HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
06-14-2011, 09:38 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
if this really is about being more ready and developing and having more confidence and learning to be the go to guy, blah blah blah....

well then, where does all that development happen sooner.

ncaa hockey on a so-so team, playing 40 odd games against mediocre opposition while going to class seeking a degree that might get him a 100k per year job

or

with the whale and perhaps the big club, playing twice as many games against men while receiving professional coaching and learning the systems he will play as a professional from the organization who drafted him in the first round.

chump.
So you'd rather him play 3rd line minutes at MOST in the AHL and putting up mediocre points then letting him stay one more year at College to be the go-to-guy? The NCAA is no push-over league, guaranteed its not the AHL, but its not a push-over. If he says getting more ice time = him learning more which he did say, I'm all for it.

Let him be the go-to-guy, get some confidence and then join the team. Stepan and McDonagh stayed in College for 3 years, and so far its worked out alright, has it not? Let's see how Kreider performs this year before we start calling it a "bad decision"

EDIT: Stepan played 2 years, but he went right to the NHL. You get the point.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Many quality NHLers played 3 years of college hockey before making the jump. Were those players more concerned about school than playing pro hockey? They have a funny way of showing it since they're playing in the NHL and not at some desk job.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:04 AM
Levitate

Feels like some people are being really immature about this

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:11 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Many quality NHLers played 3 years of college hockey before making the jump. Were those players more concerned about school than playing pro hockey? They have a funny way of showing it since they're playing in the NHL and not at some desk job.
He's not more concerned about school. He said he doesn't feel NHL ready and wants to produce more than 24 points and he'll have the opportunity to do so this coming year.

What's wrong with him wanting to get a degree? If he got a career ending knee injury (knock on wood) he wants something to fall back on. His family also values education a lot. This isn't the NBA where guys only care about money and they leave after their freshman year and don't give a **** about a degree.

I really don't understand why ur giving Kreider grief for wanting to get a degree. He is playing hockey at the same time ya know...

Old
06-14-2011, 10:20 AM
Orr Nightmare

I really hope this kid never reads this board because he will pull a Erixon and couldn't blame him in the least bit.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:21 AM
GAGLine

McDonagh played 3 years in college and no one is complaining about how he turned out. Have a little patience. If Kreider is going to be a good player, he will be a good player regardless of whether he spends the year at BC or in the AHL.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:31 AM
Trxjw
Retired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
McDonagh played 3 years in college and no one is complaining about how he turned out. Have a little patience. If Kreider is going to be a good player, he will be a good player regardless of whether he spends the year at BC or in the AHL.
Plenty of people were complaining when rumors surfaced that both McD and Stepan were considering returning for another year at Wisco.

People always feel like they know what's best for the kid. If he's not comfortable playing professional hockey, then why force him to? It's not as if he has nothing left to learn playing NCAA hockey. Seems like we have a lot of people who are the type to toss their kid in the deep end of the pool when they say they're not ready yet.

Trxjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:32 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by GAGLine View Post
To me Krieder is two years away and he is being smart about it.

1 year @ BC
1 year @ Hartford

and then he can play a vital role in NYC...

Kid is smart but all the jokers on this board want him to do what he is not ready to do...let him develop..

Old
06-14-2011, 10:40 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
To me Krieder is two years away and he is being smart about it.

1 year @ BC
1 year @ Hartford

and then he can play a vital role in NYC...

Kid is smart but all the jokers on this board want him to do what he is not ready to do...let him develop..
I don't think he would need another year in Connecticut. I think he'll be ready after his Junior year, but if need be, I wouldn't mind. As long as his contract is signed, I really wouldn't mind if he plays in the Whale for a year because he feels he isn't ready.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:44 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
I don't think he would need another year in Connecticut. I think he'll be ready after his Junior year, but if need be, I wouldn't mind. As long as his contract is signed, I really wouldn't mind if he plays in the Whale for a year because he feels he isn't ready.
Also keep in mind, the longer he stays in school the longer we retain his rights.

We will have a bunch of guys coming off their first contracts in a few years...can't hurt to spread a few out.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Blazephr

Finally, some people on here are starting to talk some common sense. The trade proposals are simply knee-jerk responses due to impatience and then calling the kid a chump & an idiot is way out of line.

Personally, I feel he's not quite ready to turn pro based on what I saw of him with Team USA last month. 1 more year with BC should go a long way for him as a player.

The kid made his decision. The arm-chair GMs need to take a chill pill and leave him be.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:50 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazephr View Post
Finally, some people on here are starting to talk some common sense. The trade proposals are simply knee-jerk responses and then calling the kid a chump & an idiot is way out of line.

Personally, I feel he's not quite ready to turn pro based on what I saw of him with Team USA last month. 1 more year with BC should go a long way for him as a player.

The kid made his decision. The arm-chair GMs need to take a chill pill and leave him be.
Exactly. This is what he said about his WC with Team USA:

Quote:
"I felt much more comfortable," Kreider said of his second time around at Worlds. "It was night and day. The year before it was really eye-opening. I wouldn't say I was nervous so much as tentative at times. ... I really probably wasn't ready. This year, though, I was learning even more on ice, because I was getting a lot more ice-time and I was a bigger part of the team.
He will be getting much more ice time as an upperclassmen this year especially with the departure of many players such as Hayes, Gibbons, and Atkinson. Another year at BC should benefit him immensely.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
I just think playing the full AHL season would've done more mentally for Kreider.
This, but not only mentally.....physically, too. The NCAA is not nearly the same level (Gilroy and countless other Hobey winners have proved that) as the AHL and his progression will suffer for it. Sure, I expect him to do well, but dominating smaller and slower college kids doesn't mean he'll be ready for the NHL. So, those saying "be patient, wait one more year" might be ranting and raving 15 months from now, when the kid is sent to Hartford to start the 2012-13 season. He's going to have to learn how to use his size and speed to his advantage against MEN. Stepan never had to worry about that because he has no size and speed. He only needed to play smart, which he knew how to do a looooong time ago.

That being said, I'm not "mad" at Krieder. It's his life, BUT I do think he just set the clock back on his NHL career. And that's too bad for Henrik, who needs scoring help here as fast as possible. He's no kid any more. Every week/month/year the NYR have to wait for Krieder to develop into an NHL top-6 wing is time Hank will never get back. Remember that.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post
but this stuff from kreider makes no sense. none. this just delays his development and for what, another year of college life.

sign the freekin contract bro. we all understand how important it is to you and your familiy that you get your degree but nothing stopping you from doing that. later.

right now you need to focus on your professional career as an ice hockey player drafted in the first round and sign the contract thats sitting there.

enough of this crap.

theres a very fine line between fear and caution, between desire and going and getting something. between confidence and self doubt. not sure where chris kreider is in that realm but hes sure giving me pause.
Yes being the teams number 1 certianly will murder his development! C'mon dude the crap needs to stop from YOU people not from him. He doesn't need to do anything YOU need him to do it. Your opinion doesn't matter and you have zero influence here. I think people are going through the feeling that it's a christmas gift being denied and you don't like being told to wait so you're coming up with all these reasons and compromises (btw to a guy who can't hear you). I guess no matter what any of our opinions are the bottom line is you are being told this : too bad

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:57 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
This, but not only mentally.....physically, too. The NCAA is not nearly the same level (Gilroy and countless other Hobey winners have proved that) as the AHL and his progression will suffer for it. Sure, I expect him to do well, but dominating smaller and slower college kids doesn't mean he'll be ready for the NHL. So, those saying "be patient, wait one more year" might be ranting and raving 15 months from now, when the kid is sent to Hartford to start the 2012-13 season. He's going to have to learn how to use his size and speed to his advantage against MEN. Stepan never had to worry about that because he has no size and speed. He only needed to play smart, which he knew how to do a looooong time ago.

That being said, I'm not "mad" at Krieder. It's his life, BUT I do think he just set the clock back on his NHL career. And that's too bad for Henrik, who needs scoring help here as fast as possible. He's no kid any more. Every week/month/year the NYR have to wait for Krieder to develop into an NHL top-6 wing is time Hank will never get back. Remember that.
So why would Kreider not succeed at the NHL level staying another year in College. Stepan didn't go to the AHL and he put up 45 points without SIZE and SPEED. Kreider plays smart and he has SIZE AND SPEED, so I don't understand your logic there. If Stepan could succeed without the AHL, why can't Kreider if Kreider possesses the 2 things that Stepan doesn't?

Old
06-14-2011, 11:14 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
This may sound dumb, but I don't think the focus should be on well-rounding his game...I want to him to develop into the best offensive player possible. This won't be the focus at BC, understandably so.
Torts demands that his players be defensively responsible. Players who are not good in their own zone will not see a ton of even strength playing time.... Playing a more well-rounded game under Torts is the recipe for increased playing time, so if Chris is working hard on being defensively responsible, I think that's a positive for his future.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:16 AM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhockey193195 View Post
Here's my question though. After one more year of development, he will also be just one more year away from graduating with a degree. Won't he stay for his Senior year?

Can't say I blame the kid, getting a degree is incredibly important. And I'm sure he's absolutely loving life in college right now, what 20 year old college kid doesn't. If I were in his shoes, I'd definitely take the approach of "I can complete my degree after hockey," but I can't fault him for it. Can't deny that I'm personally disappointed though...

EDIT: Nevermind, I should've read the rest of the thread. Question answered.
Also, he's taking summer courses this summer. If he takes them again next summer (likely), he'll probably only have a semester worth of credits left to earn his degree. So it's conceivable he could turn pro and then graduate through an additional couple summers worth of courses.

wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Also, he's taking summer courses this summer. If he takes them again next summer (likely), he'll probably only have a semester worth of credits left to earn his degree. So it's conceivable he could turn pro and then graduate through an additional couple summers worth of courses.
He wants a degree...what a bastardly fool.

The nerve!

Old
06-14-2011, 11:29 AM
Levitate

Quote:
So why would Kreider not succeed at the NHL level staying another year in College. Stepan didn't go to the AHL and he put up 45 points without SIZE and SPEED. Kreider plays smart and he has SIZE AND SPEED, so I don't understand your logic there. If Stepan could succeed without the AHL, why can't Kreider if Kreider possesses the 2 things that Stepan doesn't?
Kreider isn't nearly as smart on the ice as Stepan is, for one thing...Stepan was a much more polished player

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:30 AM
Reijo R

Quote:
Well, you're assuming that Krieder has the same hockey smarts/sense of Stepan, which I won't do.

Reijo R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:44 AM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reijo R View Post
Well, you're assuming that Krieder has the same hockey smarts/sense of Stepan, which I won't do.
Not saying he has the same smarts and sense, but the guy definitely has some smarts and sense. He has the speed, the size, and the shot to succeed. None of which have to do with hockey sense. As Kreider is a winger, it's not surprising that Stepan has more hockey sense, he is a center. But the point is, if Stepan could succeed without size and speed, Kreider definitely can succeed.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:28 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Not saying he has the same smarts and sense, but the guy definitely has some smarts and sense. He has the speed, the size, and the shot to succeed. None of which have to do with hockey sense. As Kreider is a winger, it's not surprising that Stepan has more hockey sense, he is a center. But the point is, if Stepan could succeed without size and speed, Kreider definitely can succeed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisKreider
"I love seeing how well he's doing because he's such a great kid and he deserves it and he works so hard. He really is a consummate team player," Kreider said of Stepan. "But at the same time, I think we're completely different players. He is the kind of a player who can create for his linemates. He's a play-maker and a centerman. I can't really look at him and say I'm on the same level or at the same point he was at a given point in time. It's hard to draw parallels just because we're entirely different players."
hockey smarts should not be underestimated. talent alone does not get you very far. you have to learn and adapt to make it as a top 6 NHL player. If Kreider becomes anything less, it's not the end of the world but somehow I feel the bi-polar Ranger HF fan masses will explode in outrage and vitriol.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:49 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Bump... This is one of the few topics I've enjoyed discussing over the past few days. I'm sick of Brad Richards this and Brad Richards that. Can we please keep calling Kreider a retard LOL (I think he is a lovely man)

Old
06-14-2011, 06:53 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Oh well, I guess it's time to spam his Facebook page along with his twitter.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:01 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

Can we shut down this board due to embarassment and just because its completely unneccesary now. If kreider never signs, it has to be because he read some of the ridic stuff here. Im not ready to see kids on the rangers younger than me, im not 21 yet lol jk. In all seriousness, hes our best prospect, he wont be traded, the kid has a bright future, we have a bright future. For god sakes avery cant even take him to warren 77 for a drink yet, so lets just chill out and prepare for a bright next 5-8 years of rangers hockey....i hope.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote