HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Do stiffer skates always cost more?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
06-14-2011, 01:06 AM
  #1
night-timer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Do stiffer skates always cost more?

I have Bauer One95 skates that are very light-weight (which is why I bought them) but they are probably too stiff for me.

I figured by the time I become a good, advanced skater, the One95 skates will be right for me. I had them heat-moulded twice, but maybe I should've stuck with a cheaper style of boot to help my skating skills improve.

Apart from the stiffness of the One95s. I figured they would be well-constructed, leading to a longer working life than cheaper skates.

In particular, I really struggle with backards crossovers and 'iron cross' drills where you hop sidewards along a straight line in a crossover style. I guess I can't use my edges properly yet.

Anyway, is it a general rule that stiffer boots will always cost more than a supple skate?

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 03:30 AM
  #2
Thepandamancan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
More or less, yes. A stiffer boot generally means it's built better, with higher quality materials which is why it's more expensive.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:56 AM
  #3
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Yes, although I find that the Vapor series offer relatively stiff boots even at lower price-points, such as in the X:30 and 40. They might not fit you though, given you're in Supreme at the moment

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 01:22 PM
  #4
Placebo Effect
Registered User
 
Placebo Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Your Mind
Country: China
Posts: 7,155
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
Yes, although I find that the Vapor series offer relatively stiff boots even at lower price-points, such as in the X:30 and 40. They might not fit you though, given you're in Supreme at the moment
How about the mid point Supremes? I'm in CCM's (somewhat wide foot) but want to try on Bauer next time I'm in for skates to see if they'll fit me. Not sure Vapor will work for me but I can try I guess. Bottom line is I definitely need new skates with a much stiffer boot.

Placebo Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 02:56 PM
  #5
Thepandamancan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 232
vCash: 500
This is true...newer, lower price point boots are much stiffer now. Just know, they will break down quicker and depending on how much you use them.

Thepandamancan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:37 PM
  #6
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by spixel View Post
How about the mid point Supremes? I'm in CCM's (somewhat wide foot) but want to try on Bauer next time I'm in for skates to see if they'll fit me. Not sure Vapor will work for me but I can try I guess. Bottom line is I definitely need new skates with a much stiffer boot.
Nothing stood out for the Supremes imo. I was just shocked at how even the Junior skates offered such stiffness, especially if you compare the X:20s to the One40s.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:24 PM
  #7
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
I have Bauer One95 skates that are very light-weight (which is why I bought them) but they are probably too stiff for me.

I figured by the time I become a good, advanced skater, the One95 skates will be right for me. I had them heat-moulded twice, but maybe I should've stuck with a cheaper style of boot to help my skating skills improve.

Apart from the stiffness of the One95s. I figured they would be well-constructed, leading to a longer working life than cheaper skates.

In particular, I really struggle with backards crossovers and 'iron cross' drills where you hop sidewards along a straight line in a crossover style. I guess I can't use my edges properly yet.

Anyway, is it a general rule that stiffer boots will always cost more than a supple skate?
Assuming they fit you properly, one95s are absolutely fantastic skates, but they are very stiff. However, before buying new skates, try lacing them a bit differently. Most people like lateral stiffness, but people are pretty mixed on how much front/back stiffness they like. If you feel like you can't easily get a good, deep knee/ankle bend with your one95s, try leaving the top eyelet unlaced, just lace up to the second eyelet from the top (and obviously do not wrap your laces around your ankles). A lot of people prefer skating with the top eyelet unlaced, definitely worth a shot IMO if you want more forward flex out of your skates.

On a side note, how is the fit on your skates? When laced up and standing up straight, how far are your toes from the end of toe caps? Touching a lot, just barely/almost touching, or a significant distance (a couple milimeters or more) away? And in terms of width, do you feel like your feet are being squished (too narrow), a bit sloppy (too wide), or firmly held without negative space, but not painful (just right)? Finally, how is the heel lock, do your heels move up and down at all within the skate (once laced up) or are they firmly held in place?

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:11 PM
  #8
night-timer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 154
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Assuming they fit you properly, one95s are absolutely fantastic skates, but they are very stiff. However, before buying new skates, try lacing them a bit differently. Most people like lateral stiffness, but people are pretty mixed on how much front/back stiffness they like. If you feel like you can't easily get a good, deep knee/ankle bend with your one95s, try leaving the top eyelet unlaced, just lace up to the second eyelet from the top (and obviously do not wrap your laces around your ankles). A lot of people prefer skating with the top eyelet unlaced, definitely worth a shot IMO if you want more forward flex out of your skates.

On a side note, how is the fit on your skates? When laced up and standing up straight, how far are your toes from the end of toe caps? Touching a lot, just barely/almost touching, or a significant distance (a couple milimeters or more) away? And in terms of width, do you feel like your feet are being squished (too narrow), a bit sloppy (too wide), or firmly held without negative space, but not painful (just right)? Finally, how is the heel lock, do your heels move up and down at all within the skate (once laced up) or are they firmly held in place?

.... the skates fit me okay. Standing up straight, my toes barely brush the front of the boot. This, of course, leads to more room in that part of the boot when I bend my ankles and knees.... "just barely/almost touching", as you put it.

I've also had my feet looked at. Both "pronate significantly", meaning my ankles lean inwards (inside edge) so I may not be ideally centred on my blades when gliding. That makes it more difficult to get over onto the outside edges... I may need orthotic inserts, but custom jobs arent cheap. Know of a pre-made version that isn't a waste of time?

night-timer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:28 PM
  #9
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,515
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by night-timer View Post
.... the skates fit me okay. Standing up straight, my toes barely brush the front of the boot. This, of course, leads to more room in that part of the boot when I bend my ankles and knees.... "just barely/almost touching", as you put it.

I've also had my feet looked at. Both "pronate significantly", meaning my ankles lean inwards (inside edge) so I may not be ideally centred on my blades when gliding. That makes it more difficult to get over onto the outside edges... I may need orthotic inserts, but custom jobs arent cheap. Know of a pre-made version that isn't a waste of time?
Sounds like your skates are the right length, what about the width and heel lock?

In terms of inserts, if your feet pronate like crazy I think the only good option is custom orthotics, but they're obviously very expensive. But if it's just a bit of pronation, yellow Superfeet are awesome. The yellow ones are made for skates so they're nice and thin/low volume, but they offer a lot of arch support, and will significantly reduce pronation. I wear them in my skates, and love them, maybe the best hockey related purchase I've ever made. To fit them properly, chose the ones that fit your heel/arch best, as they're made with oversized forefeet that are meant to be trimmed (with scissors) to the size of your stock insoles. This video is decent in terms of fitting advice:


ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:08 AM
  #10
AIREAYE
Moderator
 
AIREAYE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: China
Posts: 3,294
vCash: 500
I'll vouch for Superfeet as well. They're not for everyone, but for the vast majority of purchasers, Superfeet provided a huge leap in terms of comfort and even feel/performance.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:40 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.