HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Why is Luongo a Vezina Trophy Finalist...

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-13-2011, 07:47 PM
  #1
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Why is Luongo a Vezina Trophy Finalist...

So he has given up 15 goals in in Boston so far, only one period into game 6 and was pulled for the 2nd time this series... Every time he lets up an early goal, the guy cracks under pressure and coughs up goals like no tomorrow. (As I'm posting this, they score and make it 4-0...) So, why the hell is this guy a finalist for the Vezina...

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:48 PM
  #2
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 50
Blame Canada.


Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:49 PM
  #3
JeffMangum
not sure if HF or FB
 
JeffMangum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Listening to music
Country: United States
Posts: 56,223
vCash: 300
1. Playoffs do not affect Vezina votes
2. His stats in the regular season were stellar

Pretty much why.

__________________

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:50 PM
  #4
Groot
I am Groot.
 
Groot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Ridge, New York
Country: United States
Posts: 5,347
vCash: 500
As someone else said in the other thread he plays for the best team in the NHL.

Groot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:54 PM
  #5
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrik4vezina30 View Post
As someone else said in the other thread he plays for the best team in the NHL.
Exactly, IMO if he wasn't on a stacked Canucks roster, he wouldn't be anything whereas Lundqvist holds the Rangers in every game. Luongo hasn't done anything to deserve a Vezina

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:25 PM
  #6
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him
 
nyr2k2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 23,065
vCash: 500
Awards:
It's a regular season award. The playoffs have nothing to do with it.

Yes, Vancouver is a great team. Was Florida a great team when he was there? No, but Luongo was still great. He's a very good goalie going through an awful stretch.

nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:31 PM
  #7
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's a regular season award. The playoffs have nothing to do with it.

Yes, Vancouver is a great team. Was Florida a great team when he was there? No, but Luongo was still great. He's a very good goalie going through an awful stretch.
Still, having that crazy offense scoring goals for him every game and that crazy defense, any goalie could be a Vezina finalist on the Canucks unlike (Not trying to be a homer but it is a great example) Lundqvist who has to get this team into the playoffs every year and puts up crazy numbers doing it.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
  #8
DrSutton*
Given Up
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 2,093
vCash: 500
Luongo is a very good goalie...but he is not a GREAT goalie

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:05 PM
  #9
StaalWars
TeaOrrCoffey
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,172
vCash: 500
Because the people that vote for this award (the NHL GM's) are not always the sharpest tools in the shed.

StaalWars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
  #10
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers
 
Ih8theislanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bronx,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 13,465
vCash: 500
Price/Hank are much more deserving, but neither of the 3 will win so w.e.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:26 PM
  #11
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart
 
Kel Varnsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,102
vCash: 500
Because the way Jim Hughson says, "Great save Luongo!" sticks with you so much that people start associating "great save" with "Luongo" and so start to think he's a better goalie than he actually is.



After listening to that next time you hear or think of Luongo you think, oh yeah the great save guy. And that's where you're objectivity is gone and you find yourself voting for Luongo and not Lundqvist as a Vezina finalist.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:10 AM
  #12
NYRangers16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Westchester
Posts: 1,047
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StaalWars View Post
Because the people that vote for this award (the NHL GM's) are not always the sharpest tools in the shed.
Lundy leads the NHL in shutouts and us to the playoffs and doesnt even get a nomination - pretty much why the post-season awards are worthless. They mean nothing because they are based on favoritism and past accomplishments.

NYRangers16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
  #13
vipernsx
Flatus Expeller
 
vipernsx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 6,518
vCash: 566
Because he makes 10m so he must be really really good.

vipernsx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:43 AM
  #14
district9
Registered User
 
district9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
luongo's a great goalie, he was a top 5 draft pick and while he hasn't lived up to the hype he had when he was first drafted he's still been consistently great. i wouldn't call him elite, he was definitely not on the level of thomas, hank, or price this year, but he's been great.

district9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:07 AM
  #15
OverTheCap
Registered User
 
OverTheCap's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 9,623
vCash: 500
Luongo is probably one of the most mentally weak goalies in the league. He falls apart when he's not in the comfort zone of his home arena. If he lets in a bad goal or two in succession, that's it, the floodgates have opened and he can no longer give his team a chance to win.

If he wasn't such a headcase and had a modicum of mental toughness, Luongo would be an elite goalie. He looked like he was about to **** his pants during the Olympic gold medal game.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:08 AM
  #16
NYROrtsFan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,931
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
It's a regular season award. The playoffs have nothing to do with it.

Yes, Vancouver is a great team. Was Florida a great team when he was there? No, but Luongo was still great. He's a very good goalie going through an awful stretch.
Correct... And it's not even like Vancouver has always been a great team since he's been there.

Luongo is great and he's going through a rough spot. All of the greats have them, regardless of sport.

NYROrtsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
  #17
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner
 
That Stepan Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 1,553
vCash: 500
1. He's got an interesting name.
2. He led in wins
3. He had a good W/L
4. He had a good S%
5. He had a good GAA
6. He's Canadian
7. He makes funny faces
8. He's Canadian
9. He plays on the best team
10. His name is still cool
11. He's still Canadian
12. You can make lots of arguments for and against him
13.
14.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:19 PM
  #18
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Exactly, IMO if he wasn't on a stacked Canucks roster, he wouldn't be anything whereas Lundqvist holds the Rangers in every game. Luongo hasn't done anything to deserve a Vezina
Really? People listen too much to the people that bash this guy. He is a great goalie, now and has been for years. Talk about staked teams, i remember a few years ago how he kept the Canucks in games making 50 saves, and was a wall, but no one talks about that. Stop listening to reporters trying to make a story were there is none.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:21 PM
  #19
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,119
vCash: 500
Regardless of what he's been throughout his career, he has been a horror show in these SCF.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
  #20
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Really? People listen too much to the people that bash this guy. He is a great goalie, now and has been for years. Talk about staked teams, i remember a few years ago how he kept the Canucks in games making 50 saves, and was a wall, but no one talks about that. Stop listening to reporters trying to make a story were there is none.
A few years ago isn't 2010-2011. Vezina trophy is for the season, not a career trophy. So that argument makes no sense. He has done nothing to deserve being a finalist. Lundqvist or Price are much more deserving of it.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:23 PM
  #21
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
luongo's a great goalie, he was a top 5 draft pick and while he hasn't lived up to the hype he had when he was first drafted he's still been consistently great. i wouldn't call him elite, he was definitely not on the level of thomas, hank, or price this year, but he's been great.
But for his whole career he is elite.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:26 PM
  #22
satrabyk
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,865
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
A few years ago isn't 2010-2011. Vezina trophy is for the season, not a career trophy. So that argument makes no sense. He has done nothing to deserve being a finalist. Lundqvist or Price are much more deserving of it.
I made that argument because the guy before me added that he is on such a stalked team as if to say that is why he has any chance. I want to enlighten him that Luongo kept teams like Fla and Van in the past in many games. Ill be honest i havent watched Van to often this year but when i do i dont see any reason to say he does not deserve to be a Vezina Finalist. He is on a high pressure team that finished first overall, and unless he has become a different goalie than which i usually watch, i dont see any sense to your argument.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
  #23
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
But for his whole career he is elite.
That has nothing to do with being a Vezina Finalist for THIS YEAR

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
  #24
Fleury4ever
Registered User
 
Fleury4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Washington, DC
Country: United States
Posts: 1,028
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
Exactly, IMO if he wasn't on a stacked Canucks roster, he wouldn't be anything whereas Lundqvist holds the Rangers in every game. Luongo hasn't done anything to deserve a Vezina
No way to prove this.

When Luongo was on a decidedly 'non-stacked' Florida roster he was badass and put up sick save percentages while playing a ton of games.

Fleury4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
  #25
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
I made that argument because the guy before me added that he is on such a stalked team as if to say that is why he has any chance. I want to enlighten him that Luongo kept teams like Fla and Van in the past in many games. Ill be honest i havent watched Van to often this year but when i do i dont see any reason to say he does not deserve to be a Vezina Finalist. He is on a high pressure team that finished first overall, and unless he has become a different goalie than which i usually watch, i dont see any sense to your argument.
Compare him to Lundqvist or Price. He is on a stacked roster that pots goals for him and plays amazing defense. He can let in 3 goals and still get a Win because his offense scores 5 goals. The Rangers didn't score at all this year and Lundqvist had 11 shutouts, 3 or 4 of which were 1-0 Wins. Then you see him stand on his head against Washington in the 1st round. Price did the same thing for Montreal. He held his team in many games this year. Luongo receives TOO much credit. he can receive credit, but has received way too much credit being on Vancouver's loaded roster.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.