HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desharnais/Brière

Old
06-14-2011, 11:13 PM
Ceux de Montreal
Horrible proposal!!!

vCash: 500
Desharnais/Brière

Does anyone see similarities between Daniel Brière and David Desharnais? They struck to me as very similar player following kind of a similar path too. I mean obviously Brière is a former 1st round pick and Desharnais went undrafted, but they both joined the pros late. They are small, not overly quick, but have good on ice vision, are feisty and have great puck skills.

I'm not saying Desharnais will ever reach Brière's level, where I'm heading with this is we have been putting Desharnais aside because he's a center and we have no room for him. Though, Briere adapted quite well as a winger even though he is small... Maybe Desharnais could also translate his game as a left or right winger and we could keep him in the organization. Because with Plekanec, Leblanc and Eller, I see no room for Desharnais in the future as a centerman.

What do you think?

Ceux de Montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 11:24 PM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Desharnais is way behind on the development of chirping and dirty play.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:11 AM
Freaky Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceux de Montreal View Post
Does anyone see similarities between Daniel Brière and David Desharnais? They struck to me as very similar player following kind of a similar path too. I mean obviously Brière is a former 1st round pick and Desharnais went undrafted, but they both joined the pros late. They are small, not overly quick, but have good on ice vision, are feisty and have great puck skills.

I'm not saying Desharnais will ever reach Brière's level, where I'm heading with this is we have been putting Desharnais aside because he's a center and we have no room for him. Though, Briere adapted quite well as a winger even though he is small... Maybe Desharnais could also translate his game as a left or right winger and we could keep him in the organization. Because with Plekanec, Leblanc and Eller, I see no room for Desharnais in the future as a centerman.

What do you think?
Leblanc could always be used as a winger. Eller is a counterman and should stay one though.

As for Desharnaies, it all depends what he'll do this season and the one after. If he's great and produce offensively, Martin will have to find him an important spot on the team.

Freaky Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:17 AM
ScopeHockey

To me Desharnais is much more of cerebral playmaker (e.g. Backstrom), and Briere is more of an explosive sniper type of player (e.g. Kessel).

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:17 AM
PATCHESx67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freaky Habs Fan View Post
Leblanc could always be used as a winger. Eller is a counterman and should stay one though.

As for Desharnaies, it all depends what he'll do this season and the one after. If he's great and produce offensively, Martin will have to find him an important spot on the team.
amen

PATCHESx67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:19 AM
Kebekoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattKOTW View Post
Desharnais is way behind on the development of chirping and dirty play.
He have to practice his fist pumping and huge forehead skills.

Kebekoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:50 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
To me Desharnais is much more of cerebral playmaker (e.g. Backstrom), and Briere is more of an explosive sniper type of player (e.g. Kessel).
I see this as well. Though of course Backstrom is a p i m p

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:50 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:

What do you think?
Briere is bigger, thicker and a more explosive skater.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:32 AM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
Briere is a better skater. Is a better goal scorer. Has better stick handling and elusiveness.

Not even close.

WeThreeKings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 09:36 AM
cap10bfl

Send a message via MSN to cap10bfl
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Briere is a better skater. Is a better goal scorer. Has better stick handling and elusiveness.

Not even close.
indeed all of the above....

if and a big IF there was a player i would compare DD to in style of play is st-louis, thats why i would prefer DD play on the wing

cap10bfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:07 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I think DD just needs to bulk up, guys like Gionta, St Louis are small but strong, if you ever see Gionta in interviews, you can see he has big arms.

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:22 AM
ScopeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs03 View Post
I think DD just needs to bulk up, guys like Gionta, St Louis are small but strong, if you ever see Gionta in interviews, you can see he has big arms.
I don't see the St-Louis comparison. Like Briere, St-Louis is very explosive and I just don't see that in Desharnais. Desharnais' strengths are much more based on his vision and smarts. Cory Stillman / Ray Whitney are comparisons that I see as more appropriate.

ScopeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScopeHockey View Post
I don't see the St-Louis comparison. Like Briere, St-Louis is very explosive and I just don't see that in Desharnais. Desharnais' strengths are much more based on his vision and smarts. Cory Stillman / Ray Whitney are comparisons that I see as more appropriate.
I really like the Ray Whitney comparison.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:26 AM
overlords
Hfboards

I think briere is a tad faster.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:37 AM
DogsFan*
GHG

Briere is a better goalscorer. Desharnais is better with the puck and the better playmaker.

DogsFan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:49 AM
Habiton

If Desharnais can increase his foot speed and explosiveness he could be really, really dangerous.

He is kind of in the awkward stage of, not fast enough to be a big success in the NHL but good enough to stay.

He needs to get more agile, and I think he has the work ethic to do so.

Habiton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:52 AM
Patrice Brisebois

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post

Not even close.
This.

I don't see any similarities at all, aside from them both being Quebecers.

Patrice Brisebois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:53 AM
Joe Cole

Briere is a goal scorer with speed and some grit.

Desharnais may develop into a playmaker, not that fast, and needs at least a season with success before he can even be considered an NHL'r.

Until then, the similarities are that they are undersized, play a forward position and they are french canadian.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 10:55 AM
habitue*

Quote:

What do you think?
Brière is a top-class skater and a better scorer. He is also more chippy.

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:18 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Brière has a hell of a shot. He can pick a corner from 2 feet in front of the net. I don"t know if DD can do that, but I still love him and his style of play.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 11:30 AM
Em Ancien
Sexy 2nd Rounder

I've seen Briere from his days in the Q to now.

All I can say is : lol.

Em Ancien is offline   Reply With Quote