HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Are the Habs better than the Canucks?

Old
06-14-2011, 09:28 AM
Claimed Off Waivers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RE-HABS View Post
We were 2-0 against them this year, and we played a closer series with the Bruins in the playoffs too...so I wouldn't say the Canucks are better, especially since we had 3main stay players missing too in Gorges, Markov and Pacorietty in the playoffs too.
The Habs just match up better with the Bruins like someone else said. I think Vancouver's downfall was not knowing Boston's style that well before the finals.

Claimed Off Waivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:30 AM
Ohashi_Jouzu

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
Heck I'd even argue on any size. Obviously if we're talking an AHL team with Price it's another story, but any NHL team even a weaker one with a hot goalie imo can actually make the playoffs. We're talking teams that don't deserve it.

I honestly think Edmonton had they had Price, Thomas, Rinne, they could have at least come close. That's a tough call because of their conference but their goaltending wasn't too good. Price could have won them a few more games at the very least.

As we've all seen from Thomas, a good goaltender can go very far. A good defense helps a lot too though. You look at Luongo and see him choking but at the same time his D haven't been stellar either. Boston is playing better overall and that helps a ton.
Very true. When we're talking about beating the best teams in the league in any given year, great goaltending is sometimes enough on its own, but it most often takes a solid effort from the defensive corps in front of him as well.

Ohashi_Jouzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:40 AM
windycity

I think we have tio resign ourselves to the Bruins winning the cup. Like I said yesterday before the game, Luongo is overrated and I have zero confidence in him. I hope his teammates still do but the Bruins have been the better team by far in this series and I think they win tomorrow . . . unfortunately.

windycity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Teufelsdreck

It's arrogant to suggest that the Habs are better, They were a 6th place team in the East while the Canucks had the best record in the NHL and won 3 playoff rounds. Yes, the Canucks are having their troubles with the Bruins on the road, but the Habs were eliiminated by the Bruins while the Canucks can still win the Cup.

Last edited by Teufelsdreck: 06-14-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:50 AM
SpezDispenser

Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooo.

SpezDispenser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:54 AM
Ollie Williams

vCash: 200
It would take a playoff series to properly answer this. On paper, they beat us. During the season however, they did not.

Ollie Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:09 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Habs play a tight defensive game and they have a great goalie. That's the reason they rarely get beatings like the Nucks are getting in Boston. Mind you, Habs also got their ***** handed to them in Boston this season. However, in the playoffs, Canadiens' defensive game helps them keeping games close and always having a chance to win. That's why they came so close to eliminate Boston. But no, the Habs aren't better than Vancouver. Habs' also wasted a 2-0 lead, plus, it was two wins in Boston. They also choked those leads in game 4... So no, they are not a better team than Vancouver but they sure are a tough team to play.

The Russian General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:28 PM
KiCaAw

Without question, the Vancouver roster is superior to that of the Canadiens.

The Canucks' defense is built for puck movement, and jumping into the play to support their forwards. It is debatable that the Canucks have six top flight forwards, and the depth has been exposed without Samuelsson, as Raymond has failed to produce in the post-season, and now he too, is done.

One problem we see now is that without Hamhuis, the Canucks have problems moving the puck up the ice. As well, the Bruins are mocking the Canucks powerplay, because Vancouver is no longer a threat without healthy point-shooters like Edler and Ehrhoff. At least the Canadiens had Subban to pound the puck, and that kept the Bruin's penalty killing honest.

In the end, it's all about team depth, and it is apparent that Vancouver is no deeper than Montreal. Vancouver has a blueline that is now patchwork, and Montreal fans know all too well how that works out.

So, who is better...I guess it depends on what part of the season it is.
In terms of broken vertabrae, both are the same, at one apiece, both thanks to the Bruins.

KiCaAw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:34 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiCaAw View Post
Without question, the Vancouver roster is superior to that of the Canadiens.

The Canucks' defense is built for puck movement, and jumping into the play to support their forwards. It is debatable that the Canucks have six top flight forwards, and the depth has been exposed without Samuelsson, as Raymond has failed to produce in the post-season, and now he too, is done.

One problem we see now is that without Hamhuis, the Canucks have problems moving the puck up the ice. As well, the Bruins are mocking the Canucks powerplay, because Vancouver is no longer a threat without healthy point-shooters like Edler and Ehrhoff. At least the Canadiens had Subban to pound the puck, and that kept the Bruin's penalty killing honest.

In the end, it's all about team depth, and it is apparent that Vancouver is no deeper than Montreal. Vancouver has a blueline that is now patchwork, and Montreal fans know all too well how that works out.

So, who is better...I guess it depends on what part of the season it is.
In terms of broken vertabrae, both are the same, at one apiece, both thanks to the Bruins.
depends. It's not related to the Bruins, but in terms of injuries we were also missing Markov and Gorges. Habs were yet again playing over expectations.

One thing though, considering this year's matchups of the Habs against Vancouver, I liked our chances if we played against the Nucks. 3-1 win without Markov and Gorges, and 2-0 win with almost the entire lineup. The new Habs match up well against the Nucks

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:04 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie Williams View Post
It would take a playoff series to properly answer this. On paper, they beat us. During the season however, they did not.
Wait, what? Pretty sure they beat us on the ice too.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:07 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Wait, what? Pretty sure they beat us on the ice too.
Actually they didnt... We beat them this year... Remember Price's BIG game against Vancouver?

Marchy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:09 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Actually they didnt... We beat them this year... Remember Price's BIG game against Vancouver?
Sorry for some reason I thought he was talking about the Bruins, not the Canucks

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAtTheCoolTable View Post
The league should take back the Vezina nomination from Luongo and give it to Price. Even at his worst when he was still learning on the job, Price was never as bad as Luongo's performances in Boston.
Henrik Lundqvist says hi.

Besides, finishing second to Thomas would not be a great feeling.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
Sorry for some reason I thought he was talking about the Bruins, not the Canucks
lol no worries You are right though that it WOULD definately take a series to answer this question...

Too many variables in the regular season to really judge who is better/worse.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:32 PM
Ozymandias
#firetherrien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
We beat them twice, 3-1 and 2-0.

Ozymandias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:35 PM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
If we made it I think we'd beat them. I just don't think we'd beat Tampa or even Philly. I know Philly got destroyed by Boston but different team different story. Tampa is the one I really think would have given us a hard time.

Not saying it's impossible but I just don't see it being likely. We were relying on whatever depth we had to get as far as we did, had many players playing injured. To me it was only a matter of time before that depth screwed us over.

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:42 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ozymandias View Post
and there you have it...

Thanks Ozy

Old
06-14-2011, 01:52 PM
Agnostic
11 Stanley Cups

I can only judge by the playoff hockey I've seen, but the players that have to be shaking their heads are the San Jose Sharks. They outplayed (129-77 SOG in last 3 games) Vancouver and you could see the emptying of the Vancouver tank at the end of that series.

Let Montreal play 18 playoff intensity games then put them in a rink with Vancouver for up to 7 more, I don't think they'd fare well.

On another note, Vancouver is one loss away from deep regret of that 12 year Luongo extension.

Agnostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:38 PM
Jigger77

I don't know that the Habs are better than the Canucks, but there is no doubt in my mind that we have better goaltending.

Yes, in my opinion Carey Price is a better goaltender than Roberto Luongo.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Russian Warrior
SWAG

Yes.

Russian Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:44 PM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

If you want to have a chance against the Bruins, you need to play disciplined and score on the powerplay.

Vancouver can't seem to do it, and Luongo ******** the bed on the road hasn't helped.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:11 PM
Darth Joker

When it comes to how the Habs and the Canucks each match up against the Bruins, the main difference is that the Habs know how to beat Thomas, while the Canucks clearly don't.

While Luongo has been horrible in his three road goames against Boston, the Canucks have struggled to score against Thomas in almost every game.

Game 1 - 1 goal

Game 2 - 3 goals

Game 3 - 1 goal

Game 4 - 0 goals

Game 5 - 1 goal

Game 6 - 2 goals

You add that up, and average it out, and the Canucks have managed a measly 1.33 goals per game on Boston in this series. It's a minor miracle, really, that the Canucks might still win this series and the Stanley Cup, even with an offensive showing that anemic.

Overall, the Canucks have a much better 1st line than we have, and have a better mix of size and speed. So, overall, I think the Canucks have a somewhat stronger team than we have.

However, our goaltending is more consistent, and we know how to score on Thomas.

In all seriousness, the Canucks should be studying Habs/Bruins video footage to learn how to beat Thomas. It's incredible the degree to which the Sedins and Kesler have done so little offensively this series. Unless they're playing with injuries, that's hard to explain.

Darth Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:23 PM
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpezDispenser View Post
Short answer: no.

Long answer: nooooooooooooooooooo.
Exactly - this thread should have been closed immediately... Totally ridiculous.

gusfring is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:29 PM
Habs

oh god, I'm holding back on this one... I think we are only allowed a couple infractions a month, I'm already at my limit.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:32 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Yes and No, it's pretty close but they have a better offensive punch and have a better D core. We could skate with them but they are bigger and much more physical then us especially their defensemans. It would be a hard fought series like the one we are seeing against Boston but I think we would come up short, we aren't that far though

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote