HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

(Hockey Buzz article) Carter to Edmonton

Old
06-13-2011, 04:34 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DumpyD View Post
I know he's up there statistically, but rarely do you hear his name brought up and held to such high regard.
I don't really care if the media wants to notice him or not, so long as he continues producing.

edit: Carter probably would have had 40 goals this season if our PP had been anything close to competent. Briere might have been close as well.

Last edited by Beef Invictus: 06-13-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:50 PM
DumpyD

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't really care if the media wants to notice him or not, so long as he continues producing.

edit: Carter probably would have had 40 goals this season if our PP had been anything close to competent. Briere might have been close as well.
You're arguing Carter would be statistically better if the PP was better. I'm arguing Carter could tweak his game and not only make himself and the PP inherently better, but make the Flyers a tougher team to play against.

In summary: meh.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:51 PM
Ghost of Downie*

I think a lot of people also forget that Carter is a great defensive player as well. Richards is still better, but I hear way too much that all Carter does is wait for the puck to come to him, skate down the wing, and shoot at someone's ankle.

Ghost of Downie* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 04:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
You're arguing Carter would be statistically better if the PP was better. I'm arguing Carter could tweak his game and not only make himself and the PP inherently better, but make the Flyers a tougher team to play against.

In summary: meh.
Touche. Beginning last season and continuing into this season he noticeably began spending more time in front of the net, fishing for dirty goals. Hopefully he continues to improve at it.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:18 PM
MsWoof

Quote:

Ultimately, Carter probably won't get moved because his size would be sorely missed down the middle.
The only real problem is, besides us fans, Lavi has left him on the wing all season. Carter NEEDS to be put back in at centre but he should have been there in the first place. However, if they still plan on keeping him on wing all the comments about size down the middle will fall on deaf ears.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:39 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Touche. Beginning last season and continuing into this season he noticeably began spending more time in front of the net, fishing for dirty goals. Hopefully he continues to improve at it.
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. If Carter realizes he's the one of the strongest players on the ice at any given moment, he'll earn the praise he's due.

Old
06-13-2011, 05:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor

Quote:
That's pretty much the point I was trying to make. If Carter realizes he's the one of the strongest players on the ice at any given moment, he'll earn the praise he's due.

Old
06-13-2011, 06:00 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
In the whole Carter discussion, I was thinking about best use of him if he is a Flyer next season. I'm more than a little worried about him setting up as the screen for the dirty goals, given his injury history (as in bad luck more than in risk of re-injury). I'd rather put JvR or Hartnell on a line with Giroux and Carter: Giroux controls the puck, JvR/Hartnell sets the screen, and Carter plays sniper at the hash marks.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:29 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
In the whole Carter discussion, I was thinking about best use of him if he is a Flyer next season. I'm more than a little worried about him setting up as the screen for the dirty goals, given his injury history (as in bad luck more than in risk of re-injury). I'd rather put JvR or Hartnell on a line with Giroux and Carter: Giroux controls the puck, JvR/Hartnell sets the screen, and Carter plays sniper at the hash marks.
Having a hard shot does not make you a sniper.

Old
06-13-2011, 08:40 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
It's amazing really. Cartsiephan (RIP) is gone and another Carter hater surfaces just like that! Funny how life works, eh?

Old
06-13-2011, 08:41 PM
NitHeel
Mucker/Grinder

Quote:
How about having more goals over a 3-year period then anyone other then Ovechkin, Stamkos and Cindy?

NitHeel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:52 PM
boodangleroo28

Love the results Carter has as a player but no one should argue he play with a little more variation and creativity.

boodangleroo28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:04 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by boodangleroo28 View Post
Love the results Carter has as a player but no one should argue he play with a little more variation and creativity.
Absolutely agree with you on this. But the same can be said for so many others, you know Giroux is always going to pass, Kimmo, same thing, Leino, slam on the brakes and spin, Hartnell fall. That's why the PP sucked this year, too much predictability from too many players.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:12 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
It's amazing really. Cartsiephan (RIP) is gone and another Carter hater surfaces just like that! Funny how life works, eh?
I'm a hater because I don't think Carter plays to his strengths? Okay. Continue with your inability to view hometown players with any bit of objectivity.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:14 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Absolutely agree with you on this. But the same can be said for so many others, you know Giroux is always going to pass, Kimmo, same thing, Leino, slam on the brakes and spin, Hartnell fall. That's why the PP sucked this year, too much predictability from too many players.
It is what it is, right? Throw your arms up in the air, shrug your shoulders, and say, "Hey, maybe someday."

Don't be such a Giroux, Kimmo, Leino, and Hartnell hater.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:15 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitHeel View Post
How about having more goals over a 3-year period then anyone other then Ovechkin, Stamkos and Cindy?
You act like stats prove anything in sports.

Start Leighton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:19 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
It is what it is, right? Throw your arms up in the air, shrug your shoulders, and say, "Hey, maybe someday."

Don't be such a Giroux, Kimmo, Leino, and Hartnell hater.
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I started off by agreeing with you on Carter. I added the rest of them because they're just as predictable as he is.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:21 PM
DumpyD

Quote:
Do you have a reading comprehension problem? I started off by agreeing with you on Carter. I added the rest of them because they're just as predictable as he is.
So you're a Carter hater too, apparently.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:25 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
So you're a Carter hater too, apparently.
Yes, I hate everyone everywhere!

Old
06-13-2011, 09:27 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Nazi

Old
06-13-2011, 09:28 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton View Post
Nazi

Old
06-13-2011, 09:38 PM
BernieParent

Quote:

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:08 PM
Coppy
Good Luck Richie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Start Leighton View Post
You act like stats prove anything in sports.
Gee, how do we judge goal scorers? I don't know, maybe by the amount of goals they scored?

Coppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:09 PM
Start Leighton*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coppy View Post
Gee, how do we judge goal scorers? I don't know, maybe by the amount of goals they scored?
Watch the game whoever's name you hear the most is clearly doing the best. I am still confused as to why Jones isn't on the team no more.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:18 PM
Bobblehead

If there is an truth to this 'speculation', there isn't much edmonton can part with that Philly fans seem willing to accept. None of the Eberle/MPS/Hall is going anywhere. I doubt first overall or first next year is going anywhere ( next years draft is supposed to be quite good). Kinda shoots down any of your preferences. Fair enough I won't argue that. What Edmonton does have is a lot of prospects outside the big three.

If you consider the only reason to trade Richards or Carter is to free up cap space....then you're looking at young guys and prospects that you might not be familiar with. I think the Columbus package might be more attractive, but when I see Voracek I can't help but think Zherdev. Here's looking at what Edm might be able to offer, keeping in mind cheap, draft pick or prospect is more important than established NHLer.

Linus Omark....small and great vision (I'm in favor of moving Hemsky to make more room for this guy). Consider how many of you (us) could've picked Ville Leino out of a police lineup? Omark could be a similar find.

Cogliano or Gagner.... Cogliano is cheaper and misused in Edm. He's got wheels, could used a change of scenery, but he's third liner and did I say cheap? He would be a decent depth player and is still young enough that he could develop into a 15-20 goal third liner with wheels. Gagner...don't thinkk oyu're interested in the salary and 40-50 point player. The thing to remember about him though, is he's a only year older than Eberle and has 4 years NHL experience! But maybe he's peaked at 22?

Tyler Pitlick or Chris VandeVelde... both are very good prospects with decent size. Pitlick is a 2nd round pick last year. VV is about 25 years old and likely ready now, but he might not have the higher end potential.

Alex Plante or Curtis Foster or Smid .... Foster has a canon for the PP, isn't too expensive but had a terrible year in his own zone, but then does he really have to worry about his end when he's on with CP? Plante showed well a couple of years ago and was a big time prospect, but I'm not sure he's a sure bet to play NHL. Smid, well he's also still very young with a ton of NHL experience, but he's limited to a 4-6th guy on most teams. Mobile, big, tough but limited...... and cheap.

19th overall pick? 31st overall pick?

Like I said, more questions than positive answers.....how good will Omark be? will the prospect and draft picks ever amount to anything? Two players who immediately step in and add depth for good cap hits. Holmgren would add a $3-4 million in cap hits with those players...that being said, that's too much...you'd need to dump more to sign Bryzgalov...... so you'd have to toss in Carle ? Versteeg? Still I can understand how that wouldn't be appealing since they're not household names. If you're trying to dump salary, you can't expect much back other than picks or prospects...... that's why I think Omark, Cogliano, Pitlick and 19th overall might be enough to get it done.....simply because you can't add much salary and Edmonton not deviating from the rebuild by trading a building block like first overall picks, eberle, hall or MPS, toss Marancin, Petry and Hamilton into that category too.

Remember Boston got crap for Thornto.... Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart..... but also, forgotten was it freed up the $ to get Marc Savard too..... so don't forget trading Richards or Carter.... you'd wind up with Voracek, 8th overall and Bryzgalov or several depth players with potential, a prospect or two and a pick pus Bryzgalov. Not saying I'd do it, just sharing the logic from our side.

Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote