HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THe Habs were the toughest team the Bruins played -- by a lot

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 10:49 AM
nilan30

vCash: 500
Too bad they didn't award points for losing in OT in the playoffs and it went by points instead of wins. Habs would have won 9 points to 8. As someone said I don't think you could be more IN a series and not win it. Only trailing once after three periods in seven games and not winning. Not to mention the fourth loss was basically a one goal loss plus an empty netter. OUch.

Old
06-14-2011, 10:59 AM
theboss*

I hate the Bruins. They are a lucky team. They know they got lucky against the Habs.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:15 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Crazy when you think about it, both Boston and Vancouver faced elimination in the 1st round and both needed OT winners in game 7!

Old
06-14-2011, 11:27 AM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
This isn't coin tossing where flipping 3 heads in a row seems improbable. This is hockey and equating success to "luck" is ridiculous. The Habs have the 22nd best offense in the league (26th last year) , the inability to score goals will ensure the team doesn't win anything of significance until that problem is addressed while holding equal in all other team strengths.

As for last year, whatever makes you sleep at night. The Flyers shut out the Habs in 3 of 4 wins, Montreal's "luck" ran out precisely at the moment their offense failed them. See the pattern? The issue is not that the offense failed them it's that the failing of a 26th ranked squad is inevitable in a 4 round playoff format.
Who cares how much they score so long as they outscore the opposition?

Habs got better than average results on ES this year (1.01) to go with their special teams dominance.

Besides, as MathMan and I take pains to point out, this Habs's team offense was more unlucky than bad. By any metric except goals, be it shots, scoring chances or even weather more faceoff were taken in the offensive versus defensive zone, the Habs controlled the puck at even strength more than the teams they faced.

Excluding empty nets, the Canadiens outscored the Bruins and lost 3 times in OT. It was a textbook definition of a series a team could have won if the bounces went their way.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:35 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Hated the broons before, hate them more now. Love to play the team you hate though so I can look at it that way. But Vancouver, win. Please.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:41 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
Take away the fact the Vancouver series if for the Cup.. I would say the Montreal one has been by far my favorite.

I look forward to tons of hate and wars between our two franchises next year. Suban is more of a villain than Komisarek ever was and I love it. Hockey is in a good place with Boston and Montreal competing at the top of the league. Despite how we all might disagree about the others style of play.

If the Habs can take anything about the Bruins run, I hope they try to get tougher in the offseason. IMO that would just make the rivalry greater. Oh, and listen to Whitesnake more, that guy in on top of his ****.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
Take away the fact the Vancouver series if for the Cup.. I would say the Montreal one has been by far my favorite.

I look forward to tons of hate and wars between our two franchises next year. Suban is more of a villain than Komisarek ever was and I love it. Hockey is in a good place with Boston and Montreal competing at the top of the league. Despite how we all might disagree about the others style of play.

If the Habs can take anything about the Bruins run, I hope they try to get tougher in the offseason. IMO that would just make the rivalry greater. Oh, and listen to Whitesnake more, that guy in on top of his ****.
OK, but had Chara not taken out Pacioretty in a particularly dirty manner (many people in cities around the NHL thought it was, although I don't think Chara intended to injure him so severely), the Habs would have had a much better chance of eliminating the Bruins. The Habs missed Pacioretty's aggressive physical style. He scored 2 goals against Thomas in that 8-6 madcap game and IMO he could have made a difference in a tight 7-game series with 3 OT games. I go back a long way with this rivalry and for a brief period I worked in Reading and attended games at the Boston Garden.

You use the screen name Morrris Wanchuk. When did you first see Slapshot?

Old
06-14-2011, 12:21 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

I don't think when MW says Subban was a villain, he was denying that to you guys, Chara is one too. That's part of a rivalry.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
TheBuriedHab

I always thought round 1 was the toughest. Get out of round 1 anyway you can.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Goat11 View Post
Except for Vancouver, and Carolina(no offense Canes fans but you know...), the Bruins dive just as much as everybody else. Especially Ryder, Marchand, and Bergeron, they are just better at hiding it. Not to start a flame war but I see a lot of Bruins games, mainly because the Habs have played them so much, and it has always bothered me how high and mighty they are with respect to diving, especially when Savard was on the team.
Add in Peverly Ference...but the biggest thing I notice is the cheap shots they give with Lucy and March the dumbest of them all

Old
06-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
Who cares how much they score so long as they outscore the opposition?

Habs got better than average results on ES this year (1.01) to go with their special teams dominance.

Besides, as MathMan and I take pains to point out, this Habs's team offense was more unlucky than bad. By any metric except goals, be it shots, scoring chances or even weather more faceoff were taken in the offensive versus defensive zone, the Habs controlled the puck at even strength more than the teams they faced.

Excluding empty nets, the Canadiens outscored the Bruins and lost 3 times in OT. It was a textbook definition of a series a team could have won if the bounces went their way.
In the long term you will not be successful when you can't score goals. If a team with the 22nd ranked offense has ever won the Cup, I'd gladly reconsider the comment but I highly doubt it.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:57 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:

Habs get tougher?

Come on....L O L!

Keep in mind - this is the team that traded away George Larocque....'cause they did not need toughness!

You do realize that the Hab's GM is Pierre Gauthier?

Rumor had it that the Habs were, at one time, interested in signing Mike Comrie...then they determined he was not small enough for their lineup!

Habs have 1 hope and only 1 hope....as of July 1st (team owner) Geoff Molson takes over as Habs prersident - who knows, he might find a hockey management team that is not satisfied being an also-ran.....here's hopin'.

What if this is...as good as it gets?

Old
06-14-2011, 02:18 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
Habs get tougher?

Come on....L O L!

Keep in mind - this is the team that traded away George Larocque....'cause they did not need toughness!

Rumor had it that the Habs were, at one time, interested in signing Mike Comrie...then they determined he was not small enough for their lineup!

Habs have 1 hope and only 1 hope....as of July 1st (team owner) Geoff Molson takes over as Habs prersident - who knows, he might find a hockey management team that is not satisfied being an also-ran.....here's hopin'.

Laraque was useless and wasn't making this team tougher. It's not even debatable.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
theboss*

Quote:

Main thing is to get bigger and stronger. But we beat you with a healthy team anyways

Old
06-14-2011, 02:34 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
That first round matchup still gives me nightmares. The best, toughest, tensest, most ANNOYING games in the postseason were the 7 against a certain Montreal team. Your team played really well, and the initial matchup was much closer than 3rd-seed-6th seed indicates. The teams were separated by what, 7 points in the season? And each game was close and tense, especially after game 4.

Compare that to the other series my team has played.

Flyers? Pfft, BLOWOUT. They had no chance and it showed.

Lightning? Ehh well they made it close, but the Bruins owned them all the way in game 7. Once it actually got that far, it was pretty clear they were exhausted, they couldn't keep pressure against a good checking system, and their aging goalie finally made the fatal mistake. Compare that to the overtime game 7 in the first round. No contest whatsoever.

Vancouver might win the Cup yet and it will still be a pretty lame series defined by nasty words and nasty actions, not by the play on the ice. That's why the Habs series IMHO was much better than the current one. For the most part both teams are content to leave the series on the ice when the Bruins and Habs meet. Probably because we know we'll see each other again!

Watching how the Canucks go about their business gives me a better appreciation for how relatively OK the Habs play. Your team is WAY mentally tougher than the Canucks who seem to be completely unable to play competitive hockey in our barn -- the Habs got over that ages ago.

Besides, even with all the stunts players like Subban like to pull on the ice they aren't as dirty or as disrespectful as the Vancouver team.

And Price is what Luongo has always been told he is, so that's something too. I don't think Price would ever run his mouth like that without backing it up with at least a strong effort.

Since the Nucks series has basically been 3 snoozers and 3 blowouts and I can't think of another truly epic playoff series that was as well fought on both sides and truly TENSE as that first round matchup, I thought I'd give props where it was due.

Anyway, just wanted to pass a compliment along, since having a chance to realize that even with all the terrible things my fellow Bruins fans and I say about the Habs, there's DEFINITELY worse out there. So there's that as well.

I'm also convinced that if, God forbid, the Habs had gotten through us, they would be here now, playing the Nucks. I can't think which of the Flyers or the Lightning was supposed to stop them. But that's just my speculation. Who knows?
Thank you for your kind words. I would like to think that the team being mentally tough is something that Gainey and Martin have brought to the organization. Neither ever gets any credit around here, but they have built a team that comes ready to play every game. I look at game 3 as the best example. You guys got up 3-0 on us, and we really came back and made a game of it. Granted Thomas gave up a pair of softies in that game that he just isn't giving up anymore, but we still found a way to beat your dmen and get those chances. I don't know if Vancouver would be able to come back from 3-0 and make it come down to the wire.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

WTF is going on? Why is there a Bruin complementing the Habs? Why are Habs fans friendly towards said Bruin? I guess they were right. 2012 is the end of it all

Old
06-14-2011, 02:41 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Simple: Compared to the Nucks, the Habs are not bad, and the rivalry (and the fact that either team could beat the other one in any given meeting) keeps everyone accountable. People who speak out of turn and can't back it up get embarrassed fairly immediately.

The west-coast gum-flappers have impressed a lot of Bruins fans that there's worse things than a relatively respecful and accountable rivalry with a team that has limits. Since we've seen how bad a team can REALLY behave, the old familiar rivalry starts looking better and better.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:42 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimCareyPrice View Post
In the long term you will not be successful when you can't score goals. If a team with the 22nd ranked offense has ever won the Cup, I'd gladly reconsider the comment but I highly doubt it.
New Jersey Devils. Reconsider

Old
06-14-2011, 02:45 PM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Laraque was useless and wasn't making this team tougher. It's not even debatable.
Agreed. You need integral toughness. Toughness that is part of the team, not toughness that plays beside the team. Boston is as tough as it is because some of our most skilled on-ice players are also our biggest thugs. Chara, Lucic, Horton, all big, strong, tough, skilled guys. Even our "goon" is a pretty half decent 4th line wing just weighing his on-ice talent. Laraque and those like him won't get you that kind of toughness.

The annoying thing is that it's pretty clear that Subban could be part of the solution, if he didn't play so soft. He's a big fella, and pretty darned strong, but he's picking up a billion bad habits with soft play, diving and yapping, and isn't protected enough by his teammates to really develop into a tough, strong D. You guys need to get some help quick.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Quote:
Simple: Compared to the Nucks, the Habs are not bad, and the rivalry (and the fact that either team could beat the other one in any given meeting) keeps everyone accountable. People who speak out of turn and can't back it up get embarrassed fairly immediately.

The west-coast gum-flappers have impressed a lot of Bruins fans that there's worse things than a relatively respecful and accountable rivalry with a team that has limits. Since we've seen how bad a team can REALLY behave, the old familiar rivalry starts looking better and better.
Well said Dojji Guh agreeing with that gave me the willy's.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:48 PM
J Sawyer
Beamer Hearts VCR

I'd have to say that it's a case of two teams playing each other so often and knowing each others tendencies so well that they come down to the wire like they do.

The two have had quite some history for some time and the last couple of regular season games added on to it.

Old
06-14-2011, 02:59 PM
Strik_IX
No excuses!

vCash: 1395
Thank you for the kind words, I for one am all for a show of respect for your enemy when it's deserved.

Right back at ya Dojji, I truly hope we get to face each other in the ECF next year, make it that much more epic.

And as much as I hate the Bruins and was rooting for the Canucks, I feel the B's deserve it way more.

On that note, I think Vigneault needs to get fired, his coaching in away games in this year's POs was horrendous at best, it shows that he isn't ready at all when he doesn't have the advantage of the last line change.

Old
06-14-2011, 03:03 PM
Patccmoi

Quote:
Agreed. You need integral toughness. Toughness that is part of the team, not toughness that plays beside the team. Boston is as tough as it is because some of our most skilled on-ice players are also our biggest thugs. Chara, Lucic, Horton, all big, strong, tough, skilled guys. Even our "goon" is a pretty half decent 4th line wing just weighing his on-ice talent. Laraque and those like him won't get you that kind of toughness.

The annoying thing is that it's pretty clear that Subban could be part of the solution, if he didn't play so soft. He's a big fella, and pretty darned strong, but he's picking up a billion bad habits with soft play, diving and yapping, and isn't protected enough by his teammates to really develop into a tough, strong D. You guys need to get some help quick.
Hrm, you do realize that if we were not injured, in good part because of your team, you likely wouldn't be past the first round right? Not sure why exactly we're supposed to adapt our team to your playstyle...?

To me the Bruins-Habs rivalry was all fun and games until the start of the year, and living in Boston I had quite a bit of fun about it with my boss and friends about it. But I don't even talk to them about it anymore, because it's not fun for me at this point. Ofc from your side it can keep being fun. You don't see one of your guy get his neck broken, and other vets get beat down by 4th line thugs when they don't even want to fight, seeing Ference flip the finger at the crowd (not that this bothered me all that much, just thought he was an idiot) and headshotting Halpern.

The Bruins should've had loads of suspension this year and nearly never got anything, and so they came to think that it's fine and there's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing elbows at the head (which Marchand did at least 4-5 times this year, got suspended once) or sucker punches when a game is sure to be won or loss. It's 'showing emotion'. Well sorry, I don't like or support diving anymore than you do (except I can see that my team do it, something Bruins fans seem unable to do, Ference, Marchand, Peverley, Chara, Bergeron and even Thomas are all diving and embellishing regularly you just don't realize it because your media don't spend 60 minutes on a highlight of them doing it), but to me doing stuff that's dangerous to other player's health is a hell of a lot worse, and that's what Bruins have been getting away with all year.

I'd like to act as if it's all fun and a good old rivalry, but I can't anymore. It's not fun. Fun is when it's about hockey. You can have fights between people that want to fight, sure. Shoving and pushing after the whistle, facewash, etc. was always part of the game even if I think it's a waste of time (without the sucker punches...).

But the absolute lack of respect of opponents, whining to the media, and incredible hypocrisy going on here just became unbearable to me, maybe because I'm surrounded in it. Once your players stop trying to injure everyone around them with full league immunity while your media calls practically every team you face full of divers, gutless weasels without ever taking a look at your own players doing the exact same thing night in and night out, maybe it can be fun once more.

Old
06-14-2011, 04:20 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post
Habs get tougher?

Come on....L O L!

We bought out Georges Laraque because he was getting all squirrelly in his head. Talking about unwritten codes, and this chivalric way to being a fighter...

Hey Georges I GOT an idea for you! Drop the mitts and beat the snot out of the guy. Dont wait for it... DO IT

I remembber how many games I sat there waiting for Laraque to do anything more than... Nothing.

It was no surprise watching the ice dancing last year, he came out and said he detested fighting.

All this, and Gainey still gave him the benefit of going to Haiti to take care of the disaster there... (Georges is from Haiti, or ancestors are... ) and NOT buy him out at that point... But he said no, and Gainey sent the papers in.

We need a policeman on the fourth... One that can play a bit of hockey... Not a guy who tries to live up to a 'code' that does not exist.

But they wont survive in this city if they cant stay on the ice for longer than 5 minutes...

Old
06-14-2011, 04:54 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

People need to consider that division team matchups are a lot tougher. Both teams know each other very well, and the compete level is much higher because there's a lot more history.

The difference in talent level can look at lot smaller than it actually is.

Closed Thread