HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
t3hg00se

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
nothing wrong with it at all.

then again, it still makes no sense from a professional hockey player standpoint. none whatsoever.

this guy is preparing for a career playing professional ice hockey yet when you read what he says, it sounds like hes trying to get a degree while playing hockey. i mean heck, hes not like some schlub whos playing hockey as a means to go to school and get his degree knowing he'll never make money playing the sport. this guy has millions sitting there. waiting for his signature. hes a first rounder for gods sake.

look at mike richter. highly intelligent, high end athlete. playing his sport, achieving a stanley cup, finishing his career, getting his degree and starting his second career.

makes total sense. i respect mike for how he went about it. but this stuff from kreider makes no sense. none. this just delays his development and for what, another year of college life.

sign the freekin contract bro. we all understand how important it is to you and your familiy that you get your degree but nothing stopping you from doing that. later.

right now you need to focus on your professional career as an ice hockey player drafted in the first round and sign the contract thats sitting there.

enough of this crap.

theres a very fine line between fear and caution, between desire and going and getting something. between confidence and self doubt. not sure where chris kreider is in that realm but hes sure giving me pause.
Really couldn't have put it better myself.

Nothing would stop Kreider from getting his degree later, and probably from a more prestigious school. Kreider can get a career ending injury this year, what then?

It would have been a safer and more intelligent to sign the contract now. I really can't understand Kreider's decision from any angle I look at it. But hey, the kid wants to stay in school, fine. To each his own. I hope the decision was for the best.

t3hg00se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:12 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

BC's 2nd summer school session begins on June 27

Quote:
BC UNDERGRAD SUMMER SESSION
Boston College schedules two six-week sessions: May 16-June 23 and June 27-Aug 5.
http://www.bc.edu/schools/summer/

He went to Slovakia for the WC and took his finals after coming back when most of the other students had already taken their finals.

He could make up the first week of the 2nd session to attend prospects camp.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Someone let him know he can finish his uselessdegree in the hockey offseasons.

He probably just wants to stay in college because of a girl
Stuff like this really needs to get deleted. Just embarrassing.

I know we all wanted him to sign but he will finally get the chance to be "the guy" for BC this season which will not be the worst thing for his development.

HatTrick Swayze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:23 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hg00se View Post
Really couldn't have put it better myself.

Nothing would stop Kreider from getting his degree later, and probably from a more prestigious school. Kreider can get a career ending injury this year, what then?

It would have been a safer and more intelligent to sign the contract now. I really can't understand Kreider's decision from any angle I look at it. But hey, the kid wants to stay in school, fine. To each his own. I hope the decision was for the best.
Did you guys not read this part of the article?

Quote:
The numbers matter to Kreider, who says perhaps the single biggest hockey reason he will remain at school is because he feels he can dramatically improve upon his 23-point freshman season and 24-point sophomore season. He has 26 goals in 70 career college games, but is certain he is capable of so much more even though the college teams stick to a four-line rotation more than most other leagues.

"What I really want to focus on now is my consistency," he said. "I think that's the most important thing and with that just kind of improve on everything that I have been improving on. I almost sounded like a broken record whenever I said that I've got to do the 'little things'. But I think I've figured out what those were and I think I've improved on them a lot."
He doesn't think he's ready. About the World Championships, he said:

Quote:
"I felt much more comfortable," Kreider said of his second time around at Worlds. "It was night and day. The year before it was really eye-opening. I wouldn't say I was nervous so much as tentative at times. ... I really probably wasn't ready. This year, though, I was learning even more on ice, because I was getting a lot more ice-time and I was a bigger part of the team.”
Sounds to me that he doesn't want to be thrust into a situation where he feels overwhelmed and wants to improve his game so when he does make that jump, he's confident that he's ready and has the tools to be successful.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:26 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post

He doesn't think he's ready.
I think what can give a call for concern though, on that aspect, is that Gordie and the Rangers have been telling he is ready going on two years now. The coach wants to coach him. You have these professional hockey minds telling him as a 19 year old he's ready for professional. Could be nothing, but the other side of the coin is it could be something. confidence issue, issues with the organization. It's not very reassuring.

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Hey WolfGaze, I just saw a Kreider video on YouTube uploaded by WolfGaze22, not sure if that's you but I assume it is. It's the breakaway goal against BU. Man, look at that ****ing speed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXb81YtSmi4

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I think what can give a call for concern though, on that aspect, is that Gordie and the Rangers have been telling he is ready going on two years now. The coach wants to coach him. You have these professional hockey minds telling him as a 19 year old he's ready for professional. Could be nothing, but the other side of the coin is it could be something. confidence issue, issues with the organization. It's not very reassuring.
I don't necessarily believe the organization feels he's ready to play for the Rangers, but I think they would prefer to have him in Connecticut playing for the Whale where they have more influence on him rather than staying at BC. So for me, it's not so much that the Rangers have this need for him on their roster, and they're asking him to join them, and he's not obliging or anything like that, it's more of an issue of where he's going to play until he reaches that point where the Rangers do feel they could insert him onto their NHL roster.

Regarding confidence issues, that might be fairly normal for a kid who's coming from a Prep school hockey program where he dominated against his competition because of his size and strength. He's spent the last 2 seasons learning to play a complete game, a team game. I do like Chris' comments about needing to improve his "consistency" because that's spot on with what I've seen from him in games also if you look at how his points have been distributed over his NCAA career. He hasn't been consistent. You have to believe reading his comments about his first World Championship experience, that in the back of his mind, he may be a little bit nervous/apprehensive about the level of play at the NHL in relation to where his game is currently at, so I can understand him wanting to refine his game and feel fully prepared for that "jump" when the time comes.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-13-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old
06-13-2011, 05:32 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Hey WolfGaze, I just saw a Kreider video on YouTube uploaded by WolfGaze22, not sure if that's you but I assume it is. It's the breakaway goal against BU. Man, look at that ****ing speed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXb81YtSmi4
It is my video, but it was filmed off my Blackberry camera from a DVR recording on my TV, and subsequently, it makes the video look a bit grainy and sped up. There's a real time video recording of the same game, and it doesn't look as fast, but the play was impressive nonetheless.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:

He doesn't think he's ready. About the World Championships, he said:

Sounds to me that he doesn't want to be thrust into a situation where he feels overwhelmed and wants to improve his game so when he does make that jump, he's confident that he's ready and has the tools to be successful.
Did anyone ever think that maybe he wants to drive up his ELC contract by getting big minutes and possibly improving upon his point number. I don't think that is the case, but possibly he feels that if he can put up 40 points or so, he'll get a better contract than if he signed off of his 23 and 24 point seasons...

Old
06-13-2011, 05:33 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
It is my video, but it was filmed off my Blackberry camera from a DVR recording on my TV, and subsequently, it makes the video look a bit grainy and sped up. There's a real time video recording of the same game, and it doesn't look as fast, but the play was impressive nonetheless.
Anyway you can find me the real time feed of the game?

Old
06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Did anyone ever think that maybe he wants to drive up his ELC contract by getting big minutes and possibly improving upon his point number. I don't think that is the case, but possibly he feels that if he can put up 40 points or so, he'll get a better contract than if he signed off of his 23 and 24 point seasons...
Eh, I'd guess the Rangers were prepared to offer him a pretty big contract regardless

I think he just feels he needs to do better, and that's not a stretch. It would be nice if he turned pro , but another year is not big deal if it means he puts things together and becomes the dominant player his physical tools say he can be.

Some of you guys need to cool it just a little bit...it's not that big of a deal, Kreider has work to do and he knows it, and it seems he's comfortable working on it at the college level

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:38 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyrfan444 View Post
Stuff like this really needs to get deleted. Just embarrassing.

I know we all wanted him to sign but he will finally get the chance to be "the guy" for BC this season which will not be the worst thing for his development.
With his talent he should have been "the Guy" for the past 2 years except his coach decided the older players get to play more. Nobody on the club could have went to the WJC and did what he did, nobody on that team could have went to the WCs and looked like one of the best players on the team.

He should have gotten out of there the first chance he had.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
DM23BK30

Hockey East is sucking. The competition fell off from a few years back.

If Kreider dominates HE next year, it's not a good gauge.

I swear this is why Jerry York is one of the best coaches of all time. He's a master recruiter and he somehow manages to keep his kids for three and four years.

Can you imagine if he coached Kevin Stevens and Leetch? 1989 would have never happened LOL

DM23BK30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:42 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Anyway you can find me the real time feed of the game?
Try this link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG80M4RnTQ0#t=2m32s

Old
06-13-2011, 05:46 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Thanks! Regardless, he has such a great stride and speed. His stride will only get better... Imagine if he worked one summer with Barb Underhill. OMG

Old
06-13-2011, 05:49 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyBasedNYC View Post
Disappointing from a Hockey fans pov

Kudos from an intellectual pov

Downright stupid from a Die hard Rangers fan pov

It depends on how you want to look it at. This definitely takes balls and it tells us this is a different type of kid we are dealing with here. Could be a bad thing, could be a very very good thing. Obviously, it would be in all parties best interests from a hockey standpoint that he play in Juniors or AHL. While It doesnt seem like that is going to happen in the very near future, you cant write the kid off right away and say its a terrible decision.

Everyones path in life is different. Kreider seems like he knows what he wants and is sticking to his guns. Hopefully thats a sign of the passion and determination that will grow as he gets older. Can't force the kid to do something he doesnt want to do, then his heart wont be completely in it. I just hope for his sake he doesnt take too long and runs out of time. He should be signed next year and he can finish his degree in the summers to come if thats what really important.

If he is truly a smart kid he should understand all this and i think he does. Who knows he might feel that this is a part of his life that is very short and he wants to enjoy it. Someone has to be very mature to recognize that if thats the case. Look at Del Zotto, still very young with a ton of promise, but even after a full 2 years around the NHL team theres still no guarantee of success. Sometimes development could be forced and come too soon. We'll see how it goes but i have to respect his and his family's decision.

Sucks for us to have to wait another year and fret and debate over if Chris is actually going to become the player we all think he can be though. Sometimes thats what the selfish fan has to swallow unfortunately. As long as he doesnt turn into a Wheeler then im cool with it. We've waited all thios time for the Cally's. Dubi's and Ani's to develop, its not the end of the world to wait a little longer for Kreider...
Pretty much where I'm at.

What Kreider seems to really be about is integrity. He's his own man which is great to see....even if I don't totally agree with the course he's taken.

At this point to have him pull a Wheeler or as some would have an Erixon....would just blow my mind.

I just hope we're not sitting here in January wondering why he's not getting the proper ice time.

Pizza is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Machinehead
Tampa Bandwagon

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Someone let him know he can finish his useless degree in hockey offseasons.

He probably just wants to stay in college because of a girl
Nah you can do way better with the ladies as a member of the Rangers. Just look at Del Zotto's numbers.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:22 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
Nah you can do way better with the ladies as a member of the Rangers. Just look at Del Zotto's numbers.
Maybe he's in looooooooooooove

Old
06-13-2011, 06:23 PM
Machinehead
Tampa Bandwagon

Quote:
Maybe he's in looooooooooooove
At 20?

Old
06-13-2011, 06:24 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kreider's former BC teammate Jimmy Hayes who left school after his junior year to sign with the
Hawks

Quote:
Greenmen sitting 4 seats away from me at bruins
http://twitter.com/#!/Jimmy10Hayes/s...90595691044864

Quote:
#goBOScup
http://twitter.com/#!/Jimmy10Hayes/s...45004786626560

Quote:
@Mr_Larmz10 that's a ballsy statement. #localkid #hometownteam. #goBOScup
http://twitter.com/#!/Jimmy10Hayes/s...05696683843584

Tell Stan Bowman about his player rooting for his hometown team to win the Cup.

Hayes is also attending summer school at BC

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:25 PM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

I dont know if this was posted in the thread yet, but Kreider was highlighted today in the Prospect series they are doing on rangers.nhl.com

http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:25 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machinehead View Post
At 20?
Ya never know! She could be his highschool sweet heart

Old
06-13-2011, 06:26 PM
OverTheCap

Spreading rumors about Kreider staying in college due to a love interest? Same BS was spread on these boards last summer about McDonagh. Let's try something more original this time, shall we?

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 06:28 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
Spreading rumors about Kreider staying in college due to a love interest? Same BS was spread on these boards last summer about McDonagh. Let's try something more original this time, shall we?
We're not spreading rumors lol. He has a girlfriend that he's had for a while now and we're just making fun...

Old
06-13-2011, 06:29 PM
Machinehead
Tampa Bandwagon

Quote:
We're not spreading rumors lol. He has a girlfriend that he's had for a while now and we're just making fun...
Yeah it's all in good fun...but those hearts are kinda creepin me out