HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THe Habs were the toughest team the Bruins played -- by a lot

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 08:46 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

vCash: 500
THe Habs were the toughest team the Bruins played -- by a lot

That first round matchup still gives me nightmares. The best, toughest, tensest, most ANNOYING games in the postseason were the 7 against a certain Montreal team. Your team played really well, and the initial matchup was much closer than 3rd-seed-6th seed indicates. The teams were separated by what, 7 points in the season? And each game was close and tense, especially after game 4.

Compare that to the other series my team has played.

Flyers? Pfft, BLOWOUT. They had no chance and it showed.

Lightning? Ehh well they made it close, but the Bruins owned them all the way in game 7. Once it actually got that far, it was pretty clear they were exhausted, they couldn't keep pressure against a good checking system, and their aging goalie finally made the fatal mistake. Compare that to the overtime game 7 in the first round. No contest whatsoever.

Vancouver might win the Cup yet and it will still be a pretty lame series defined by nasty words and nasty actions, not by the play on the ice. That's why the Habs series IMHO was much better than the current one. For the most part both teams are content to leave the series on the ice when the Bruins and Habs meet. Probably because we know we'll see each other again!

Watching how the Canucks go about their business gives me a better appreciation for how relatively OK the Habs play. Your team is WAY mentally tougher than the Canucks who seem to be completely unable to play competitive hockey in our barn -- the Habs got over that ages ago.

Besides, even with all the stunts players like Subban like to pull on the ice they aren't as dirty or as disrespectful as the Vancouver team.

And Price is what Luongo has always been told he is, so that's something too. I don't think Price would ever run his mouth like that without backing it up with at least a strong effort.

Since the Nucks series has basically been 3 snoozers and 3 blowouts and I can't think of another truly epic playoff series that was as well fought on both sides and truly TENSE as that first round matchup, I thought I'd give props where it was due.

Anyway, just wanted to pass a compliment along, since having a chance to realize that even with all the terrible things my fellow Bruins fans and I say about the Habs, there's DEFINITELY worse out there. So there's that as well.

I'm also convinced that if, God forbid, the Habs had gotten through us, they would be here now, playing the Nucks. I can't think which of the Flyers or the Lightning was supposed to stop them. But that's just my speculation. Who knows?

Last edited by Dojji*: 06-14-2011 at 08:52 AM.
Old
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
CuteHockeyBunny

I too hold this belief.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:50 AM
MathMan

Tampa Bay absolutely rolled the Bruins, but their goaltending let them down. I'd say they were the toughest team the Bruins faced. Montreal would be up there too though; they were also better than the Bruins, but were done in by injuries (and a bounce or two in those three overtime games wouldn't have hurt).

Which is weird. I'd have expected Vancouver to outplay the Bruins at least to the extent Tampa did; even if one buys that Tim Thomas singlehandedly makes the Bruins an elite club, controlling the play and outchancing clearly isn't the Bruins' strong suit. But the Canucks have only done this once or twice. I'm very disappointed in them and starting to think that rumors of the West's superiority are greatly exagerrated.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:51 AM
FrankMTL

Quote:
Originally Posted by windycity View Post
go away
That's kinda harsh no? There are a lot of Bruins posters I despise, but he isn't one of them.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:52 AM
windycity

struck me as condescending, not interested in it

Old
06-14-2011, 08:54 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I guess the biggest reason I posted this is because I've learned a new hate for Vancouver that's making me reevaluate some of my old hatreds. I mean I still don't like the Montreal Canadiens, but at least as a Bruins fan, there's some accountability there. We each have to face the music when our own team comes out second, and it cuts down on the absurdity. Against a team like Vancouver that we never see, they feel like they can say anything. It's a lot worse.

Just think of it as a word in support of a proper rivalry, and a nod of respect from an enemy.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Suiteness

Montreal didn't score an even strength in games 6 and 7. That Boston was able to win a 7 game series without scoring a PP goal (being -1 on the PP to boot) tells you how "tough" of an opponent Montreal truly was. Boston was simply less bad.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suiteness View Post
Montreal didn't score an even strength in games 6 and 7. That Boston was able to win a 7 game series without scoring a PP goal (being -1 on the PP to boot) tells you how "tough" of an opponent Montreal truly was. Boston was simply less bad.
That wasn't an uncommon experience against Boston. We've got a good checking system, and the team to play it, and the coach to run it, and Thomas has played well when they have gotten through. The difference is that the Habs actually converted on the power play late in the game. None of the others really have done.

Boston doesn't live or die by the power play this year. Some teams just don't. Generally you spend more minutes off the power play than on anyway. Just have a good PK and go.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:59 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Wow, I don't know quite what to say, I am not used to these kind of comments coming from a Bruins fan. I appreciate the fact you recognized some things about the Habs and their fans without rivalry bias.

I think Montreal is mentally stronger and better coached than the Canucks. Vancouver have higher end offensive talent which covers up some of their weaknesses.

Montreal players and the organization keep their mouths shut for the most part and never whine to the media, unlike a few teams in these playoffs. Also they don't dive nearly as much as many Bruins fans would have you believe. Unfortunately diving is an epidemic in the NHL and until the league starts giving real fines and suspensions for simulation after the game is played there will always be players diving.

And the Habs played the Bruins better than Tampa imo, Montreal was more consistent and every game was a close affair. The Lightning only played well in 4 or 5 of the games in the series.

It's a shame watching this series and thinking what could have been, one thing I do know is the Habs are not as far off from being a real contender as some think.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:01 AM
loudi94
Master of my Domain

vCash: 50
I thought about that too. It is all relative to how deep into the playoffs we are. The Boston team Montreal played and the team Vancouver is playing are vastly different. I doubt Montreal would win one game against Boston the way they're playing right now. We wouldn't have an answer for their physicality (the way its being officiated) and Thomas isn't letting in the same stinkers he did in series one.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:04 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by loudi94 View Post
I thought about that too. It is all relative to how deep into the playoffs we are. The Boston team Montreal played and the team Vancouver is playing are vastly different. I doubt Montreal would win one game against Boston the way they're playing right now. We wouldn't have an answer for their physicality and Thomas isn't letting in the same stinkers he did in series one.
That's not quite fair, the Bruins have had 4 series to get into the groove they are in now, give Montreal the same opportunity and it would be more even. Plus we could have possibly had Patches, Markov, or Gorges back.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:07 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Also they don't dive nearly as much as many Bruins fans would have you believe.
Now that I've had a chance to get some real perspective I believe you. First chance to snag a power play most teams hit the floor. I think the only reason Boston doesn't do it more is that their power play hasn't done them any favors lately.

And when they do dive, they're a lot better at it than les mademoiselles Sedin. Those guys need acting lessons. Going down like you suddenly remembered you don't have feet doesn't get you many calls.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankMTL View Post
That's kinda harsh no? There are a lot of Bruins posters I despise, but he isn't one of them.
I don't think it is. I used to love and respect the rivalry we had with the Bruins. I didn't like them, but I respected them and loved playing against them. After this season, I no longer have respect for them and I loathe them even more. I won't go into details why as it may be seen as bashing. But I don't want to see Bruins team win, ever. And I hope them all the worst (hockey wise, not on their health and well being, I'm not a caveman). So no...

Old
06-14-2011, 09:28 AM
number 11

funny, the canucks bruins series has just made me hate the bruins even more. definitely didn't gain any respect for them.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:29 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Vancouver had the best offense in the league, look how many goals they've scored ES. Habs at least figured out ways to exploit Thomas's un-orthodox style.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:32 AM
Ace0813
Bleed Black & Gold

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Ace0813
My sentiments exactly as well Dojji.
The MTL series has been the toughest thus far. Alot of respect for Price and the team defense the Habs threw out there against the B's.

Bravo Habs, and heres to a hard fought Northeast Division in 2011-2012

Old
06-14-2011, 09:34 AM
11Goat11
Inside her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Now that I've had a chance to get some real perspective I believe you. First chance to snag a power play most teams hit the floor. I think the only reason Boston doesn't do it more is that their power play hasn't done them any favors lately.

And when they do dive, they're a lot better at it than les mademoiselles Sedin. Those guys need acting lessons. Going down like you suddenly remembered you don't have feet doesn't get you many calls.
Except for Vancouver, and Carolina(no offense Canes fans but you know...), the Bruins dive just as much as everybody else. Especially Ryder, Marchand, and Bergeron, they are just better at hiding it. Not to start a flame war but I see a lot of Bruins games, mainly because the Habs have played them so much, and it has always bothered me how high and mighty they are with respect to diving, especially when Savard was on the team.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:35 AM
PhysicX

vCash: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
Besides, even with all the stunts players like Subban like to pull on the ice they aren't as dirty or as disrespectful as the Vancouver team.
I could name a couple of Boston players that pull the same stunts as Subban pulls.

Overall, thanks for the post.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Yet despite that, Boston had to win 3 games in OT, and won ONE game in regulation by 2 goals, while Habs beat them 3 times IN REGULATION, 2 times by a margin of 2 goals.

Just one of those 3 OTs goes the other way and it's byebye Boston. That sure isn't easy to go through.

A team is tough to beat when they are tough to beat. And winning 3 times in overtime on 7 games shows that the bruins needed all the luck they could get to pass the Habs.

Get real. Habs were tough. Low ES scoring + PP and PK dominance is how the Habs have been winning for the last two seasons. So they aren't tough because that's how they win? We should take away the 100+ wins (s+p) they had in the last two seasons, cuz clearly they didn't deserve to win a single one of those games because they did it with low ES scoring and dominance on special units.

There's more ways to win than one. BTW, they say special teams are the most important aspect in the playoffs, but yeah, only bad teams dominate with their special teams. The only good teams are the ones who dominate at ES, no matter if in the end they lose, they're the better team because of that... Tunnel vision.

Sure if the Habs do something good, oh it's against a bad team. You're probably among those people who give the Habs no credit for last year except having a great goalie...

Old
06-14-2011, 09:55 AM
shamrun

The first round of the playoffs were the best this year a lot of excitement and then it kind of dwindled down. Montreal and Boston was really close i thought as well.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:00 AM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
Yet despite that, Boston had to win 3 games in OT, and won ONE game in regulation by 2 goals, while Habs beat them 3 times IN REGULATION, 2 times by a margin of 2 goals.

Just one of those 3 OTs goes the other way and it's byebye Boston. That sure isn't easy to go through.

A team is tough to beat when they are tough to beat. And winning 3 times in overtime on 7 games shows that the bruins needed all the luck they could get to pass the Habs.

Get real. Habs were tough. Low ES scoring + PP and PK dominance is how the Habs have been winning for the last two seasons. So they aren't tough because that's how they win? We should take away the 100+ wins (s+p) they had in the last two seasons, cuz clearly they didn't deserve to win a single one of those games because they did it with low ES scoring and dominance on special units.

There's more ways to win than one. BTW, they say special teams are the most important aspect in the playoffs, but yeah, only bad teams dominate with their special teams. The only good teams are the ones who dominate at ES, no matter if in the end they lose, they're the better team because of that... Tunnel vision.

Sure if the Habs do something good, oh it's against a bad team. You're probably among those people who give the Habs no credit for last year except having a great goalie...
This isn't coin tossing where flipping 3 heads in a row seems improbable. This is hockey and equating success to "luck" is ridiculous. The Habs have the 22nd best offense in the league (26th last year) , the inability to score goals will ensure the team doesn't win anything of significance until that problem is addressed while holding equal in all other team strengths.

As for last year, whatever makes you sleep at night. The Flyers shut out the Habs in 3 of 4 wins, Montreal's "luck" ran out precisely at the moment their offense failed them. See the pattern? The issue is not that the offense failed them it's that the failing of a 26th ranked squad is inevitable in a 4 round playoff format.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:08 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

If I recall correctly, all 3 of those overtimes wound up with at least one high percentage scoring chance for the Habs. Especially the Horton double OT heart attack special.

Thomas saved our butts in that series. Don't take anything away from the Habs because he did. They still put more pressure on this team more consistently than anyone else has. It was the one series the Bruins played all year where you'd be hard pressed to say who deserved to win -- it was two equal and very different styles of hockey going against each other and proving that there's variety even in trap systems.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:33 AM
Hugo Sham

that ****ing Bruin series is going to keep giving me nightmares....
the B's were there for the taking in game 3...first minute penalty..if we score...if if if...and then we wake up at 3-0 too late.
game 4 blowing 3-1 and 4-3 score late.
all the OT's...Michael Ryder playing goalie, Chara making fluky saves.
****!

Old
06-14-2011, 10:41 AM
Melvin Udall

QUOTE=Dojji;33623629]That first round matchup still gives me nightmares. The best, toughest, tensest, most ANNOYING games in the postseason were the 7 against a certain Montreal team. Your team played really well, and the initial matchup was much closer than 3rd-seed-6th seed indicates. The teams were separated by what, 7 points in the season? And each game was close and tense, especially after game 4.

Cammalleri said that the Bruins played their worst series (2011 playoffs) against Montreal.

Hope I am wrong, but I expect the Bruins to own the Habs for the next 3-5 years or as long as Gauthier is Habs GM!

And what if this is...as good as it gets?

Last edited by Melvin Udall: 06-14-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old
06-14-2011, 10:43 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 167
Dojji, you bring up very good points. However I do think the Bruins played a fantastic style against us. I just wish we had a healthier roster for the series to make it even more epic.

Closed Thread