HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Off Season Thread. Trade Spec/GM Mode - Part III

Closed Thread

Old
06-13-2011, 04:13 PM
Vanek20
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
Statistically wise, Kostitsyn has better career stats than Laich...and guys are suggesting to give laich 4-4,5M per....passssss. I prefer to give that money to a proven D (ehrhoff, bieksa, wiz)

Old
06-13-2011, 04:21 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post
Statistically wise, Kostitsyn has better career stats than Laich...and guys are suggesting to give laich 4-4,5M per....passssss. I prefer to give that money to a proven D (ehrhoff, bieksa, wiz)
Brooks Laich is better overall. Kostitsyn has no game when he doesn't have the puck on his stick while Brooks Laich is one of the good 2-way fowards in the NHL and a great PKer.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Brooks Laich is better overall. Kostitsyn has no game when he doesn't have the puck on his stick while Brooks Laich is one of the good 2-way fowards in the NHL and a great PKer.
Laich is a solid two-way player who would be a valuable addition if he didn't come in for rediculous numbers but Kostitsyn isn't a one-dimensional player anymore. He's a good fore-checker brings a certain amount of physical play and has improved his back-checking enough to develop a decent two-way game.

Montreal would want Laich in many ways because he is like Kostitsyn rather than different. Laich does have a better power and defensive game but Kostitsyn probably has better even strength offense but they are not so different as you'd think.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:38 PM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain G View Post

His stats are virtually the same. Kostitsyn's might be slightly better, but Laich is bigger, compete's harder, play's any role. Even strength, PP, PK, checking line. And he can play centre, or wing. Both wings.

Old
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
habitants9_4

trade

Would a trade like this work:

Pouliot and a 4th for Versteeg...and then put Versteeg on the third line with Eller and Kostitsyn...This way we get rid of Pouliot...Philly saves 1.4 million and gets a feasable replacement for the third line with potential given the right linemates

Old
06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Personally, I'd like the habs to trade for Brouwer, then sign Kopecky.

Basically, Kopecky on the 3rd line would make us deeper and give Eller/Desharnais a more consistent player to play with who hits and loves to go to the front of the net and cause trouble. Hard worker, too. The only problem is if he wants to leave his buddy Hossa.

Old
06-13-2011, 06:46 PM
S Bah

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitants9_4 View Post

Pouliot and a 4th for Versteeg...and then put Versteeg on the third line with Eller and Kostitsyn...This way we get rid of Pouliot...Philly saves 1.4 million and gets a feasable replacement for the third line with potential given the right linemates
I would feel really hesitant trading Pouliot to the Flyers,I can foresee the headlines in the future playoffs.Pouliot and French Connection linemates(Briere,Giroux)put finishing touches on the playoff hopes of Eastern rival Montreal Canadiens.

Old
06-13-2011, 06:53 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

Why on earth would we want another 3 mil guy for our 3rd line. If Versteeg can't play top 6 in Toronto we want no part of him.

I'd be interested in Hartnell if they are willing to move him even though he's a bit of a greaseball.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Personally, I'd like the habs to trade for Brouwer, then sign Kopecky.

Basically, Kopecky on the 3rd line would make us deeper and give Eller/Desharnais a more consistent player to play with who hits and loves to go to the front of the net and cause trouble. Hard worker, too. The only problem is if he wants to leave his buddy Hossa.
Chicago is probably tight to the cap again, I doubt they can afford 1.5-2 mil for a guy like Kopecky.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:14 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Chicago is probably tight to the cap again, I doubt they can afford 1.5-2 mil for a guy like Kopecky.
Kopecky will be a UFA where as Brouwer is a RFA if we traded 2 or 3 NHL ready and cheap players for Brouwer and nego. rights to Kopecky. Chicago would probably listen. Brouwer is probably expecting between 2.5 to 3m and I'm not sure Chicago wants to pay that. I don't think they want to have 2 or 3 players on the roster who aren't ready for the NHL.

Old
06-13-2011, 07:33 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsrule22 View Post
Kopecky will be a UFA where as Brouwer is a RFA if we traded 2 or 3 NHL ready and cheap players for Brouwer and nego. rights to Kopecky. Chicago would probably listen. Brouwer is probably expecting between 2.5 to 3m and I'm not sure Chicago wants to pay that. I don't think they want to have 2 or 3 players on the roster who aren't ready for the NHL.
As a RFA Brower probably gets about what Pouliot did last year 1.3-1.5 mil. I doubt he gets 2.5-3 mil/year unless they sign him for 3-4 years.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:01 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
As a RFA Brower probably gets about what Pouliot did last year 1.3-1.5 mil. I doubt he gets 2.5-3 mil/year unless they sign him for 3-4 years.
I think he will get over 2m. The Chicago board expects him to be gone. They have about 8m (with the expected cap increase) and have to sign Frolik and Campoli and a goalie. That will take a big chunk out of that, so he should be available. An option could be to slide Andrei up to Pleks line and have a third line of
Kopecky - Eller - Brouwer.
Eller - 6'2" - 200lbs - 90 hits
Brouwer 6'2'' 215 lbs - 260 hits 18 goals
Kopecky - 6'3" 205 lbs 80 hits 15 goals

Could be a pretty good line. big boys for sure.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
I think he will get over 2m. The Chicago board expects him to be gone. They have about 8m (with the expected cap increase) and have to sign Frolik and Campoli and a goalie. That will take a big chunk out of that, so he should be available. An option could be to slide Andrei up to Pleks line and have a third line of

If we were to add those guys, I'm pretty sure one of them would end up with Cammp and Plekanec. Those are the types of players we need though.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:53 PM
SB164

Quote:
Laich made 2.1m last year, and looking at the Wash. blogs. There really isn t much discussion about Laich. Washington want to do changes so he might become available.
If anything, Washington needs more guys such as Brooks Laich.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
If we were to add those guys, I'm pretty sure one of them would end up with Cammp and Plekanec. Those are the types of players we need though.
You would Kopecky or Brouwer up with Pleks ahead of Andrei?

Old
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
SB164

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhysicX View Post
I'm having a hard time understanding all the hype with Brooks Laich as well macavoy. I didn't watch many Washington games (every Habs one though), however he's never really impressed me. And playing him on our first line with Plekanec and Cammalleri? I personally don't see him fit on that line... Sure he's a big body and good on both ends of the ice, but... Maybe it's as simple as him not being skilled enough for those two guys. Isn't one of our biggest problems (besides injuries) 5 on 5 scoring?
Selective memory much?

Old
06-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
You would Kopecky or Brouwer up with Pleks ahead of Andrei?
5 on 5 yes, he has good chemistry with Eller...but those things can change 25 times during the season. Nobody has the absolute same lines for 82 games.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:28 PM
danyhabsfan

Quote:

philly traded a 1st and a 3rd for him and theyd trade him for Pouliot and a 4th?

Old
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
habsrule22

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
philly traded a 1st and a 3rd for him and theyd trade him for Pouliot and a 4th?

Times were different, that was at the trading deadline. Plus Philly is a difficult position. Your not gonna get market value when the other team knows you need to make a trade.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

List of UFAs I'd like

Potential to play in the top 6.

Brooks Laich - Guy with size, hands to finish and goes to the front of the net. Having him and Pacioretty would add a new element to our already dangerous powerplay.

Tomas Kopecky - Another guy who goes to the front of the net. Likes to play a little bit chippy, mostly with the chirping and seemingly hitting effectively, but not very often as you would like for someone who's 6'2 (or 6'3)

Ville Leino - A guy who seemed clutch in the playoffs. Has size, but uses it in the corners to win puck battles and sometimes in front of the net. Not a big hitter, but seems to step it up a bit in the playoffs. Is another player who would frustrate during the regular season, but make you forget about it come playoff time,

Tim Connolly - Tremendously skilled guy who throws the body, but you might be more likely to have glass being thrown at jagged rocks not break compared to this guy. Played around 75 games this past season iirc. Could make us more dangerous 5 on 5 play with sheer skill, but would be a risk.

Simon Gagné - Seems to be a guy who comes through when you need him. Isn't always in front of the net, but likes to hang around that area. Whether it's coming in to poke home a loose puck, or a few feet out to rip it top self.

Scottie Upshall - Has speed, physical and can be a bit of a **** disturber. Might be forced to overpay for his services, but could be very valuable in the added dimension he brings.

Bottom 6 forwards

Brad Winchester - 6'5 hits, fights and can score. Add a player like him and I bet Travis Moen turns into the player we saw in Anaheim with back up in Winchester and White. It's hard to try and play your game of being a tough guy with no backup when you're relied upon to protect the team, essentially by yourself.

Zenon Kenopka - A tough guy fighter who brings a unique skill for a player of this type with his ability to win faceoffs. Very useful and for a team that's "Puck possession" you need to win faceoffs.

Raffi Torres - Has proven effective and would most likely be our token player to take stupid penalties if my boy Pouliot is dealt. Could help create the first actual energy line for the habs in a long time.

Mike Rupp - 6'5, penalty killer who can fight and has those hands to score some goals. Adds toughness, size, and reinforces our pk.

Alternatives:

Kris Versteeg - Struggled and was hated in Toronto as he was expected to produce in the top 6. In Montréal, he would be on the 3rd line. It's a hockey mad city, too but having the fans not expect better could really help him.

Why does Philadelphia deal him ? Cap casualty.

Troy Brouwer - Won't be as likely to be dealt as Versteeg, but very well could be another victim of the cap. Could get around 2 millish, maybe even more depending on his agent Brouwer could be on the market. Throws a bunch of hits and knows he really only needs to fight to defend himself and/or a teammate. Can score and will go to the front of the net, but worries me is him getting Latendresse syndrome (aka thinking he's a great goal scorer and backing into the slot)

Jarret Stoll - More than likely not available, but he'd bring a player who got over 100 hits last season. Had 63 percent in the facoff circle. Scores and plays the pk and can play the pp if need be. Wouldn't come cheap and might have to wait until the year after and sign him as a ufa, but could be a very good player.

D to look at.

Obviously there's Andrei Markov and James Wisniewski, but others just in case

Kevin Bieksa (If Wiz isn't signed) Basically adds a little more hitting and toughness, but might take away in the points department, but not drastically. There's no point in having both these guys on your team as they both suck defensively.

Christian Ehrhoff/Joni Pitkanen (If Markov isn't signed) Ehrhoff is like a poorer version than Markov, but a little more tougher and not as good defensively. He has a big shot and can make smart passes, but not as effectively as Markov. Pitkanen is a quiet guy who probably wouldn't like playing in a pressure packed city, but if we did get him he'd be a frustrating guy. He'll be complete crap some games, other games you'll think this guy is a top 3 d in the league. He seems to be somewhat consistent in having solid games, but those roller coaster ones do come in.

Jim Vandermeer or Shane O'brien as 6th/7th d.

Vandermeer is a really tough guy. Not the most skilled of players, so he could be easily exposed against skilled players, but if the game starts getting chippy you'll be thankful he's on your team. O'brien became a fairly stable dman for Nashville. IIRC, he had over 100 hits and blocks, which is what you like from your d. He's no weakling himself, but does get angry quite easily which leads to him taking stupid penalties. A coach like Martin who isn't very talkative to his players (as it seems) would cause O'brien to become very useless very fast, but if Muller stays, that might be able to help him stay calm and do the right thing.

Alternatives:

Greg Zanon or Clayton Stoner - Zanon is another one of those 100 hits, 100 blocked shots (though, I think he's 150 and 150.+) he's a solid guy. Will fight, but only if it's a must. Would help Price and our defense first ways. Stoner, we saw in the Minnesota - Montréal game, can be a very physical player. Seems to be a tough customer willing to go when he wants to. Get him to tone it down a bit and could be a very useful player for the habs and either one of these players could help in supporting a 2nd waive of shutdown d.

There are alternative players we can get, too. Like, instead of Pyatt, get Sjostrom. He's just as fast (imo), just as offensively inept, but he's more physical.

Old
06-14-2011, 07:23 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post

Not saying they would do that deal...but his value will be a lot lower than it was at the deadline. GM's overpay the closer it is to the deadline, plus he struggled to play top 6 in Toronto and again in Phillie(11 points in 27 games). I doubt anybody would pay a 1st rounder(or comparable value) for him right now.

Old
06-14-2011, 07:28 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Ideally I would like to see us find a way to move Spacek(adding a pick or B prospect) and signing Vandermeer or O'brien as a #6-7 guy. Plus trading Pyatt and signing a Konopka(I think he'll be overpriced), Winchester, Eager, Rupp(probably re-signs in Pittsburgh), Hodichuk, etc as #12-13 forward.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:03 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

Quote:

That would give us an amazing top 9

Cammy-Pleck-A Kost
Pacthes-Gomez-Gio
Kopecky-Eller-Brouwer

A.Kost-Kopecky can both play LW and RW, so you can change things up in the top 6 if needed.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:33 AM
Protest the Hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
UFA Wish List
Great post, I pretty much agree with everything here. Personally I don't really want our Defensemen fighting, even though our D squad gets younger next year we don't need them in the box for extended periods of time.

Kopecky and Brouwer are on the top of my list, with guys like Winchester or Rupp as my top choices for a big mean-ish guy so long as they can keep up with the play. Raffi Torres would fit in so well with our team, but would probably be less effective without a bigger guy to back him up.

I like Gange too, but it all depends on how much he plays for. I don't see him putting up top 6 numbers on this team, but if he signs for cheap, he and Kostitsyn could theoretically alternate places in the lineup.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:05 AM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R Superstar View Post
Opinion not fact.

Captain G was stating facts and you are countering with opinions.

Closed Thread