HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Favorite all time ranger

Old
06-13-2011, 09:49 AM
OverTheCap

vCash: 500
First favorite and all-time favorite is Richter, followed very closely by Leetch.

My current favorite is Lundqvist. Guess I've got a thing for goalies haha. By the way, a little surprised at the lack of Lundqvist as current favorite, but to each his own, I guess.

Other players I've enjoyed watching through the years: Gartner, Amonte, Graves, Beuk, Zubov, Larmer, Gretzky, Courtnall, Lafontaine, Jagr, Straka.

OverTheCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:07 AM
Bleed Ranger Blue

First favorite Ranger: Pierre Larouche, dont ask me why...I think its because one of my earliest memories is watching him have a great playoff run in 86.

All-Time favorite Rangers: Brian Leetch, and its not even particularly close to be honest

Current favorite Ranger: Lundqvist

Bleed Ranger Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 10:52 AM
babyshamble

I remember growing up in Norway where hockey is a really small sport. We never had cable TV when I was a kid so I never got to watch any games. I became a fan trough Pro-hockey magazines and hockey trading cards. Watching Mark Messier with the Stanley Cup over his head made a big impression on me and he became my favourite player and Rangers became my favourite team. When I started playing hockey I always used #11 on my jersey.

Started watching some games around 2000 and for the last three seasons I have been watching 70+ games every season.

My list of favourite Rangers:

Messier
Leetch
Callahan
Dubinsky
Jagr
Girardi
MZA (for being the first Norwegian Ranger and a former teammate of mine)

After a couple of seasons I think that Prust and Staal will be there as well

babyshamble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:01 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottubber View Post
Jeff Beukeboom, followed by Adam Graves. Favourite Ranger now is Callahan followed by Prust.
Seriously dude, that's what I wanted to say, along with Messier, Graves and Leetch.

Here comes the BOOM!

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:19 PM
free0717

Reijo Ruostelainen. How can you not love him. Just the name. Best skater I have ever seen. Called Plexi Rexi because he loved to shoot one timers off the fly and constantly hit the plexiglass.

Still loved the game he scored a hat trick against the flyers on St. Paddys day. He picks up one of the Plastic green derbys on the ice and puts it on his head while standing on the bench.

Barry Beck grabs one handful of his jersey from behind and just yanks him down onto the bench. Classic stuff

free0717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 12:21 PM
1940rip

Mr Adam Graves. My favorite all-time hockey player. No one gave more of himself than Gravey did in that magical season. I don't think his back ever recovered from that Cup run.

Pre-Cup: Eddie Johnstone. Eddie was like Adam, a hard-nosed player how could also score. Loved EJ.

1940rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 01:56 PM
The Perfect Paradox
Beyond Good and Evil

Leech by a wide margin.

Current favorite is Steal, a majority of the time defensemen are my favorite players.

The Perfect Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 05:58 PM
LordStanleysNeighbor
Rookie User

Considering i missed the '94 cup get by one year, i really cant consider any of those players my favorite all time. But from the seasons i have watched pass by so far in my life, i would have to go ahead and say the King #30, Henrik Lundqvist, is my favorite in my lifetime, but my favorite Ranger in Ranger's history would have to be Mark Messier.

LordStanleysNeighbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 08:34 PM
Leetch66

Ron Greshner . LOL...been a long time...did I spell it correctly ?

Leetch66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:34 PM
Giacomin

My favorite hands down is Eddie Giacomin.
Leetch is a close second

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:29 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion View Post
These two pimps right here..

Anyone remember that ASG btw? Richter must have had about, 117 breakaway saves on Bure.
I think Richter is a borderline Hall of Famer... He was listed at 5-11, but as you can see in this picture, he really wasn't any taller than 5-6 or 5-7. I laugh when current scouting reports on goaltenders emphasize size. Richter proved you didn't have to be big to be good.

Jxmarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:33 AM
we want cup
We do not Sow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I think Richter is a borderline Hall of Famer... He was listed at 5-11, but as you can see in this picture, he really wasn't any taller than 5-6 or 5-7. I laugh when current scouting reports on goaltenders emphasize size. Richter proved you didn't have to be big to be good.
It was a different time. I can't see a goalie of Richter's size or playing style being very successful in today's game.

RANGERS =
we want cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:08 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion Hound View Post
2) Joey Kocur...Brought fear back into opponents when he came to NY. There was a period of time after the Fotiu years where running around and taking it to Rangers players really beacme the official way to beat the Rangers. I will never forget the Jeff Bloemberg incident where Vukots and Bomber just tore up Kris King and Bloemberg at the end of that playoff game. After that game the Rangers brought in Kocur in the off season. He quickly established himself in the East, and in a very short period of time the Rangers were the team imposing its will on the opposition. I haven't seen an enforcer have that effect since. Of course the rest of the team also played bigger. That 94 team was among the toughest Rangers teams of all time. Kocur was a huge factor in it.
Kocur wasn't brought in right away that off-season... Domi was acquired for Nilan in the off-season, and then Kocur was acquired for Kevin Miller afterwards in an in-season trade. But you're right on the mark about Kocur's importance to the '94 team. Neither Fotiu nor Kocur fought as much for the Rangers as their reputations would lead you to believe, but their presence sure gave the Rangers' better players the opportunity to be effective in eras where standing up to physical intimidation was always a huge factor in a team's success.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:44 AM
Jxmarts

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
It was a different time. I can't see a goalie of Richter's size or playing style being very successful in today's game.
I don't watch today's game as much as I watched it during Richter's era, so maybe I'm missing something. I know the game has changed, but I don't see why he wouldn't be successful.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:45 AM
SgtJoseph

Rod Gilbert ! He was truly a class act and a great player back in his time....Got to see him play against my Flyers back in the day, and he was just one of them cats that reeked with greatness....Very smooth player, and just looked like a great leader on the ice.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:48 AM
skymachine

#2....grew up a Rangers fan in the 90s. Hard not to say him, Richter, or Mess.

skymachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:05 AM
dynamoovechkin

All time fave is Kovalev
Henrik Lundqvist a close second
Rod Gilbert
Brad Park
Ron Greshner
Jaromir Jagr
Anders Hedberg
Pierre Larouche

dynamoovechkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:42 AM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
All time favorite is Alex Kovalev

Close 2nd was Tomas Sandstrom

Favorite current Ranger is Lundqvist.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:12 AM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jxmarts View Post
I've met Mike a few times in my life. He's definitely not 5-6 but he certainly isn't 5-11 either.

Mike wouldn't have been the acrobat if he was bigger.

As much as I love him, I can't say he's a lock for the HOF. Not sure if he's even 'borderline'.

I'll take a number of goalies over him without hesitation. Unless it's a game 7. He was as clutch as they come.

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:37 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by we want cup View Post
Timmy Thomas seems to be doing alright.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:26 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Former Rangers: Leetch, Richter, Kovalev, Ruotsalainen, and Tikkanen.

Current Rangers: Lundqvist, Stepan, Callahan, Prust and Anisimov's English.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 05:39 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting36e View Post
All-Time

1)Graves
2)Leetch
3)Richter

Current
1) Lundqvist
2) Callahan
3) Sauer

I interviewed Rod at an event about 2 or 3 years ago. What a gentleman. He could have spoken to me for 2 minutes and brushed me off. At the end of the 5 or 10 minute interview, when I told him how big a fan I was, he stood their talking to me off the record for a good 15 minutes. Gave me some great insight into the editions of the team that I was sadly too young to know. Pat Lafontaine was there, too, and he couldn't have been a nicer guy, either.

I've posted in the past about meeting Graves. I won't go into the whole thing now, but suffice it to say, it was one of the coolest things that has ever happened to me. What a genuinely nice person he is.
This ^ is true.
Have had honor and privilege of breakfasting w/Gilbert, a one time neighbor. Although there is a temptation to think I was encroaching upon his personal time over coffee and a bagel, the man's genuine love for the sport of hockey in general and the Rangers in particular was so obvious, it calmed any fears I might have had about using, not abusing the gift of his time.

I also had pleasure at some function at the Stanley Issacs rink, I believe, to run into both Lafontaine and Graves. Both are a total class act. Very approachable, very generous with their time.

Although it was just a quick hello, my 60 second with Nicky Fotiu at last year's draft did nothing to diminish his status as a favorite among Ranger fans.

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 05:58 PM
bernmeister

As for faves,
all time are Gilbert, Park, Tkaczuk, Giacomin, Villemure, Leetch
Hon. mention Ruostelainen, Cally Dubi Erixon Richter JD

bernmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:31 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpaulo View Post
no question

its Barry Beck

honorable mention to Richter
Beck was always fun to watch. Back in the 70's there was Vic Hadfield.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 03:20 AM
hockeyman001

All time: Messier/Graves

Recent: Bure/Jagr

Current: Gaborik/Callahan

hockeyman001 is offline   Reply With Quote