HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Off-Season Talk: Who Comes And Who Goes

Closed Thread

Old
06-08-2011, 09:51 PM
I Am Beat You

vCash: 500
From now on when we talk about Ehrhoff, we must call him "turtle".

Old
06-08-2011, 09:54 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

I've always liked Schneider, looks a little more stable mentally than Lu.

But but but someone told me Erhoff was tough

Old
06-08-2011, 10:12 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Bernier is my first choice but I wouldn't complain about Schneider. Bieksa and Ehrhoff I have no interest in. The 4th goal tonight is why I don't want Bieksa, that was ****ing terrible. Lucic took him to school on that.

Old
06-08-2011, 10:13 PM
TBLHoser

Haven't seen anyone in a 'nucks uniform playing anything considered 'tough'.

Sedin sisters thinking about the upcoming prom or what?

Old
06-09-2011, 09:09 AM
nhljohnson

Anybody expecting an overhaul of the Lightning's defense are probably going to be sorely disappointed.

As ideal as re-tooling the backline might be, this probably isn't the year for it given the contractual obligations to the blueline already on the books (Ohlund, Kubina, Hedman and Clark) and there being an RFA (Lundin) whom in all likelihood will be re-signed. That leaves, at minimum, 1 spot to fill, unless SFY makes a trade or doesn't re-up Lundin. Those are possibilities, sure, but I think it's far more likely the Lightning will re-enter the season with what they already have + Lundin + Brewer/mid-tier free-agent replacement and if further tweaks are deemed necessary or desirable, I'd expect Yzerman to strike at or before the trade-deadline when approximately 2/3 of the target's salary and cap hit has been paid and accumulated by another team.

This, IMO, is the far more realistic view of what the Lightning will do this off-season. I expect the real overhaul to come in 2012 when Kubina's and Clark's contracts come of the books. Barring Hedman having a breakout season offensively, the Lightning will have approximately $5 million in cap space and salary to reallocate at the very position of "need".

Last edited by nhljohnson: 06-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.
Old
06-09-2011, 09:29 AM
Drouin2Stamkos

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post
Anybody expecting an overhaul of the Lightning's defense are probably going to be sorely disappointed.

As ideal as re-tooling the backline might be, this probably isn't the year for it given the Lightning's contractual obligations to the blueline already on the books (Ohlund, Kubina, Hedman and Clark) and the fact that we have an RFA (Lundin) whom there is no reason to believe will not be brought back. That leaves, at minimum, 1 spot to fill, unless SFY makes a trade or doesn't re-up Lundin. Those are possibilities, sure, but I think it's far more likely the Lightning will re-enter the season with what they already have + Lundin + Brewer/mid-tier free-agent replacement and if further tweaks are deemed necessary or desirable, I'd expect Yzerman to strike at or before the trade-deadline when approximately 2/3 of the target's salary and cap hit has been paid and accumulated by another team.

This, IMO, is the far more realistic view of what the Lightning will do this off-season. I expect the real overhaul to come in 2012 when Kubina's and Clark's contracts come of the books. Barring Hedman having a breakout season offensively, the Lightning will have approximately $5 million in cap space and salary to reallocate at the very position of "need".

Dont think anybodys expecting an overhaul. I think people are expecting some pieces to be added to the D. Honestly the defense didnt play as bad as advertised last season. Thats more credit to Bouchers system I think though. The players bought in and played hard.

Old
06-09-2011, 11:55 AM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Downie View Post
Bernier is my first choice but I wouldn't complain about Schneider. Bieksa and Ehrhoff I have no interest in. The 4th goal tonight is why I don't want Bieksa, that was ****ing terrible. Lucic took him to school on that.
How so? Sure he's no Shea Weber and I might be a little biased (not too hard given that there are only a handful of skilled German players in the league and that Ehrhoff is probably the most talented of the bunch) but he would be an instant upgrade over every single defenseman we currently have on the roster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhljohnson View Post

As ideal as re-tooling the backline might be, this probably isn't the year for it given the contractual obligations to the blueline already on the books (Ohlund, Kubina, Hedman and Clark) and there being an RFA (Lundin) whom in all likelihood will be re-signed. That leaves, at minimum, 1 spot to fill, unless SFY makes a trade or doesn't re-up Lundin. Those are possibilities, sure, but I think it's far more likely the Lightning will re-enter the season with what they already have + Lundin + Brewer/mid-tier free-agent replacement and if further tweaks are deemed necessary or desirable, I'd expect Yzerman to strike at or before the trade-deadline when approximately 2/3 of the target's salary and cap hit has been paid and accumulated by another team.

I agree and it's actually not a bad thing: 2012 is the year Ryan Suter and Brent Burns will become available.

Old
06-09-2011, 12:54 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
I've always liked Schneider, looks a little more stable mentally than Lu.

But but but someone told me Erhoff was tough
I personally don't remember anyone saying Ehrhoff was "tough". I recall saying that he's willing to throw his weight around every now and then, and I still stand by that assessment. He might not knock the other guy over, but he's still a somewhat willing checker that keeps forwards honest.

Being tough doesn't necessarily mean he has to fight. Not to mention the fact that the guy challenging him was 2 inches taller, a middleweight fighter and had 12 more fights than Ehrhoff this year.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:10 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
I personally don't remember anyone saying Ehrhoff was "tough". I recall saying that he's willing to throw his weight around every now and then, and I still stand by that assessment. He might not knock the other guy over, but he's still a somewhat willing checker that keeps forwards honest.

Being tough doesn't necessarily mean he has to fight. Not to mention the fact that the guy challenging him was 2 inches taller, a middleweight fighter and had 12 more fights than Ehrhoff this year.
Not you bro, no worries. This was a nucks fan talking about facing us in the finals.

Old
06-09-2011, 02:35 PM
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genius Brian Lawton View Post
Not you bro, no worries. This was a nucks fan talking about facing us in the finals.
Ahh I tend to make that mistake often I believe we had the discussion about Ehrhoff and whether or not he takes the body, which led me to assume you were referring to me calling Ehrhoff tough in your original post.

Old
06-09-2011, 06:34 PM
The Fear Boners
Plz stop pucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mile High View Post
Ahh I tend to make that mistake often I believe we had the discussion about Ehrhoff and whether or not he takes the body, which led me to assume you were referring to me calling Ehrhoff tough in your original post.
Naw, naw... in hindsight I should have thought of that, then again, I am a steaming moron.

Old
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
LightningStrikes
SFY

vCash: 0
Quote:
Aportzline Aaron Portzline
#CBJ have signed D Grant Clitsome for two years, $2.5 million to avoid UFA. He'll make $1.1 million in 2011-12 and $1.4 million in 2012-13.
http://twitter.com/#!/Aportzline

Old
06-10-2011, 02:57 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Damn.

Old
06-10-2011, 04:13 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hocke...cle1174633.ece

Quote:
None of Tampa Bay's 12 restricted or unrestricted free agents has been told he will not return next season, Yzerman said. But he admitted, "I probably can't bring everybody back."

That said, "I've told a few guys I've got a few contracts I've got to do first before I can make a decision on you."
Also,
- SFY intends to offer Brewer a contract.
- Priority of signing new guys comes after signing the old guys.
- Vinik promised SFY mo' money.

Old
06-10-2011, 06:31 PM
Doctor Drej
Unregistered User

Mo' Money Mo' Problems?

Not for SFY.

Old
06-11-2011, 03:54 PM
JFleegs

erlendssontrib Erik Erlendsson
#tblightning 2010 1st round pick Brett Connolly confirms he has signed his entry level contract, but team has not made the deal official

http://twitter.com/#!/erlendssontrib

Old
06-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

I love how the media DaVinci codes things.

Watch how 'Brett Connolly signing his ELC' becomes connected into 'SFY is going to trade Stamkos'.

Old
06-11-2011, 05:56 PM
chasespace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felonious Python View Post
I love how the media DaVinci codes things.

Watch how 'Brett Connolly signing his ELC' becomes connected into 'SFY is going to trade Stamkos'.
'Contract cannot be finalized until they clear out Stamkos' contract to cover the potential bonuses in Connolly's ELC.'

Did I do good?

Old
06-12-2011, 05:16 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice...ews-this-week/

Quote:
UFA updates: Not a lot to report. As expected, the Penguins and C Craig Adams reached terms this week. Word is that C Max Talbot and RW Pascal Dupuis are asking for term the Penguins don't want to match -- four years for Talbot, three for Dupuis. As for C Mike Rupp, there is a growing sense that he believes the open market will be very kind to him financially. Shero is adamant about keeping all three players, but he is in no position to overspend by even $100,000 on any of these guys. Even if the cap goes to $62 or $63 million, the Penguins will be up against it
You know who else plays for the Pens?

Old
06-12-2011, 09:12 PM
TBLHoser

What is the status of Nabokov these days....is he now a FA or does someone hold his rights?

Old
06-12-2011, 09:19 PM
BoltSTH

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucLight View Post
What is the status of Nabokov these days....is he now a FA or does someone hold his rights?
Isles tolled his contract so they own his rights.

Old
06-12-2011, 09:49 PM
TBLHoser

Any chance that Richards might take a 3-year contract?

Old
06-13-2011, 03:16 PM
chasespace

Per TBLightning twitter
Quote:
The Lightning have re-signed d-man Mike Vernace to a one-year contract today.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:30 PM
ultra63

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Per TBLightning twitter
Stevie fooled us by saying Stammer/Brewer were his prioroities

Old
06-13-2011, 06:16 PM
Felonious Python
Purple Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasespace View Post
Per TBLightning twitter

My actual argument, besides not being NHL quality, is why they would do this before the draft. They don't know who they're going to have then. (I'm thinking along the lines of picking another Gudas type overage player)

Last edited by Felonious Python: 06-13-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Closed Thread