correct. Jagr was by far the better player. As for who was the better overall leader - we will never know as none of us (less Ranger Boy who is Glen Sather I suspect) are part of the team or management. All we can do here is speculate. )Ihave myopinion built on far toolittle real information, as amI sure everyone else has theirs. But we really do not know crocksheet here....
Put it this way Jagr carried the team on his back at times. When we needed him to be our best player he usually was.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Pugs35

Quote:
How about there ability to step up when we needed them to? Or the emotion they showed on the ice to get the team going? Or their attitude in general to the media that actually made it look like they gave a damn about the team.

Drury did nothing. Best day in Ranger land in years when that useless sack will get bought out.
You mean step up like playing with a broken hand, throwing yourself in front of slapshots and scoring the game tying goal in the last game of the season? Yeah, Drury was a disappointment on the scoreboard, but he did step up and his effort isn't questionable.

Emotion on the ice is overrated IMO. There are a lot of different forms of leadership that are effective. And, honestly, I bet the people ripping Drury for being too calm or emotionless are probably the same people who hate Ovechkin's goal celebrations.

And honestly, I don't really know what showing the media that he gave a damn has to do with anything. Screw the media, it's how the locker room and coaching staff view you as a captain that matters, and all that's been said is positive from the people who matter.

I'm glad Drury is probably getting bought out, don't get me wrong. I'm just tired of people on this board moaning about how terrible a captain he was when no one has any clue how good of a captain he was or is. Just because he's not shown screaming at his teammates or making guarantees to the media doesn't make him a bad captain. Maybe not winning a Stanley Cup or being a PPG player does, but both of those are and were unrealistic expectations.

Old
06-13-2011, 06:05 PM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:

I don't think people are defending him so much as questioning how people "know" what kind of leader Drury is or isn't with no first hand information to back it up. Leadership only takes teams so far...

Old
06-13-2011, 09:45 PM
polako

Quote:

Drury = Bobby Holik 2.0

Old
06-13-2011, 10:59 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Wait did I miss where Drury did anything for this team even close to what either of those two guys did in his time here? If you can't figure out whether or not Jagr did more for this team then you need a hockey tutor.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:03 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:

Those three words right there. Yea I liked Dru's warrior effort but overall his contribution on the ice was downright pathetic these last years. You cannot lead a locker room optimally by being on the bench and in the locker room all the time. It makes nos ense people are actually defending his leadership on this team. He was a fantastic veteran presence the players have said as much themselves but i'm sorry you lose huge leadership points when you can't get on the ice or contribute AND eat up huge cap that could have helped the team. It doesn't have to be his fault but that's the way it went down and I'm not going to be unfairly critical but I'm not letting the guy off the hook because of some man crush either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
With all due respect, how can you speak of his leadership and attitude? Are you part of the team?

I dont think any of us can speak on that matter and be even 50% sure of our opinion. There are too many moments behind the scenes we just dont see at practice, before and after games, etc.

His play wasnt all that bad either the first couple of years. Sure, his time here can be considered an overall bust when you take everything into account, including any leadership or attitude (good or bad) If thats what you are getting at then so-be it. But again, we really aren't in a position to judge that portion of it.
Same with due respect here you are allowed to form your own rational conclusions based on actual play which is a pretty big contributor to the leadership pie. Now people are probably going slightly overboard but it's obviously transference from all the terrible FA's. he was suppossed to be different. he was suppossed to be this big moment guy and captain and we didn't get it. He dissappointed virtually everyone including I'm sure himself and in the end it was unrealistic to see him as anything mopre than just another overpaid FA who failed the team. He at least put inb an effort though unlike many others. So he dioesn't deserve most people's venom but he damn sure deserves to be criticized if we want to criticize him.

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 06-13-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old
06-14-2011, 02:54 AM
hpNYR
HF Forecaster

Quote:
The Rangers did much more under Jagr's leadership than Drury's. It's that simple. No reason to over analyze this. It doesn't mean Drury hasn't or wasn't a good leader. However, facts are facts.

Old
06-14-2011, 05:39 AM
Chimp

Drury is one of the biggest albatrosses in the league and ends up on most top 3 lists. I don't think you need to say more than that.

If you don't live up to your contract, you're going to receive criticism. If you're lightyears away from living up to your contract, you will receive truckloads of criticism, especially if you're on a team with actual goals and expectations.

Nothing strange about this. When he's gone, good riddance. Nothing personal, he just happened to bring pathetic bang for the buck.

Old
06-14-2011, 06:09 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Buyout period begins Friday. Not Wednesday.

Old
06-14-2011, 06:13 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Buyout period begins Friday. Not Wednesday.
Good then I expect to hear Sat that we have waived Drury? That would have to be the first move yes?

Old
06-14-2011, 06:47 AM
NHRangerfan
enfoonts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpNYR View Post
The Rangers did much more under Jagr's leadership than Drury's. It's that simple. No reason to over analyze this. It doesn't mean Drury hasn't or wasn't a good leader. However, facts are facts.
Leadership and performance two very different things...no question that Jagr outperformed Drury, anyone who would argue otherwise needs to see a shrink.

If we use the criteria set forth by many posters here then the last 4 seasons of his career Messier was a terrible Captain.

Old
06-14-2011, 06:56 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRangerfan View Post
Leadership and performance two very different things...no question that Jagr outperformed Drury, anyone who would argue otherwise needs to see a shrink.

If we use the criteria set forth by many posters here then the last 4 seasons of his career Messier was a terrible Captain.
K but this is about overall. You really wanna do overall Dru, vs Mess or vs Jagr? C'mon it's one thing to preach fair evaluation but this is getting ridiculous the lengths people are going

Last edited by JimmyStart*: 06-14-2011 at 07:02 AM.
Old
06-14-2011, 07:45 AM
JanErixon20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chimp View Post
Drury is one of the biggest albatrosses in the league and ends up on most top 3 lists. I don't think you need to say more than that.

If you don't live up to your contract, you're going to receive criticism. If you're lightyears away from living up to your contract, you will receive truckloads of criticism, especially if you're on a team with actual goals and expectations.

Nothing strange about this. When he's gone, good riddance. Nothing personal, he just happened to bring pathetic bang for the buck.
Drury should never have been given that contract. He was doomed from the start. He was NEVER going to live up to it.

Closed Thread