HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Islanders 5th Overall in play

Old
06-13-2011, 09:26 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

vCash: 500
The draft isn't that strong for top-end talent. Of course picks will be in play.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Some people are under some misguided belief that trading for a Huberdeau or Couturier would get us a Crosby type player.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:37 PM
durojean

i'd trade Plekanec in a heartbeat for one of Huberdeau or Couturier. I wouldn't trade Cammy tho.

But, if the Flyers offers Carter, we can't do anything that would rival that offer.

I think it would be genius for the flyers to trade Carter, sign Bryzgalov and get Couturier

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
Born in 1909
Hockey Royalty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovatar View Post
Trading Cammy for a 5th is insane. Like a previous user said, he is clutch in the playoffs. Montreal is close to being a cup contender and parting with Cammy will push us back 2/3 years. A reasonable offer for NYI's 1st is Mtl's 1st and 2nd + Kristo + Pouliot. Nothing more.
Cammy is Con Smythe material on the right team.

Born in 1909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:42 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
i'd trade Plekanec in a heartbeat for one of Huberdeau or Couturier. I wouldn't trade Cammy tho.

But, if the Flyers offers Carter, we can't do anything that would rival that offer.

I think it would be genius for the flyers to trade Carter, sign Bryzgalov and get Couturier
You'd trade our best two-way player (Plekanec) for someone who skates like Radek Bonk (Couturier)?

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
Bill McNeal

Just look at players who have been taken 5th overall in the past... They're not all Jagrs.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:44 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post

Wow trading a proven player for a potential player. Glad you aren't our GM.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
durojean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Guy View Post
You'd trade our best two-way player (Plekanec) for someone who skates like Radek Bonk (Couturier)?
Plekanec is not that great. He's good at the beginning of the season but when the level of play augment, he's just a shut down center.

I don't think he can create offence by himself and Couturier has a lot of chance to be better than him.

I'd even say that given the time... Desharnais coul be better than Pleks in a lot so long futur.

Plus, the value of Pleks is high at the moment, so it's the good time to trade him.

durojean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:54 PM
la25ecoupe

Let's go for it, it's time to draft another Carey Price. How about Carey for the 5th?

la25ecoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:07 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

I would be willing to part with Plekanec for their 5th. I know its a huge risk, but it would open up cap space to go after a replacement, like Richards while adding an impact player down the road.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
HabsSlappy

Sometimes it makes sense to trade a proven player for a 5th pick. Depends on the team. For Philly it would make sense. They could sign a goalie and get a great prospect and they have the forward depth to lose Carter. It is the cycle o life in salary cap era.

The Habs are not in that position. We don't have many young impact Forwards right now. We can't afford to give away Cammy because we have Nobody to fill the void.

Now if we could trade Cammy for a first and second and then sign Richards... My tone would change.

HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:12 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I would be willing to part with Plekanec for their 5th. I know its a huge risk, but it would open up cap space to go after a replacement, like Richards while adding an impact player down the road.
Sorry, but that's a horrible idea. The only guys that could conceivably replace Plekanec would be Richards and Jokinen. If you get neither you take a huge step backwards in order to get a player that won't contribute anything meaningful for 3-4 years.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
Sorry, but that's a horrible idea. The only guys that could conceivably replace Plekanec would be Richards and Jokinen. If you get neither you take a huge step backwards in order to get a player that won't contribute anything meaningful for 3-4 years.
I was thinking just Richards, and I know its a huge risk, but we need to take a risk to get to the next level. If we miss out on Richards, we are obviously in a bit of trouble as Gomez becomes our best center, and who knows how he will rebound next season, and Eller's offence is a big question mark, but the payoff is huge.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Pierre Dagenais
RIP Mr. Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsSlappy View Post
Sometimes it makes sense to trade a proven player for a 5th pick. Depends on the team. For Philly it would make sense. They could sign a goalie and get a great prospect and they have the forward depth to lose Carter. It is the cycle o life in salary cap era.

The Habs are not in that position. We don't have many young impact Forwards right now. We can't afford to give away Cammy because we have Nobody to fill the void.

Now if we could trade Cammy for a first and second and then sign Richards... My tone would change.
Totally agree with you. Philly can afford to lose Carter for a high pick because they have depth at forward that we don't have.

For your second point, there is no way to predict if Richards will actually sign here so you're taking a huge gamble. If he doesn't, then we are left with a huge hole at forward with the loss of Cammalleri.

Pierre Dagenais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Schooner Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
I was thinking just Richards, and I know its a huge risk, but we need to take a risk to get to the next level. If we miss out on Richards, we are obviously in a bit of trouble as Gomez becomes our best center, and who knows how he will rebound next season, and Eller's offence is a big question mark, but the payoff is huge.
What makes you think Richards has any desire whatsoever to come to Montreal when he can write his own ticket? Besides, he's going to get Gomez money.

Schooner Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:43 PM
Habs Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayatollah Chowmeini View Post
i would do cammy for the fifth in a heartbeat, don't think that garth snow would.
SO just so I understand... You want to trade one of our top 6 forwards and our top player in the playoffs in a draft with with good talent and lots of potential, for a player who won't be ready to play here for another 1, 2, 3 years???

Great idea....

Habs Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
What makes you think Richards has any desire whatsoever to come to Montreal when he can write his own ticket? Besides, he's going to get Gomez money.
I am not saying by any means it would be a lock, just that its worth considering.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:26 PM
Prairie Habs

If Siemens is available at 8 I would make a huge push for him. I see him play all the time in Saskatoon and he would make a great one two punch with PK plus he has good size (6'3 200 with plenty of room to fill out).

Prairie Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:28 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBoyCoy View Post
So the 1st, 5th and 8th are all allegedly in play? Should be a fun draft

Much like the 1st, I don't think we have the assets (that we'd be willing to trade) for the 5th.
Deep draft, are teams going to be willing to trade the assets to get those picks?

If Huberdeau or Couturier is still there at #5, does Montreal make an offer to the Isles for that pick to get the potential Quebec Star???

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:30 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
Deep draft, are teams going to be willing to trade the assets to get those picks?

If Huberdeau or Couturier is still there at #5, does Montreal make an offer to the Isles for that pick to get the potential Quebec Star???
What can we realistically offer. i want to hold onto Tinordi,Pacs and PK.I don't see anything else we have doing it.

jlgib21* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:33 PM
RE-HABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by la25ecoupe View Post
Let's go for it, it's time to draft another Carey Price. How about Carey for the 5th?
No thanks. And I hope that was sarcastic!

I would trade our pick and add a top prospect like Tinordi, Kristo or Leblanc, they are good players but this pick is going to be way better than those two (hopefully) and add a top player not named Price or Subban.

RE-HABS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:35 PM
Andy

We don't have the assets to make this trade and whatever ones we could offer would hurt us more in the long run imo.

Won't happen.

Andy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:49 PM
Roulin

The Habs are not rebuilding, so will not pony up what it will cost to acquire a top 8 pick in this draft. I'm thinking the Flames might want to go after the Isles' pick by offering one of their veteran stars? But not the Habs.

Roulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:50 PM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap10bfl View Post
i want nothing to do with couturier
Why not? I ask this seriously, as I don'T follow Jr Major that much.

Max et Guillaume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:57 PM
S Bah

Quote:
I agree with your point but Evander Kane doesn't belong in that class. Kane is exactly the type of young player the Habs could use....speed, goal scoring ability, built like a horse, great along the wall. He has impact player written all over him.

Again, I do agree with your point though. The folkd on this board overrate draft eligible players in a big way.....it's the same thing ever year....just take it with a grain of salt. If we did trade up to draft Huberdeau, they'd want us to trade him in 3 years for a top 5 pick just because his development is going through some growing pains like most 20 year olds.
I agree with your point also,I remember in 2009 before the Entry Draft,I said go after Evander Kane he'll be a great power forward.Now I live on the west coast and knew how tough Kane was but,people told me that I didn't have a clue what I was talking about.They read stats and going on his size at the time I understood what had happened.This is common for all these stat hounds to say they know all about players they have never seen.Kane has of course proven them all to not have a clue,so when I suggest a trade believe me I know what I'm talking about.Valuing players that haven't played one second in the NHL compared to players that have isn't so easy,lots of draft picks with the big Star labels have failed miserably in the NHL.The further into the draft the bigger the chance the player selected can be a bust.So when a team is picking #5 or #8 or #17 the opportunity to stink the place out gets bigger.To trade a player of Cammalleri's stature for a #5 this year isn't really bright,let alone throwing in our #17 and a prospect.Good God people get a grip on yourselves there's a sale in aisle #17!

S Bah is offline   Reply With Quote