HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Flyers re-sign Tom Sestito

Old
06-14-2011, 08:41 PM
six sigma
Seahawks/Flyers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
He has Dave Schultz as his twitter avatar.
I'd sign him just for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldberg The Goalie View Post
Watching him often in the AHL, and a little with the Blue Jackets, he reminds me of the new tough guy breed like Shawn Thorton.
Good, I love players who are tough as nails but skilled enough to play more than 3 minutes per game.

six sigma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:44 PM
SolidSnakeUS

If Sestito has a one-way contract, I could see Shelley being buried in the minors because of it.

SolidSnakeUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:45 PM
Beastieboy

Will "Tom the Bomb" replace Carbomb? Legitimate shot at making this team?

Beastieboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 08:52 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Just out of curiosity...what are the rules surrounding the salary differences on 2-way contracts?

Can you give a player a 2-way contract where the AHL salary is close to the NHL salary, or is there some kind of proportion?
not 100% sure, but you can have the AHL salary at any % of the NHL salary

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:52 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

From when he was acquired...

Quote:
Sestito, 24, had 32 points and 192 penalty minutes with Springfield. He also played nine games with Columbus in the NHL, scoring two goals. A native of Rome, N.Y., he was a third-round pick by the Blue Jackets in 2006.

Sestito is a restricted free agent at season's end, but he appears to be in the Flyers' future plans.

"He's a big kid that we've always liked," general manager Paul Holmgren told PhillySportsDaily.com. "And we think he's got a chance to play at some point for us - whether it be later this year or certainly next year, he'll get a good look."

Moore returns to the Columbus organization, who also traded for him last March. He played four games with the Blue Jackets last season.

"A great Leader, A Great Player, And overall A (darn) Great Guy! You will be missed here," Phantoms forward Mike Testwuide wrote on Twitter.

http://poststar.com/sports/article_0...cc4c002e0.html

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 09:53 PM
BernieParent

Sestito's first job as a Flyer: find Winter and threaten his family unless Bryzgalov signs for a $4 mil/year cap hit.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:04 AM
SeanVT395
It's Not Even Close

If he replaces Shelley this season i'll be ecstatic. The new Asham as the way it looks

SeanVT395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:52 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidelappel View Post
Just out of curiosity...what are the rules surrounding the salary differences on 2-way contracts?

Can you give a player a 2-way contract where the AHL salary is close to the NHL salary, or is there some kind of proportion?
Yes, there isn't any connection between NHL and AHL salary, they are independent from each other. Both are negotiated separately.

There is an indirect maximum salary for AHL players at $105K p/a. Players who earn as much or less don't have to pass through re-entry waivers if they are called up. (except other rules)

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 05:41 AM
Fulton44*

Sestito will get AT LEAST 635K, he has to. Because of his low salary he requires a 10% raise to even have been qualified, which takes his salary to 635K. I would guess he got a one year, two-way deal for 635-650K. If he ends up having got a one way deal that will say a lot about what the organization thinks of him.

I like Sestito and think he has an excellent shot of making the team out of camp, but I want to caution people who are expecting a "Shelley replacement." Sestito is 6'5 230 and he does drop the gloves with some regularity but he is NOT a big time heavyweight enforcer. Sestito is actually more of a tweener prospect as in not really talented enough to be considered a true PF, but not a heavyweight enforcer either. That doesn't mean he can't easily find a niche for himself in the NHL as someone who can fight a little, score a little, and provide depth for an NHL team, but don't expect some big time enforcer.

I will say this, not only because of needing to make room for Bryzgalov, but just in the cap era in general, there is no need to be paying Jody Shelley and Dan Carcillo 1.1 million each when you can have young kids like Sestito and Rinaldo taking their spots at half the price. Again Sestito isn't a pure replacement for Shelley, but he can take that spot, same with Rinaldo as it relates to Carcillo.

As for Carcillo, I don't think it's a lock that he isn't back. I think it comes down to a choice between Carcillo and Nodl for a third line spot. I expect the organization to choose Nodl, but I wouldnt' be shocked if they moved him and kept Carcillo. I do think the organization likes carcillo, he just makes too much money for this team to be on the fourth line.

Fulton44* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 06:22 AM
Rick Deckard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fulton44 View Post
Sestito will get AT LEAST 635K, he has to. Because of his low salary he requires a 10% raise to even have been qualified, which takes his salary to 635K. I would guess he got a one year, two-way deal for 635-650K. If he ends up having got a one way deal that will say a lot about what the organization thinks of him.
Just for the record, he can sign for less than the Qualifying Offer (110% for contracts under $1MM). Riley Cote, for example, signed an one-way contract for $500K as his last contract.

Rick Deckard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:09 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanVT395 View Post
If he replaces Shelley this season i'll be ecstatic. The new Asham as the way it looks
Idk, Asham was a really good scorer in juniors. I think Sestito only had 1 good year there, but still if he can skate, play a good hard shift and not take stupid penalties or be a defensive liability that's all we need.

Protest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:19 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Sestito/Powe - Drury - Rinaldo/Powe

I could live very happily with that. Betts is out of the team in this equation. Back to the fourth line of old.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:19 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Sestito/Powe - Drury - Rinaldo/Powe

I could live very happily with that. Betts is out of the team in this equation. Back to the fourth line of old.

If you're going to go balls out and sign Drury to the fourth line (when he's much better than that) you're keeping Betts around.

If you want to put Drury in the middle, that's fine, but Betts is on the wing over ANYONE else.

You don't just drop defensive play like that because you feel like it.

I'm a little annoyed that people here are forgetting who Betts is. That's like dropping Laperriere from this team because you can. I respect Lappy as much as the next guy, but the only thing he's done differently than Betts here is get hit in the face with a puck. Before you shout "blasphemy" at me, think about it. Betts is important to this team defensively, particularly on the PK. I hope his shoulder heals so he can dominate the dot again.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:28 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post

If you're going to go balls out and sign Drury to the fourth line (when he's much better than that) you're keeping Betts around.

If you want to put Drury in the middle, that's fine, but Betts is on the wing over ANYONE else.

You don't just drop defensive play like that because you feel like it.

I'm a little annoyed that people here are forgetting who Betts is. That's like dropping Laperriere from this team because you can. I respect Lappy as much as the next guy, but the only thing he's done differently than Betts here is get hit in the face with a puck. Before you shout "blasphemy" at me, think about it. Betts is important to this team defensively, particularly on the PK. I hope his shoulder heals so he can dominate the dot again.
betts >> lappy
imo

also, he is effing RIPPED and is actually a pretty big guy (bigger than i think people notice)

very clutch, 700k is a REALLY good cap hit for what he brings.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:32 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
Agreed. We should keep Betts, put him on the wing. He's a damned good PKer too.

06-15-2011, 01:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
betts >> lappy
imo
You're giving that to him because Lappy was a bigger locker room presence and overall team leader. Lappy left a bigger impact, and may have been slightly better defensively.

The on-ice single player impact of each though was not remarkably different from what I saw game in and game out. Betts actually may have had a bigger impact when his shoulder was healthy. He was a great defensive center.

Anyway that's not really what's important here. Betts stays.

Old
06-15-2011, 01:42 PM
2Claude2Giroux

Would anyone else be fine with dropping Powe?

I mean, I like his speed but I'd like to see them take a new direction.

2Claude2Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:47 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post

You mean the cheap, fast, physical, and perfect fourth line winger who plays defense without taking penalties?

Brilliant...

Old
06-15-2011, 01:51 PM
lancer247

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Claude2Giroux View Post

I would. I think they should decide betweeen Nodl or Powe. The Flyers have plenty of Powe in their pipeline (Kalinksi, Wellwood, etc).

I think they could get guys like Winchester or Jarko Rutuu for similar salary that bring more size.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:54 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
I would. I think they should decide betweeen Nodl or Powe. The Flyers have plenty of Powe in their pipeline (Kalinksi, Wellwood, etc).

I think they could get guys like Winchester or Jarko Rutuu for similar salary that bring more size.
A. Kalinksi is about to be gone I bet.
B. Nodl is necessary for cheap in the top 9.
C. Nodl is not like Powe.
D. Wellwood is trying to be a top 9 forward because he has much better hands and I don't necessarily feel he would survive in a fourth line role.
E. Wellwood is not like Powe.
F. You want to spend more money for guys would be do basically what Powe does for spare cap space?

Old
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
lancer247

Quote:
A. Kalinksi is about to be gone I bet.
B. Nodl is necessary for cheap in the top 9.
C. Nodl is not like Powe.
D. Wellwood is trying to be a top 9 forward because he has much better hands and I don't necessarily feel he would survive in a fourth line role.
E. Wellwood is not like Powe.
F. You want to spend more money for guys would be do basically what Powe does for spare cap space?
Powe is a plumber. There are plenty of plumbers in and out of the org that can be had for his same salary. They have Richards, Nodl, Giroux, Betts, Carter, Versteeg (if he stays) to PK.

There is not a significant drop off from Powe to Kalinski tyoe players. They're all plumbers.

Wellwood's jury is still out as to whether he can finish and stay in the top 9.

I like Powe but my point is if the team is going to add size then they need to reduce the duplication that comes with guys like Powe and Nodl.

lancer247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:16 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer247 View Post
Powe is a plumber. There are plenty of plumbers in and out of the org that can be had for his same salary. They have Richards, Nodl, Giroux, Betts, Carter, Versteeg (if he stays) to PK.

There is not a significant drop off from Powe to Kalinski tyoe players. They're all plumbers.

Wellwood's jury is still out as to whether he can finish and stay in the top 9.

I like Powe but my point is if the team is going to add size then they need to reduce the duplication that comes with guys like Powe and Nodl.
POWE IS NOT NODL. NODL IS NOT POWE.

I agree on all your points (except I want to keep Powe). You're fine with the belief that Powe is a dime-a-dozen player, but we have players here that bring different things to the table. Acknowledge that they are different instead of putting them all together in one bundle because it's easy.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Powe strikes me as the potential Asham of this offseason; he's the guy who doesn't really get appreciated fully until he's gone.

He's a damned good, proven 4th liner who does an excellent job on the PK.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Just in case people are curious...

Powe led our team in hits in 2010-11: 196

2nd in 2009-10 (behind Carcillo): 183

And 3rd in 2008-09 (with only 60 GP): 124.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:26 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

Quote:
Just in case people are curious...

Powe led our team in hits in 2010-11: 196

2nd in 2009-10 (behind Carcillo): 183

And 3rd in 2008-09 (with only 60 GP): 124.
I wasn't aware of that. I used to joke that Powe's chief skill is going fast and running into things, but it turns out that's actually the case.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote