HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
06-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
"I felt much more comfortable," Kreider said of his second time around at Worlds. "It was night and day. The year before it was really eye-opening. I wouldn't say I was nervous so much as tentative at times. ... I really probably wasn't ready. This year, though, I was learning even more on ice, because I was getting a lot more ice-time and I was a bigger part of the team.
Exactly what I thought... I'm very happy to see him going back after reading this. If him getting more ice-time means him learning more and being the go-to-guy, I'm all for it.

CK 2011-2012 = Other teams screaming

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:52 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Bump. I was enjoying talking about Kreider... Let's get this started up again

Old
06-13-2011, 09:03 PM
broadwayblue

So did we trade this worthless bust yet?

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:17 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
I'm going to put this out here for everyone, once and only once:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Site Rules
16) Playing the Role of Moderator: You're not a moderator so don't correct posters as if you were a moderator. If a thread or post violates the rules, use the "Report This Post" button rather than playing the parent. Editorial comments on the value of a thread or post, such as "useless thread", "in before the lock", "this thread should be closed", etc., are not welcome. This also may be considered spam, as it adds nothing to the discussion, and furthermore as thread hijacking and taking the thread off topic. If you don't like a thread and it doesn't break any rules don't reply to it! More often than not, that causes more problems than it fixes. Let us handle what is ours to handle. If you're interested in becoming a moderator you can send your application to moderators@hfboards.com.
If you guys think this thread is ridiculous, then don't read it and don't post in it. If you think a particular post is in any way offensive or inappropriate, report it. DO NOT sit back and demand a thread's closure.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:19 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

If you guys think this thread is ridiculous, then don't read it and don't post in it. If you think a particular post is in any way offensive or inappropriate, report it. DO NOT sit back and demand a thread's closure.
Thank you nyr. Now back on topic, how bout this Kreider kid. Did we trade him yet?

Old
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Its pretty obvious he only wants one more year of development before he feels 100% ready for Pro hockey.

He's accelerating the education so he can obtain his degree early.

He should get it by next summer.

As well as sign his Pro contract next summer.

One last year at BC. A big one hopefully.

He's an upperclassman now. York will use him as THE go-to guy.

NHL rookie at 21.

He will be a more complete player when he signs next summer. There is the silver lining.

Can't wait till he's wearing our uniform at MSG. Patience. This player is going to be good.

And, he wants to be a Ranger. There is no way he screws the Rangers simply because he grew up in Boston.

He is a good kid. He's smart. He's a nice kid.

He isn't a duchy person that would screw over an NHL team.

Patience. Patience. Patience.

One more year.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:47 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Its pretty obvious he only wants one more year of development before he feels 100% ready for Pro hockey.

NHL rookie at 21.

He will be a more complete player when he signs next summer. There is the silver lining.

Can't wait till he's wearing our uniform at MSG. Patience. This player is going to be good.

And, he wants to be a Ranger. There is no way he screws the Rangers simply because he grew up in Boston.

One more year.

*Jersey bought 2 months into his first NHL season as he will already have 20 goals*
Just thought I'd add that

Old
06-13-2011, 09:50 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:

NHL rookie at 21.

One more year.
another thing I noticed in the NYR article was that it mentions Ryan Bourque as his childhood friend. Yeah, they'll want to play together and if anyone should be wanting to be a Bruin, well I bet Ray would not want the pressure to follow in his footsteps, or skate on his son but if anyone should be wanting to be a Bruin, Ryan should. But I suppose dad taught him well in being professional and grateful for every opportunity. He's seen his brother Chris Bourque fail before him and has a great example ahead of himself. That article makes me 99.9999% confident that we will sign him come next summer.

What parts of his game do you think he'll want to be improving on this season?

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:05 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
another thing I noticed in the NYR article was that it mentions Ryan Bourque as his childhood friend. Yeah, they'll want to play together and if anyone should be wanting to be a Bruin, well I bet Ray would not want the pressure to follow in his footsteps, or skate on his son but if anyone should be wanting to be a Bruin, Ryan should. But I suppose dad taught him well in being professional and grateful for every opportunity. He's seen his brother Chris Bourque fail before him and has a great example ahead of himself. That article makes me 99.9999% confident that we will sign him come next summer.

What parts of his game do you think he'll want to be improving on this season?
Just progress overall.

Decision making, be more aggressive at times, just run with it, and remain a disciplined two way player.

This will be the first time since Andover Prep that he will be THE guy.

So, maybe this could work out to be the best decision the more I think of it.

Stepan and McDonagh had that opportunity at Wisconsin to be THE guy.

Staal went back to Juniors and had that opportunity.

Kreider has a lot of things under his belt accumulated over the last two years: NCAA Title, WJC Gold, WJC Silver, Beanpot MVP, two men's WC appearances.

But he never had to be THE guy. Even though he steps up in big game situations.

This year he can emerge as and gain that leadership role at BC. Now that he's out from under the underclassman stigma, not all coaches do, but York leans on seniority. And a lot of the upperclassmen leaders left. Kreider will be a Junior. And be leaned on and expected to be a leader on and off the ice.

So, basically, progress in every aspect is what im looking for. Not just points. But everything overall.

He has progressed rapidly since being drafted. Two years ago he was in high school. Now he's arguably NHL ready.

One more big year at BC. And Kreider will be in New York.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:10 PM
NYR Viper

I have no problem with him staying. He still has more to learn and by going to BC, his development was on a 3-year plan no matter what due to the upper classmen that were there.

Does it suck that we won't be able to see him play in NY? Absolutely. But with the acquisition of Erixon, the Rangers can be very patient with Kreider as they will already have a 1st round pick from '09 in the line-up next season.

He will play 45-50 games in college and hopefully play for the USA at the WC's again next season for a total of 55-60 games. His defensive game has gotten WORLDS better than it was and he is now the type of player who can create offense through defensive stops.

He is not as cerebral a player as Stepan. I would put him in the same category as McDonagh as, physically, he is a monster. McDonagh's return for his junior season was a GREAT decision. He was able to play a ton of minutes and get valuable playoff experience.

Physically, he is ready, just like McDonagh was after his sophomore season. Mentally, I think another year of development will be good for him.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Yeah im starting to feel the upside to his going back to BC for one more year.

Rangers get a more complete player and more mature player, both physically and mentally, next summer.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Jumbo*
TARGET: ACQUIRED

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post

Thank you for posting this NYR.

Jumbo* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:20 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:

Rangers get a more complete player and more mature player, both physically and mentally, next summer.
And then we can hope he goes back for his senior year, that way maybe he can get another degree, and be even more mature both physically and mentally, right? By then maybe he will get 1st line minutes also!

Old
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
"I felt much more comfortable," Kreider said of his second time around at Worlds. "It was night and day. The year before it was really eye-opening. I wouldn't say I was nervous so much as tentative at times. ... I really probably wasn't ready. This year, though, I was learning even more on ice, because I was getting a lot more ice-time and I was a bigger part of the team.”
Exactly what I thought... I'm very happy to see him going back after reading this. If him getting more ice-time means him learning more and being the go-to-guy, I'm all for it.

CK 2011-2012 = Other teams screaming

(I posted this above and got no quotes, I was hoping some people would notice it and realize that him going back to school is a good thing because according to him, he'll learn more getting more ice-time.)

Please quote away and give me your input!

Old
06-13-2011, 10:25 PM
Jumbo*

Quote:

NHL rookie at 21.

One more year.
Why does he need his degree early? Is he that not confident in his hockey skills where he thinks he needs to fall back on something else right away? He can get that degree in the offseason in 2-3 years easily.

He should have been the GO TO GUY his freshman year, he wasnt. Ok, I give York a break since hes a freshman, but then after he dominated the WJCs his first year then dominated the second half of the year in his freshman year York then STILL crapped on him and gave him nothing his 2nd year, thus pretty much stalling his development. Numbers barely improved his 2nd year. Who is to blame on that?

Yes he will be a Ranger, I have no question about that, but he is doing it the wrong way.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:28 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

Quote:

This may sound dumb, but I don't think the focus should be on well-rounding his game...I want to him to develop into the best offensive player possible. This won't be the focus at BC, understandably so.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:32 PM
ocarina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
This may sound dumb, but I don't think the focus should be on well-rounding his game...I want to him to develop into the best offensive player possible. This won't be the focus at BC, understandably so.
I think that part will naturally come with being his team's go-to guy.

ocarina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
Leetch3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Kreider's focus on education, preparation
Elite NHL prospect has clear goals for self as a junior at Boston College
http://rangers.nhl.com/club/news.htm...id=DL|NYR|home
best quote in that article

Quote:
"I tried to play immediately after the injury, which obviously wouldn't have been a good idea," Kreider said. "The trainer basically had to tackle me to keep me from getting to the bench. My response was 'You don't skate with your jaw', but his response was that I didn't want to damage it long-term. I was lucky it wasn't displaced. ... There are no lingering effects except that I have plates in my jaw. That's really about it."
LOL

Leetch3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

No the focus is being the best PLAYER possible.

Paying hockey occurs 90% away from the puck.

A coach like Tortorella especially has no time or patience for payers that can't play the game away from the puck.

The offensive production comes as a by product, when you have that skill. He does.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:41 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Why does he need his degree early? Is he that not confident in his hockey skills where he thinks he needs to fall back on something else right away? He can get that degree in the offseason in 2-3 years easily.

He should have been the GO TO GUY his freshman year, he wasnt. Ok, I give York a break since hes a freshman, but then after he dominated the WJCs his first year then dominated the second half of the year in his freshman year York then STILL crapped on him and gave him nothing his 2nd year, thus pretty much stalling his development. Numbers barely improved his 2nd year. Who is to blame on that?

Yes he will be a Ranger, I have no question about that, but he is doing it the wrong way.
Some NCAA coaches follow seniority. Its just the way it is.

He wants his degree. He worked hard for it. He wants it.

He doesn't owe you or anyone an explanation for that.

You have to wait one year for him to go Pro.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:42 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

I just think playing the full AHL season would've done more mentally for Kreider.

BlueshirtBlitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:46 PM
mrhockey193195

Here's my question though. After one more year of development, he will also be just one more year away from graduating with a degree. Won't he stay for his Senior year?

Can't say I blame the kid, getting a degree is incredibly important. And I'm sure he's absolutely loving life in college right now, what 20 year old college kid doesn't. If I were in his shoes, I'd definitely take the approach of "I can complete my degree after hockey," but I can't fault him for it. Can't deny that I'm personally disappointed though...

EDIT: Nevermind, I should've read the rest of the thread. Question answered.

mrhockey193195 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:37 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Kreider's friends at BC left after their junior year. Hayes and Atkinson. NHL college players leave after their sophomore or junior years. TJ Oshie played 3 years at North Dakota before turning pro and has never played an AHL game. The Blues wanted him to turn pro earlier. Ryan Kesler turned pro as soon as Vancouver selected him in 2003. Left Ohio State after his freshman year and split the following year between the AHL and NHL. JT Miller has a North Dakota commitment and the Plymouth Whalers have his draft rights. He was indicated a willingness to forego college and go play in the OHL if his draft team makes that recommendation. Miller will want a signed ELC to change his mind like John Moore did in 2009 changing his commitment from Colorado College for Kitchener. Everyone is different.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:18 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Here's my question though. After one more year of development, he will also be just one more year away from graduating with a degree. Won't he stay for his Senior year?
Depends on how many classes he takes this year, but there's really no point at all for him to take summer school now unless he's thinking of leaving school after the coming year (or perhaps he's been taking so few classes he's behind, but that doesn't seem to fit with what we know of Kreider).

If he takes summer school now and a bunch of classes this year, he could probably graduate next year, maybe taking summer school again to finish it off. Hard to tell. He can sign a contract with the Rangers but still take classes at school right? He'd just lose his athletic eligibility.

Can't completely shake the feeling that the AHL might be better for him, but I also can't disagree with him about wanting to dominate at the college level first. He feels he has a lot to improve on and a lot to do at the level he's at, and if that's true and it makes him a better player in the long run, then that's fine.

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:26 AM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

if this really is about being more ready and developing and having more confidence and learning to be the go to guy, blah blah blah....

well then, where does all that development happen sooner.

ncaa hockey on a so-so team, playing 40 odd games against mediocre opposition while going to class seeking a degree that might get him a 100k per year job

or

with the whale and perhaps the big club, playing twice as many games against men while receiving professional coaching and learning the systems he will play as a professional from the organization who drafted him in the first round.

chump.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote