HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Kreider is staying at BC (Won't change mind. Summer school)

Old
06-14-2011, 06:29 PM
GAGLine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
This may sound dumb, but I don't think the focus should be on well-rounding his game...I want to him to develop into the best offensive player possible. This won't be the focus at BC, understandably so.
Very few players are so good offensively that they can ignore the defensive side of the game. Good defense will give him more opportunities to use his speed in transition. That's where Kreider will be dangerous. He's not going to be the type of player to carry the puck 200 feet. He's going to work off turnovers and quick breakout passes. being effective in the defensive and neutral zones will grant him more of those types of opportunities.

GAGLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:39 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
He's not more concerned about school. He said he doesn't feel NHL ready and wants to produce more than 24 points and he'll have the opportunity to do so this coming year.

What's wrong with him wanting to get a degree? If he got a career ending knee injury (knock on wood) he wants something to fall back on. His family also values education a lot. This isn't the NBA where guys only care about money and they leave after their freshman year and don't give a **** about a degree.

I really don't understand why ur giving Kreider grief for wanting to get a degree. He is playing hockey at the same time ya know...
Where am I giving Kreider grief? If you can't follow along,please just don't respond.

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 06:49 PM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

There are many NHL players who stayed in college for 3 years before turning pro. Drew Stafford,TJ Oshie,Matt Carle,David Backes,Brooks Orpik and Paul Martin are just a few examples. Their development was not hurt because they stayed in school instead of turning pro after their sophomore year.

Then you have Kyle Turris who left Wisconsin after his freshman year. Jack Skille left Wisconsin after his sophomore year. They both should have stayed in school if you look at how their careers have turned out. Both are still very young players but they weren't ready for pro hockey.

The Rangers feel Kreider is ready for pro hockey. They don't say ready for the NHL. They say Erixon is NHL ready. Kreider wants to be NHL ready. Needs to be more consistent. If you follow Kreider,he shows up for bright lights but doesn't show up for the games with Northeastern or Merrimack.

Quote:
"I don't feel like I'm ready for the NHL," the Rangers' 2009 first-round draft pick told Newsday by phone from Kosice, Slovakia, where he's playing for the U.S. team in the World Championships. "Another year [at Boston College] can't hurt."
http://www.newsday.com/sports/column...lege-1.2863395

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:00 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

I don't entirely understand why him going back to BC for 1 or 2 more years is so bad for him or the Rangers. It seems to me that people here may think he is better than he really is. I've seen him play a few games and from what I saw he was pretty good, but not great and more college hockey definetly won't hurt his development, especially since he will be getting more ice now that so many players ahead of him have left.

Also, I don't know who brought it up, but someone said something about him maybe not wanting to be a Ranger and I thought that was pretty funny because when we drafted him I remember thinkin to myself that he didn't seem that excited, but what do I know I don't know the guy. Maybe he will Erixon us to go to the Bruins.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:19 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post

Also, I don't know who brought it up, but someone said something about him maybe not wanting to be a Ranger and I thought that was pretty funny because when we drafted him I remember thinkin to myself that he didn't seem that excited, but what do I know I don't know the guy. Maybe he will Erixon us to go to the Bruins.
Probably more of a factor of his personality & demeanor than anything else. He sounds like a pretty serious guy who does not jump the gun and get ahead of himself. I.E. he can't get too excited about being a "Ranger" before he even makes it to that level and earns that privilege of wearing the jesrey. In the NYR.com write-up, they said:

Quote:
"One thing about Chris from the time we met him playing in Phillips Andover is that he has always been a very honest guy," said Jeff Gorton, the Rangers' Assistant Director, Player Personnel. "He says what's on his mind. ... Back then he wasn't like some of the other guys telling us he'd play (in the NHL) within a year or be doing something specific. Chris has always had a plan whether it's with his career or it's with his academics, and he has pretty much hit every goal he has set out to do."
McDonagh also took the cautious route after the Rangers traded for him. Any quotes/interviews he gave prior to this season, were a bit reserved IMHO. He said he was excited that a team had pursued him and wanted to trade for him, but he never really made any comments about being a Ranger or got ahead of himself before things actually played out. He waited until he got an introduction and acclimated to the organization before he even signed that contract and settled in, which strikes me as a calculated move by a smart guy who thinks things out. I'm quickly getting the impression that Kreider is a pretty intelligent guy who shows good character and will likely do the same.

On a speculative note, the NYR drafting Kreider could be seen as a very good outcome for Chris. Not only was he drafted by an Original 6 team with a storied history, but he was picked by an organization located in very close proximity to where he grew up and has family & friends and personal ties. Huge disparity being being drafted by a New York based team rather than say a Western Canadian team like Vancouver or Edmonton. Difference is a couple hours drive vs. a 3-4 hour flight to travel home, and the same goes for having friends/family traveling to come visit and watch you play.

Last edited by wolfgaze: 06-14-2011 at 07:31 PM.
wolfgaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:22 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Yeah Chris seems like a pretty serious guy. I just don't think he'd pull an Erixon since Stepan, his WJC and WC buddy is here. So is McDonagh who I hope gave him the wink wink nudge nudge about the Rangers at the WC.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:25 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
My money is on Kreider recording 50 or so points this year, and then inking a contract with us one year from now.

nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:30 PM
That Stepan Guy
Jefferek Stepaninner

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
My money is on Kreider recording 50 or so points this year, and then inking a contract with us one year from now.
I hope, if not, Facebook spam for him.

That Stepan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 07:42 PM
MrAlmost
We are Lokomotiv!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgaze View Post
Probably more of a factor of his personality & demeanor than anything else. He sounds like a pretty serious guy who does not jump the gun and get ahead of himself. I.E. he can't get too excited about being a "Ranger" before he even makes it to that level and earns that privilege of wearing the jesrey. In the NYR.com write-up, they said:

McDonagh also took the cautious route after the Rangers traded for him. Any quotes/interviews he gave prior to this season, were a bit reserved IMHO. He said he was excited that a team had pursued him and wanted to trade for him, but he never really made any comments about being a Ranger or got ahead of himself before things actually played out. He waited until he got an introduction and acclimated to the organization before he even signed that contract and settled in, which strikes me as a calculated move by a smart guy who thinks things out. I'm quickly getting the impression that Kreider is a pretty intelligent guy who shows good character and will likely do the same.

On a speculative note, the NYR drafting Kreider could be seen as a very good outcome for Chris. Not only was he drafted by an Original 6 team with a storied history, but he was picked by an organization located in very close proximity to where he grew up and has family & friends and personal ties. Huge disparity being being drafted by a New York based team rather than say a Western Canadian team like Vancouver or Edmonton. Difference is a couple hours drive vs. a 3-4 hour flight to travel home, and the same goes for having friends/family traveling to come visit and watch you play.
For sure. I don't think he would actually do that and I guess I brought that up partly because, to me, when we drafted him it seemed obvious he would be in college for a long time, andthats not a bad thing. Having an education is more important in my opinion because crazy things happen. But, alas, very good points sir. Thank you.

MrAlmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:11 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Yeah Chris seems like a pretty serious guy. I just don't think he'd pull an Erixon since Stepan, his WJC and WC buddy is here. So is McDonagh who I hope gave him the wink wink nudge nudge about the Rangers at the WC.
Bourque is also his childhood friend and they played together at the WJC's

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:13 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Where am I giving Kreider grief? If you can't follow along,please just don't respond.
I have been following along. I've seen every post on this thread. Sorry for what I said though. I just feel like it's my duty to defend Kreider cuz many people here are giving him **** so I speculated on your post a bit wrong. Sorry bout that lol

Old
06-14-2011, 08:38 PM
jas
Unsatisfied

Particular items from the article on NHL.com that stuck with me -

Quote:
He is smart, articulate, thoughtful, and most notably, he manages to be frank and forthright while also being extremely humble for a person of his ability. Kreider will tell you exactly what is on his mind, particularly when it comes to matters of self-assessment, and he is the first to say he feels he has a lot more to prove even though his hockey resume is already so impressive.
Quote:
"One thing about Chris from the time we met him playing in Phillips Andover is that he has always been a very honest guy," said Jeff Gorton, the Rangers' Assistant Director, Player Personnel. "He says what's on his mind. ... Back then he wasn't like some of the other guys telling us he'd play (in the NHL) within a year or be doing something specific. Chris has always had a plan whether it's with his career or it's with his academics, and he has pretty much hit every goal he has set out to do."
Quote:
Among U.S. players who appeared in two World Junior tournaments, only Jeremy Roenick and Brian Gionta scored more goals than Kreider, whose 10-goal total equals the number scored by longtime NHL superstars John LeClair and Mike Modano. Kreider is also one of only three college freshmen (along with current NHL stars Erik Johnson and Phil Kessel) to make the U.S. World team since 1990.
Quote:
"We never expected huge numbers in college because of the depth of the program that they had, but in making the World Championship team last year and then this year he played quite a bit more," said Clark. "You just don't step into that kind of competition and score and get some points unless you're going to be some kind of a top-2 line player (in the NHL)."
I'm disappointed he's going back to BC, but, I still believe he is the most talented prospect the Rangers have had in overall ability since Alex Kovalev...size, skating, soft hands, great shot and patience...there's a reason he plays well in big spots. Obviously, he needs to work on focus and consistency, and, that would appear to be part of the reason he's headed back to BC, as he feels he can do better.

jas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:36 PM
wafflepadsave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAlmost View Post
I don't entirely understand why him going back to BC for 1 or 2 more years is so bad for him or the Rangers. It seems to me that people here may think he is better than he really is. I've seen him play a few games and from what I saw he was pretty good, but not great and more college hockey definetly won't hurt his development, especially since he will be getting more ice now that so many players ahead of him have left.

If he is not ready, then don't sign. I'd love to see him play one year of junior hockey.

wafflepadsave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu0fguXaPgA

This is the TSN feed but on the NHL Network feed, Gary Thorne was talking about how Kreider has made the slot his office in the NCAA and in the tourny. Can't wait to see his big frame in front of the net on the Power Play with snipes like that.

Old
06-15-2011, 03:35 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Quote:
Originally Posted by HagelinForPresident View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vu0fguXaPgA

This is the TSN feed but on the NHL Network feed, Gary Thorne was talking about how Kreider has made the slot his office in the NCAA and in the tourny. Can't wait to see his big frame in front of the net on the Power Play with snipes like that.
I think he is being misused in the slot like that. A guy like Stepan gets more shooting opportunities on the power play then Kreider gets when he's sitting in the slot.

For every power play like that during the WJC, there were 5 where Kreider just stood in the front and didn't touch the puck at all.

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote