HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

MDZ: "Never Been So Motivated"

Old
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
I Am Chariot
One shift at a time

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza View Post
If he's a good prospect the Erixon deal should motivate the living heck out of him. He should be the most fired up guy in camp w/o exception.

If not, then it's time to re examine things.
Agreed

06-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Mdz will be guest hosting on xm from 4-5pm today.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 12:40 PM
94now

He is just offended by his demotion. As simple as that. That was end of February, the brutal month that almost cost us. Something had to be done. Lundqvist who sucked profusely couldn't be sent down. Rangers got McCabe and suspended MDZ project until next season. They had to save teh season, save their behinds. That is what the kid refers as "Business". That interview may cost him, if not already has. Erixon is here.
In the hindsight sending MDZ down was a mistake, McCabe wasn't an upgrade by any mean esp. defensively.

94now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 03:56 PM
Blueblood 2

Quote:
I would actually say that the Rangers as an organization have played the Del Zotto situation very nicely. Starting with the way Tort's handled him during the season and now with acquisition of Erixon.

Del Zotto's main problems, from what I understand, are poor decision making both on and off the ice. A head strong, passionate kid that lacks maturity. Not exactly an uncommon occurrence, but the exact opposite of Tim Erixon. A perfect counter balance IMO.

Acquiring Erixon may not be the eject button for MDZ unless said deal is a total no brainer.....like the Erixon deal.

No D prospect we have matches the offensive potential of MDZ. He needs to managed VERY carefully. The Rangers are doing that.

If he's a good prospect the Erixon deal should motivate the living heck out of him. He should be the most fired up guy in camp w/o exception.

Yup! What I said. Torts way or the high way. Maybe the message got through this time. Kid could be an all star if he grows up! Torts is just the guy to lead him by the nose with a size 11 in his rear!

Blueblood 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:12 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94now View Post
He is just offended by his demotion. As simple as that. That was end of February, the brutal month that almost cost us. Something had to be done. Lundqvist who sucked profusely couldn't be sent down. Rangers got McCabe and suspended MDZ project until next season. They had to save teh season, save their behinds. That is what the kid refers as "Business". That interview may cost him, if not already has. Erixon is here.
In the hindsight sending MDZ down was a mistake, McCabe wasn't an upgrade by any mean esp. defensively.
I disagree with you here--I think Del Zotto was sent down because he continued to make the same mistakes over and over. Other teams figured out how to defend against the long passes over the center line he made and Del Zotto was telegraphing his intent almost every time he had the puck. It was a receipe for disaster and he was sent down to get his game back on track. Not because Lundqvist was playing poorly. It was a necessary move and it's too bad he got hurt almost immediately.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:16 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
I would actually say that the Rangers as an organization have played the Del Zotto situation very nicely. Starting with the way Tort's handled him during the season and now with acquisition of Erixon.

Del Zotto's main problems, from what I understand, are poor decision making both on and off the ice. A head strong, passionate kid that lacks maturity. Not exactly an uncommon occurrence, but the exact opposite of Tim Erixon. A perfect counter balance IMO.

Acquiring Erixon may not be the eject button for MDZ unless said deal is a total no brainer.....like the Erixon deal.

No D prospect we have matches the offensive potential of MDZ. He needs to managed VERY carefully. The Rangers are doing that.

Well said--good instincts may get a prospect to the NHL, but there's a lot more he has to learn once he makes that jump. Del Zotto hasn't learned yet. I hope he just needs the motivation, but am worried that he will never learn to make the necessary adjustments to keep up with the NHL. He looked like the was thinking very slowly on the ice all last season.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 06:43 PM
WeWillWinTonight

Hope he gets stronger and spends some time with the woman who worked with Boyle last off season

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
He needs to have a good camp. With MDZ it's all mental I think, he had a great rookie season so we know he has skills. I heard Stamkos go on and on about Del Zotto and his skill set. If he can get off on a good foot I think MDZ will claim a spot in the top four.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:09 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staal18 View Post
Hope he gets stronger and spends some time with the woman who worked with Boyle last off season
thats part of his problem.

hes got "focus" issues... he likes the night life and he loves models. cant blame the guy but hes in nyc to play hockey not party.

and trust me, thats part of the problem torts has with him.

once he figures that out, and im sure he will, he can get back to being a really talented playmaking defenseman.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 10:11 PM
Radek27

Send a message via AIM to Radek27
Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

hes got "focus" issues... he likes the night life and he loves models. cant blame the guy but hes in nyc to play hockey not party.

once he figures that out, and im sure he will, he can get back to being a really talented playmaking defenseman.
If that is the problem then it's nothing on the ice which is great news. He's just a kid, I have confidence Torts/Slats will bring him along the right way and make him a great pro.

We all make fun of Sather here but if anyone saw the Blackburn thing where you hear him talk about how Slats watched out for him being a young guy, advised him what car to get to be safe, ect you see Slats does his whole job as GM and cares about these kids.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-03-2011, 11:41 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:

100% correct. If he doesn't come into camp ready to eat nails, then eject is a possibility.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:32 AM
MorrisWanchuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by offdacrossbar View Post

mdz is a bit too much of a partyer and at the same time a real big mommy's boy. he needs to mature - physically and mentally. hopefully we see it this year.

MorrisWanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 12:42 AM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Well said--good instincts may get a prospect to the NHL, but there's a lot more he has to learn once he makes that jump. Del Zotto hasn't learned yet. I hope he just needs the motivation, but am worried that he will never learn to make the necessary adjustments to keep up with the NHL. He looked like the was thinking very slowly on the ice all last season.
Maybe he was over thinking it. He came into camp very fit, but his game did not match his conditioning. A little bit of doubt sets in with a young guy, pretty soon it's a house of cards. Especially when they are a bit high strung. Plus Tort's got in his grill because of those crappy home run passes. That can't be fun. He was primed for a huge season and the opposite happens.

He should focus on being the most coach able, motivated, player we have. The kid's a thorough bred. Rambunctious, cocky as hell but once he's tamed and focused he'll be fine.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 09:07 AM
Staals Eye
once TortsKindaGuy

Yesterday on Nhl Home Ice Mdz said that he still can't start training because his finger got infected and they had to re cast it.

Staals Eye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:07 AM
MugatuNYR
so hot right now

No sense in giving up on a kid so talented. I also think he has that "swagger factor" needed to play in a big market like NY. Please don't trade him Slats.

What are the chances one of either McD or MDZ can move to RD?

Staal - Girardi
MDZ - McDonagh
Erixon - Sauer

Looks good for the next 5-10 years

MugatuNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:10 AM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

He better be motivated. A better team should pump him up. He also knows he has to battle it out for a spot this year. I'm confident he earns a spot and does well.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-04-2011, 11:28 AM
azrok22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple McIlwraath View Post
No sense in giving up on a kid so talented. I also think he has that "swagger factor" needed to play in a big market like NY. Please don't trade him Slats.

What are the chances one of either McD or MDZ can move to RD?

Staal - Girardi
MDZ - McDonagh
Erixon - Sauer

Looks good for the next 5-10 years

I think the most likely player to move to RD would be Erixon -- because at least he played the right side on his SEL team's PP.

Assuming Del Zotto makes it out of camp:

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh-Erixon
Del Zotto - Sauer
Valentenko

Assuming Del Zotto fails to make it out of camp:

Staal - Girardi
McDonagh - Sauer
Erixon - Eminger
Valentenko

azrok22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 04:10 PM
Kel Varnsen
Below: Nash's Heart

It's all well and good that he says he so motivated but at the highest level everyone is motivated. Hopefully he knows that success doesn't just come from saying you want it. His problem became he was trying to do to much. He's got to go back to playing naturally and not trying to be what people want him to be.

Kel Varnsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-12-2011, 08:09 PM
Darrelle Lundqvist
Swagelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
10-12 mins a night on the third pairing and a full shot at the pp should give him the right developmental opportunity. 21 year old offensive dmen in Torts system are going to be exposed no matter what, this gives him the best chance to adjust to that.
I agree, thats really all he needs to develop his game. And people still must remember that he's only 21 and he still has so much potential.

Darrelle Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-13-2011, 11:54 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek27 View Post
He needs to have a good camp. With MDZ it's all mental I think, he had a great rookie season so we know he has skills. I heard Stamkos go on and on about Del Zotto and his skill set. If he can get off on a good foot I think MDZ will claim a spot in the top four.
I'd be happy to send him to tampa for future considerations.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:06 AM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

If MDZ comes through, it would be big for the Rangers next year. Having a great passer, someone who gets 45-50 points on the blue line with even mildly acceptable defense would be a huge addition to the team.

If MDZ can do that plus Erixon plays on par with McDonagh, the Rangers will have their best squad since 1996-97, even if they don't sign Brad Richards.

Beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:36 AM
Lion Hound
@JoeTucc26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorrisWanchuk View Post
mdz is a bit too much of a partyer and at the same time a real big mommy's boy. he needs to mature - physically and mentally. hopefully we see it this year.
Curious as to how you know he's a partyboy and a momma's boy? I saw the photos of he and Boyle drinking beers up in Boston too. But...beers and hockey go hand in hand. This is the first I heard he is a party guy. Were there any incidends like DWI'S or anything or is that just speculation.

Also, whats witht eh mommas boy?

Lion Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:53 AM
Levitate

He tweeted he was cooking with his mom at some point and people started ripping on him for being immature

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:24 AM
mullichicken25

All these posts calling him out as a "partier" and whatnot are a little ridiculous

not because they're false, but because they're saying it like he's some kind of exception

guys like Brind'amour are the expection....most young hockey players (excuse the braod generalization) are complete maniacs....and guess what, their mentality is part of the reason they're good hockey players.

the kid had a bad season, he's a 20 year old defenseman playing in the NHL, i for one was far more shocked at his good rookie season

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Blazephr

Quote:
Originally Posted by wafflepadsave View Post
I'd be happy to send him to tampa for future considerations.

Lets just trade all of our prospects while we're at it. We should re-institute the old mentality of sacrificing our youth & future for over-paid aging vets.

Blazephr is offline   Reply With Quote