HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

THe Habs were the toughest team the Bruins played -- by a lot

Closed Thread

Old
06-14-2011, 05:33 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
That first round matchup still gives me nightmares. The best, toughest, tensest, most ANNOYING games in the postseason were the 7 against a certain Montreal team. Your team played really well, and the initial matchup was much closer than 3rd-seed-6th seed indicates. The teams were separated by what, 7 points in the season? And each game was close and tense, especially after game 4.

Compare that to the other series my team has played.

Flyers? Pfft, BLOWOUT. They had no chance and it showed.

Lightning? Ehh well they made it close, but the Bruins owned them all the way in game 7. Once it actually got that far, it was pretty clear they were exhausted, they couldn't keep pressure against a good checking system, and their aging goalie finally made the fatal mistake. Compare that to the overtime game 7 in the first round. No contest whatsoever.

Vancouver might win the Cup yet and it will still be a pretty lame series defined by nasty words and nasty actions, not by the play on the ice. That's why the Habs series IMHO was much better than the current one. For the most part both teams are content to leave the series on the ice when the Bruins and Habs meet. Probably because we know we'll see each other again!

Watching how the Canucks go about their business gives me a better appreciation for how relatively OK the Habs play. Your team is WAY mentally tougher than the Canucks who seem to be completely unable to play competitive hockey in our barn -- the Habs got over that ages ago.

Besides, even with all the stunts players like Subban like to pull on the ice they aren't as dirty or as disrespectful as the Vancouver team.

And Price is what Luongo has always been told he is, so that's something too. I don't think Price would ever run his mouth like that without backing it up with at least a strong effort.

Since the Nucks series has basically been 3 snoozers and 3 blowouts and I can't think of another truly epic playoff series that was as well fought on both sides and truly TENSE as that first round matchup, I thought I'd give props where it was due.

Anyway, just wanted to pass a compliment along, since having a chance to realize that even with all the terrible things my fellow Bruins fans and I say about the Habs, there's DEFINITELY worse out there. So there's that as well.

I'm also convinced that if, God forbid, the Habs had gotten through us, they would be here now, playing the Nucks. I can't think which of the Flyers or the Lightning was supposed to stop them. But that's just my speculation. Who knows?
I'm not so sure. I think the habs would have ran out of gas for the 2nd round. Keep in kind that the habs were missing their top defensive pair in markov and gorges, to go with pacioretty et al. before the series even started, and halpern was about 50% at best by the time he got into the series.

By the end of the series, wisniewski couldnt hold his stick, eller was due for shoulder surgery, darche required surgery, and desharnais' knee had him done for multiple weeks.

The team simply ran out of bodies especially on D, and the supporting cast was just overtaxed. So even if they got by Boston, I really think that was the end of the line for montreal.

Old
06-14-2011, 05:37 PM
Melvin Udall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitaine Gionta View Post
Laraque was useless and wasn't making this team tougher. It's not even debatable.
Your point about Laroque has some validation.

But the point of the post is about the Habs (possibly) becoming a tougher team, Larouque was merely used as an example of how Habs management would approach such a suggestion.

Whether Laroque was or wasn't useful for the HABS, have the Habs replaced his toughness in their lineup?

The suggestion by the OP was for the Habs to become tougher.....just don't see Gauthier making this team tougher, smaller(?) - possibly (if indeed that is possible); tougher - not likely!

Fact is...I see Gauthier taking a position similar to that of GL.

What if this is.......as good as it gets?

Old
06-14-2011, 07:20 PM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin Udall View Post

But the point of the post is about the Habs (possibly) becoming a tougher team, Larouque was merely used as an example of how Habs management would approach such a suggestion.

Whether Laroque was or wasn't useful for the HABS, have the Habs replaced his toughness in their lineup?

The suggestion by the OP was for the Habs to become tougher.....just don't see Gauthier making this team tougher, smaller(?) - possibly (if indeed that is possible); tougher - not likely!

So your point being, we could never have made it, and seeing our current team agenda, we will never make it.

Gee, talk about a winner attitude. No wonder people are so cynic.

Old
06-14-2011, 07:35 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
I'm not so sure. I think the habs would have ran out of gas for the 2nd round. Keep in kind that the habs were missing their top defensive pair in markov and gorges, to go with pacioretty et al. before the series even started, and halpern was about 50% at best by the time he got into the series.

By the end of the series, wisniewski couldnt hold his stick, eller was due for shoulder surgery, darche required surgery, and desharnais' knee had him done for multiple weeks.

The team simply ran out of bodies especially on D, and the supporting cast was just overtaxed. So even if they got by Boston, I really think that was the end of the line for montreal.
yeah you really need to take into account that everyone was pretty well dead after game 7

Old
06-14-2011, 07:47 PM
jlgib21*

Quote:

He was going to make us tougher,then gets rid of our two leaders in hits (O'Byrne and Laps) in favor of two of the softest habs in memory(Picard,Halpern). He's full of crap as is ownership. They are taking advantage of a loyal and rabid fanbase.I saw the Jacobs and Wirtz operate this way w/the Bruins/Hawks for 25 yrs

Old
06-14-2011, 08:50 PM
Evik

Omg, can't wait for next year. Canadiens will be better, a lot better.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:01 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
He was going to make us tougher,then gets rid of our two leaders in hits (O'Byrne and Laps) in favor of two of the softest habs in memory(Picard,Halpern). He's full of crap as is ownership. They are taking advantage of a loyal and rabid fanbase.I saw the Jacobs and Wirtz operate this way w/the Bruins/Hawks for 25 yrs
Lapierre was dealt because he asked for a trade. He demanded larger role, the team told him to stuff it and play. HE asked for the exit outta town.

BTW, Lapierre was replaced with White.
Halpern had a role on this team with or without Lapierre... But if you watch them skate...
White is the reserve center/ RW'er that Lapierre's role once was. He's ROUGHER than Lapierre ever could dream to be.

And O-bi Wan... I didnt like the deal... But from all the reports, Bournival is a Solid Prospect.

If ANYONE took his role on this team, it was Subban's emergence.

They simply cannot keep everyone...

They had Weber and Subban emerging at the same time, and here's O-Bi... 3 years later, and still trying to bring his game.

They also had Markov, Gorges, Spacek, Hamrlik, just to name a few others... O-Bi was definately a liability defensively, and the habs cut him loose when they got a good deal for him. Is he emerging in Colorado? yes and no... He played great when he first got there, then it tapered off in to regular O-Bi play.
Bournival's stock rose prominantly at the WU17's and he plays REAL hard... not for the feint at heart from what I understand. His intensity matches that of Leblanc's, in that he hates to lose. I'll take that quality any day, and any way I can get it.

That's bread and butter stuff.

Picard was a spare part, and did OK in that role.

Halpern actually suited a need, to provide additional support up the middle with greaat face off numbers (around 58%) and being the only RH centerman on the team. Lapierre, was proving while he was here... That he couldnt hold up Halperns Jockstrap. He was slipping in to the -'s again... He was not scoring... again...

Halpern was helping the team, and was a much bigger piece to this team than advertised. He was brought in during training camp, probbly when they realized that Eller wasnt going to answer all problems RIGHT away...

Old
06-14-2011, 09:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgib21 View Post
Think it through. Picard gave way to Wisniewski, who's better than O'Byrne. Now Gauthier has brought in (Y)Emelin, a physical player who's more talented than O'Byrne. Lapierre was unhappy in Montréal and Halpern did a better job this season. I'd also have preferred keeping Moore over Lapierre, who took too many penalties.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:13 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Think it through. Picard gave way to Wisniewski, who's better than O'Byrne. Now Gauthier has brought in (Y)Emelin, a physical player who's more talented than O'Byrne. Lapierre was unhappy in Montréal and Halpern did a better job this season. I'd also have preferred keeping Moore over Lapierre, who took too many penalties.

i'm all for pumping up our prospects, but at this point what have you seen from Emelin that tells you he's more talented then O'byrne? I ask that in all seriousness, because I haven't seen much of Emelin and as much as he has looked pretty good in the few glimpses I have seen, I wouldn't be ready to assert that he could handle 20min/game on a top pairing at the NHL level, at least not yet...

O'byrne, on the flip side, proved quite firmly, that he can be a solid top-4 player and can handle top-pairing minutes/role IF given a chance (which he failed to get in montreal for reasons unknown).

hard to say much about Lapierre... he certainly has shown these playoffs (and last year, with us), that he can be a very effective 3rd line player or a great 4th line player. Perhaps he would have always wanted too much in montreal, but it's pretty remarkable that the guy couldn't get consistent ice time with us but then ends up getting it with the president's trophy winners. What I've seen of Lapierre throughout these playoffs has been more than what Halpern gave us vs Boston...

Old
06-14-2011, 09:29 PM
TheBourkeIdentity

Quote:
Originally Posted by theboss View Post
I hate the Bruins. They are a lucky team. They know they got lucky against the Habs.
I'll agree that they got lucky to an extent, but they worked hard to create that luck with an aggressive checking system that can force turnovers and allows their players to make space near the net. Do enough of that and the lucky bounces ARE going to go your way. So yes, it's "luck", but it's hard earned luck.

I've always liked the Bs and our rivalry with them (maybe because before last year I didn't post on hockey message boards and read all the pointless name calling, b*tching and whinging between our fan bases), although this year a little less due to the MaxPac hit. But I don't really want to get into that here.

So thanks for the kind words Dojjii and other Bruins fans posting in this thread and being gracious in victory. I'd watch a Bruins / Habs game over a few beers with most of you no problem.

As for game 7... Go Bruins! Wipe the floor with the smug western conference ********.

Old
06-14-2011, 09:37 PM
KingKovy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patccmoi View Post
Hrm, you do realize that if we were not injured, in good part because of your team, you likely wouldn't be past the first round right? Not sure why exactly we're supposed to adapt our team to your playstyle...?

To me the Bruins-Habs rivalry was all fun and games until the start of the year, and living in Boston I had quite a bit of fun about it with my boss and friends about it. But I don't even talk to them about it anymore, because it's not fun for me at this point. Ofc from your side it can keep being fun. You don't see one of your guy get his neck broken, and other vets get beat down by 4th line thugs when they don't even want to fight, seeing Ference flip the finger at the crowd (not that this bothered me all that much, just thought he was an idiot) and headshotting Halpern.

The Bruins should've had loads of suspension this year and nearly never got anything, and so they came to think that it's fine and there's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing elbows at the head (which Marchand did at least 4-5 times this year, got suspended once) or sucker punches when a game is sure to be won or loss. It's 'showing emotion'. Well sorry, I don't like or support diving anymore than you do (except I can see that my team do it, something Bruins fans seem unable to do, Ference, Marchand, Peverley, Chara, Bergeron and even Thomas are all diving and embellishing regularly you just don't realize it because your media don't spend 60 minutes on a highlight of them doing it), but to me doing stuff that's dangerous to other player's health is a hell of a lot worse, and that's what Bruins have been getting away with all year.

I'd like to act as if it's all fun and a good old rivalry, but I can't anymore. It's not fun. Fun is when it's about hockey. You can have fights between people that want to fight, sure. Shoving and pushing after the whistle, facewash, etc. was always part of the game even if I think it's a waste of time (without the sucker punches...).

But the absolute lack of respect of opponents, whining to the media, and incredible hypocrisy going on here just became unbearable to me, maybe because I'm surrounded in it. Once your players stop trying to injure everyone around them with full league immunity while your media calls practically every team you face full of divers, gutless weasels without ever taking a look at your own players doing the exact same thing night in and night out, maybe it can be fun once more.

I have been feeling the exact same way.. I NEVER believe in conspiracy theories or favoritism and always feel like our fans (habs) exaggerate but after seeing Rome get a scf 4 game suspension on a hit that wasn't even as late or as bad as Chara's and he got NOTHING even in the regular season is beyond me. It seems like EVERY call is always in the Bruins favor and they they sucker punch after the whistle all the time and never get punished. I used to have a lot of respect for Chara but when he loses it ... Ans Lucic seems to give a lot of Bertuzzi like punches from behind and gets away with nothing.. I think the combination of Gregory Campbell being Collin's son and Chiarelli and company sleeping with Buttman has, for the first time in my lifetime anyways, truely seen the league favor one team in EVERY grey zone decision. That is the reason I have no respect for that team.

I hate the Claude Julien, this is not in the nature of such or such player everytime something happens.. I despise that idiot with the lisp every time he speaks

I am however impressed with Tim Thomas general attitude and performance.. Even though I hate him, I can admit he is a classy individual.. Besides that, the whole bruins organization is dirty..

Old
06-14-2011, 10:11 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

cry-cry-cry

bottom line is: it was a good series to watch, very close, and contrary to what i was expecting, it was a clean, hard fought series. so thank you for that boston

Old
06-14-2011, 11:00 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
They did. They replaced a useless player that brought no toughness and nothing else (he could barely skate...)by someone else. Laraque was the absolute worst player I've seen with the Habs and I went through the end of nineties where Habs had terrible teams.

Old
06-14-2011, 11:48 PM
guapo23

Cheers to the OP for his kind words.

This year I discovered a lot more rational Boston posters
on HF. Happy that i was able to have some civil discussions during the playoffs.

This playoff I have also been very impressed with Boston being clutch.
When the chips are down they always find a way to win.
Thomas has been totally amazing.

My problem is not with Boston's team : ,y problem is with the inconsistent officiating. Boston is doing what they have to do to win.
They know the refs are not calling certain kinds of infractions
and Boston has a tough team that can take advantage of the grey areas.

Once they learn how to win and lose with class, I will respect them even more :
No need to call out opposing players to the media after a win or loss.
No need to start fights in the last minutes of a game when the game is out of reach.
etc...

Old
06-15-2011, 12:06 AM
number 11

Quote:
Hrm, you do realize that if we were not injured, in good part because of your team, you likely wouldn't be past the first round right? Not sure why exactly we're supposed to adapt our team to your playstyle...?

To me the Bruins-Habs rivalry was all fun and games until the start of the year, and living in Boston I had quite a bit of fun about it with my boss and friends about it. But I don't even talk to them about it anymore, because it's not fun for me at this point. Ofc from your side it can keep being fun. You don't see one of your guy get his neck broken, and other vets get beat down by 4th line thugs when they don't even want to fight, seeing Ference flip the finger at the crowd (not that this bothered me all that much, just thought he was an idiot) and headshotting Halpern.

The Bruins should've had loads of suspension this year and nearly never got anything, and so they came to think that it's fine and there's absolutely nothing wrong with throwing elbows at the head (which Marchand did at least 4-5 times this year, got suspended once) or sucker punches when a game is sure to be won or loss. It's 'showing emotion'. Well sorry, I don't like or support diving anymore than you do (except I can see that my team do it, something Bruins fans seem unable to do, Ference, Marchand, Peverley, Chara, Bergeron and even Thomas are all diving and embellishing regularly you just don't realize it because your media don't spend 60 minutes on a highlight of them doing it), but to me doing stuff that's dangerous to other player's health is a hell of a lot worse, and that's what Bruins have been getting away with all year.

I'd like to act as if it's all fun and a good old rivalry, but I can't anymore. It's not fun. Fun is when it's about hockey. You can have fights between people that want to fight, sure. Shoving and pushing after the whistle, facewash, etc. was always part of the game even if I think it's a waste of time (without the sucker punches...).

But the absolute lack of respect of opponents, whining to the media, and incredible hypocrisy going on here just became unbearable to me, maybe because I'm surrounded in it. Once your players stop trying to injure everyone around them with full league immunity while your media calls practically every team you face full of divers, gutless weasels without ever taking a look at your own players doing the exact same thing night in and night out, maybe it can be fun once more.
couldn't have said it better myself.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:23 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

sorry OP, you post is all nice... but dont expect much respect for your team from this fanbase...

Not with all the baboonery coming from your players, especially this year.

Old
06-15-2011, 05:01 AM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
sorry OP, you post is all nice... but dont expect much respect for your team from this fanbase...

Not with all the baboonery coming from your players, especially this year.
+1

Yep... The Bruins have officially become my most HATED team this year.

Old
06-15-2011, 05:32 AM
Lonny Bohonos
Kassian = P.A.G.A.N

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dojji View Post
That first round matchup still gives me nightmares. The best, toughest, tensest, most ANNOYING games in the postseason were the 7 against a certain Montreal team. Your team played really well, and the initial matchup was much closer than 3rd-seed-6th seed indicates. The teams were separated by what, 7 points in the season? And each game was close and tense, especially after game 4.

Compare that to the other series my team has played.

Flyers? Pfft, BLOWOUT. They had no chance and it showed.

Lightning? Ehh well they made it close, but the Bruins owned them all the way in game 7. Once it actually got that far, it was pretty clear they were exhausted, they couldn't keep pressure against a good checking system, and their aging goalie finally made the fatal mistake. Compare that to the overtime game 7 in the first round. No contest whatsoever.

Vancouver might win the Cup yet and it will still be a pretty lame series defined by nasty words and nasty actions, not by the play on the ice. That's why the Habs series IMHO was much better than the current one. For the most part both teams are content to leave the series on the ice when the Bruins and Habs meet. Probably because we know we'll see each other again!

Watching how the Canucks go about their business gives me a better appreciation for how relatively OK the Habs play. Your team is WAY mentally tougher than the Canucks who seem to be completely unable to play competitive hockey in our barn -- the Habs got over that ages ago.

Besides, even with all the stunts players like Subban like to pull on the ice they aren't as dirty or as disrespectful as the Vancouver team.

And Price is what Luongo has always been told he is, so that's something too. I don't think Price would ever run his mouth like that without backing it up with at least a strong effort.

Since the Nucks series has basically been 3 snoozers and 3 blowouts and I can't think of another truly epic playoff series that was as well fought on both sides and truly TENSE as that first round matchup, I thought I'd give props where it was due.

Anyway, just wanted to pass a compliment along, since having a chance to realize that even with all the terrible things my fellow Bruins fans and I say about the Habs, there's DEFINITELY worse out there. So there's that as well.

I'm also convinced that if, God forbid, the Habs had gotten through us, they would be here now, playing the Nucks. I can't think which of the Flyers or the Lightning was supposed to stop them. But that's just my speculation. Who knows?
I loled.

Until next year eh?

Somewhere a Vancouver fan is writing this same post on the CHI boards.

Old
06-15-2011, 06:11 AM
Whitesnake
Habs of steel

Quote:

Our major injuries were Markov, Gorges and MaxPac. Only MaxPac comes from Boston. The problem is that, isn't it what a majority of people in a fanbase does unfortunately? Are you saying that we are able to see things in our own team the same way the opponents are saying? PK is criticized way more than he should, but he does deserve some flak from time to time....are we criticizing him for that? Or are all using the hypocrizy you are talking about? This is what bothers me the most about "some" Bruins fans, is exactly what you said.....Though I'm pretty sure they can the same about us. The whole Komi-Lucic argument started this whole mess. But we saw it OUR way, they saw it their way. They are build the way they are with the APPROBATION of the league. You want to blame them for using the tools they have? Blame the league and their refs instead. I know that if the league do not want to lose the toughness the Bruins bring, why not counter attack with what they have. Mind you, their "goons" CAN play hockey. It's not like they are filled with 20 McGratton. Geez, at one point I was not even sure that getting Chris Kelly and Rich Peverly was Bruins-like and yet those guys are doing a fine job for them by playing hockey.

Like it or not, goonery or not, you'd take most of those guys on our team. And the reason for it, though I don't know if it's YOUR strategy, is that most people nowadays are talking about Kenopka....Rupp....and others to fill our lineup. Something tells me it's not to score goals. Yes, that beating our Habs episode was disgusting. Hate it immensely and I blame them for it, but that was one episode. The Chara incident as well, and I blamed Chara for it too. It doesn't change the fact that the MAJORITY of games between the 2 teams has been hard fought and fun games to watch. But what I think is that most fans will adapt their view of the game by the way our management act. Clearly, Gauthier and Martin don't believe in toughness that much, well you read tons of "Well Bruins hockey is not hockey".....I just wonder if we change management who suddenly believes in it....will it then be fine? Or will people come here and be outraged at the type of hockey we will be playing or will we suddenly read "Take that Bruins, live by the sword, die by the sword" type of arguments.

End result is that they play with what's given to them. They use it to their advantage. But it's not the only team who does it....people should watch Chris Pronger play to see how much things he gets away with? So what's the correlation? When you play that type of hockey Brian Burke loves so much, they won't be able to penalize you all the time. You do make some penalties statements....but then if it goes on and the games means a lot, you're fine. Habs wise, well we prefer fast feet. So be it, it is a nice trait to have on a team. I just don't believe it should be the only ones and frankly NEITHER did the Habs in periods when they were REALLY succesful. The GM in Gainey that we had and didn't seem to beleive in toughness didn't remember that when his team was succesful, they had that perfect mix. A mix he was himself part of. And sometimes, the Habs were playing that type of hockey you seems to hate. We'd drool to have a Chris Nilan on our team....but he was not the nicest man in a rink....And that's also hypocrisy.
Their medias? Absolutely. Another example of inferiority complex. Can't believed it from Kevin Paul Dupont who I used to like very much.....but then we have a couple of our guys here who are also totally disrespectful towards the Bruins. The diving comments? Can't stand it. Absolutely childish and stupid. Doesn't mean some aren't doing it but they all do. What pisses me off the most is the Marchand-Subban comparison. And it's not solely coming from Boston. I keep hearing Ian Laperrière still badmouthing Subban, while admitting he's a great player, but says that Marchand is great at getting under people's skin....Totally biased but that seems to run throughout the league. Marchand does his job, Subban will get it someday....I just can't stand it and don't agree with it....But that's some examples over a whole lot of things that can't be disregarded.

To answer the OP, the Habs were the toughest team because it was the 1st round, often the toughest round and because the matchup is great for our team because the Habs are still in Bruins head though I'm not sure for how long now. Bruins have beaten the Habs in the playoffs lately.....But our team will never quit and I believed surprised the Bruins in the first 2 games. Nobody expected it, not even us. Kudos to our team.

Last edited by Whitesnake: 06-15-2011 at 06:18 AM.
Old
06-15-2011, 07:24 AM
Perrah

Quote:
Originally Posted by guapo23 View Post
Cheers to the OP for his kind words.

This year I discovered a lot more rational Boston posters
on HF. Happy that i was able to have some civil discussions during the playoffs.

This playoff I have also been very impressed with Boston being clutch.
When the chips are down they always find a way to win.
Thomas has been totally amazing.

My problem is not with Boston's team : ,y problem is with the inconsistent officiating. Boston is doing what they have to do to win.
They know the refs are not calling certain kinds of infractions
and Boston has a tough team that can take advantage of the grey areas.

Once they learn how to win and lose with class, I will respect them even more :
No need to call out opposing players to the media after a win or loss.
No need to start fights in the last minutes of a game when the game is out of reach.
etc...
You must be posting in some enchanted forum because i would say maybe 3 people have actually taken up some sort of dialogue with me to discuss things, the rest being as intelligent as a bag of rocks. Even with the hypocrisy on full display for everyone to see they deny any connection and keep going on about the rome suspension being from a head hit even though Murphy said it was due to interference and not the head hit.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:26 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by nilan30 View Post
Too bad they didn't award points for losing in OT in the playoffs and it went by points instead of wins. Habs would have won 9 points to 8. As someone said I don't think you could be more IN a series and not win it. Only trailing once after three periods in seven games and not winning. Not to mention the fourth loss was basically a one goal loss plus an empty netter. OUch.
True. Not saying we would have advanced far...but in 40 years of Habs watching, I've never seen them lose such a close series...Buffalo once in the seventies, maybe Calgary 89, that's it.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost # 1 View Post
Lapierre was dealt because he asked for a trade. He demanded larger role, the team told him to stuff it and play. HE asked for the exit outta town.

BTW, Lapierre was replaced with White.
Halpern had a role on this team with or without Lapierre... But if you watch them skate...
White is the reserve center/ RW'er that Lapierre's role once was. He's ROUGHER than Lapierre ever could dream to be.

And O-bi Wan... I didnt like the deal... But from all the reports, Bournival is a Solid Prospect.

If ANYONE took his role on this team, it was Subban's emergence.

They simply cannot keep everyone...

They had Weber and Subban emerging at the same time, and here's O-Bi... 3 years later, and still trying to bring his game.

They also had Markov, Gorges, Spacek, Hamrlik, just to name a few others... O-Bi was definately a liability defensively, and the habs cut him loose when they got a good deal for him. Is he emerging in Colorado? yes and no... He played great when he first got there, then it tapered off in to regular O-Bi play.
Bournival's stock rose prominantly at the WU17's and he plays REAL hard... not for the feint at heart from what I understand. His intensity matches that of Leblanc's, in that he hates to lose. I'll take that quality any day, and any way I can get it.

That's bread and butter stuff.

Picard was a spare part, and did OK in that role.

Halpern actually suited a need, to provide additional support up the middle with greaat face off numbers (around 58%) and being the only RH centerman on the team. Lapierre, was proving while he was here... That he couldnt hold up Halperns Jockstrap. He was slipping in to the -'s again... He was not scoring... again...

Halpern was helping the team, and was a much bigger piece to this team than advertised. He was brought in during training camp, probbly when they realized that Eller wasnt going to answer all problems RIGHT away...
I like your writing, and that was an an intelligent post.

Old
06-15-2011, 10:58 AM
JohnLennon

Habs-Bruins was the best series of the playoffs in my opinion.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:25 PM
Marchy79

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
I like your writing, and that was an an intelligent post.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

All I saw was two weak teams that were trying to not make too many mistakes. Unfortunetly they made a lot. You would watch the games in the west and it was speed, physical, unbelievable hockey and then you watch the games in the East and it was horrible. That's why I don't get why the Canucks are having problems with the Bruins, in my book they are vastly supperior and we saw that in game 5. It seems to me like the Nucks are exausted having faced Chicago, Nashville and San Jose. There's no more juice left.

Closed Thread