HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Howard Eskin of 610 WIP: Front Office Open to Trading Richards or Carter

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevensCakeBakerBacker View Post
Apparently the Flyers need to trade Carter and Richards so that they can sign Bryz and give JVR a new deal (in the near future). The Flyers gain cap space and bad/decent prospects.
Yeah, because apparently Briere and Timonen's contracts are on our books FOREVER. Also, since these teams are doing us such a monumental favor by taking Richards and Carter, they don't have to give us anything of value.

06-14-2011, 12:45 PM
Razor the Goalie
Can I Get a Hot Tub

I've been banned from WIP since college, I used to call and ask where Eskin got his red roses from.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Yeah, because apparently Briere and Timonen's contracts are on our books FOREVER. Also, since these teams are doing us such a monumental favor by taking Richards and Carter, they don't have to give us anything of value.

Well to be honest, Richards is a massive, unnecessary cap hit. He's the combination of everything wrong with the NHL: the locker room cancer of Sean Avery, the headhunting of Steve Downie and Matt Cooke, and the media disaster of John Tortorella. Other teams would be doing us an immense favor by trading us fringe NHLers and long-shot prospects that could some day be half the player Mike Richards is. THINK ABOUT IT.

06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hextall89 View Post
Well to be honest, Richards is a massive, unnecessary cap hit. He's the combination of everything wrong with the NHL: the locker room cancer of Sean Avery, the headhunting of Steve Downie and Matt Cooke, and the media disaster of John Tortorella. Other teams would be doing us an immense favor by trading us fringe NHLers and long-shot prospects that could some day be half the player Mike Richards is. THINK ABOUT IT.
Quantity > quality, right?

Old
06-14-2011, 06:31 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman33 View Post
You should like Servalli...he is one of us! He used to post here and was one of the youngest Mods we had.
I'm still interested to know what his username was.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:37 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Quantity > quality, right?
Only if it includes bad-decent prospects. Otherwise, it's just plain silliness.

Old
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
Superman33

Send a message via AIM to Superman33
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVR21 View Post
I'm still interested to know what his username was.
Sorry bout that. His name was Quellet The Dogs Out for Maxime Ouellet. His username alone vouches for how long ago it was that he posted here. It would be awesome if he still came back here just to check things out every once in a while, but why need to do that when he is now breaking the news that we post using him as the source?

Someone else asked "how many of them have actually played hockey before?" I know for a fact he played for Ghost and probably won a Flyers Cup or two. We played against each other in high school, I think I was two years ahead of him, and they beat my team for our league championship my Senior year.

He was always into the reporting thing and interned at The Daily News. His last day they had him on DNL to thank him for doing such a great job and then quickly moved into a regular spot. I am pretty sure he was able to work his way quickly into the covering the Flyers because he knows hockey and it seems like everyone else in this town could care less about it, or if they do they get picked to go other places.

I think it is pretty awesome that someone that started off posting on this website as a 13 year old is now on DNL on a regular basis and living the dream of being a beat writer for the Flyers.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:50 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Sorry bout that. His name was Quellet The Dogs Out for Maxime Ouellet. His username alone vouches for how long ago it was that he posted here. It would be awesome if he still came back here just to check things out every once in a while, but why need to do that when he is now breaking the news that we post using him as the source?

Someone else asked "how many of them have actually played hockey before?" I know for a fact he played for Ghost and probably won a Flyers Cup or two. We played against each other in high school, I think I was two years ahead of him, and they beat my team for our league championship my Senior year.

He was always into the reporting thing and interned at The Daily News. His last day they had him on DNL to thank him for doing such a great job and then quickly moved into a regular spot. I am pretty sure he was able to work his way quickly into the covering the Flyers because he knows hockey and it seems like everyone else in this town could care less about it, or if they do they get picked to go other places.

I think it is pretty awesome that someone that started off posting on this website as a 13 year old is now on DNL on a regular basis and living the dream of being a beat writer for the Flyers.
IIRC he was enrolled going for a degree and when Ed Moran all of a sudden left he was called and asked if he wanted the job... Seems the Daily News was revered in his household and he read it from his early childhood, actually daydreaming of working there and covering the Flyers... When given the opportunity he jumped at it and accepted posthaste -- I'm not 100% sure about the going for the degree... I think Zack Hill had the same story as he was offered a job and grabbed it, and I may be confusing them... but it is possible that they had similar situation... or maybe it was another person altogether haha. I am certain though about the rest of Seravalli's story; he loved the DN, always wanted to work there and Moran's leaving gave him the chance that he grabbed.

Frank seems to be an honest and somewhat knowledgeable guy, especially when compared to his peers... his youth shows through in his mannerism, belying the silver hairs scattered on his head which gives him an older appearance; that is by no means a knock, BTW.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:55 AM
FlyerX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Bill Meltzer is on a different level to anyother philly reporter, hell he's on a different level to most NHL reporters.
It's kinda sad when you think about it. I think hockey is still a sideline for Meltzer, but he has a passion for the game. Mainstream media is a bunch of folks with generic journalism skills and a generic mainstream mindset. It shows up in the work, whether it's hockey or the important news of the world. There are always exceptions, of course, but this is the prevailing situation. The mainstream media sucks and everyone knows it.

Old
06-15-2011, 05:40 PM
MsWoof

Not related to the Eskin crap but Richie was on the Fan 590 in Toronto this morning...he's in Kenora, not Toronto. If the interviewer could have cut his questions down to 10 seconds it would have been a lot shorter.

You'll laugh at the 9 minute mark! And also, they do discuss the media a bit and it's pretty funny.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...5_114153_15836

Old
06-15-2011, 06:13 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
Not related to the Eskin crap but Richie was on the Fan 590 in Toronto this morning...he's in Kenora, not Toronto. If the interviewer could have cut his questions down to 10 seconds it would have been a lot shorter.

You'll laugh at the 9 minute mark! And also, they do discuss the media a bit and it's pretty funny.

http://www.fan590.com/ondemand/media...5_114153_15836
yeah, I laughed at 9 minutes.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:44 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

gee, i wonder who he's talking about.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:58 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
gee, i wonder who he's talking about.
COUGHCOUGHcarchidiCOUGHCOUGH I wonder too.

Seriously, it is obvious to me that the questions that get the refusal to answer and short answers... and snide answer... are always posed by the guy he is talking about. And not just by Richie, by Carts also, and maybe others.

When I hear an awkward moment on the radio or 'Net I look for a video and always see that grey mustache with his recorder in their face as he asks questions... And while the other beat writers and reporters and bloggers ***** about the responses they always fail to bring that up.

As for calling the doctor... he openly admits he called the surgeon to get a response -- believe it was about which bone was broke in Pronger's hand but not 100% positive... maybe 98% sure though -- His reasoning was he was not getting the answer from the Flyers... a) they don't give those kind of details in these cases, especially during the Playoffs.... and... b) he may not have gotten his questioned answered the way he'd have like because it was him. COUGHCOUGHsamCOUGHCOUGH

Old
06-15-2011, 08:05 PM
MsWoof

You think it's Carchidi and not Panotch?

Old
06-15-2011, 08:44 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Could be both. Which of them is the sweatiest slob?

Old
06-15-2011, 09:50 PM
Damaged Goods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
I've been banned from WIP since college, I used to call and ask where Eskin got his red roses from.
I remember this!

Old
06-16-2011, 12:23 AM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
You think it's Carchidi and not Panotch?
No doubt... First off I personally heard Carchidi say that he hit a wall trying to find out and couldn't wait, so he called the surgeon (who wouldn't supply the information...duh)... Again 98% sure it was about Pronger's bone, and which one was broken.

...Secondly, Sam wrote that story about a member of the Old City Gang (Lupul or Upshall, I forget which) being shipped out to send a message, or something along those lines... Richards was upset about that and since then Richards has had it in for Carchidi and has even totally ignored his question at one point and is snotty to him at others... As I said, I believe other Flyers such as Carter have also snubbed him.

The main clue for me was Richards singling out that calling the doctor story in the radio interview... That is not to say that Panotch is not also a part of the writers he meant as the few that he had trouble with... He did call him out in that Twitter Tweet about never being right about anything.

Old
06-16-2011, 08:35 AM
healthyscratch

I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm sure it's been mentioned that Eskin is a fat pig that doesn't know anything or give a damn about hockey. Yea sure he probably has some contacts in the organization, but that doesn't mean much.

I stopped listening to that blowhard on trade deadline day one year. He had "major breaking news" about a Flyers blockbuster. He reported on air that the Flyers were acquiring Pavel Bure. Yea right, I'm almost certain that was the year that we re-acquired Kerry Huffman as our only trade deadline day deal. And that was the last day I ever listened to that loser.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:11 PM
Quellet The Dogs Out

Quote:

Good to read that I am still a part of the crew!

I don't often come back to post but I definitely still check out the message board every now and then to see what you guys think. In all honesty, my job is to serve you guys - the fans and the readers - in the best way possible, so if there is something that I'm not doing that you guys would rather see, I am all ears.

As Superman said, I started posting here in 2002 and I played the game at almost every level in the Philly area before going to college. Grabbing the Flyers beat at the Daily News really was a dream come true.

As far as the actual topic of the thread, I'd be really surprised if the Flyers decided to part with either Richards or Carter. I think Carter would be the first to go out of the two. The only way it would make sense, for me, is if you're going to get a top pick (read: 10th overall or better) and a player that you can plug into the lineup now. I don't think the term on his deal would scare anyone away, it's a pretty reasonable cap number for a player who has been durable (in the regular season), is just reaching his prime, and has averaged 38 goals over the last 3 seasons.

At some point, the Flyers are going to need to start re-stocking the farm, because it's already as barren as can be and the window on a few of the pieces in this lineup is already closing. It should become a priority sooner or later.

Good to be back and post.

Frank Seravalli

Old
06-17-2011, 02:18 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quellet The Dogs Out View Post

I don't often come back to post but I definitely still check out the message board every now and then to see what you guys think. In all honesty, my job is to serve you guys - the fans and the readers - in the best way possible, so if there is something that I'm not doing that you guys would rather see, I am all ears.

As Superman said, I started posting here in 2002 and I played the game at almost every level in the Philly area before going to college. Grabbing the Flyers beat at the Daily News really was a dream come true.

As far as the actual topic of the thread, I'd be really surprised if the Flyers decided to part with either Richards or Carter. I think Carter would be the first to go out of the two. The only way it would make sense, for me, is if you're going to get a top pick (read: 10th overall or better) and a player that you can plug into the lineup now. I don't think the term on his deal would scare anyone away, it's a pretty reasonable cap number for a player who has been durable (in the regular season), is just reaching his prime, and has averaged 38 goals over the last 3 seasons.

At some point, the Flyers are going to need to start re-stocking the farm, because it's already as barren as can be and the window on a few of the pieces in this lineup is already closing. It should become a priority sooner or later.

Frank Seravalli
Very cool of you to post!

Old
06-17-2011, 02:19 PM
Guest123

Quote:

Frank Seravalli
Welcome back Frank! Definitely enjoy reading your articles regarding the Flyers.

Question: Are you hearing anything about Carter and Richards being seriously detrimental in the locker room? I think that would be the only reason either would be on the chopping block.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:24 PM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:

Frank Seravalli
I actually came into this thread cause I was like "whoa I remember that name. I don't remember seeing that dudes name since like before I even had an account on here." I was kind of shocked to see it you were someone from the Philly media.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:25 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I'm surprised Frank has shown his "face" on this board considering all the Philly media hate...

Nonetheless, it's good to see but a warning about any Carter and Richards talk.....BEWARE! Anything contrarian and you will be banned!

Old
06-17-2011, 02:45 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
I'm surprised Frank has shown his "face" on this board considering all the Philly media hate...

Nonetheless, it's good to see but a warning about any Carter and Richards talk.....BEWARE! Anything contrarian and you will be banned!
It all depends on how you go about doing it.

Old
06-17-2011, 02:46 PM
JVR21
G

Nice to see you stop by, Frank. If you have time to answer questions, I'd like to know if Carle and Versteeg will be the first two to go like most of us hope. If so, which one will likely be dealt first and what are some likely destinations/returns? Thanks.

Closed Thread