HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

17 Years Ago Today

Old
06-14-2011, 12:27 PM
rangerjoe

vCash: 500
the night before Game #7, my friend heard that single tickets were going on sale the morning on the game, so we hung out outside of the Garden the entire night. Needless to say, they didn't release tickets. We went home, got some sleep, then back into Manhattan around 430pm to get a great spot inside Beefsteak Charlies. I videotaped the whole night, it was amazing. We waited outside of the players entrance hoping to see the players, but we got nothing but a ton of funny video footage.

Here's dedication for ya - I lost my job to see them win the Cup and the parade, spent 3 weeks in NY, from the night of Game #7 vs Devils until the day after the parade...losing my job changed my life forever, and in a good way - I met my wife 2 years later at a new job and had my daughter. Better than 10 Stanley Cups

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:29 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
the night before Game #7, my friend heard that single tickets were going on sale the morning on the game, so we hung out outside of the Garden the entire night. Needless to say, they didn't release tickets. We went home, got some sleep, then back into Manhattan around 430pm to get a great spot inside Beefsteak Charlies. I videotaped the whole night, it was amazing. We waited outside of the players entrance hoping to see the players, but we got nothing but a ton of funny video footage.

Here's dedication for ya - I lost my job to see them win the Cup and the parade, spent 3 weeks in NY, from the night of Game #7 vs Devils until the day after the parade...losing my job changed my life forever, and in a good way - I met my wife 2 years later at a new job and had my daughter. Better than 10 Stanley Cups
care to share any of that video footage?

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:30 PM
Boom Boom Geoffrion*
CarciLOL

I was 13, almost 14, living out in Long Island... Second last day of school.. Wearing my autographed Richter jersey..

What an epic night.. It does still feel like it was yesterday..

Boom Boom Geoffrion* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:38 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotmonte View Post
I was graduating Highschool that year. Me and my friends went to another friends house where his parents were HUGE rangers fans (or so we THOUGHT!).

We go in the basement, and everytime someone checks, shoots, saves, takes a face-off we were all cheering (us teenagers. Not the Parents. They were upstairs doing GOD KNOWS WHAT while the Epic moment of Stanley Cup Game 7 Rangers were on!?!?).

Everytime we got a little louder than normal they would yell down to the stairs to "BE QUIET". I looked at my friend whos house it was and I gave him this, "YOU BETTER SHUT YOUR FRIKKIN PARENTS TRAPS UP RIGHT NOW OR I AM BUSTING YOUR LIP!"
lol

After the game one, the parents called ALL THE PARENTS to come pick us up. I was like ARE YOU KIDDING ME? I am 18 here and you called my mom to come get me?

Well they did and my mom did. I was soo pissed. I was missing VITAL POSTGAME COMMENTS, CHEERING. I had tears in my eyes from being in heaven that the Rangers just won.

In the car, my mother looks over to me and said, "What are you crying for? Tell your mother, I'll make it all better. Did they bother you while you were at Dannys house?!"

WTF?!??!?!?!

I was so mad now my mom thinks I am a P-U-$-$-_ and I am missing the post game.

I got home, yelled up to my fathers room, " THEY WON, THEY WON THEY WON!" hE CAME DOWN AND CELEBRATED WITH ME. This is a man who I swear (SERIOUSLY NOT KIDDING) never cracked a smile a day in his life (well, a day in MY life atleast and was a mean old son of a *****)

That night was just a calamity of awesomeness and being p-o'ed too. LOL

(Years later, they gave my father Ativan/lorazepam and now he tells jokes, smiles, tickles his grandkids and just loooooves my daughter). Its AMAZING what medication can do for SOME people. I really think I would have had a MUCH BETTER CHILDHOOD had my father beein on medication LOL

Back to topic at hand.

1994 WAS AWESOME AND I CAN NOT WAIT FOR ANOTHER ONE. And I am sorry to say, I feel as if it is not right around the corner unless we stop needing just ONE MORE HIGH PRICED FREE AGENT.
dude, hilarious story...

Old
06-14-2011, 12:41 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
This happened.

I was 20 years old, and watched it with my best friend down at his firehouse. Shortly after the game ended, a call came in, and we all had to leave. So I rushed home to watch the celebration with my dad and my sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Healthy Scratch View Post
Well thats depressing. 17 years? Just another reminder how long ago it was.
Haha..the way the MSG network shoves it down our throats every chance they get, it sometimes feels like it was yesterday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverfish View Post
Aw, you guys miss your hats?

My mom got 3, one for me and all my brothers, mine is the only one that remains I believe.

I was 4...don't remember it at all. Sam said it would last a lifetime, so I'd say I've got a pretty good shot at never seeing one
Haha...nice..although I must say that those are not the original hats. Those were the 2nd round of them. The 1994 on the white part was not on the original. It was in the black if I remember correctly. Can't find a pic of it, but if you look at pics of the Rangers wearing them, you can see the difference.

That said, I wish I had even the 2nd one. My mom only got one for my dad..and got all 3 of us T-shirts. But my buddy has one of the original ones!

Last edited by TonyTheGr8: 06-14-2011 at 12:53 PM.
TonyTheGr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:42 PM
McMonster

still have the hat... mint condition with the tags still on

McMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:50 PM
Orr Nightmare

It is very sad that it has been 17 years...we should be the Yankee's of hockey, we should be winning it every 5 years or so....

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:53 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
It is very sad that it has been 17 years...we should be the Yankee's of hockey, we should be winning it every 5 years or so....
we would if we just had a legit heavyweight! (just messin' with ya)

I could almost get thinking like that in the pre-cap era, but now? Not sure any team could be like that ever again.

allstar3970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:54 PM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblue9441 View Post
care to share any of that video footage?
I'll convert it from my DVD onto YouTube and post here this week...I remeber we caught Mike Fransceca walking out of the Garden, we stopped him and we were all talking to him, I flipped the video camera on and I said something along the lines of "you interview people so now it's time for me to interview you - tell everyone what it was like tonight when we made history at the bottom of the Stanley Cup tonight!" he was a good sport, he says "it feels great, hwhat do you think fellas, and about 10 people started going bananas around him.

Old
06-14-2011, 12:57 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I was 20 years old, and watched it with my best friend down at his firehouse. Shortly after the game ended, a call came in, and we all had to leave. So I rushed home to watch the celebration with my dad and my sister.

Haha..the way the MSG network shoves it down our throats every chance they get, it sometimes feels like it was yesterday.

Haha...nice..although I must say that those are not the original hats. Those were the 2nd round of them. The 1994 on the white part was not on the original. It was in the black if I remember correctly. Can't find a pic of it, but if you look at pics of the Rangers wearing them, you can see the difference.

That said, I wish I had even the 2nd one. My mom only got one for my dad..and got all 3 of us T-shirts. But my buddy has one of the original ones!
I got mine as soon as they came out in stores a day or two later. I couldn't find the on-ice version anywhere at the time.

Noonansgoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 12:58 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dsteppp View Post
still have the hat... mint condition with the tags still on
Nice! Original or the 2nd round of them?

Old
06-14-2011, 01:01 PM
TonyTheGr8
Window shut..for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonansgoal View Post
I got mine as soon as they came out in stores a day or two later. I couldn't find the on-ice version anywhere at the time.
Yeah, they are very rare. My buddy is the only one I know that has one, and I don't know how he got it. They went so quickly it was ridiculous!

Old
06-14-2011, 01:03 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post
we would if we just had a legit heavyweight! (just messin' with ya)

I could almost get thinking like that in the pre-cap era, but now? Not sure any team could be like that ever again.
Correction, 2 heavies....

fair enough but we are one of the biggest markets in any sport across the globe, we should have the best owner, best GM, best coach, best scouts and the best players...it is just sad that we have 1 cup in the last 57 years.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:08 PM
averyrule

I was 5 years old when that happened. I'm freakin 22 now! It's hard to believe it's been that long already!

averyrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:29 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
it is just sad that we have 1 cup in the last 57 years.
Don't you mean 1 cup in 73 years

Old
06-14-2011, 01:33 PM
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogie View Post
This happened.

lolz! i think everyone missed the point of this post. It's not about the cup, it's about the Troll and the Champagne.

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:37 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Don't you mean 1 cup in 73 years
even more depressed now.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:48 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
even more depressed now.
ok, 1 cup in 17 years

hey, its the truth.

Old
06-14-2011, 01:59 PM
trueblue9441

Send a message via AIM to trueblue9441
Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerjoe View Post
I'll convert it from my DVD onto YouTube and post here this week...I remeber we caught Mike Fransceca walking out of the Garden, we stopped him and we were all talking to him, I flipped the video camera on and I said something along the lines of "you interview people so now it's time for me to interview you - tell everyone what it was like tonight when we made history at the bottom of the Stanley Cup tonight!" he was a good sport, he says "it feels great, hwhat do you think fellas, and about 10 people started going bananas around him.
awesome.. bound to be some gems on there that im sure a lot would love to see

trueblue9441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:11 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

I was two years old.

I don't have the black and white hat, but my dad bought me a Champions hat that wasn't worn by the players and it's in all white.

Let's get another one soon, please.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:12 PM
Florida Ranger
Bring back Torts!

Quote:
ok, 1 cup in 17 years

hey, its the truth.
Switch the 1 and 7 around. That's the truth too.

Florida Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:16 PM
Noonansgoal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger de FLA View Post
Switch the 1 and 7 around. That's the truth too.
yup, and add 3

Old
06-14-2011, 02:19 PM
gotmonte

as for the hats.. here is the story

Models got the wrong shipment. They got the hats the rangers wore on the ice. They were supposed to get the one pictured in this thread.

I happened to get down to the mall before they opened (because now EVERYONE WAS A BANDWAGON FAN AND WANTED TO BUY EVERYTHING RANGERS RELATED! ) and my girlfriend bought me the hat, some shirts and some trinkets.

So I got the hat that wasnt supposed to be issued to the public. Or atleast thats what the Models manager told me at the time.

I still have the hat somewhere. I didnt want to ruin it but I think I wore it some.

Funny story on the side.. I went to the cigar store today I frequent with my truck and my NY PLate says, "DOMI" and some guy walks in and strikes up a conversation about Domi, the rangers and the stanley cup hat. I told him, WOW WE ARE HAVING A CONVERSATION ON HFBOARDS.COM ABOUT THIS. Whats the chances someone decides to talk to me about a stanley cup hat that was sold 17 years ago and at the same time having a thread mainly about a stanley cup hate from 17 years ago? ODD right?! lol

Anywho, I am going to go into the attic and look for it. I know I have SPARE 1994 Stanley Cup Patches the players wore on the ice. You can still get them for around 25-30 bucks. Everytime I come across one, I buy it. always thought they would be collectable and worth a lot of money. Its the one thing that is around in abundance. Oh and the mini-stanley cup trinket for the rangers. I bought a few of those thinking I hit gold. Now? Every sports store has like ten of them lol I could never be a stock broker. I buy all the wrong things and keep them thinking I have gold. Meantime I let go of the things that are priceless for nothing lol

gotmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
Hensch

I'll forever remember where i was when that happened (watching it with my parents in Kelowna, BC we all cheered for Mess and the Rangers living in deep Canuck land!), When Mess Grabbed that cup, this 12 year old at the time cried for the first time due to overwhelming happiness!

Hensch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:25 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

My family was watching it just because it was a NY team in the championships. They weren't big fans of hockey, but how I took to the Rangers as I grew up is enough for all of them.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote