HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tambellini listening to offers for 1st overall

Old
06-11-2011, 07:11 PM
Habs

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by not quite yoda View Post
I am French.
Are you sure? How did you identify Weber as French, and forget about Pouliot then?

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:22 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
I am French.

Nobody on these boards cares how many French players plays for this team as long as they perform well. We do not want a French team, we want the best team.
Of course nobody cares on this board, it's an english board.

Quote:
Molson, Gainey, Gauthier and Martin want the best team not the French team. The proof is our only French players are Darche, Weber and Desharnais.

Yea and look at how glorious it has been in the last 15 years. You must have been really impressed by your non-french Habs.

Personaly I find the days of Roy, Lafleur and Richard much more admirable.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:30 PM
Miller Time

Quote:
I am French.

Nobody on these boards cares how many French players plays for this team as long as they perform well. We do not want a French team, we want the best team.

Molson, Gainey, Gauthier and Martin want the best team not the French team. The proof is our only French players are Darche, Weber and Desharnais.

Go see what Peladeau and Labeaume think.
I want the Habs to b the best, first and foremost...

But if given the choice, I'd prefer French-Canadians or Anglo-quebeckers (in other words "local" talent) leading the team.

Any time a sports franchise has success with local talent it makes the victory and associated community pride that much more intense

Miller Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 07:37 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post

Yea and look at how glorious it has been in the last 15 years. You must have been really impressed by your non-french Habs.

That's a silly chauvinistic argument. Roy, Lafleur, and Richard (my all-time hockey hero) didn't do it alone. But if you're going to pursue it anyway while ignoring the key players who weren't of French descent, how come the Lightning didn't make the playoffs for years despite having LeCavalier and St. Louis until they drafted Stamkos and signed Roloson, Purcell, Bergenheim, and a few others who didn't trace their ancestry back to Nantes, Bordeaux, Lyons, Marseilles, or Paris, etc.? I suppose you didn't notice that the Bolts declined rapidly from their Cup season after Brad Richards departed.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000
*Zing!*

1-0 Teufeldreck!

Ice Poutine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:00 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs View Post
Are you sure? How did you identify Weber as French, and forget about Pouliot then?
that s true pouliot is french. i probably forgot him because he is not a part of my 2012 projections. we can use his cap hit elsewhere.

not quite yoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2011, 08:10 PM
not quite yoda

Quote:

the Richard days? keep living in the past.

we have a salary cap, 30 teams and an entry draft. it is a very highly competitive league now. at least we make the playoffs nearly every year. half the teams don't do that much and they are trying.

You can not just grab the top French kids anymore. First of all you have to have to finish out of the playoffs (way out) to draft a Lafleur (1st overall). You can't just trade Ralph Backstrom and screw a team out of the 1st pick. Other teams are smarter now and they don't let themselves get screwed out of the best 2 players of the province of Quebec anymore.

But hey, if you think it is so easy getting a Richard or Lafleur on the habs today, then name me which French kid is that good in today's NHL? And how exactly do we acquire him? We don't have the 1st overall pick because we are competitive. What should we trade for the 1st pick? Why would the Oilers trade us the 1st pick? They are re-building themselves.

The top French kid is Huberdeau this year. You want us to move Subban ++ to get him? Because that would be the cost.

Stop living in the past man, we are in 2011 now. Embrace the present.

Old
06-11-2011, 08:22 PM
not quite yoda

And another thing, when I spend 200+$ to go to to a hockey game, it is to watch the BEST players in the world play HOCKEY. I don't go to the game to hear them sing the national anthem. If it's French you are interested in may I recommend a Celine Dion concert, she sings French, half the time. What I am interested in is stickhandling and passing. They don't get paid all this money to talk. Who cares if they give their post game interview in French or English? Most fans barely pay any attention to that. It's the goals they score that matter to people.

Old
06-12-2011, 11:03 AM
loadie
Official Beer Taster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun2083 View Post
ahhh not worth it, i like the team we are building towards. and it involves both patches and eller
True, but that's the kind of deal the Oilers would be looking for to move that 1st pick.

loadie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-14-2011, 10:24 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:

Apart from goalies, Quebec has stopped producing great hockey players. There hasn't been a French Canadian megastar since Mario Lemieux. The only (non goalie) true superstar in the league right now is Martin St. Louis.

Not sure how that's the Canadiens' fault.

Lafleurs Guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:41 AM
stubbadub

Man, all I have to say about this is **** Tambellini. That guy is a goofy looking schmuck. He won't move the first overall, he's just trying to pull a Gauthier and try to screw with the whole draft day, and have more GMs and fans talking. Buddy's got scrub written all over him. Why not take the Pittsburgh approach to winning?

stubbadub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 12:43 AM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbadub View Post
Buddy's got scrub written all over him. Why not take the Pittsburgh approach to winning?
You mean totally tank when there are only franchise players available in that draft year? I agree.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 01:37 AM
FlyingKostitsyn

Quote:

Our french players were consistantly troublesome unfortunately. Some of the most ''quebec'' habs squad were in the early 2000 (with the mighty Poulin, Chouinard, Delisle, Gratton, late Brunet, Perreault, Traverse, Dykhuis, Quintal, Ribeiro, Brisebois, Theo, Laflamme, Robidas ect. They weren't glorious at all. While most of them were scrubs some were still core players and we got nowhere with them.

In the end its not about language, its about talent, attitude and hard work. More importantly even its about building a team with chemistry.

Furthermore there aren't that many great up and coming Quebec players. Lecavalier and St. Louis aren't getting younger and won't move from TB (its not like we didn't attempt 12 times to get Lecavalier from then anyways). Other than that you have Perron and Vlasic that are molding into good players, Brassard that can't really put it together (and that CBJ likely won't move, altho I'd give him a try if they ever want to trade him), some useful but non-key players like Vermette (that CBJ won't move and that we don't really need). Dirt bags with huge contracts like Briere and hmm thats pretty much it. Of course theres Ribeiro (not getting better than he is now) and Latendresse (who's career is now getting decimated by injuries), in both cases the ship has sailed. Then there are useful but ultimately secondary guys like Lapierre or Talbot...

Let us hope Leblanc ends up being good. Sadly we are in a time were star players from Quebec are a rarity. You can't count on them to build a winning team as they are basically unavailable. This is why the team has drafted in Canada and the USA for years and we should all be happy they drafted MaxPac instead of Esposito, or Subban instead of Veilleux.

Hopefully Huberdeau and Couturier (ok New Brunswicker, but a french one. although these guys keep saying ''right'' every three words while talking french. anyways.) become good ones.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 07:30 AM
JesusBouillon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
The best package we could afford to offer would be:

1st
Eller
Kostitsyn/Pouliot

And I don't think Edmonton will want to.

And nor would I.
I'd do that in a heartbeat. Huberdeau would look great in bleu blanc rouge.

JesusBouillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:11 AM
Naoned
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
That's a silly chauvinistic argument. Roy, Lafleur, and Richard (my all-time hockey hero) didn't do it alone. But if you're going to pursue it anyway while ignoring the key players who weren't of French descent, how come the Lightning didn't make the playoffs for years despite having LeCavalier and St. Louis until they drafted Stamkos and signed Roloson, Purcell, Bergenheim, and a few others who didn't trace their ancestry back to Nantes, Bordeaux, Lyons, Marseilles, or Paris, etc.? I suppose you didn't notice that the Bolts declined rapidly from their Cup season after Brad Richards departed.
Nice job naming Nantes first.

Naoned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:26 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller Time View Post
I want the Habs to b the best, first and foremost...

But if given the choice, I'd prefer French-Canadians or Anglo-quebeckers (in other words "local" talent) leading the team.

Any time a sports franchise has success with local talent it makes the victory and associated community pride that much more intense
I don't get how some people don't get this. Montreal is one of the NHL teams with the opportunity to have local players since so many come from the Q. So all things equal why not go with the local guy.

JLP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:29 AM
Montreal Typical

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
There hasn't been a French Canadian megastar since Mario Lemieux.
There hasn't been a "megastar" since Hasek. Lemieux is the last forward "megastar".

Crosby and Ovechkin are at least two tiers below Lemieux -- players like Jagr being in the tier between them -- and they're the best in the league right now.

Quebec hasn't been very good at developing players for a while, but let's not pretend that "megastars", as you call them, are even remotely close to common. Guys like Lemieux are the kind that pop up once in a generation if we're lucky.

Montreal Typical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:38 AM
overlords
Hfboards

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLP View Post
I don't get how some people don't get this. Montreal is one of the NHL teams with the opportunity to have local players since so many come from the Q. So all things equal why not go with the local guy.
The habs have tried to go with the local guy when they've had a chance. Usually blows up in their face. As much as I'd love more Quebecois on this team, it's just not half as easy as most of you make it sound.

overlords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:45 AM
MathMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railman View Post
Crosby and Ovechkin are at least two tiers below Lemieux -- players like Jagr being in the tier between them -- and they're the best in the league right now.
It's dangerous to compare eras like that. Lemieux and Gretzky played in an era where goals came like water and goaltenders were, quite frankly, crap. Unscreened slapshots from the wings were legitimate scoring shots in those days.

Even in the endangered New NHL, there simply isn't as many goals being scored now as there was then. If Lemieux or Gretzky or Orr played today, even at the peak of their powers, neither could match their previous production. There are ways to adjust for era effects, but they're of course fraught with imprecision.

MathMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 08:48 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
And another thing, when I spend 200+$ to go to to a hockey game, it is to watch the BEST players in the world play HOCKEY. I don't go to the game to hear them sing the national anthem. If it's French you are interested in may I recommend a Celine Dion concert, she sings French, half the time. What I am interested in is stickhandling and passing. They don't get paid all this money to talk. Who cares if they give their post game interview in French or English? Most fans barely pay any attention to that. It's the goals they score that matter to people.

Sorry can't resist editing this as if a boston fan wrote it:

And another thing, when I spend $120+ to go to to a hockey game, it is to watch the BEST players in the world FIGHT. (I also go to the game to hear Rancourt sing the national anthem.) If its SKATING and SKILL you are interested in may I recommend Disney on Ice. What I am interested in is scrums after the whistle, spears to the groin and teeth on the ice. Who cares if they give their post game interview in the locker room or from an intensive care ward? Most fans barely pay any attention to that. It's the belligerence they bring and the bones they break that matter to people.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:22 AM
JLP
La Sainte-Flanelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathMan View Post
It's dangerous to compare eras like that. Lemieux and Gretzky played in an era where goals came like water and goaltenders were, quite frankly, crap. Unscreened slapshots from the wings were legitimate scoring shots in those days.
Sounds like the first ten minutes of Monday's game . . .

Anyway can't blame Tambellini for dangling the pick, see who bites.

Old
06-15-2011, 09:23 AM
pine

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusBouillon View Post
I'd do that in a heartbeat. Huberdeau would look great in bleu blanc rouge.
So would RNH.

pine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-15-2011, 02:06 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
the Richard days? keep living in the past.

we have a salary cap, 30 teams and an entry draft. it is a very highly competitive league now. at least we make the playoffs nearly every year. half the teams don't do that much and they are trying.

You can not just grab the top French kids anymore. First of all you have to have to finish out of the playoffs (way out) to draft a Lafleur (1st overall). You can't just trade Ralph Backstrom and screw a team out of the 1st pick. Other teams are smarter now and they don't let themselves get screwed out of the best 2 players of the province of Quebec anymore.

But hey, if you think it is so easy getting a Richard or Lafleur on the habs today, then name me which French kid is that good in today's NHL? And how exactly do we acquire him? We don't have the 1st overall pick because we are competitive. What should we trade for the 1st pick? Why would the Oilers trade us the 1st pick? They are re-building themselves.

The top French kid is Huberdeau this year. You want us to move Subban ++ to get him? Because that would be the cost.

Stop living in the past man, we are in 2011 now. Embrace the present.
We have to live in the past because the present sucks. BTW there's no way I would trade Subban.

Old
06-15-2011, 02:08 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingKostitsyn View Post
Our french players were consistantly troublesome unfortunately. Some of the most ''quebec'' habs squad were in the early 2000 (with the mighty Poulin, Chouinard, Delisle, Gratton, late Brunet, Perreault, Traverse, Dykhuis, Quintal, Ribeiro, Brisebois, Theo, Laflamme, Robidas ect. They weren't glorious at all. While most of them were scrubs some were still core players and we got nowhere with them.

In the end its not about language, its about talent, attitude and hard work. More importantly even its about building a team with chemistry.

Furthermore there aren't that many great up and coming Quebec players. Lecavalier and St. Louis aren't getting younger and won't move from TB (its not like we didn't attempt 12 times to get Lecavalier from then anyways). Other than that you have Perron and Vlasic that are molding into good players, Brassard that can't really put it together (and that CBJ likely won't move, altho I'd give him a try if they ever want to trade him), some useful but non-key players like Vermette (that CBJ won't move and that we don't really need). Dirt bags with huge contracts like Briere and hmm thats pretty much it. Of course theres Ribeiro (not getting better than he is now) and Latendresse (who's career is now getting decimated by injuries), in both cases the ship has sailed. Then there are useful but ultimately secondary guys like Lapierre or Talbot...

Let us hope Leblanc ends up being good. Sadly we are in a time were star players from Quebec are a rarity. You can't count on them to build a winning team as they are basically unavailable. This is why the team has drafted in Canada and the USA for years and we should all be happy they drafted MaxPac instead of Esposito, or Subban instead of Veilleux.

Hopefully Huberdeau and Couturier (ok New Brunswicker, but a french one. although these guys keep saying ''right'' every three words while talking french. anyways.) become good ones.
That is why when there's a french kid with talent we have to grab him because there are so few of them.

Old
06-15-2011, 08:40 PM
Halifaxhab*

Montreal is better off keeping their assets and signing Francophones to fill bottom6/#5-7 dman roles. they tend to cost next to noting and play way above their pay thanks to the inspiration of playing in Montreal. As the higher paid players tend to follow the $$$ while the lower tier guys play harder becaus playing there means something.

Halifaxhab* is offline   Reply With Quote