HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Where will Christian Thomas play next season?

View Poll Results: Where will Christian Thomas play next season?
NHL 22 17.46%
OHL 104 82.54%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old
06-13-2011, 07:01 PM
Machinehead
Brauch und Stolz

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
On Zuccarello, im still not convinced he will have much of an NHL career.

Why isn't he training with Barb Underhill?

He needs to vastly improve his skating and strength.
Well we can't expect every player to jump on board with her. She's Boyle's coach, not the team coach.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:02 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

My post got deleted but to sum it up;

-He has to come out firing on all cylinders and guns blazing at Traverse City and have a very solid camp plus score some timely goals.

-DON'T call for his head if he doesn't light it up at Traverse City this year. He's now the #1 force on offense and doesn't have a playmaking center. Last year Stepan, Grachev, and whomever were the #1 line so Thomas didn't play against the top paid Dmen and this year he will.

-Unless the Rangers draft a Schiefele, McNeil, or some other center, who is he going to play with at Traverse...Tommy Grant? Hagelin or Wilson can play the other wing but with Lindberg's SEL season starting and no Grachev, Weise, Fasth, Krieder, or MZA at the tournament this year, it's slim pickings up front and him and Hagelin are going to go up against the world.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:10 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Grachev is a more complete player right now.

Thomas needs to get stronger and needs to improve away from the puck as has been mentioned.

Grachev has two years of Pro hockey under his belt. He was asked by the organization to work on his two way game last year, and he did. And he improved his game.

He's physically mature and strong.

Thomas has time.

If he goes back to the OHL is he a "bust" like Kreider?

Different players develop at different rates.

Thomasa skill may be ready but he's not ready physically.

SupersonicMonkey* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:15 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

He would be best-served playing AHL hockey, but he'll likely wind up in the OHL now. I would love it if we could add Thomas to the lineup. It would not be the worst thing in the world to get a 20-25 player.

Centers: Step, AA, Boyle, Christ [Maybe Brad]
LW: Dubi, Wolski, Hagelin/Grachev, Prust [Maybe Prospal]
RW: Gabby, Cally, Zucca, Weise/Thomas [Maybe Feds]

Depending on the performance of Zucca and Weise, and whether Feds is brought back, Thomas may have a decent shot at it.

Last edited by Beacon: 06-13-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:18 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I think management should emphasize on having an elite farm team in which there is no cap that we can use to our advantage. Let Thomas bulk up on his strength and call him up for hopefully the Hartford playoff run.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 07:31 PM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
If a midget like mza can play for us, why can't Thomas? If dstep can play, why not Thomas. Same with McDonough.

These guys came in and produced at a high level fairly quickly. We do not know what will happen but I can tell you this, if he comes into camp and scores goals, And I mean goal scorer goals off pipe and in the corners, he will get a legit look see. As he should.

He will come into camp with an sniper rifle shot. This dude can really bring it and we really have no one who has a gun like this kid. And more than just his shot, he knows where to go and where to be to score. He's a one timer freak who shoots it while backing up as hard as most shoot when they step into it. He's really got a great eye for the net and his shot mechanics are top notch.

I give him a good shot at making the team and playing a lot of pp minutes and getting 5 on5 top 9 NHL minutes.

I'm excited to see what he can do.
I dont think it's a matter of why not him I just think it's more along the lines of there's no rush and he's got a few years of growing into his body so they'll probably opt to give him one more in the OHL. He'll likely get his cup of coffee tho and they'll give him a regimen to work on the deficiencies they see especially defensively (B/c they do D with all their players including gabs). But that PP 1 time ability is a huge x factor for him making it.

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:59 PM
darko

OHL. Hagelin is the only rookie forward making the team next season IMO. No Kreider, Grachev or Thomas.

darko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:31 PM
pld459666

vCash: 873
thinking he's coming to camp think he's going back and gonna play like he has something to prove.

Going to make the team out of camp

pld459666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:41 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Hopefully at least 9 games

DrSutton* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:48 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by darko View Post
OHL. Hagelin is the only rookie forward making the team next season IMO. No Kreider, Grachev or Thomas.
Kreider is going back to BC for one more year.

Grachev has NHL experience. And two years of Pro experience.

Hagelin does not.

Why would Hagelin have a better shot then Grachev? He wouldn't.

Old
06-13-2011, 09:53 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
I think Hagelin's game is NHL-ready. I think Grachev could still benefit from more seasoning in the AHL.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 09:59 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Kreider is going back to BC for one more year.

Grachev has NHL experience. And two years of Pro experience.

Hagelin does not.

Why would Hagelin have a better shot then Grachev? He wouldn't.

I dont think Grachev is ready. Hoping he puts up huge numbers in A. I'd like to see 2 rookie forwards make the team but dont see it, there's probably only room for 1 and I think that'll be Hagelin.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:11 PM
SupersonicMonkey*
DROP THE PUCK

If the argument us that Grachev needs one more year of development. That's fine.

Rangers showing patience with these kids helps a TON.

Hagelin may be ready.

I still believe Grachev will be given an opportunity.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangers1024 View Post
Grachev and Thomas aren't compareable IMO.
Yes they are. They are both young wingers who are trying to make an impact in the NHL. Just because they arent the exact same type of player doesn't mean anything. Thats like saying we can't compare Valentenko and MDZ because they aren't the same type of player. It doesn't matter, they are going to try-out for the same opening.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:21 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
I think Hagelin's game is NHL-ready. I think Grachev could still benefit from more seasoning in the AHL.
I've been back and forth on Grachev and Hagelin. I think Hagelin has a slightly better chance, but they will have to duke it out for a third line LW spot.

Old
06-13-2011, 10:22 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Unless Hagelin adds some muscle this off-season, I don't see him making the NHL out of camp.

I REALLY think its funny how many people are writing off Grachev. This is not totally directed at you nyr2k2, as you never mentioned anything along those lines. But at 6'4 220+ lbs and with his hands and willingness to learn, Grachev has a bright future. Whether these fans have the patience to see it come to fruition is another story.....

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:33 PM
darko

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Unless Hagelin adds some muscle this off-season, I don't see him making the NHL out of camp.

I REALLY think its funny how many people are writing off Grachev. This is not totally directed at you nyr2k2, as you never mentioned anything along those lines. But at 6'4 220+ lbs and with his hands and willingness to learn, Grachev has a bright future. Whether these fans have the patience to see it come to fruition is another story.....

Not sure if this was directed at me. I'm not down on Grachev at all, just dont think he's ready. Some players take longer to develop, Grachev is 1 of them, thats perfectly fine. IMO Hagelin has a better shot than Grachev to make the team out of the camp but I do think Grachev is the next cab of the rank if there is an opening (injuries).

Old
06-13-2011, 10:34 PM
JeffMangum
A Love Supreme

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

You could have all the hands and size in the world, but if the mental aspect of your game isn't there, you will not perform up the levels set by those gifts -- just look at Wolski, for an example -- he has tremendous amounts of talent, and is a sizable player, but he just doesn't think the game well enough to be a truly successful player.

The problems Grachev are more than likely due to his mental game -- whether it's not enough confidence, or just plain lack of hockey sense, we don't know yet. All we can do is hope he performs in camp -- I'm not setting any expectations for him just yet.

#TannerGlass2014
SEEN YOUR VIDEO!
#SheWentToHarvard
JeffMangum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
He would be best-served playing AHL hockey, but he'll likely wind up in the OHL now. I would love it if we could add Thomas to the lineup. It would not be the worst thing in the world to get a 20-25 player.

Centers: Step, AA, Boyle, Christ [Maybe Brad]
LW: Dubi, Wolski, Hagelin/Grachev, Prust [Maybe Prospal]
RW: Gabby, Cally, Zucca, Weise/Thomas [Maybe Feds]

Depending on the performance of Zucca and Weise, and whether Feds is brought back, Thomas may have a decent shot at it.
for some reason Weise i think will be dealt not because he sucks and i hope he makes the team but the waiver rule. he has to make the team or go through waivers...

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:17 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Really Thomas has nothing left to prove in the OHL. Problem is he might not be ready/we might not have room for him with the NHL team. I trust that our organization will make the right call for his long term development. What that will end up being I'm not sure even they know yet.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:36 PM
ThisYearsModel

I think that Christian might hang around after camp breaks, but will end up back in juniors before the 10 game mark. This is completely appropriate. Let him grow and improve there when he begins the season with a bullseye on his back. Let him fight through the checkers and the top defensemen on the OHL. He will then be more likely to be able to handle the jump in 2012-2013.

ThisYearsModel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:36 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

What if Thomas went to the KHL for a season? Very unconventional, but that's what I would do.

The KHL is a good spot for him. It is the second-best league in the world. They focus on skating, positioning and skills, not on physical play by huge hitters.

It would be a good spot for him. He would be challenged, unlike in the OHL, and he would not be overwhelmed, unlike the NHL. And the low level of hitting would be good while he is still physically developing.

But he does have to be willing to go to Russia for 9 months. Could be a cool adventure if he likes seeing stuff.

Old
06-13-2011, 11:40 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
I like Grachev, he'll take a while to develop but I think he may have a slight chance of becoming Krejci.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:42 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerEsq View Post
What if Thomas went to the KHL for a season? Very unconventional, but that's what I would do.

The KHL is a good spot for him. It is the second-best league in the world. They focus on skating, positioning and skills, not on physical play by huge hitters.

It would be a good spot for him. He would be challenged, unlike in the OHL, and he would not be overwhelmed, unlike the NHL. And the low level of hitting would be good while he is still physically developing.

But he does have to be willing to go to Russia for 9 months. Could be a cool adventure if he likes seeing stuff.
I wouldn't call the KHL the second best league in the world, but I do agree the problem is he's basically already beaten the OHL. Problem with going to the KHL or any international size rink league is the bigger size is an adjustment we don't want anyone to make. Would be detrimental to his development.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:43 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Yeah, I'm not down on Grachev either. Just think he stands to gain more getting first line minutes down in Hartford than a guy like Hagelin.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote