HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders 5th Overall in play

Old
06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
Crimson Skorpion
HFB Partner

vCash: 500
Awards:
Impact player =/= Eller, Pouliot, Tinordi, Palushaj, Kristo, Leblanc, Spacek, Gomez.

Packaging two or three of those, along with the 17th pick, does not make a sweet deal either. If Habs want the 1st or the 5th, it will be for either Subban, Price or Pacioretty, or a package of two of them and the 17th.

Those three players are impact players.

Want to write for us? Head to lastwordonsports.com/writeforus and apply!
Crimson Skorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:46 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
Ha! I wish! 5.272M a year until he's 37. That's actually not that bad a deal. I don't see him being the kind of player that will ever devolve into an average player. As i said before, i would offer Eller and our 2011 and 2012 first rounders, or Eller, Weber, and this years first rounder. Maybe Leblanc could be a trading piece too. All i know is that Carter would solve a lot of our problems--i.e. he could be a guy to turn Cammy into the 40 goal guy we all know he can be, or do the same for Patches.

Interesting article by Hindle about why next year Gomez's contract could be much simpler and cheaper to buy out than this year, and not just because his salary goes down:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Steve...tion/139/36356

Gotta say this Hindle guy is really on the ball.
Carter is shoot first, if anything he'd decrease our top 6 wingers production.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Ha! I wish! 5.272M a year until he's 37. That's actually not that bad a deal. I don't see him being the kind of player that will ever devolve into an average player. As i said before, i would offer Eller and our 2011 and 2012 first rounders, or Eller, Weber, and this years first rounder. Maybe Leblanc could be a trading piece too. All i know is that Carter would solve a lot of our problems--i.e. he could be a guy to turn Cammy into the 40 goal guy we all know he can be, or do the same for Patches.

Interesting article by Hindle about why next year Gomez's contract could be much simpler and cheaper to buy out than this year, and not just because his salary goes down:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Steve...tion/139/36356

Gotta say this Hindle guy is really on the ball.
Carter is a shooter, not a playmaker...not sure how he would turn cammy into a 40 goal scorer.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
PATCHESx67

Huberdeau will be gone before that

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:53 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Yeah but a team in the Habs position doesn't usually deal it's top sniper for an 18 year old. Plus, I doubt the Islanders would do that, they probably want a young NHLer on a cheap contract like Subban, Pacioretty or Price.
I think they would most definitely consider Cammy to play with Tavares. Granted they don't spend too much, the young guys on the team who were just re-signed are getting paid peanuts. And since their goal is to make the playoffs, their internal cap will be a little bit higher.

DekeLikeYouMeanIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:58 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Listen I saw Huberdeau play like most of you guys and he is ready to step into the NHL now. He in my opinion is the Guy that is the most ready and he could be our franchise Center for years to come.... Think about it.... And with the Cap we save B.Richards is a possible option.
Huberdeau is a winger..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:00 PM
habspinner

Who would be that awesome at #5?

I don't know, I'd rather we did everything we could to land some talent for now, not give up talent we have now for talent that may be later.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:05 PM
RoyBoyCoy
Habs and Rugby

Quote:
Originally Posted by habspinner View Post
Who would be that awesome at #5?

I don't know, I'd rather we did everything we could to land some talent for now, not give up talent we have now for talent that may be later.
The one of Larsson/RNH/Huberdeau/Landeskog/Couturier that would fall to 5th. Or you then trade down to 6th and take Strome or 7th and take Zibanejad.

RoyBoyCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:20 PM
LyricalLyricist

Wtv. I'd love it but we don't have an available asset that fits their needs.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:28 PM
JohnLennon

I don't get why some of you want these top 5 picks. We don't need to trade assets for top picks right now. Our needs are not anywhere near top picks.

JohnLennon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Carter is a shooter, not a playmaker...not sure how he would turn cammy into a 40 goal scorer.
Cammy doesn't necessarily need a better passer to play with, just a guy that creates more space for him.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:38 PM
Jabba11
Hockey Lobby

Seriously, drafting Huberdeau should make him happy...he can finally speak in french..god he seems so uncomfortable speaking in english loll

I'd do the trade..depending if either Couturier, Landekog or Huberdeau is still there..otherwise we shouldn't trade up for Hamilton or Larsson. Here's my proposal:

To MTL:
5th overall pick

To NYI:
Cammy
17th overall or 2012 1st round pick(we should be able to go far in the series with Markov, Gorges, Pacioretty all healthy and "signed")

Jabba11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:42 PM
Garry Valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
i would do cammy for the fifth in a heartbeat, don't think that garth snow would.
You'd trade a bonafide 30 goal scorer for a 5th? That's nuts. Chances we get a player close to Cammy's calibre are slim to none. No way we make a trade like that. Cammy isn't old. And he's got 3 years left on his deal. He's not going anywhere.

Garry Valk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:54 PM
shutehinside

I would never trade a proven playoff performer and leader like Cammy for a player who "might" be as good, one day.

I think our 1st, AK and another prospect is more than enough and more than I'd pay for a 5th in a shallow draft.

Just a recent reminder but Benny P, Brule, Evander Kane, Filatov, Turris etc have all been drafted in the first 6 spots and I wouldn't trade AK by himself for any of them. Draft picks have potential but no guarantees. No use throwing away the farm on a hope and a dream imo.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Bopp

It is a trade I'd make on the floor if Huberdeau is still there.

This Kid will be a superstar! If you look at the numbers he scored this year and the CLUTCH goals he scored throughout the season, the playoffs and the Mem Cup.

He was the best player on a powerhouse team and he was only 17 years old.

Special players have a way of stepping up when the their team needs them the most in the most important situations. Huberdeau is a special player.

Ever since we have heard about getting a french superstar in Montreal... this is the opportunity!!!!

If you don't get him now, you never will.

Bopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:59 PM
JaymzB

Quote:
Originally Posted by shutehinside View Post
I would never trade a proven playoff performer and leader like Cammy for a player who "might" be as good, one day.

I think our 1st, AK and another prospect is more than enough and more than I'd pay for a 5th in a shallow draft.

Just a recent reminder but Benny P, Brule, Evander Kane, Filatov, Turris etc have all been drafted in the first 6 spots and I wouldn't trade AK by himself for any of them. Draft picks have potential but no guarantees. No use throwing away the farm on a hope and a dream imo.
Bah? You wouldn't trade AK for Evander Kane? Are you serious?

JaymzB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Cammy doesn't necessarily need a better passer to play with, just a guy that creates more space for him.
Carter isn't a guy that likes the dirty areas or plays "big". He's a 5'11" 180lbs guy trapped in a 6'3" 200lbs body.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:07 PM
macavoy

Don't trade Cammy, trade Gio

Gio is exactly what NYI need imo.

macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM
Andros777

Quote:
Carter isn't a guy that likes the dirty areas or plays "big". He's a 5'11" 180lbs guy trapped in a 6'3" 200lbs body.
He's a threat to score though and that would create space for Cammalleri. It's hard to score when the other team knows you're the only one on your line who can shoot.

Andros777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM
shutehinside

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymzB View Post
Bah? You wouldn't trade AK for Evander Kane? Are you serious?
Yes I am. Kane hasn't proven he is or can be better then AK. At this point it's basically a wash between them.

Point is, would you trade AK, a 1st and a high prospect i.e. Tinordi, Leblanc or Eller for Evander Kane?? I wouldn't and that's what the likely hood of drafting at the 5 spot is, especially in a shallow draft.

shutehinside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'd gladly trade Cammalleri and the Habs' first pick for the Islanders' first and second picks and I'd throw in the negotiating rights to Wisniewski (which the Islanders could turn around and trade).

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andros777 View Post
He's a threat to score though and that would create space for Cammalleri. It's hard to score when the other team knows you're the only one on your line who can shoot.
So is Plekanec and he's a better passer and defensive player than Carter.

We need a winger that can forecheck and drive the net, not another shooter.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:18 PM
habspinner

Quote:
Yes I am. Kane hasn't proven he is or can be better then AK. At this point it's basically a wash between them.

Point is, would you trade AK, a 1st and a high prospect i.e. Tinordi, Leblanc or Eller for Evander Kane?? I wouldn't and that's what the likely hood of drafting at the 5 spot is, especially in a shallow draft.
No way - Evander Kane is going to be a force in this league. Remember he's 20 in August - he was a 19 year old all of last season, and an 18 year old before that.

Kostitsyn can be good, he was very good in his first full season, he has been a disappointment since though.

Kane had 43pts in his second season as a 19 year old. Kostitsyn had two seasons better than that, and one of those was 45pts. I would trade a lot more than Kostitsyn for Evander Kane. A lot more.

habspinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:20 PM
Kovatar

5th pick

Trading Cammy for a 5th is insane. Like a previous user said, he is clutch in the playoffs. Montreal is close to being a cup contender and parting with Cammy will push us back 2/3 years. A reasonable offer for NYI's 1st is Mtl's 1st and 2nd + Kristo + Pouliot. Nothing more.

Kovatar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:

I agree with your point but Evander Kane doesn't belong in that class. Kane is exactly the type of young player the Habs could use....speed, goal scoring ability, built like a horse, great along the wall. He has impact player written all over him.

Again, I do agree with your point though. The folkd on this board overrate draft eligible players in a big way.....it's the same thing ever year....just take it with a grain of salt. If we did trade up to draft Huberdeau, they'd want us to trade him in 3 years for a top 5 pick just because his development is going through some growing pains like most 20 year olds.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote