HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

17 Years Ago Today

Old
06-14-2011, 02:51 PM
Swept In Seven
Muh Offensive Talent

vCash: 116
I have the city of champions shirt with the rangers and knicks, along with a whole bunch of stuff.my parents bought me adult shirts so I would never grow out of it haha. I was almost 2 and dont remember, but my mom taped my reactions. I jumped up and down and screamed blueeeee

Swept In Seven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 03:47 PM
mti79

vCash: 50
I was 14 and it was a school night. Towards the end of the 3rd period my mom told me I had to go to bed. I tried arguing but it was to no avail. Then my Dad stepped in and intervened. I remember him saying, "he can stay up. Who knows when he'll have this chance again." I was allowed to stay up and see the Rangers win the Cup. I was beyond elated.

Thinking about this makes me happy and sad. Happy that I got to see it and sad that it's been so long. Also sad because my Dad passed away last year and this is just another reminder of good times we shared and how much I miss him...

mti79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 04:49 PM
Radek27

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Radek27
So all the kids we are watching getting drafted this year were born when we last won the cup.

Radek27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 05:14 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

I was 13 and finishing off 7th grade. That was a weird year with dating starting up, new social situations, learning about good music, Kurt Cobain had committed suicide a few months beforehand, and it was during finals at school. I watched alone that night because it was a school night and most of my friends were studying for an English final. My heart stopped when LaFayette hit the post and those final 10 minutes were beyond nerve wrecking in general.

The second it ended my best friend who I still see/watch games with/go to games with all the time called and we had a 5 minute celebratory conversation before back to "studying" and post game.

None of us could go to the Parade because we had a science final and all of the 5th and 6th graders like my neighbor made sure to rub it in.. On the English final the day after Game 7, over half my class wrote an essay on the Rangers and she gave us all automatic -15 points but it was such a joke.

I'd been watching the Rangers for about 5+ years at that point and I kind of took it for granted because they were always really good and winning the Division and two President's Trophies. I figured they'd be back another few times.

Much like the 86 Mets, it's sad how it all fell apart so quickly whether it was Keenan leaving or trading Zubov/Nostrom/etc...they should've lasted longer as a team and it's also sad how up to this point, that was the greatest era of Rangers hockey in my lifetime and the most success during that 89-97 run.

Mt favorite quote comes from my dad though who is not a hockey fan; "If the #%@#$% Rangers would've won this thing a week earlier, you would've done better on your finals." It sums up so much.

White Plains Batman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 05:48 PM
Giglio NYR15
Section 417

http://twitpic.com/5bmqhn

Somebody made this, nyr twitter retweeted it. wow so awesome.

Giglio NYR15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:21 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

That is fantastic.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
rangerjoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giglio NYR15 View Post
http://twitpic.com/5bmqhn

Somebody made this, nyr twitter retweeted it. wow so awesome.
Great! I have a ton of NY papers from the entire playoffs...love the sweep ones from ousting the Icelanders.

rangerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:23 AM
FATCHAMALA11
Kneel Before Zod

Can't wait for Vancouver to throw another Riot tonight 17 years and a day later.

FATCHAMALA11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:13 AM
3Four3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FATCHAMALA11 View Post
Can't wait for Vancouver to throw another Riot tonight 17 years and a day later.

"The images from last night's riot are more what we'd expect to see in a big American city."

Wow...way to stereotype there, and talk about having a short term memory; how the hell does Montreal allude you when writing/saying this garbage when what happened there occurred just one season prior?!

3Four3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:14 AM
asparkoflife

I was 8 years old running around my room late at night after this win. I then got that awesome black and white stanley cup champions hat.

Last edited by asparkoflife: 06-15-2011 at 09:23 AM.
asparkoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Jackson Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyTheGr8 View Post
I was 20 years old, and watched it with my best friend down at his firehouse. Shortly after the game ended, a call came in, and we all had to leave. So I rushed home to watch the celebration with my dad and my sister.

Haha..the way the MSG network shoves it down our throats every chance they get, it sometimes feels like it was yesterday.

Haha...nice..although I must say that those are not the original hats. Those were the 2nd round of them. The 1994 on the white part was not on the original. It was in the black if I remember correctly. Can't find a pic of it, but if you look at pics of the Rangers wearing them, you can see the difference.

That said, I wish I had even the 2nd one. My mom only got one for my dad..and got all 3 of us T-shirts. But my buddy has one of the original ones!
The difference was Stanley Cup was in white and Champions was in orange on the hats worn by the players. I have one of these hats someplace in my garage along with a clear, paper weight of the final game ticket that was given to season ticket holders.

I can't believe it's been 17 years...

Jackson Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:28 PM
backy

17 years ago in my country was a war many of my friends and relatives were killed in those days.I was 15 years old and I was just started to watch NHL.Those were dangerous times in my country.Watch on television rangers game helped me for a moment escape from war. I was overjoy when they won cup.

backy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 04:43 PM
Giacomin

The final 2 series that year were insane. The lows of being down in game 6 to the Devils to being up 3-1 to Vancouver and then finally winning game 7. I happened to be in Manhattan to watch the games. I remember being at Charley O,s for games 5 and 7 of the finals and it was so crowded it was at least 10 deep at the bar. Every bar within 10 blocks of MSG was jammed packed and when they finally held on to win the City erupted. Between the Rangers,Knicks and the O.J. Simpson incident May/June 1994 was probably the most memorable spring in my lifetime.

Giacomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-17-2011, 05:27 PM
Tawnos
BoH Mod Only

I'm absolutely touched that you guys have a thread to commemorate my 11th birthday every year...

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote